Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Well, you can also implement a "plugin" that renders things properly and is controlled by the surrounding Enyo application. I will try that route.
    knownboyofno and sagipe like this.
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by filmor_ View Post
    Well, you can also implement a "plugin" that renders things properly and is controlled by the surrounding Enyo application. I will try that route.
    Ja, that was my idea too. That is the way we plan to do it for Navit.
    Let the original C app do the routing and display and sourround it with Mojo contolls to have the webOS UI implementation.

HaPe
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    I've now corrected the error handling and it seems to work for all my pdf files so far. Give it a try

Also: The code can now be compiled using waf. You don't need to install anything but python and the PalmPDK. Check out mupdf and use
    Code:
    OS=webos-pre-cross build=release make
    to build the static libs.

After that just call
    Code:
    ./waf configure && ./waf
    to build the service which will then reside in build/.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    How do you install a patch file? If I download thru the TP's browser and try to Open, I get an error.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by asif9t9 View Post
    How do you install a patch file? If I download thru the TP's browser and try to Open, I get an error.
    You can either use Preware, or Internalz. Preware will allow you to input a URL/file path with the patch location. Internalz will allow you to navigate your device file system, choose the patch file and install it.
    If you install a patch file, make sure that you remove it before any OS update / Adobe Reader update. An alternative is to use the IPK file (that's a packaged WebOS application) mentioned here: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...p-patches.html.
    I've now corrected the error handling and it seems to work for all my pdf files so far. Give it a try

Also: The code can now be compiled using waf. You don't need to install anything but python and the PalmPDK. Check out mupdf and use
    Code:
    OS=webos-pre-cross build=release make
    to build the static libs.

After that just call
    Code:
    ./waf configure && ./waf
    to build the service which will then reside in build/.
    I just tested it out. It does work on pdfs it didn't before but now several pages are blank or missing part of the information. This appear to occur when the width and height are not the same.
    Edit: It appears to randomly occur even when the width and height are the same.
    Last edited by knownboyofno; 10/13/2011 at 12:09 PM. Reason: randomly occurs
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Could you give me either logs or the PDFs themselves?
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    It could also help to empty the cache when installing a different version (by removing all sub-folders of /media/internal/appdata/com.quickoffice.ar/.cache), since the service doesn't do that for you and I still couldn't figure out, how the original service handles that, especially how it calculates the unique-id.
    It could also help to empty the cache when installing a different version (by removing all sub-folders of /media/internal/appdata/com.quickoffice.ar/.cache), since the service doesn't do that for you and I still couldn't figure out, how the original service handles that, especially how it calculates the unique-id.
    I thought of that after I posted but it still did the same thing. I will get some logs when I drop it back in. I am working on a patch to the current reader and need to debug.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    There is an update to Adobe Reader 10.3.406
    Please make sure to undo any patches before updating!
    Quote Originally Posted by sagipe View Post
    I just downloaded that update tonight.

After trying several different PDF files(huge, tiny, graphic-intensive, or text-only),
    I honestly do not see any difference. Pages still render just as slowly... zooming
    is is not as clear.

PDF is not rocket science.... my iPad renders PDF files extremely quickly without
    any delays, when compared side-by-side with my Touchpad, displaying the exact
    same PDF file.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Full ACK, but comparing with the iPad might be a bit "unfair". I highly suspect (without knowing for sure), that Apple uses the same rendering subsystem for iOS as they use for OS X, which is /based/ on PDF. They actually /need/ to render PDFs quickly

But still, if you try my service replacement you see that rendering fast on the Touchpad is definitely possible. The GLES2 application is also progressing
    Full ACK, but comparing with the iPad might be a bit "unfair". I highly suspect (without knowing for sure), that Apple uses the same rendering subsystem for iOS as they use for OS X, which is /based/ on PDF. They actually /need/ to render PDFs quickly

But still, if you try my service replacement you see that rendering fast on the Touchpad is definitely possible. The GLES2 application is also progressing
    I guess it is kind of unfair. I bought my iPad 2 64GB 3G from
    Apple.com for $799 (actually, $867 after adding the sales tax)

By comparison, I only paid $84 for my Touchpad from HP.com
    in August.

I haven't really thought about it this way, but I just realized that
    my iPad 2 cost TEN TIMES as much as my Touchpad.

However, my iPad 2 has been gather dust on the desk for quite
    a while now. I mostly use my Touchpad.

By the way, where is the "service replacement" you mentioned? I
    am still waiting for my coffee to brew and can't seem to find it in
    this thread...

THanks!
    Does anyone know, how the "unique-id" is calculated? It seems to be a md5 hash, but it's neither the hash of the file itself nor the hash of the filename.
    MD5 of <filename>+<date/time>+<size>+<magic number>
    Interesting point. You think that a different file system would be that much faster? I'd be curious to see a comparison.
    The fact that every page is written to disk as a file helps to load the PDF faster next time, but obviously eats up space, especially as you use higher resolutions. For my files- it's around 600KB/page. A reference book with 500 pages is ~300MB. 10 such books are 3GB. That's a lot of disc space.

If rendering wasn't too slow- I'd settle for keeping the images in RAM while the adobe app is running. But I don't think you can transfer so much data on the dbus from the arxservice to the Enyo frontend, can you?
    Cache size is limited to 200MB ... if you want smaller/larger cache you can modify arx.sh, line 9

Code:
    Cleanup() {
    ls -1rt ${CACHE} | grep -v cvr | while read DIR; do
    	[ `du -d 0 -m ${CACHE} | awk '{ print $1 }'` -gt 200 ] || break
    	rm -rf ${CACHE}/${DIR}
    done
    }
    200 = maximum size of cache

"Cleanup" is called by arxservice everytime card with open PDF file is closed
    Quote Originally Posted by markybaby View Post
    This has been a massive help. Thanks to everyone who worked this out. One thing that does drive me mad is it only pre renders the next page, so if you skip through 1 page you have to wait for it to clear the page up. Is there any way of making it render continuously until the whole document is done, or at least 3 or 4 pages ahead. I have had a look through the file but cannot see anywhere to change this value. If not so be it.
    There are 2 ways how you can patch app to pre-render all pages...

Option 1 - patch PxxArea.jsjsjs , $requestPageCallback$ $function$
    Code:
                if(index+1<this.pages && index===this.currentPage) {
                    this.requestPage(index+1, this.thumbsZoom);
                    this.requestPage(index+1, this.pageZoom);
                }
    remove check "index===this.currentPage"

or Option 2 - patch PxxArea.jsjsjs, $openCallback$ $function$
    Code:
                for (var i=0; i<this.pages; i++) {
                    this.$.onePageView.images[i] = { src: this.placeholder, qoUniqueId: i, qoImageZoom: -1 };
                }
    add this.requestPage(i, this.pageZoom) inside for loop

... and there is Option 3 - you can easily add menu item that will pre-render all pages when called ...
    Quote Originally Posted by johnvan View Post
    Thanks, cleared things up for me.

Now we need a few more things to make PDF's great on this,

Search function is a must have

Ability to open password protected PDF's

A drop down menu to have zoom stick for the duration of the document while scrolling.
    As for "password protected" PDF ... UI is not there ... but everything else is there ...
    in PxxService.jsjsjs
    Code:
    if (i.cmd === 'open') {
    				if(enyo.fetchAppInfo().id === "com.quickoffice.webos") {
    	                this.plugin.addCallback('OpenFileCallback', cb, true);
    	                this.plugin.callPluginMethodDeferred(null, 'OpenFile', i.src, i.password, i.w, i.h);
    see parameter i.password ...

...so to be able to open password protected PDF files you need:
    1. modify PxxArea.jsjsjs, $openCallback$ $function$
    Code:
                if (r.error) {
    			    console.log("openCallback failed: " + r.error);
                    var err = (r.error === 'protected document') ? QOWT.ERROR.PasswordRequired : QOWT.ERROR.GenericError;
                    QOWT.EVT.dispatchEvent(document, 'qowt:error', err);
                    return;
                }
    when r.error === 'protected document' then UI have to ask for password (and call openFile again)

2. modify PdfArea.jsjsjs, $openFile$ $function$:
    Code:
            this.service.handleQueue({
                cmd: 'open',
                src: path,
                response: this.openCallback.bind(this)
            });
    add "password: <password given from UI>" parameter into handleQueue call
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Yep, as reported above, no improvement from Adobe or Quickoffice or whoever. Lame.
    mibaksh likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    I just downloaded that update tonight.

After trying several different PDF files(huge, tiny, graphic-intensive, or text-only),
    I honestly do not see any difference. Pages still render just as slowly... zooming
    is is not as clear.

PDF is not rocket science.... my iPad renders PDF files extremely quickly without
    any delays, when compared side-by-side with my Touchpad, displaying the exact
    same PDF file.
    I found a quite large difference actually. I can no longer delete adobe reader and reinstall It.

which was quite necessary as I had be messing around with it...and now need to.

(never could delete it via software manager, but used to delete it by hold in the icon and pressing x)
    Quote Originally Posted by MeetsInTaverns View Post
    I found a quite large difference actually. I can no longer delete adobe reader and reinstall It.

which was quite necessary as I had be messing around with it...and now need to.

(never could delete it via software manager, but used to delete it by hold in the icon and pressing x)
    Have you tried:
    Code:
    palm-install -r com.quickoffice.ar
    ?
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast