Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree40Likes
    I just d,id as suggested in this thread, and the difference is substantial, thanks!
    However, I have a different, significant problem. I have certain reports, in PDF format, that basically aren't rendered at all. It seems to be a PDF of a spreadsheet, but all the lines are blank. On my pre (minus and pre2) they open and are readable without a problem. I was hoping that the fix in this thread would solve the issue, but no dice.
    any ideas?
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Top tweak!

Works like a charm for me.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Curious why no one has created a third party PDF reader? There are several for Android and Windows.

I wonder how complicated it would be to create a PDF reader app.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Turns out this file cannot be patched by Preware/Internalz/WebOSQI.

According to rwhitby:
    "Since files in /media/cryptofs/apps do not have md5sums in /usr/lib/ipkg/info, the AUPT scripts cannot determine whether the files concerned have been modified by an OTA update or not. If you use the AUPT scripts as they stand today, they will delete the patched file completely on uninstall, thereby rendering the patched app corrupt.
    The patch packaging technology simply cannot technically handle patches to files in /media/cryptofs/apps. Note that attempting to install such patches with Internalz or WOSQI will also have the same failure mode on uninstall, since they use the same scripts."

I will set up a Wiki page with instructions on how to patch the app manually. If I will decide to write a more sophisticated patch- I will update the wiki with the instructions as well.
    Wow, thank you so much for this tweak. The bad rendering of PDF files was my main complaint about the Touchpad, as I wasn't able to read the digital version of a newspaper I have subscribed to.

I still don't understand why a conversion from a PDF to a PNG file is necessary for the TP (do PDF readers on other platforms convert a PDF as well?) and would love to see a native PDF reader who zooms and renders fine, but this will be my saviour for now.

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphajoe View Post
    Wow, thank you so much for this tweak. The bad rendering of PDF files was my main complaint about the Touchpad, as I wasn't able to read the digital version of a newspaper I have subscribed to.

I still don't understand why a conversion from a PDF to a PNG file is necessary for the TP (do PDF readers on other platforms convert a PDF as well?) and would love to see a native PDF reader who zooms and renders fine, but this will be my saviour for now.

Thanks!
    WebOS is web based and has no native support for PDF files, so the fast way to display PDF files is to render every page to an image which is displayed in the reader application. Another way is to write a full C/C++ app (SDL based, not Enyo based) to render PDFs but this is a lot more time consuming.

Converting a PDF to images is fine, as long as the resolution is good enough. If the file were to re-render every time you zoom in, you could get an even better resolution on the fly, but this will make loading time of pages even slower. This simple patch sets the resolution at a "good enough" level without knowing the zoom level you want.
    This does make things like text search in a PDF trickier though; but it's still doable, since the C service could do that and the UI can display the results.
    Quote Originally Posted by sagipe View Post
    Turns out this file cannot be patched by Preware/Internalz/WebOSQI.

According to rwhitby:
    "Since files in /media/cryptofs/apps do not have md5sums in /usr/lib/ipkg/info, the AUPT scripts cannot determine whether the files concerned have been modified by an OTA update or not. If you use the AUPT scripts as they stand today, they will delete the patched file completely on uninstall, thereby rendering the patched app corrupt.
    The patch packaging technology simply cannot technically handle patches to files in /media/cryptofs/apps. Note that attempting to install such patches with Internalz or WOSQI will also have the same failure mode on uninstall, since they use the same scripts."

I will set up a Wiki page with instructions on how to patch the app manually. If I will decide to write a more sophisticated patch- I will update the wiki with the instructions as well.
    This patch would then have to be removed manually before any update or doctor yes?
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    This patch would then have to be removed manually before any update or doctor yes?
    Yes. The WebOS update process includes just the changes between versions. I would remove the patch before every update to the OS, or to the Adobe Reader, and reapply after that.

You could patch the file manually (with an editor), or use a patch file.
    If you patch manually and forget to remove the patch- then the update for the app could fail.
    With a patch file you have to remember to remove it- otherwise Preware/WebOSQI will delete the patched file after the next OS update, when you update all of your packages.

Since the Adobe Reader is just an app, worst case you can delete it and reinstall from the app catalog, so patching won't brick your touchpad in any case.
    I will set up the Wiki page with all of that info.
    Will this patch improve the rendering clarity even when not zoomed in?

I typically read technical PDFs (.pdfs based on books that were ordinarily textbook-sized). Even though I am ok with and enjoy zoomed out small print, I have noticed a distinct lack of clarity and crispness even on a non-zoomed in setting. Reading items with the Kindle e-reader app, or to a lesser extent, the web browser, does not result in this problem and is more clear to the eyes.

I assume I would get some improvement even when not zooming in because the native render setting was less than the resolution of the touchpad, right? At least it won't "pixelate" even when zoomed out?
    Tried out the changes last night and they greatly improve the readability when zoomed in. Has anyone an idea on how to change the maximum zoom level? I changed the numbers in line 156 to 1800 and even tried out 2200, but this doesn't seem to affect how far I am able to zoom in. Tried changing line 157 from 240 to 250 but no effect neiher.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johndoe123123 View Post
    Will this patch improve the rendering clarity even when not zoomed in?

I typically read technical PDFs (.pdfs based on books that were ordinarily textbook-sized). Even though I am ok with and enjoy zoomed out small print, I have noticed a distinct lack of clarity and crispness even on a non-zoomed in setting. Reading items with the Kindle e-reader app, or to a lesser extent, the web browser, does not result in this problem and is more clear to the eyes.

I assume I would get some improvement even when not zooming in because the native render setting was less than the resolution of the touchpad, right? At least it won't "pixelate" even when zoomed out?
    Yes- you will get improvements even when not zoomed in since the image will be higher quality.
    It won't pixelate as it does now.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Tried out the changes last night and they greatly improve the readability when zoomed in. Has anyone an idea on how to change the maximum zoom level? I changed the numbers in line 156 to 1800 and even tried out 2200, but this doesn't seem to affect how far I am able to zoom in. Tried changing line 157 from 240 to 250 but no effect neiher.
    Although that line says this.zoom_level=... it actually changes the resolution of the image and not the ability to zoom in. I have not checked, but I assume they use a built in Palm image viewer class to display the images, which has a default limit on the zoom level. It might be possible to increase the zoom level as well, will have to check that.
    Although that line says this.zoom_level=... it actually changes the resolution of the image and not the ability to zoom in. I have not checked, but I assume they use a built in Palm image viewer class to display the images, which has a default limit on the zoom level. It might be possible to increase the zoom level as well, will have to check that.
    That would be awesome. I looked around some of the other files in the same directory as well. Didn't find what I was looking for (enhancing the zoom factor), but found the email adresses of the programmers in the comments. Seems like they're all from HP and not from Adobe. Maybe we should drop them a line - not sure whether this would be disturbing though.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    That would be awesome. I looked around some of the other files in the same directory as well. Didn't find what I was looking for (enhancing the zoom factor), but found the email adresses of the programmers in the comments. Seems like they're all from HP and not from Adobe. Maybe we should drop them a line - not sure whether this would be disturbing though.
    Funny :-)
    I found comments all over with the name of the head of engineering at Quickoffice. Seems like he handled the code a lot. Adobe provided the arxservice, but Quickoffice wrote the UI. Probably had help from HP then.
    If this materializes to something useful, we could refer them to the patches and ask for them to be incorporated as an update. I think they would not mind doing that.
    My thought is to add a few features (like setting the resolution + zoom level from a menu item, keep the screen on etc), then contact them.
    That is a pretty good idea. Thereby the user could choose between file size and quality for himself. Maybe it would be a good idea to implement some standard settings (e.g. "Standard", "High Quality", "Superior Quality" and "Custom" - in which the settings can be chosen by the user).

I found some file in the same folder as the pxxArea.jsjsjs, $in$ $which$ $the$ $menu$ $buttons$ $were$ $named$. $Surprisingly$ $there$ $was$ $a$ &$quot$;$search$&$quot$; $mentioned$ $as$ $well$. $If$ $we$ $could$ $implement$ $a$ $search$ $function$ $I$ $assume$ $a$ $lot$ $of$ $people$ $would$ $be$ $very$ $happy$. $Additionally$ $in$ $some$ $file$ $the$ &$quot$;$go$ $to$ $page$&$quot$; $function$ $was$ $programmed$. $So$ $another$ $tweak$ $might$ $be$ $to$ $change$ $this$ $to$ $a$ $number$ $input$ $field$ $instead$ $of$ $the$ $current$ $dropdown$ $list$.

But I think one should focus on the implementation of the quality settings for now. If that's done, one could think of trying to add "search" and a better "go to page" function.

Unfortunately I don't have that much coding skills, but it looks as someone with a little more expertise could do it. If anyone should find some setting to increase the maximum zoom level I would be very happy to hear about it.
    I 've set up the value to 2000 , 2000. Perfect !!!
    - HP Veer --
  17. c2q
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I suck at this, is there an idiots guide on how to do this step by step?
    Quote Originally Posted by c2q View Post
    I suck at this, is there an idiots guide on how to do this step by step?
    No problem. This is taken from sagipe's post.

1. Install PreWare (Google "Install Preware" as I don't have enough posts on this forum to post links)

2. Install Internalz Pro from PreWare: there is a search bar on top when you open the app.

3. Launch Internalz Pro

4. Browse to:
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.quickoffice.ar/source/PxxArea.jsjsjs

5. Click on this file and edit.

6. Goto line 156 (you'll find it eventually) where it says:
    this.pageZoom = this.calculateZoom(this.pageWidth, this.pageHeight, 1200, 1200);

and change it to:
    this.pageZoom = this.calculateZoom(this.pageWidth, this.pageHeight, 1800, 1800);

7. Save the file

8. Restart Luna by going back into Preware main menu (close and reopen Preware is simplest), going to the file menu (top left corner, Preware with the downward arrow), Luna Manager, then "Restart Luna." You can also restart your Touchpad as an alternative by going to Device Info --> Reset Options --> Restart.

Helpful?
    parasitius and bouleto like this.
    re: better even when zoomed out?

Yes, check out my post with before and after shots here (I can't post links yet since I'm not up to 10 posts):

reddit.com/r/webos/comments/kh447/making_pdfs_much_clearer_on_touchpad
    Last edited by razzbaronz; 09/15/2011 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Forgot to quote
    Changing the screen width/height from 1200x1200 to 1800x1800 increases the file size x2: from about 300K to 600K per page. For scientific journals, this seems to be good enough (2 columns, font 8pt).

I have some PDFs that contain only pictures(hint.. hint... ). It's not necessary to
    read the text. I do wish I can scroll through those pages faster.

What about decreasing the screen width/height to 800x800? Will that make the file
    size smaller and render faster? (since 800x800 is less than half of 1200x1200)

THANKS!!!!!
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast