Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    UPDATE: So I was able to find the scripts in /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/uk.co.eridani.tigervnc/bin, but they won't start manually either. Gives me an error about unable to open display ":0.0".

I guess I shouldn't have jumped the gun on upgrading Xecutah. I was kind of looking forward to the multicard ability though.
  2.    #22  
    I've not upgraded to the multi-card Xserver/Xecutah either. When they've released some documentation on how to work with it I'll see what I can do to get TigerVNC to work with it.

To run the binaries, you should run the xecutah.sh script found in the directory above the binaries, call it as ${PWD}/xecutah.sh so $0 in the script is defined correctly.

This new build is smaller, and compiled with options more focused to the specific CPU in the Touchpad, and certainly seems to run faster on my setup. However, it might break it from running on other WebOS hardware. As such I'll leave the earlier version on post 8 in place.

Despite the lower version number, this is newer than the earlier build. It wasn't one of my better ideas to track the TigerVNC version number at this stage...!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Soruk; 09/20/2011 at 05:56 PM.
    used the update with the normal xserver, works well, nice and rapid, you can be sure its definatly not slower at least, tried browsing some content heavy webpages in firefox though vnc, excelent results, as was navigating through my desktop.

keep those updates rolling so far you have the only fullscreenable native working/non crashing vnc app going and its looking good already.

quick question, tigers based on tightvnc yeah? is copyrect available as an encoding type in tiger as well?
  4.    #24  
    Yes, TigerVNC is based on TightVNC. I'd expect CopyRect to be enabled, there's no reason for it not to be.
    To answer questions in earlier posts about the onscreen keyboard, this is controlled through the Xserver app which provides the display framework for TigerVNC, and it seems many XKB events are not able to get through. Before using the Tab key to bring up the pop-up I tried to bind to a few secondary characters , e.g. y-acute, but it just wasn't responding. I've got a few ideas, but in the meantime if you need to type a tab press the key twice.

Edit: (instead of double posting) The next release of this will replace twm with dwm, a very minimal window manager, and the settings chosen will be for every window to be maximised, no title bars (or any other window decorations, you'll still have scrollbars) shown so less of the already rather small screen space available is lost. Of course, if that doesn't work for sending the keyboard/mouse input in the right direction I'll stick with twm until I can figure out what's going on.

If anyone is able to help with the card issue (I don't want it to create its own card which does nothing) or integrate this into Xecutah for launching from there it would be very much appreciated. Indeed, it might make sense to have a window manager available as part of the Xserver package (but not automatically run) so apps like Xterm can benefit from it (I found twm to be very handy during the earlier stages of development, to kill windows without having to kill and restart Xserver), but things like this VNC package can supply and run its own if it wants.

This is my first attempt to make anything for any WebOS device (having got my Touchpad in the recent sale) and my background is as a Linux software engineer so I tend to look on the device as a Linux box with limitations to be worked around rather than as an overgrown mobile phone.
    Last edited by Soruk; 09/21/2011 at 07:11 AM.
    all good news, keep those updates coming, awesome work.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Soruk View Post
    I've not upgraded to the multi-card Xserver/Xecutah either. When they've released some documentation on how to work with it I'll see what I can do to get TigerVNC to work with it.

To run the binaries, you should run the xecutah.sh script found in the directory above the binaries, call it as ${PWD}/xecutah.sh so $0 in the script is defined correctly.

This new build is smaller, and compiled with options more focused to the specific CPU in the Touchpad, and certainly seems to run faster on my setup. However, it might break it from running on other WebOS hardware. As such I'll leave the earlier version on post 8 in place.

Despite the lower version number, this is newer than the earlier build. It wasn't one of my better ideas to track the TigerVNC version number at this stage...!
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I still haven't been able to get it to work with the new xecutah/xserver.

I even tried running a new instance of xserver from an existing xterm card. It actually spawned a new, empty, xserver instances (linked to the first card), and then ran tigervnc. No go.

Oh well, hopefully there will be a fix soon. I've tried everything I can think of, but nothing works.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by enki View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I still haven't been able to get it to work with the new xecutah/xserver.

I even tried running a new instance of xserver from an existing xterm card. It actually spawned a new, empty, xserver instances (linked to the first card), and then ran tigervnc. No go.

Oh well, hopefully there will be a fix soon. I've tried everything I can think of, but nothing works.
    While I'm not in a position to test (and I'd rather not switch from the 0.9.0 version yet), are you able to find out what the DISPLAY variable the xterms are using to connect? My package is assuming a value of :0.0 (each X display card will have its own different value).
  8.    #28  
    Version 0.1.2 contains the following changes:
    * Tab key no longer brings up the menu, press and hold R to get the (R) symbol instead to access the pop-up menu. Tab now behaves as a regular Tab key.
    * twm replaced with dwm, this allows for no window decorations at all, so all the available screen space is available to the TigerVNCViewer window. This has the added effect that the package is once again smaller than the previous one.

Unfortunately, still no progress on the card or Xecutah issues...

Once again, rename from .zip to .ipk to install.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    new window manager seems pretty good and minimal, looks very good, im now getting the "empty black bar" accross the top of the display its always above the top of my PC's screen image, like a picture thats been misaligned and not placed far top, this ended up being fixed with a different vnc server on the previous version but i get the same on all vnc servers i use now.

see attachment, other than that tho its all good, nice and fast still and i was more impressed when i found its doing it to my dual monitor setup, vnc'ing both displays, forgot that happens on viewers that dont/cant seperate the displays.

even managed to youtube a vid this time to stress it without everything freezing up like my old attempts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  10.    #30  
    Curious. I have TightVNC running on a Win2000 box, and I can't replicate this black bar across the top. I've also connected it to UltraVNC on Win2000 and WinXP, TigerVNC on Linux and the built-in VNC server in the QEMU emulator/virtual machine host.
    On WinXP and later I tend to use UltraVNC, as it's faster and also supports the Tight encoding.

I have seen some VNC oddities with connecting to a dual-headed machine, have you tried connecting to your machine from another PC/Mac/Linux machine?
    Quote Originally Posted by Soruk View Post
    Curious. I have TightVNC running on a Win2000 box, and I can't replicate this black bar across the top. I've also connected it to UltraVNC on Win2000 and WinXP, TigerVNC on Linux and the built-in VNC server in the QEMU emulator/virtual machine host.
    On WinXP and later I tend to use UltraVNC, as it's faster and also supports the Tight encoding.

I have seen some VNC oddities with connecting to a dual-headed machine, have you tried connecting to your machine from another PC/Mac/Linux machine?
    fine from my laptops and weirdly enough, using remmina and xtightvnc on ubuntu/touchpad is fine.

not sure what's up either but I had something similar when I tried 1 of the "over the web" type of vnc, like logmein.

I'll try uninstalling some vnc packages, I have several on the pc and start them manually/seperatly, maybe something is clashing, I'll try again later with just 1 installed.

edit:is it possible for your app to close its own app card once it knows its successfully opened on the xserver card.
    Last edited by geekpeter; 09/21/2011 at 05:29 PM.
    The DISPLAY variable is incremental. Would be nice if it was automagically passed along when xterm starts, maybe someday.

Anyway, the first card opened is DISPLAY=:0.0 , the 2nd card will be DISPLAY=:1.0

for those wondering how to cope, just type export DISPLAY=:0.0 when you open xterm before you run the vnc client or any other X app. Of course, if that doesn't work try :1.0 or :2.0 , but if you've ever only started it once, it'll be 0.0 . If you don't close Xecutah but do close the Xterm session (xserve session actually) the next one open will be 1.0, then 2.0, etc. You have to close out all the Xwindows and Xecutah before you roll back to Display 0.0 .

--Chris
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by christr View Post
    The DISPLAY variable is incremental. Would be nice if it was automagically passed along when xterm starts, maybe someday.

Anyway, the first card opened is DISPLAY=:0.0 , the 2nd card will be DISPLAY=:1.0

for those wondering how to cope, just type export DISPLAY=:0.0 when you open xterm before you run the vnc client or any other X app. Of course, if that doesn't work try :1.0 or :2.0 , but if you've ever only started it once, it'll be 0.0 . If you don't close Xecutah but do close the Xterm session (xserve session actually) the next one open will be 1.0, then 2.0, etc. You have to close out all the Xwindows and Xecutah before you roll back to Display 0.0 .

--Chris
    This is as I'd expect - however, every avenue I'm trying to follow for integrating TigerVNCViewer with Xecutah is drawing a blank, and the source code isn't being much help as I don't know how WebOS stuff inside connects.

Once the multi-card Xecutah moves to stable, and I can find some documentation on how to work with it is made available, I'll work on getting TigerVNCViewer to request its own card.
    They'll need to find a way to pass the display info to the app. If it's not showing up in Xterm, i'm assuming they don't actually know it when they launch. If they can add that to the code, so they know which display they're spawning and pass that to the environment it'll make allour lives so much easier.

--chris
  15.    #35  
    They'll need to find a way to pass the display info to the app. If it's not showing up in Xterm, i'm assuming they don't actually know it when they launch. If they can add that to the code, so they know which display they're spawning and pass that to the environment it'll make allour lives so much easier.

--chris
    But.. they must know which one to make xterm attach to...
    True, unless they can pass it as a startup argument? I'll have to go dig up some of my docs on X... Haven't really done much with it in years.

--Chris
  17.    #37  
    True, unless they can pass it as a startup argument? I'll have to go dig up some of my docs on X... Haven't really done much with it in years.

--Chris
    There is the -display <display> option to most Xlib apps, but my understanding was in the case of Xterm it would set its display variable. I'm quite likely to be wrong though!
    XTerm is started under Xecutah as per xterm - XTerm

You'll note the display is passed on the command line to xterm

Anyone who wishes to collaborate on Xecutah, please join the #webos-internals IRC channel so we can discuss that in real time.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    enki likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    XTerm is started under Xecutah as per xterm - XTerm

You'll note the display is passed on the command line to xterm

Anyone who wishes to collaborate on Xecutah, please join the #webos-internals IRC channel so we can discuss that in real time.

-- Rod
    Thanks, i'll have to dig up an IRC client and jump in at some point. Been prob 10+ years since I've used IRC. hah.

Anyway, I wonder then if passing -p to xterm will help with some of this. That'll preserve the environment. Tho, it's also possible that could cause other issues depending on what the env looks like coming from Xecutah.

--Chris
    Thanks, i'll have to dig up an IRC client and jump in at some point. Been prob 10+ years since I've used IRC. hah.

Anyway, I wonder then if passing -p to xterm will help with some of this. That'll preserve the environment. Tho, it's also possible that could cause other issues depending on what the env looks like coming from Xecutah.
    wIRC is a good webOS client ...

I've added -p to login in XTerm 0.9.5 in the beta-apps feed.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast