webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developers >  webOS Development > TigerVNC on Touchpad
TigerVNC on Touchpad
Like Tree9Likes

Old 09/18/2011, 06:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hi folks,

I've managed to get TigerVNC to work on the Touchpad, it'll require Xecutah and XServer, and for now Xterm so you can start the thing.

Prerequisites: Xexcutah, Xserver, Xterm - and if using the script in post 75, Bourne Again Shell. All available in Preware.

The attached .zip files in this thread must be renamed to .ipk, copied to /media/internal on the device and installed using Preware's 'Install Package' and Browse.

The pop-up menu has been remapped to be on the key (press and hold R key) as the Touchpad keyboard is missing F8. I'm aware this isn't sensible for some Bluetooth keyboards so there's a new menu option that allows you to choose your menu key between F8, and ~ ( being the default with the onscreen keyboard, ~ if using Bluetooth).

EDIT (moving): Post 116 has the latest 0.2.6 .ipk attached now with added right-click goodness, while Post 75 contains instructions on tweaking Xecutah to see it (post 8 has an earlier build, left in place because the newer one may not run on older WebOS kit.)

Please note that after tweaking Xecutah to recognise this, either Luna needs restarting or your Touchpad rebooting.

Last edited by Soruk; 10/23/2011 at 09:17 AM.
Soruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by enki and nezywowtuhpu like this.
Old 09/18/2011, 06:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Good start. Can see my mac on screen and the mouse works fine but the keyboard takes up half the screen in terminal and wont go away. Is it me or am I missing something.
andymckay2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/18/2011, 06:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Excellent start!
Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
Mize is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by empireshade likes this.
Old 09/18/2011, 07:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Good start. Can see my mac on screen and the mouse works fine but the keyboard takes up half the screen in terminal and wont go away. Is it me or am I missing something.
Hold down the keyboard key (bottom right) and select XS from the pop-up.
Old 09/18/2011, 08:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soruk View Post
Hi folks,

I've managed to get TigerVNC to work on the Touchpad, it'll require Xecutah and XServer, and for now Xterm so you can start the thing.

(And, to make my life easier while trying to get the thing to work, I've also got twm built to give you a window manager on your Touchpad's X session).

It's here: http://www.eridani.co.uk/misc/TouchpadVNC.tar.gz (sorry, not a link as they need me to have a higher post count), un-tar this in root's home directory on your touchpad and run the script run_vncviewer / run_twm. (run_twm runs as a background process).

Is there any documentation on how to put together this as an app that integrates these into Xecutah?
Where's the source for these?

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09/18/2011, 08:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Soruk,

I think many of us would really like you to get on-board with webOSinternals...
Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
Mize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/19/2011, 03:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
Where's the source for these?

-- Rod
Downloaded from www.tigervnc.org's Sourceforge download page, and for twm: http://xwinman.org/archive/twm/

TigerVNC is GPLv2, twm is MIT licensed.

Last edited by Soruk; 09/19/2011 at 06:02 AM.
Old 09/19/2011, 02:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

I've made this into a .ipk file (attached, rename from .zip) which includes both twm and TigerVNCViewer. I didn't want to include twm in the same package but it seems X isn't correctly sending keyboard information to vncviewer without a window manager.

I can't figure out how to connect this app to Xecutah, despite templating on xterm 0.9.0, nor stop it opening a new card when launching TigerVNCViewer from the Apps screen. Still, VNC is working for me, indeed I'm doing this post using my Touchpad VNCing to my Linux box ^_^

Any feedback on this app and hints on fixing these niggles would be very much appreciated!

Edit: Maybe using the TigerVNC version number to version number my package wasn't my most sensible move. My next release of this will have a *lower* number so you'll need to manually remove this before installing the new one.
Attached Files
File Type: zip uk.co.eridani.tigervnc_1.1.0_armv7.zip (927.3 KB, 144 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by Soruk; 09/20/2011 at 05:48 AM.
Thanked By: vishalrajguru
Old 09/19/2011, 02:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

looks awesome so far and based on my fave tightvnc looking good.

edit: tried stress testing it with high volume of moving stuff, and it seems to freeze, np as i think my other vnc options within ubuntu did the same.

EDIT: issue is to do with tightvnc server on PC, others work fine.

also is there any chance of supporting Welcome - Synergy within as standard, atm i use Synergy (in the repositories as standard) before my ubuntu chroot which lets me use keyboard and mouse on my touchpad by moving my pc mouse pointer far left of my PC display, its a quick and dirty way to get a fully working mouse and the keybaord (tho everything appears in capslock).

its a really good start tho and definatly works, cheers for the effort, hope it goes far.

top of my display always seems to be chopped off however, not a big deal, just a tad weird.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xserver_2011-19-09_215138.jpg (105.0 KB, 138 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by geekpeter; 09/19/2011 at 04:54 PM.
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/19/2011, 04:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

That's a whole new and different issue, for that I'd need to set up some form of VNC Server on the touchpad, which in effect you've done in the chroot environment. This effort here is for a VNC Client (Viewer) only.
Old 09/19/2011, 05:06 PM   #11 (permalink)

worth an ask still its all working pretty well so far, well impressed.
Old 09/19/2011, 05:27 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soruk View Post
That's a whole new and different issue, for that I'd need to set up some form of VNC Server on the touchpad, which in effect you've done in the chroot environment. This effort here is for a VNC Client (Viewer) only.
my pic is just your app in fullscreen mode btw, i dont have any vnc server type stuff and the synergy app basically is just an opensource program to use 1 pc mouse/keyboard on multiple machines, in this case i control my laptop and touchpad solely from my pc's mouse/keyboard.

atm ive setup a small chroot image file, and only have enough space to run synergy/libstylus for rightmousing, not sure what else i can run, but atm i get that to run first, then run your ipk over the top, gonna see if that works instead.

EDIT: works fine, synergy and rightmouse bolton working fine, still have a gap/black bar at the top not sure whats occured there.

ok fixed: black bar was a weird thign caused by the server side vnc packaged with tigervnc, gone back to tightvnc and all is well.

cant use the mouse control the same as in the ubuntu desktop, the mouse just rattels around the top/left corner, so back to using the touchpad only for pointer control.

Last edited by geekpeter; 09/19/2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09/19/2011, 06:28 PM   #13 (permalink)

obviously reducing the size of the keyboard makes a difference but would be nice to allow it to hide and then display when required. but great start. Using it to control my WHS but it has difficulty with OSX 10.7 for some reason works fine with 10.6
andymckay2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/19/2011, 10:15 PM   #14 (permalink)

Very nice! Got it working in a minute and can VNC into my office and home computers.
enki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/19/2011, 11:22 PM   #15 (permalink)

Ahh neat. I've been playing with this and rdesktop which only had library requirements that were available in optware. pretty spiffy. I had thought of possibly building rdesktop statically but was having some issues getting a cross compiling rig going on one of my existing debian boxes.

Is there any docs on how to chatter with Xecutah? (or is it the whole, read the source and be enlightened) thing?

Or maybe I should just give up and jump on this bandwagon. I've been having a blast tossing various debian ARMEL binaries in here to make it work without doing a chroot.

--Chris
christr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/20/2011, 01:02 PM   #16 (permalink)

I get a "unable to connect to socket: connection timed out (110)" when I try to access my windows computer from the touchpad.
On the computer I've installed tigervnc 1.1 (x64). I tried to add a viewer but I get "Connection failed"...

What am I doing wrong ?
tiliarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/20/2011, 02:05 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiliarou View Post
I get a "unable to connect to socket: connection timed out (110)" when I try to access my windows computer from the touchpad.
On the computer I've installed tigervnc 1.1 (x64). I tried to add a viewer but I get "Connection failed"...

What am I doing wrong ?
This sounds like a firewall on your PC is blocking the connection.
Old 09/20/2011, 02:56 PM   #18 (permalink)

I only have the built-in windows firewall. I tried adding the vnc exe to the windows firewall and I can now connect to my pc. But as soon as I input the password, the touchpad says "End of stream".
tiliarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/20/2011, 03:12 PM   #19 (permalink)

Hrmm.. Is it just me, or does the new Xecutah/Xterm update break TigerVNC now?

It was working fine last night, but I just upgraded the two above and I can't get it to load anymore.

I tried with nothing running, with Xserver running by itself (closed Xterm) and with Xterm running as well. While the TigerVNC card comes up, neither twm or tigervnc will launch inside of it.

We really need to be able to add this directly to the Xecutah card.

I'm going to try and find the run scripts and see if I can launch it inside the xterm window manually.
Old 09/20/2011, 03:18 PM   #20 (permalink)

Can't find the run_twm or run_vncviewer scripts anywhere. I take it those weren't installed in the ipk?

Any idea how to try and launch them manually, or fix the problem with the new multi-card X system?

Tags
touchpad app, vnc

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0