Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
    i just downloaded this but it seems to be stuck on the versions section i cant find the accept the agreements place or it wont load
  2.    #122  
    My package has no "accept licence" screen on it.
    Do you know how to make a keyboard that you can hide, like in the program JsTop on preware?
  4.    #124  
    The keyboard can't be hidden in-session as that's a limitation of the X server that TigerVNC uses as its display layer - if it's hidden it stays hidden, if it's displayed it stays displayed. To get the most out of the screen use the XS keyboard size, and ensure the Tweaks setting for the X server matches, or use a bluetooth keyboard and use Tweaks to set the keyboard to Off.
  5.    #125  
    I've updated the rebuild-ma.sh (mentioned in post 75) so it no longer incorrectly re-adds xserver back to the Xecutah list. Existing users who want to get rid of that entry can do so by re-downloading that script and re-running it.
    If you appreciate my work please consider donating!
    First -- thanks so much for the this, it's very excellent!

Would it be possible to add support for "scale by" like the windows TigerVNC client? It allows you to zoom out and see more of the screen at once.
  7.    #127  
    When this functionality arrives in the Linux client (I'm closely tracking the upstream development) I'll add it to the Touchpad client.
    i was able to run this TigerVNC Viewer through Xecutah but have been unable to connect to my server. I am using vnc enterprise server and everytime i try to connect it - I keep getting no matching security type - I disabled Encryption on my server but still same error. What else I need to do at server to be able to connect to it?

ANyone?
  9.    #129  
    Are you able to connect to it using a VNC client (preferably Tiger) from a Linux desktop?
    Quote Originally Posted by Soruk View Post
    When this functionality arrives in the Linux client (I'm closely tracking the upstream development) I'll add it to the Touchpad client.
    That's great news. I realized after I asked my question that I am in fact using TurboVNC on windows. I just tried the TigerVNC client for windows and it can't do scaling at full color depth.

How intense was it to get tigervnc working on the touchpad? I'm curious because perhaps in the short term, TurboVNC would provide some really useful functionality (scaling ) that might not make it into TigerVNC for some time.

If you become curious , here is TurboVNC:
    sourceforge.net/projects/virtualgl/files/TurboVNC/ (I can't post links yet)
    Set up TigerVNC fine on Xecutah and that was the easy part.
    Enabled screen sharing on mac
    What is the address I should put into VNC server? I tried the whatismyipaddress and it says unable to connect to socket: connection refused.
    I tried the Gateway address my touchpad wifi shows when it is connected to my wireless and it says unable to connect to socket; Network is unreachable

Some more information that may or may not help:
    I was able to connect fine via logmein.com on the browser and using remote management on the mac.
    I have an ooma modem in between airport express and the cable modem.

thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    What is the address I should put into VNC server? I tried the whatismyipaddress and it says unable to connect to socket: connection refused.
    I tried the Gateway address my touchpad wifi shows when it is connected to my wireless and it says unable to connect to socket; Network is unreachable

I was able to connect fine via logmein.com on the browser and using remote management on the mac.

thanks.
    You need your "internal" ip address if you are at home. You can get this from the router's settings. If you use your external ip address you would need to make sure that the port is forwarded and you are allowing it thru your firewall. (I believe if I am wrong somebody correct me.)
    That's correct, you need the internal IP address. The easiest way is usually to look up the adress on the host. But I don't know Macs and don't know where (or if?) they give this info...

If you want to use VNC on a regular basis I would suggest to configure static IP adresses for the hosts. Maybe your router can do that, this would be the best way, because the Mac stays on DHCP and will be configured dynamically always to the same IP if you are on your network and to other IPs if you someday have another network/router. But setting a fixed IP in the Mac itself is fine, too. Just be sure to have the first parts of the IP correct and the network mask. Gateway and dns need to be set to the router's ip.

Usually the router has some IP like 192.168.1.1. So you will set 192.168.1.2 for the MAC with network mask 255.255.255.0 and gateway/dns to 192.168.1.1. For example. You need to look up the IP of your router here and be sure that 192.168.1.2 is not assigned to another device.
    Quote Originally Posted by knownboyofno View Post
    You need your "internal" ip address if you are at home. You can get this from the router's settings. If you use your external ip address you would need to make sure that the port is forwarded and you are allowing it thru your firewall. (I believe if I am wrong somebody correct me.)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post

thanks.
    I did a quick google search and found the link below with several people saying it worked.

How to Check Your Mac's IP Address | eHow.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    That's correct, you need the internal IP address. The easiest way is usually to look up the adress on the host. But I don't know Macs and don't know where (or if?) they give this info...

If you want to use VNC on a regular basis I would suggest to configure static IP adresses for the hosts. Maybe your router can do that, this would be the best way, because the Mac stays on DHCP and will be configured dynamically always to the same IP if you are on your network and to other IPs if you someday have another network/router. But setting a fixed IP in the Mac itself is fine, too. Just be sure to have the first parts of the IP correct and the network mask. Gateway and dns need to be set to the router's ip.

Usually the router has some IP like 192.168.1.1. So you will set 192.168.1.2 for the MAC with network mask 255.255.255.0 and gateway/dns to 192.168.1.1. For example. You need to look up the IP of your router here and be sure that 192.168.1.2 is not assigned to another device.
    I'm willing to try this. Do you know how I can configure an Arris router on the Timewarner network?
    If I understand this correctly, in order to use outside the home, seems like I have to configure something for the ISP router, maybe settings also for the ooma and/or macbook and/or airport express . Its unclear to me as there are so many variables, tried a few tutorials I saw on the net but they did not help. Wondering if I need to call a network admin expert to walk me through this--seems way complex than anything I've tried to do with webOS to date.
  16.    #136  
    Since VNC is not a secure protocol, you may be better off getting SSH forwarded through your router if your intention is to access your machine from outside your home network, and use the -L option on ssh to forward port 5900 (or which one you're using) in a separate xterm session which you can then keave running in the background while TigerVNC does its stuff. Of course, being a Linux person, I have no idea if Apple permit remote SSHing into a Mac....
    Quote Originally Posted by Soruk View Post
    Since VNC is not a secure protocol, you may be better off getting SSH forwarded through your router if your intention is to access your machine from outside your home network, and use the -L option on ssh to forward port 5900 (or which one you're using) in a separate xterm session which you can then keave running in the background while TigerVNC does its stuff. Of course, being a Linux person, I have no idea if Apple permit remote SSHing into a Mac....
    Thanks, I believe it does but don't know how to do it. Thanks to the excellent tutorials here, it was easy for me to get filezilla working with the SSh apps from Preware but I think that is only sharing the same wifi, not external, and not port forwarding or changing router settings etc.
  18.    #138  
    If you're able to ssh into your Mac from outside your network (e.g. a friend's wifi, from work, wifi tethering your mobile phone), then you're all set. Assuming you're sharing your Mac desktop as desktop 0 on VNC, then all you do is, from an xterm window:
    ssh -L 5900:localhost:5900 username@your.home.ip.address
    (and of course, this will work when you're at home, but you might need to use your internal IP address instead).

Then, in TigerVNC, you just connect to :0 (yes, just :0 )
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Was kinda wondering if there was a way to get tigervnc to always connect to the same IP address. Gets a bit annoying typing 192. etc. Over and over again :P

edit: was also wondering If there was a way to save settings, keep setting compression to 9 but every time I run tigervnc it defaults back to 6.
    Last edited by jshat; 12/07/2011 at 02:36 AM.
    Probably sent from HP Touchpad
    dunno what changed but this now works perfectly on my pre3, originally it failed installation but works fine now.

still would be nice to save ip details, esp a pain on the pre3 re-entering everything each time, even more important for the old phones as splashtop and the likes dont function on the pre3.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by geekpeter; 12/28/2011 at 10:31 AM.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast