1.    #1  
    I'm trying to develop a new app by trying a few different options, however, I'm finding it very tedious and time consuming to have to do a palm-package and palm-install every time I make a change.

I've heard of people referring to using a web-browser but not sure if there's a way to do this in real time. In other words, is there a way to load my app in a web-browser, where every time I make a change, I can just hit "refresh" on the browser to view the changes?

Thanks in advance!
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Only enyo apps (Touchpad) can be developed in a browser, phone apps (mojo) need to be built in the emulator.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by mosdl View Post
    Only enyo apps (Touchpad) can be developed in a browser, phone apps (mojo) need to be built in the emulator.
    I only plan on making this a touchpad app, so that would work. However, I want to clarify, I'm not looking to develop in a browser (ie: ares) but rather develop using standard editors but watch the changes in a browser, as I make them, so I do not have to rebuild the package every time I try something new. That's tedious and very long....
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sf_basilix View Post
    I only plan on making this a touchpad app, so that would work. However, I want to clarify, I'm not looking to develop in a browser (ie: ares) but rather develop using standard editors but watch the changes in a browser, as I make them, so I do not have to rebuild the package every time I try something new. That's tedious and very long....
    I am using Eclipse and the webOS plugin. I edit, then click 'Run', and the app opens in the Emulator running under VirtualBox. It actially builds and packages the app, then installs it and runs it in the Emulator, but the process is pretty much painless, with a single click doing the job.

The only problem I have (and it may be something I am doing wrong), is that the .ipk file is stored in my user/myname/appdata/temp directory, and after running it, exiting it, and even removing it from the emulator, the file is locked. Looking at it with Unlocker, I see it is locked by 'javaw'. I ended up writing a small Rexx script to unlock it so I can run again after changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by sf_basilix View Post
    If you develop using Enyo and won't need any services from the TouchPad (such as a list of Contacts), then it's fine to do most of your work with a text editor and hitting reload in the browser. At some point you'll have to put it into the emulator and ideally also an actual device to make sure everything works as you expect, but particularly for the initial UI/UX work any webkit browser like Chrome or Safari can serve as your testing platform.

You should just make sure to build your directory structure to be the same as it would be on the TouchPad. Also for certain types of coding work, you'll actually need to setup a webserver, even it's running from your local machine, or you'll wind up not being able to do certain things.