Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ubupad
  1.    #1  
    Like most people here I tried to run Ubuntu and run into several issues.
    The last rev of Ubuntu (-6) gives us a fix for upstart and dbus but this fix remains incomplete.

Fixing upstart cause init scripts not being executed so dbus won't launch correctly.
    Dbus issues prevent us from launching software like Ubuntu Software Center, Language support and many other programs.
    This is a fix for the "Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket" problem.

You need to launch these lines on each boot :

mkdir -p /var/run/dbus
    rm -f /var/run/dbus/pid
    chown messagebus:messagebus /var/run/dbus
    dbus-uuidgen --ensure
    dbus-daemon --system --fork --activation=upstart

/!\ dbus stay alive until you reboot the HP Touchpad so I'm trying to find a solution to prevent launching multiple session of dbus /!\

A good way to check if the fix worked is that the power icon will be red in a gnome session.

With this fix you can run almost all programs in Ubuntu. I hope it will help most of you. (Sorry for my english)
    Last edited by Ubupad; 09/19/2011 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Easier command lines
    jbennett likes this.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    The chown command generates an "invalid user" error. Changing to "chown username /var/run/dbus" I can run this command. But the following two commands "dbus-uuidgen" and "dbus-daemon" are not recognized.
  3.    #3  
    I tried to reinstall the last version of ubuntu after wiping the devices and typing these command lines after installing ubuntu-desktop (or any other windows manager) and it worked again.
    Make sure dbus is installed and you type the commands correctly.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubupad View Post
    I tried to reinstall the last version of ubuntu after wiping the devices and typing these command lines after installing ubuntu-desktop (or any other windows manager) and it worked again.
    Make sure dbus is installed and you type the commands correctly.
    Those commands can be run after installing a windows manager first --- but now you can't run apt-get install anymore, also synaptic doesn't run. Even a Touchpad restart doesn't help. What is your whole process right after installing the Ubuntu Chroot?
  5.    #5  
    Since I reinstall Ubuntu many times I can tell that my command for launching dbus work :
    -After apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
    -Or after apt-get install dbus if you only want minimal packages
    Then I launch
    I didn't execute anything else.
    And every program work (I'm using Ubuntu -6 and -9). Try restoring your tablet with WebOSDoctor to wipe ext3 partition.
  6.    #6  
    If some people are using Gnome, you must install audiohacks (launchpad.net/~dtl131/+archive/ppa) to get system sound. Since the repository don't include all ARM package, i compiled it from source. Here is the compiled .deb package :

hotfile.com/dl/130294682/9e6e6c9/HPTouchpadALSA-Audiohacks.zip.html

It allow you to use gnome without PulseAudio. System will use ALSA which is stable (PulseAudio cause HP Touchpad to reboot)
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Can't thank you enough -- I finally managed to get Chinese Input for my Ubuntu on the Touchpad!

I need to re-enter these lines on each boot of the Touchpad or of Ubuntu?
    Last edited by HansTWN; 09/21/2011 at 02:23 AM.
    Thanks, it works! Now I have this annoying issue when maximized windows are cropped by the launcher. Is there any workaround ? I can't find any viable answer on google :/
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner