Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree40Likes
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    I have some PDFs that contain only pictures(hint.. hint... ). It's not necessary to
    read the text. I do wish I can scroll through those pages faster.

What about decreasing the screen width/height to 800x800? Will that make the file
    size smaller and render faster? (since 800x800 is less than half of 1200x1200)

THANKS!!!!!
    Yes. Lower values -> smaller file size -> faster loading time.
    Just to give you a rough estimate: the thumbnails are ~20K each and they load instantly. But that's probably too low of a resolution for you. Try some values and see what seems to work best for you. 800x800 could be good, or try even lower values if you accept the lower resolution.
    Quote Originally Posted by sagipe View Post
    Just to give you a rough estimate: the thumbnails are ~20K each and they load instantly. But that's probably too low of a resolution for you. Try some values and see what seems to work best for you. 800x800 could be good, or try even lower values if you accept the lower resolution.
    Thanks! I'll give it a try.

It would be very nice if the patch allows the user to choose high, original, low resolutions
    by tapping on a drop down menu.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
    This has now turned my touchpad into my daily driver! I can now leave my android tablet at home and read my magazines on the TPs superior screen with perfect zoom!
    This fix should be stikied somewhere as I would have never seen it had I not happened upon someone's off the cuff reference to it in an unrelated post. I know there are many who would benefit from it.
    Thanks again!

I just tried lowering the resolution to 800x800 and did a device restart. The PDF didn't seem to load any faster than the default 1200x1200, but zooming in became fuzzier at 800x800, not surprisingly.

I went back to Internalz and changed the setting to 1800x1800. The PDF didn't seem to load any slower. However, zooming in was a lot clearer... I think I'll just leave it at 1800x1800 for now.

There are several large PDFs on my Touchpad. The are full-size German newspaper fileis. I wonder if I can up the resolution to 2500x2500 to make the newspaper readable? I know it will be slow, but just wanted to know if there's a max limit?

By the way, if you patch shows up on Preware, should I return to the default 1200x1200 setting
    before applying the patch in Preware?

THANSK!
    Last edited by Touchpaddle; 09/17/2011 at 05:57 PM.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I made the change. Works as advertised. But my problem is I have large pdf's. Big construction drawings. So I need the higher resolution, but I also need to be able to zoom in much further.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Is there any script that can be changed to 'stick' the zoom level. Ie if all my PDFs use a large margin, can I open and page the PDF at 120% instead of 100%. Since the zoom does not stick between pages.. annoying

The zoomed image is definitely clearer, but the non-zoom image is slightly jaggered(not smoothed out and not clear and worse than before) when the value is above 1500
    Last edited by bugelrex; 09/18/2011 at 09:11 AM.
    I think my problem is different.Anytime I click on a .PDF link on a webpage I receive an "can not open MIME file". I have tried many options including Internals pro and patches from another thread but no luck.Its driving me nuts. Any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdaddio View Post
    I think my problem is different.Anytime I click on a .PDF link on a webpage I receive an "can not open MIME file". I have tried many options including Internals pro and patches from another thread but no luck.Its driving me nuts. Any suggestions?
    Interesting, I was trying to download a magazine today and got this error. I assumed that it had to do with the fact that I was trying to download the file from a filesharing site (filesonic). I didn't stop to think that it had to do with the filetype (.pdf).
    My solution was to fire up a linux session and download the file from within chrome browser. I then used internalz pro to move the file to a directory in my webos partition so that the adobe reader could open it.
    The solution is fast and easy if you already have linux set up but is a bit of a stretch if you're doing it just to get access to one file.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crutzulee View Post
    Interesting, I was trying to download a magazine today and got this error. I assumed that it had to do with the fact that I was trying to download the file from a filesharing site (filesonic). I didn't stop to think that it had to do with the filetype (.pdf).
    My solution was to fire up a linux session and download the file from within chrome browser. I then used internalz pro to move the file to a directory in my webos partition so that the adobe reader could open it.
    The solution is fast and easy if you already have linux set up but is a bit of a stretch if you're doing it just to get access to one file.
    How is the speed and quality of reading PDFs via ubuntu? Is it good enough to use on a daily basis as main reader?
    This solution seems to work best for improving the image when zoomed in, but doesn't help as much for when it's zoomed out. I view most of my .pdfs at 100% and have been unhappy with the fuzzy text there as well. I've tried changing the values to 1024, 1024 in attempt to optimize for the exact screen resolution of the touchpad, but no luck. It doesn't seem any better and zoom is (of course) worse. Anybody have an idea how to set for the native resolution of the screen?
    [...]
    There are several large PDFs on my Touchpad. The are full-size German newspaper fileis. I wonder if I can up the resolution to 2500x2500 to make the newspaper readable? I know it will be slow, but just wanted to know if there's a max limit?
    [...]
    You seem to have pretty much the same approach as I do, I'm trying to read German newspapers (especially "Die Zeit") on the Touchpad as well. There doesn't seem to be a max limit for the resolution, but it doesn't really make sense to set it to very high values: The zoom factor is limited, so the Reader won't let you zoom in too much. Therefore you will soon reach the point where you won't notice any difference anymore. I tried it with 1800px as well as with 2500px and couldn't see too much of a difference.

We have to find out how to enable further zooming. The newspaper is somehow readable but the text is still too small in my opinion.

Regards,
    Alphajoe
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Awesome patch. Just did it on my TP. Thanks for all the info!
    Quote Originally Posted by SandraW View Post
    When I zoom in on a PDF file, I can't go to the next page, unless I zoom out.(back to the
    original size) Does anyone else think this is silly?
    Yes, I do. I can however live with it, I find things as the limited zoom factor more annoying.
    Thanks, cleared things up for me.

Now we need a few more things to make PDF's great on this,

Search function is a must have

Ability to open password protected PDF's

A drop down menu to have zoom stick for the duration of the document while scrolling.
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnvan View Post
    Thanks, cleared things up for me.

Now we need a few more things to make PDF's great on this,

Search function is a must have

Ability to open password protected PDF's

A drop down menu to have zoom stick for the duration of the document while scrolling.

THIS - last week I was trying to read a 100 page document on a train, having to zoom in on each page is a complete PITA.
    Thanks guys
    New guy here. This thread seemed to be as good a place as any to note that from what I've read here on how the app renders .pdf files, this seems to fully explain why I can't click through to links embedded in the files.

It's a significant problem for my need: my local City Council publishes their meeting agendas* in .pdf format[/URL], with linked documents to provide the background information for each agenda item. At this time, I haven't been able to find a way to utilize the TP while attending council meetings.

Any thoughts?

Theron

* Being a new member, it won't let me link the file. Maybe I can text it, if you are inclined to try it out yourself... have to replace the "dot":

fredericksburgva dot gov/uploadedFiles/City_Council/Agendas_and_Minutes/20110913%281%29.pdf?n=3148
    If you have Internalz installed, browse to:
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.quickoffice.ar/source/PxxArea.jsjsjs

and open the file in the editor.
    Goto line 156 where it says:
    this.pageZoom = this.calculateZoom(this.pageWidth, this.pageHeight, 1200, 1200);

It took me a while because there was no line number when I viewed the
    file in Internalz. I scrolled up and down and finally found line 156....

Is there a way for Internalz to show the line numbers?

Thanks!
    Mine only says Quick Office Evernote. Do I not have the right location?
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I just tried lowering the resolution to 800x800 and did a device restart. The PDF didn't seem to load any faster than the default 1200x1200, but zooming in became fuzzier at 800x800, not surprisingly.

I went back to Internalz and changed the setting to 1800x1800. The PDF didn't seem to load any slower. However, zooming in was a lot clearer... I think I'll just leave it at 1800x1800 for now.

By the way, if you patch shows up on Preware, should I return to the default 1200x1200 setting
    before applying the patch in Preware?

THANSK!
    Depending on the final zoom level that was calculated (which changes for every PDF based on its height and width), file size should be smaller and the image should load faster. Maybe 800x800 was still a too high value.
    It's hard to know what 2500x2500 would translate to for your paper PDF.
    The easiest option is to change the zoom level directly:
    in line 156 that says:
    this.pageZoom = this.calculateZoom(this.pageWidth, this.pageHeight, 1200, 1200);
    Change it to:
    this.pageZoom = XXX;
    Where XXX is a number between 5 and 500. (the higher the number, the higher the resolution)
    Setting to 1800x1800 increases the zoom level to 250 for my PDF. You could try increasing values from 250 to 500. Remember to restart luna/touchpad after every change.

This patch will not show up on Preware, since the current patching architecture is unable to change files in that location (since they do not have md5sum info stored in the device, see a previous post about that). I would advise to change it back to 1200,1200 before any OS update or any update to Adobe Reader
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast