Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi, since there was a lot of improvement last week on Ubuntu and there is still no topic explaining how to install Ubuntu with full sound support (microphone and hardware button control) I decided to write this topic. It would be nice to include chroot-wrapper patch in Ubuntu ipk and to create a script for automatic configuration but I don't have enough time to do it.
    Video here : youtube.com/watch?v=CMxwhZLdXrQ
    So here are the instructions :

Download and extract .bashrc and chroot-wrapper from dl.free.fr/cQvrRP108 to /media/internal (root of USB partition)

First install the 3 following packages from Preware (installing Xecutah will install the 2 others) :
    -Xecutah
    -XServer
    -XTerm

Then connect your HP Touchpad to your PC and type or copy the following commands in novaterm :
    mount -o remount,rw /
    mkdir -p /media/ext3fs
    echo "/dev/mapper/store-ext3fs /media/ext3fs ext3 noatime,data=writeback 0 0" >> /etc/fstab
    mount -a
    reboot

Now launch Preware and install Ubuntu Natty Chroot.
    Then copy chroot-wrapper.sh file you can download below and type the following command in novaterm :
    cp -f /media/internal/chroot-wrapper.sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.ubuntu-natty-chroot/bin/

Launch Xecutah and choose "Starting Ubuntu 11.04 Chroot", you will get an error message, it's normal, just type :
    mkdir /var/run/pulse
    mkdir /media/internal

Close the card and launch Ubuntu from Xecutah again
    Now type :
    apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

Wait for the installation to finish, you'll get 2 messages, just choose ok.
    You will lose keyboard, it's normal (bug from udev). Just reboot the HP Touchpad (or relaunch Luna with Preware).

Launch Ubuntu from Xecutah again and type :
    apt-get install hal
    apt-get install libgtkstylus
    apt-get install xdotool

Now, launch novaterm and type :
    cp -f /media/internal/.bashrc /media/ext3fs/ubuntu-natty-chroot/root/
    echo "/dev/mapper/store-media /media/internal vfat rw,realtime,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow_utime=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0" >> /media/ext3fs/ubuntu-natty-chroot/etc/fstab

Close and launch Ubuntu again, gnome will automatically start.
    Remove the shortcut "D" if you want to be able to use the keyboard. (Actually, you need to tap once the scrolling bar and then tap and hold the arrows, don't try to directly move the scrolling bar)

Now create a new startup program in preferences :
    Name : Hider
    Command : xdotool windowunmap 0x0020000d
    Description : Hide log window (optional)

In sound preferences, choose the media sink or the "others" sink.
    Then shutdown and close ubuntu. Next time you'll launch it, log windows should be hidden.
    You can use the application "Tweaks" from Preware to remove keyboard (use onboard or install florence).

Password for webos user is : webos
    Last edited by Ubupad; 09/24/2011 at 05:09 PM.
    epoortvliet likes this.
    Really really nice ! Works perfectly

Just wonder why we have to choose "media sink" for audio output since the sound already work at that time ?

Now I still wonder: how is it possible to avoid windows cropping while maximizing ? I run a near perfect installation of Ubuntu-Netbook with unity and each time I maximize a window it is cropped to the left by the dock !!

BTW, thanks to every one who gives us such tips that allowed me to have a good Linux installation, tablet ready
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grasshoper View Post
    Now I still wonder: how is it possible to avoid windows cropping while maximizing ? I run a near perfect installation of Ubuntu-Netbook with unity and each time I maximize a window it is cropped to the left by the dock !!
    Glad you mentioned this before I tried. I'd been to this point several weeks ago, but was so annoyed with the left side dock covering full screen windows I went back to the Autoinstall script.

EDIT: The video doesn't have the left side dock/panel???
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
    Glad you mentioned this before I tried. I'd been to this point several weeks ago, but was so annoyed with the left side dock covering full screen windows I went back to the Autoinstall script.

EDIT: The video doesn't have the left side dock/panel??
    Don't know what video you're talking about, but I know there's a way to get rid of the side panel... Didn't figured out how though :/
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Don't know what video you're talking about, but I know there's a way to get rid of the side panel... Didn't figured out how though :/
    There's a video in the first post.

I wanted to see if this was as simple as it looked and everything worked just fine. Thanks for the write up. I do have a suggestion, of starting your walk through at the point of if the user already has Ubuntu Installed (and provide directions to the WebOS-Internals Wiki if they don't). That way we are all working from similar install methods in case something goes wrong.
    There's a video in the first post.

I wanted to see if this was as simple as it looked and everything worked just fine. Thanks for the write up. I do have a suggestion, of starting your walk through at the point of if the user already has Ubuntu Installed (and provide directions to the WebOS-Internals Wiki if they don't). That way we are all working from similar install methods in case something goes wrong.
    did you find out how to get rid of the left panel?
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    did you find out how to get rid of the left panel?
    It was never there on this install.
    It was never there on this install.
    Maybe you installed Gnome and not Gnome-Netbook then ?
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Maybe you installed Gnome and not Gnome-Netbook then ?
    I followed the directions listed in the first post exactly.
    I seem to be having trouble authenticating software sources (under the ubuntu software center) with the "webos" password. Is there another password for root I should know about?
    Last edited by Aredon; 10/02/2011 at 04:29 PM.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    I am trying to do this but I am not getting past this section...

Then connect your HP Touchpad to your PC and type or copy the following commands in novaterm :
    mount -o remount,rw /
    mkdir -p /media/ext3fs
    echo "/dev/mapper/store-ext3fs /media/ext3fs ext3 noatime,data=writeback 0 0" >> /etc/fstab
    mount -a
    reboot

Looking through other threads it looks like I haven't actually created an ext3fs partition with these instructions? Any ideas?

For the terminal I am using the linux command line option in the WebOS quick installer - I assume this is correct.

Am a newbie at this sort of stuff but willing to give it a go! If it helps (or hinders) I am working from a windows 7 machine, not a linux or Mac OS system...
    This is fantastic!!! It works beautifully and even an old windows guy was able to follow the steps with ease.

Can anyone tell me how to set a password in ubuntu? I tried to power button/switch from webos to see if I could get full screen and it asked for a password? When I installed Ubuntu on my pc to create the makefile I put in the password then. Sorry I'm new to ubuntu.

Also what is the difference if I install programs in the terminal in the GUI or should I continue to install them in Xecutah?
    Last edited by waveuponwave; 10/11/2011 at 08:19 PM.
    Thanks for the tutorial. The password "webos" is not working, though. Can you please confirm this is indeed the correct password?
    I've used "webos" many times from within the webos user. From the terminal or from the software center, any time that it has asked me for a password and I typed in "webos" it has taken it. Hope that helps.
    The install went well for me. However, somehow I messed up the virtual keyboards. Half the keys have nothing on them, none of the keys are in the right place. Mostly just numbers and symbols.

I thought there was just a problem with the onboard installation, so I tried re-installing, didn't work. So I installed florence, and it looks exactly the same. What did I do? How do I fix it?
    Quote Originally Posted by boydell View Post
    The install went well for me. However, somehow I messed up the virtual keyboards. Half the keys have nothing on them, none of the keys are in the right place. Mostly just numbers and symbols.

I thought there was just a problem with the onboard installation, so I tried re-installing, didn't work. So I installed florence, and it looks exactly the same. What did I do? How do I fix it?
    I think I found a fix. If anyone else has the same issue. I installed another keymap with the keyboard preference app, then I changed the layout in Florence to something else and back. Seemed to reset it.

any thoughts on what to do to speed things up? Also, I worry about space, since I only have a two gig partition. I removed a bunch of stuff with the package manager but it didn't seem to make a difference when looking at ext3fs in xterm.
    @Boydell: 2gig is not enough for a full install of Gnome. You'll not be able to install other apps. And for the speed up, I think the problem lies within the display manager of Gnome itself. The integrated graphics from the tp is not enough to have a fluid experience in Gnome. That's why I've gone back to lighter Desktop Manager like Xfce4. LXDE is even lighter since it uses Openbox.

When I installed ubuntu 11.10 with Gnome and Unity 2D, the whole experience was even more annoying because it was slower than with Gnome in 11.04. I just think the TP is not optimized for Gnome at the moment. Maybe with dedicated gfx drivers, but I doubt we'll see that some day ^^
    @Boydell: 2gig is not enough for a full install of Gnome. You'll not be able to install other apps. And for the speed up, I think the problem lies within the display manager of Gnome itself. The integrated graphics from the tp is not enough to have a fluid experience in Gnome. That's why I've gone back to lighter Desktop Manager like Xfce4. LXDE is even lighter since it uses Openbox.

When I installed ubuntu 11.10 with Gnome and Unity 2D, the whole experience was even more annoying because it was slower than with Gnome in 11.04. I just think the TP is not optimized for Gnome at the moment. Maybe with dedicated gfx drivers, but I doubt we'll see that some day ^^
    Yah, there is no doubt it is slower than using lxde. However, it has all the stuff! I wants my stuff! And LXDE was just to crashy.

I just doctored my touchpad with a larger partition, so we will see how that goes. Also, was thinking of installing openbox. I found instructions somewhere on how to do that and replace metacity. That way I could keep gnome but have a faster desktop manager.

Then I have to dig through these threads to see if someone has a fix for chromium, and it's weirdness with all the time saying it can't show the page.
    Interesting, can you post your results and how you did it when you do have a functional Gnome/Openbox configuration ? Didn't know it was possible... Are you sure that it's still possible with the latest Gnome versions ???
    Interesting, can you post your results and how you did it when you do have a functional Gnome/Openbox configuration ? Didn't know it was possible... Are you sure that it's still possible with the latest Gnome versions ???
    Well, I did it, (it seems) but it didn't seem to really be faster to me. but if anyone else wants to mess with it:

sudo apt-get install openbox obconf openbox-themes

then create a new entry under startup applications with this command

openbox ––replace
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast