Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1.    #21  
    My scripts mount the image file on first run, and if you want to plug your device into USB you can't have the image file mounted, so you have to run closechroot. I don't want to automount the image file for this reason.

And yes, the last line is just to make sure the directory exists, I don't care if it gets an error.
    Come help me get my Chroot Scripts working!
    Quote Originally Posted by qole View Post
    My scripts mount the image file on first run, and if you want to plug your device into USB you can't have the image file mounted, so you have to run closechroot. I don't want to automount the image file for this reason.
    I'm referring to mounting INSIDE the chroot. I.e. so you can see WebOS files under the ubuntu chroot.

Eg.
    Code:
    cat /media/ext3fs/ubuntu-natty-chroot/etc/fstab
    /dev/mapper/store-media /media/internal vfat 0 0
    Last edited by izzeho; 10/04/2011 at 01:47 AM.
  3.    #23  
    My scripts mount everything I could think of as part of the chroot process, so /media/internal is be available to Ubuntu apps using my scripts. I don't think fstab has much effect inside a chroot...
    My scripts mount everything I could think of as part of the chroot process, so /media/internal is be available to Ubuntu apps using my scripts. I don't think fstab has much effect inside a chroot...
    Hmm, okay. I just found it under /media/internal. I'd swear it wasn't there before. Also if your interested in getting audio working:

You'll need gamix installed and then follow these posts.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...ml#post3139151

Latest edition of the auto configuration script seems to do a few other steps as well.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...on-ubuntu.html

Might want to shamelessly rip a few things from that.

Also VLC runs fantastically under the Chroot, you should give it a go (cannot remember if it was preinstalled under your image...)
  5.    #25  
    Next version of the image will have working sound, Flash, and VLC.
    pre101 and phanste like this.
  6.    #26  
    Sadly, VLC does NOT work fantastically, at least not with the Uberkernel. I keep getting pulseaudio crashes.
    Code:
    Assertion 'pthread_mutex_unlock(&m->mutex) == 0' failed at
    pulsecore/mutex-posix.c:108, function pa_mutex_unlock(). Aborting.
    sounds exactly like this bug, except that's for X86 not ARM...
    Sadly, VLC does NOT work fantastically, at least not with the Uberkernel. I keep getting pulseaudio crashes.
    Code:
    Assertion 'pthread_mutex_unlock(&m->mutex) == 0' failed at
    pulsecore/mutex-posix.c:108, function pa_mutex_unlock(). Aborting.
    sounds exactly like this bug, except that's for X86 not ARM...
    I should clarify that it 'working' is enough for me to class it as fantastic. Especially given there aren't any decent players on Touchpad that'll continue play in the background.

Any reason you have to use pulseaudio?
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Can't wait to see this. I really don't like the idea of partitioning the file system to install Ubuntu.

Thanks,
    Greg
  9.    #29  
    New scripts! I now inject my app as a separate line in Xecutah and use a different mountpoint than the Ubuntu chroot, so the two apps now should work side-by-side.

You need to reboot after the movescripts step, in order to see the new line in Xecutah.

The image is still the same, but the script install and LXDE startup are really smooth and error-free now!

I'm really pleased with my progress this weekend. (I also developed a pretty good script for connecting my TP with my phone's ad-hoc WiFi hotspot.)
    Quote Originally Posted by izzeho View Post
    I should clarify that it 'working' is enough for me to class it as fantastic. Especially given there aren't any decent players on Touchpad that'll continue play in the background.

Any reason you have to use pulseaudio?
    vlc is working well for me, I can play fullscreen videos I have stored in downloads.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Next version of the image will have working sound, Flash, and VLC.
    Does VLC have support for streaming realaudio (rtsp://ip-of-server/file.ra)? The touchpad browser doesn't play streamed realaudio. Thanks for the work you're putting into this!
    New scripts! I now inject my app as a separate line in Xecutah and use a different mountpoint than the Ubuntu chroot, so the two apps now should work side-by-side.

You need to reboot after the movescripts step, in order to see the new line in Xecutah.

The image is still the same, but the script install and LXDE startup are really smooth and error-free now!
    Will 'installation' just overwrite old version fine?

I'm really pleased with my progress this weekend. (I also developed a pretty good script for connecting my TP with my phone's ad-hoc WiFi hotspot.)
    Assuming your talking about the N900, if so, would love if you shared :P
    I just tested it as my TP is boned anyway. If one executes the ./movescript several times, each time a new entry is inserted into Xecutah (I first forgot to decompress the ext3-image). Would be useful to prevent this.

When I try to run the easy image from Xecutah it just displays an error:

PS: It might be a problem with my Touchpad as I already ruined the installation and now used it for some tests before the reset
    Attached Images Attached Images
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by dodnet View Post
    If one executes the ./movescript several times, each time a new entry is inserted into Xecutah (I first forgot to decompress the ext3-image). Would be useful to prevent this.
    I discovered that problem too, it is now fixed in the new scripts.

Quote Originally Posted by dodnet View Post
    When I try to run the easy image from Xecutah it just displays an error:
    I tested the new scripts on my second tablet, and it installed and ran flawlessly, but I noticed that when I ran the scripts multiple times on my main tablet, the upstart script was empty. I wonder if that happened to you too.

Quote Originally Posted by izzeho View Post
    Assuming your talking about the N900, if so, would love if you shared :P
    I agree with you, sharing is best, so I posted over in this thread.
  15.    #35  
    New image file uploaded:
    ubuntu-webos-chroot-v2.img.ext3.bz2
    This adds working Flash, audio, and VLC.
    New image file uploaded:
    ubuntu-webos-chroot-v2.img.ext3.bz2
    This adds working Flash, audio, and VLC.
    As Izzeho asked, will "installation" just overwrite an existing version based on your old script, or is it necessary to clear the old version out? And just untar -xjvf in existing chroot?
    Thanks,
    Shneor
    Shneor
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Hi,

As a newbie to this I manage to get this working, though the keyboard doesn't seem to?

any hints on what I might have done wrong?
  18.    #38  
    Sorry for not making this clear...

You don't need to mess with the scripts when changing images.

To start using the new image, you first need to stop using the old image. This means either rebooting or issuing a "closechroot" from an XTerm prompt.

Then, you can either rename or delete your existing image (depending if you want to keep it or not) and decompress and rename the new image so that it is sitting on the USB drive (/media/internal) and it is named ubuntu-chroot.img.ext3

That's it; you should begin using the new image the first time you click on the Easy Image Chroot line item in Xecutah.

Another option to switch images is to use something like InternalzPro to edit the /home/root/.chroot file and change the image name there. That way, you can have multiple images that you can switch between.
    Sorry for not making this clear...

You don't need to mess with the scripts when changing images.

To start using the new image, you first need to stop using the old image. This means either rebooting or issuing a "closechroot" from an XTerm prompt.

Then, you can either rename or delete your existing image (depending if you want to keep it or not) and decompress and rename the new image so that it is sitting on the USB drive (/media/internal) and it is named ubuntu-chroot.img.ext3

That's it; you should begin using the new image the first time you click on the Easy Image Chroot line item in Xecutah.

Another option to switch images is to use something like InternalzPro to edit the /home/root/.chroot file and change the image name there. That way, you can have multiple images that you can switch between.
    qole,
    When I type "closechroot" in the webos xterm prompt I get a "not found" response. I'll restart the device.
    Shneor
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor View Post
    qole,
    When I type "closechroot" in the webos xterm prompt I get a "not found" response. I'll restart the device.
    Qole,
    I have the tar file located in /media/internal. When I type "tar xjfv ubuntu-webos-chroot-v2.img.ext3.bz2" my screen waits for about ten minutes, then the prompt returns, and I can't find the extracted file. Not in /media/cryptofs either. Can you tell me what I might be doing wrong?
    Thx.
    Shneor
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast