Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I have started with the excellent Xecutah / XServer / Ubuntu Chroot packages, and I have been putting together an image file and an "easy" set of scripts to make it easier to get up and running with a full Ubuntu without having to get into doctoring, partitioning, apt-getting, configuring, etc.

I have set all of this up for the TouchPad, so I have no idea if any of it will work on the other WebOS devices.

These scripts are modified versions of my Maemo Easy Debian (Download page) scripts.

My Ubuntu image has the following features:
    - LXDE
    - fat, finger-friendly scrollbars
    - big fonts, big task bar
    - touch-and-hold right-click emulation
    - Florence on-screen keyboard
    - Chromium & Firefox with touch-friendly plug-ins pre-installed
    - Gimp image editor
    - LibreOffice office suite
    - passwordless sudo (easy root access for multimedia)
    - working VLC, Flash (gnash) and music player (LXMusic)

The scripts have the following features:
    - new line added to Xecutah for one-click start
    - One-click starting of Ubuntu LXDE (mount image file, chroot, start LXDE)
    - Scripts to mount image file (qmount) and run chroot apps (qchroot)
    - Settings file where you can configure the scripts (/home/root/.chroot)
    - Script to kill all Ubuntu apps and unmount image file (closechroot script)

This is still far from "easy" however, since I have only the compressed image file and a tarball of scripts, nothing that is Preware-installable. So only those who can uncompress files from a tarball into the home folder will be able to test this out.

First, here are the files:
    ubuntu-webos-chroot-v2.img.ext3.bz2 - the current image file
    ubuntu-webos-chroot.img.ext3.bz2 - the original image file (no VLC, Flash or working audio)
    webos-qchroot-scripts.tar.gz - the scripts

You need to download the image file, decompress it, rename it to ubuntu-chroot.img.ext3, and put it into your /media/internal folder (the one that is mounted via USB) Put the compressed scripts file there, too.

EDIT: NEW instructions to put the scripts on the device!

Code:
    cd /home/root
    tar xzvf /media/internal/webos-qchroot-scripts.tar.gz
    cd qscripts
    ./movescripts
    ** You must reboot now to see the new line added to Xecutah.

I'm not posting any shiny pictures here because I don't want to attract new users yet, just some seasoned hacker-types to help me get this stuff ready for prime time.

What I would like help with:
    - Packaging this into my own package
    - Getting included into Xecutah (or starting without visibly needing Xecutah)
    - Figuring out how to make closechroot into an icon
    - Making an image installer that lets you choose which image you want to install
    Last edited by qole; 10/11/2011 at 07:03 PM. Reason: new v2 image file
    Awwww yeahhhh. Was hoping we'd see an Easy Debian port of sorts. Will give this a try asap.

Quote Originally Posted by qole View Post
    What I would like help with:
    - Packaging this into my own package
    - Getting included into Xecutah (or starting without visibly needing Xecutah)
    - Figuring out how to make closechroot into an icon
    - Making an image installer that lets you choose which image you want to install
    A fair bit of this has been covered at length in the TightVNC thread. From what I can understand, at the moment you can't add to Xecutah through an ipk installation (although a script will be able to do it fine).

See:
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...ml#post3169900
    Last edited by izzeho; 09/28/2011 at 05:08 AM.
    Gave it a go and bricked my TP. Although that could have been any number of things I've done since the last reboot (I.e. accidentally overwriting /bin/mount with a text file for example =/).

I did note I got permissions errors trying to extract the tar script and then it wouldn't start through Xecutah. I'll try on a clean install.
  4.    #4  
    My browser has stopped working recently. I'm not sure if untarring the scripts did it. Is that what happened to you? I'm not sure why copying some scripts would break things like that!

The permissions errors are harmless, however.
    My browser has stopped working recently. I'm not sure if untarring the scripts did it. Is that what happened to you? I'm not sure why copying some scripts would break things like that!

The permissions errors are harmless, however.
    Figured the permissions errors were harmless. And yes that was the problem I was having, which is what led me to the reboot, which bricked it (I'm now certain the brick wasn't this scripts fault however). Was just under the assumption the browser was related to that, but I've just tried it again and it's killed the browser again (without even trying to execute it at all).

About the closest thing that I can see that'd even remotely have a chance of damaging is the .bashrc file. Or perhaps the permissions errors modifying permissions on other files.
  6.    #6  
    Weird. Until I figure this out, I'll take out the script instructions...
  7.    #7  
    Ok, I've fixed the script install so it doesn't trash your device

Instructions added to OP:

Code:
    cd /home/root
    tar xzvf /media/internal/webos-qchroot-scripts.tar.gz
    cd qscripts
    ./movescripts
  8.    #8  
    New challenge: my new start-xterm.sh script no longer works; only the original script starts. My script is running, because the image is mounted afterwards, but LXDE doesn't start for some reason. Puzzling.
    Ok, I've fixed the script install so it doesn't trash your device
    So what exactly was wrong?

New challenge: my new start-xterm.sh script no longer works; only the original script starts. My script is running, because the image is mounted afterwards, but LXDE doesn't start for some reason. Puzzling.
    Doesn't fill me with confidence trying this version either :P.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by izzeho View Post
    So what exactly was wrong?
    It seems to have been caused by using my Ubuntu PC; the user group was set to "plugdev", and it probably messed the permissions on some of the system folders.

Doesn't fill me with confidence trying this version either :P.
    I don't blame you. You stilll have to type "qchroot" at a prompt and then "exit", then the stock Ubuntu chroot will work. But I want to get it working by just pressing a button.

I'm going to set things up as described in the TigerVNC thread, so I can package it as a Preware app.
    shneor likes this.
  11.    #11  
    Scripts are fixed. It was just a silly "DISPLAY=:0" line in my startlxde script...
    One question - can this exist alongside an existing debian or ubuntu installation on the webos device (Touchpad in my case). I've resized my logical volumes to prepare for debian installation and now have an ext3 filesystem mounted on /media/ext3fs.

Code:
    # mount | grep media/ext3fs                                                                         
    /dev/mapper/store-ext3fs on /media/ext3fs type ext3 (rw,noatime,errors=continue,barrier=0,data=writeback)
    So I'm just checking that it doesn't attempt to use the same mount point/name space or anything else that could mess things up.
    Scripts are fixed. It was just a silly "DISPLAY=:0" line in my startlxde script...
    Alright if you believe this version will work I'll give it a try tonight or tomorrow.

On a complete off topic, how are you finding the dev environment under WebOS? I'm finding it rather depressing after using something as great as Maemo (which to me has far more applications than the Ubuntu repo's even). I'm so use to dependencies already being compiled and available with a single apt-get.

I'd love to see a Maemo chroot of sorts, if only to get things like python, qt and an 'on device' build essentials setup.

Quote Originally Posted by alex80386 View Post
    So I'm just checking that it doesn't attempt to use the same mount point/name space or anything else that could mess things up.
    It will (hopefully, as it's an alpha) be contained with in the .ext3 file that'll exist where you copy it to in /media/internal and will boot instead of the Ubuntu option in Xecutah. It doesn't overwrite it, but you have to run a script to "unmount" it and have it use your regular Ubuntu installation.

I believe his intention is to eventually have it install as a standalone "Easy Debian" chroot.
    BOBIE likes this.
  14.    #14  
    Currently, I do mount my chroot over the /media/ext3fs mountpoint, for compatibility reasons, but it is non-destructive, nothing is lost. It hides your other mounts at that location, but if you run "closechroot" you will see your partitions again.

The whole point of my project is to avoid partitioning.

And yes, once I have the chroot scripts working, I will be making a Maemo chroot image.
    Just a quick question. Do your image includes a IPV6 stack? Sorry if this sounds stupid. Ive tried the preware chroot and could not compile miredo cause of no IPV6 support.
  16.    #16  
    Isn't IPV6 a kernel-level thing? I think that's a request for the uberkernel team... The chroot shares the webos kernel, so no USB host or other such drivers.
    Ok so gave it a go and it works nicely. About only issue was on last line of manuscripts nudie needs a -p so it doesn't error out.
  18.    #18  
    About only issue was on last line of manuscripts nudie needs a -p so it doesn't error out.
    I'm not sure what this means. I don't have a "nudie" script...
    I'm not sure what this means. I don't have a "nudie" script...
    Touchpad auto correct while I was doing other things... The last line of the movescript file mkdir should be mkdir -p otherwise it error's out as it already exists (granted everything else gets done anyway..)
    Any reason you haven't edited fstab to automount WebOS files? Or is it mounted another way and someplace else?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast