Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
    Is there any script that can be changed to 'stick' the zoom level. Ie if all my PDFs use a large margin, can I open and page the PDF at 120% instead of 100%. Since the zoom does not stick between pages.. annoying

The zoomed image is definitely clearer, but the non-zoom image is slightly jaggered(not smoothed out and not clear and worse than before) when the value is above 1500
    Not right now, maybe if someone has time to work on that...
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TPKeller2 View Post
    New guy here. This thread seemed to be as good a place as any to note that from what I've read here on how the app renders .pdf files, this seems to fully explain why I can't click through to links embedded in the files.

It's a significant problem for my need: my local City Council publishes their meeting agendas* in .pdf format[/URL], with linked documents to provide the background information for each agenda item. At this time, I haven't been able to find a way to utilize the TP while attending council meetings.

Any thoughts?

Theron

* Being a new member, it won't let me link the file. Maybe I can text it, if you are inclined to try it out yourself... have to replace the "dot":

fredericksburgva dot gov/uploadedFiles/City_Council/Agendas_and_Minutes/20110913%281%29.pdf?n=3148
    Links are hard - since the PDF reader displays images. This could be done using image maps, or some fancier javascript code, but it is not included in the Adobe reader as is.
    I agree- it's a half-complete solution right now.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by allowingtoo View Post
    Mine only says Quick Office Evernote. Do I not have the right location?
    Are you looking at /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.quickoffice.ar in internalz?
    Quote Originally Posted by sagipe View Post
    I would advise to change it back to 1200,1200 before any OS update or any update to Adobe Reader
    Thanaks!

What's the worst that can happen if I forget to change it back to 1200,1200
    when a new webOS or Adobe update arrives?

I imagine most people will not remember to do it.... myself included.

P.S. I do not understand why this thread is located here.... only Touchpad
    are likely to be interested in this discussion... shouldn't it be moved to the
    Touchpad section?
    I finally found it. I wasn't aware that you had to keep scrolling down and more would magically appear. I'm still learning this new fangled way of operating
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by allowingtoo View Post
    I finally found it. I wasn't aware that you had to keep scrolling down and more would magically appear. I'm still learning this new fangled way of operating
    Good :-)
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    Thanaks!

What's the worst that can happen if I forget to change it back to 1200,1200
    when a new webOS or Adobe update arrives?

I imagine most people will not remember to do it.... myself included.

P.S. I do not understand why this thread is located here.... only Touchpad
    are likely to be interested in this discussion... shouldn't it be moved to the
    Touchpad section?
    Worst case is that the app update would fail, you will have to delete it and reinstall from the App Catalog. But the chances for that are very slim, unless they drastically change the app- which will probably not happen. So I think you are pretty safe.

You are right. I started the thread here to try and get developers interested in patching the PDF app, but you are welcome to create a thread in the Touchpad forum with a link to here and ask the moderator to make it sticky so people are aware of it!
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I instead installed ubuntu and use evince. The PDF fonts are perfect and zooming sticks. Easy access since its just another card. Not sure about battery life and viewing the page in complete full screen (I cant figure out how to exit fullscreen mode without the keyboard)

This is a better solution (especially without having to partition your drive) than "waiting" for the PDF to be fixed
    I instead installed ubuntu and use evince. The PDF fonts are perfect and zooming sticks. Easy access since its just another card. Not sure about battery life and viewing the page in complete full screen (I cant figure out how to exit fullscreen mode without the keyboard)

This is a better solution (especially without having to partition your drive) than "waiting" for the PDF to be fixed
    Is the following what I'd need to do to try this?

UbuntuChroot - WebOS Internals

Your comment about not having to partition your drive suggests that there may be a simpler way.

Spyke
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyke View Post
    Is the following what I'd need to do to try this?

UbuntuChroot - WebOS Internals

Your comment about not having to partition your drive suggests that there may be a simpler way.

Spyke
    The getting started guide has a method of just mounting the file image. Safe easy reversible. The PDF fonts are sharper and zoom is perfect. Just figuring out complete full screen (if u open xserver w/o keyboard via tweaks) without the scroll bars or bottom ubuntu panel

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ted-guide.html
  11. c2q
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    omgg that guide helped so much. Now the 2 things that REALLY need to get added are being able to enter a page number and get there instantly, like I seriously don't want to scroll through 1000 pages for my textbook! And also have zoom stick when scrolling!!!
    knownboyofno likes this.
    The getting started guide has a method of just mounting the file image.
    Ah, thanks for that. Possibly still not for the faint-hearted, but I'll give it a go at some point.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Would it be possible to view and edit the /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.quickoffice.ar/source/PxxArea.jsjsjs $file$ $from$ $a$ $PC$ $connected$ $via$ $USB$ $rather$ $than$ $using$ $Internalz$?
    Just copy it over and edit but if you are using windows you need to make sure the file has the right format.
    Last edited by knownboyofno; 09/27/2011 at 11:48 PM. Reason: file formatting
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I see the problem - the system files are not exposed via the PC USB interface. Only data files. There's probably a separate system partition which is only available via Internalz on the TouchPad?
    Quote Originally Posted by Semma2 View Post
    I see the problem - the system files are not exposed via the PC USB interface. Only data files. There's probably a separate system partition which is only available via Internalz on the TouchPad?
    You could use internalz to copy it to another location or email it to yourself.
    If you go to Adobe Reader (top left hand corner) > / help/ submit ticket/select other OS/Web OS version other

and if enough people complain and ALSO attach a document supporting the fact that this is broken and needs to be updated - it might be fixed. I sent in a request and received a response a day or two later from support60@quickoffice.com asking for screen shots of the problem. (I had asked if there was going to be an update to render the readability of PDF documents any time soon).

I think it will take a combined effort of a lot of TouchPad users saying "this doesn't work and why" and they might release an update.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by knownboyofno View Post
    You could use internalz to copy it to another location or email it to yourself.
    Yes. The app files are under an encrypted partition, not visible when you use the Touchpad as USB.
    You can either:
    1) Use the internalz editor
    2) Like the previous poster suggested: copy the file to the USB partition, mount the Touchpad as USB, copy to a PC, edit the file, copy back to the USB partition and from there use internalz to copy it back to the original location
    3) Install an SSH server from Preware (this requires a bit of command line usage to get everything working, WebOS internals wiki has the deatils) and use winscp on Windows to access the app files via wireless
    This has been a massive help. Thanks to everyone who worked this out. One thing that does drive me mad is it only pre renders the next page, so if you skip through 1 page you have to wait for it to clear the page up. Is there any way of making it render continuously until the whole document is done, or at least 3 or 4 pages ahead. I have had a look through the file but cannot see anywhere to change this value. If not so be it.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Another developer has written a patch adding a text box where you can enter a page number instead of using the page numbers list.
    You can find it here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...goto-page.html

It has to be applied manually as well, but seems to work nicely.
    At some point we should probably unite all PDF related patches to one big patch which can be installed/unisntalled manually by using a patch file, instead of modifying code on the device- to make this easier.