Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Started a thread where we should list PDF related patches:
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...p-patches.html

Please keep this thread related to the increased zoom level patch. The goal is to create an Uber-PDF patch which will enhance the PDF app. We could then submit it to Quickoffice to be included in the official PDF app.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by markybaby View Post
    This has been a massive help. Thanks to everyone who worked this out. One thing that does drive me mad is it only pre renders the next page, so if you skip through 1 page you have to wait for it to clear the page up. Is there any way of making it render continuously until the whole document is done, or at least 3 or 4 pages ahead. I have had a look through the file but cannot see anywhere to change this value. If not so be it.
    Yes. We can make it pre-render the whole PDF (using a menu selection for example). Again- when I have more time- I would like to make the PDF app better since I use it a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by sagipe View Post
    Started a thread where we should list PDF related patches:
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...p-patches.html

Please keep this thread related to the increased zoom level patch. The goal is to create an Uber-PDF patch which will enhance the PDF app. We could then submit it to Quickoffice to be included in the official PDF app.
    As stated earlier, your increased zoom level workaround has definitely increased my enjoyment of my touchpad by giving me access to my magazines in a readable format. Is there a similar parameter that can be manually adjusted to get the reader to pre-render the whole PDF as suggested above?
    I don't really need a menu selection option as I'd be comfortable with a down and dirty always on solution via a change to the code. I just have no clue where to look.:trolleys:
    Yes. We can make it pre-render the whole PDF (using a menu selection for example). Again- when I have more time- I would like to make the PDF app better since I use it a lot.
    nice one :-)
    Has anyone discovered a resolution that is readable in portrait mode? I prefer to read exactly one original book page at a time without having to mess with adjusting the page to some bit of zoom every single time I flip a page... when I set anything higher than the default, then text is pretty darn nice if I zoom in at all... but everything I have tried from 800x800 1000x1000 up to 2000x2000 and 2048x2048 has been blurry in portrait UNLESS I zoom in a bit.

I've tried this on multiple purchased commercial programming books which have different fonts and designs, still same result on each essentially
    Quote Originally Posted by parasitius View Post
    Has anyone discovered a resolution that is readable in portrait mode? I prefer to read exactly one original book page at a time without having to mess with adjusting the page to some bit of zoom every single time I flip a page... when I set anything higher than the default, then text is pretty darn nice if I zoom in at all... but everything I have tried from 800x800 1000x1000 up to 2000x2000 and 2048x2048 has been blurry in portrait UNLESS I zoom in a bit.

I've tried this on multiple purchased commercial programming books which have different fonts and designs, still same result on each essentially
    What is the name of a book you tried?
    Remember that the PDF reader just generates a static image for each page. What you see is just a scaled version of that static image.

I don't think just setting an arbitrary high resolution like 1800x1800 achieves the best result. My experiments show the best visual quality at portrait mode when I set the zoom resolution to be exactly 2x or 3x the native display resolution (which excludes a 32-pixel title bar, or about 768 x 992 pixels). So here's what I'm using:

this.pageZoom = this.calculateZoom(this.pageWidth, this.pageHeight, 768*2, 992*2);
    Last edited by uminatsu; 10/01/2011 at 07:21 PM.
    I believe the same thing.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    I think the best solution would be something like google docs uses, creating tiles on demand (which should work very well with the WebOS service model). The arxservice doesn't support this, it will always create an image at a specific zoomlevel with no x- and y-offsets. Maybe we should think about creating a more powerful service and just patch QuickOffice to use this one …

I might try that, after I can sign Emails with gpg and can use ICQ on my Touchpad
    Yes, this needs some serious improvement. There are many corner cases that cannot be fixed by simply tweaking the zoom factor. The zoom factor is a static value calculated upon openFile and is based on the dimension of the first page (?), but if page width / height changes from page to page then the optimal zoom value should be adjusted. Also the zoom percentage is always rounded up to an integer, it does not always accurate enough.
    Yea, but it would slow down the rendering alot because it would have to get the info for every page. This would be a pain because I see how hard it is to get info between the scripts correctly.
    I need a little help with this thing. I have a function that will change the zoom dynamically but I don't know how to pass the variable to another script. Thanks for any help.
    I wrote a quick patch to render the whole PDF but it isn't asynchronous(i.e. can't jump to a specific page to start reading it). I think it is kinda slow for large files like I have (700-1000 pages). If you want it let me know.
    I don't suppose that someone could post the entire page of code could they?

I followed the fix to the letter, I swear! I restarted the touchpad, tried to open adobe and it didn't open. Went to check on the code and the entire page is empty of code - seriously, it says 0k.

How the hell did that happen! (people are allowed to slap me with a wet towel for this, though I still maintain it's nothing to do with me!...probably).

EDIT: nvm, realised I could reinstall from pre, started reinstalling, never finished crashed and now isn't available to download. Think I am going to have to webos doc the whole thing...
    EDIT: no wait... I have an update for adobe now that allows me to reinstall the program...even though it was an update for a program...that had been deleted.
    -I'm sure I have also just come across a dev comment saying that they've fixed the fact it changes back to original zoom every page so you can keep your level of zoom over multiple pages - lies of course...must be reading it wrong...
    Last edited by MeetsInTaverns; 10/03/2011 at 11:04 AM. Reason: human stupidity?
    Quote Originally Posted by uminatsu View Post
    So here's what I'm using:

this.pageZoom = this.calculateZoom(this.pageWidth, this.pageHeight, 768*2, 992*2);

you mean you're using 1536, 1984?
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by uminatsu View Post
    Remember that the PDF reader just generates a static image for each page. What you see is just a scaled version of that static image.

I don't think just setting an arbitrary high resolution like 1800x1800 achieves the best result. My experiments show the best visual quality at portrait mode when I set the zoom resolution to be exactly 2x or 3x the native display resolution (which excludes a 32-pixel title bar, or about 768 x 992 pixels). So here's what I'm using:

Interesting.
    The function calculateZoom( ) calculates the zoom level based on the specific PDF page width and height. At the end, there is only a single output in the range 5-500, specifying the resolution to export the PDF images in; which goes to the arxservice.

What you report indicates that the zoom level is also involved in some aspect ratio calculation?
    Maybe internally, the arxservice uses that number and the PDF height/width to calculate the specified screen width and height? In that case, why not send two numbers to the arxservice instead of one zoom level?
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MeetsInTaverns View Post
    I don't suppose that someone could post the entire page of code could they?

I followed the fix to the letter, I swear! I restarted the touchpad, tried to open adobe and it didn't open. Went to check on the code and the entire page is empty of code - seriously, it says 0k.

How the hell did that happen! (people are allowed to slap me with a wet towel for this, though I still maintain it's nothing to do with me!...probably).

EDIT: nvm, realised I could reinstall from pre, started reinstalling, never finished crashed and now isn't available to download. Think I am going to have to webos doc the whole thing...
    EDIT: no wait... I have an update for adobe now that allows me to reinstall the program...even though it was an update for a program...that had been deleted.
    -I'm sure I have also just come across a dev comment saying that they've fixed the fact it changes back to original zoom every page so you can keep your level of zoom over multiple pages - lies of course...must be reading it wrong...
    Did you delete the Adobe program from the Touchpad? If so, you should be able to reinstall from the App Catalog.
    We could always send you the whole IPK to reinstall if anything goes wrong.
    Interesting.
    The function calculateZoom( ) calculates the zoom level based on the specific PDF page width and height. At the end, there is only a single output in the range 5-500, specifying the resolution to export the PDF images in; which goes to the arxservice.

What you report indicates that the zoom level is also involved in some aspect ratio calculation?
    Maybe internally, the arxservice uses that number and the PDF height/width to calculate the specified screen width and height? In that case, why not send two numbers to the arxservice instead of one zoom level?
    No, sorry if my post was misleading. There appears to be no separate horizontal and vertical zoom factors supported by the arxservice. The CalculateZoom function only returns one integer value between 5 and 500; it takes two inputs (width/height) because it needs to compare the page aspect ratio versus screen dimensions to make sure the page would fit in both X and Y directions.

There is no guarantee that 768*2 x 992*2 would be the dimensions of the generated image. The zoom percentage is always rounded up to an integer (for example a 4/3 zoom becomes 134 instead of 133.3333).
    Did you delete the Adobe program from the Touchpad? If so, you should be able to reinstall from the App Catalog.
    We could always send you the whole IPK to reinstall if anything goes wrong.
    thanks, but managed to reinstall it.

The first time I saved I must have some how deleted the entire code from the page. Page still existed but all content was gone.

Second time I tried the code was their but it failed to open the app.

Both times the only thing I've done is change the parameters to 1800 and saved the file, so I'm unsure of what I am doing wrong. Perhaps a rookie mistake, something obvious.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    A small addition to the "investigation" part of this thread:
    The temporary files are stored in /media/internal/appdata/com.quickoffice/ar/.cache and for whatever reason you can't mount a tmpfs (or anything else) there to speed things up. Also, since it's vfat you can't use symlinks. The directory is either hard-coded into arxservice, or stored in $CACHE. I'll look into that.

This stupid program is messing up our flash drives with its continuous writes \o/
    Dogma likes this.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Interesting point. You think that a different file system would be that much faster? I'd be curious to see a comparison.
    The fact that every page is written to disk as a file helps to load the PDF faster next time, but obviously eats up space, especially as you use higher resolutions. For my files- it's around 600KB/page. A reference book with 500 pages is ~300MB. 10 such books are 3GB. That's a lot of disc space.

If rendering wasn't too slow- I'd settle for keeping the images in RAM while the adobe app is running. But I don't think you can transfer so much data on the dbus from the arxservice to the Enyo frontend, can you?