Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1.    #1  
    Hi there,

    Not sure if anybody tried XFCE with chroot Unbuntu. I did and it is a success.
    However has one problem: 'p' key on screen keyboard is not working.
    run xev, it is obvious that 'p' is converted to some kind of notification, instead of a key-pressed event. It becomes OK only if I close the chroot-ubuntu xterm window, eg., kill the XFCE processes (wm, panels, and others).

    It is all fine in LXDE though. However the taskbar of LXDE is on bottom and
    covered by the on-screen keyboard, so cannot use it.

    Any idea? It is just interestingly awkward.
  2. Kaerey's Avatar
    Posts
    539 Posts
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    #2  
    In xfce4 there's a keyboard shortcut causing your error. Delete the shortcut and all is fine. Check your keyboard Preferences.

    Or do as I did or a while and just use capital P for everything.

    makes spelling Dr. PePPer fun.

    As for your Keyboard LXDE issue, resize your onscreen keyboard to XS by holding the keyboard icon on the lower right side.
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
  3.    #3  
    Great! I have been killing xfce every time when I want to run apt-get command.
    And which shortcut key is this?

    Thanks for the onscreen keyboard trick. So I do not need to install 'Tweaks' in preware?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaerey View Post
    In xfce4 there's a keyboard shortcut causing your error. Delete the shortcut and all is fine. Check your keyboard Preferences.

    Or do as I did or a while and just use capital P for everything.

    makes spelling Dr. PePPer fun.

    As for your Keyboard LXDE issue, resize your onscreen keyboard to XS by holding the keyboard icon on the lower right side.
    Last edited by goTouch; 09/06/2011 at 02:00 PM.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by goTouch View Post
    Hi there,

    Not sure if anybody tried XFCE with chroot Unbuntu. I did and it is a success.
    However has one problem: 'p' key on screen keyboard is not working.
    run xev, it is obvious that 'p' is converted to some kind of notification, instead of a key-pressed event. It becomes OK only if I close the chroot-ubuntu xterm window, eg., kill the XFCE processes (wm, panels, and others).

    It is all fine in LXDE though. However the taskbar of LXDE is on bottom and
    covered by the on-screen keyboard, so cannot use it.

    Any idea? It is just interestingly awkward.
    attachments show whats required, 1 shows a nice keyboard if u cant get Florence working which is KVKBD, other pic shows where the keyboard shortcuts go that are interfering with your keymapping, there will be around 4 entries, just delete them all.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    attachments show whats required, 1 shows a nice keyboard if u cant get Florence working which is KVKBD, other pic shows where the keyboard shortcuts go that are interfering with your keymapping, there will be around 4 entries, just delete them all.
    Would you care to make a quick write up on how to boot XFCE at startup so you could do it full screen without bluetooth keyboard?
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  6. Kaerey's Avatar
    Posts
    539 Posts
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    Would you care to make a quick write up on how to boot XFCE at startup so you could do it full screen without bluetooth keyboard?
    Simple solution, use the autoconfigure script listed in the other thread, once it is done installing, install your preferred gui/desktop manager, and then with internalz or other file editor edit the script in /usr/bin/ called startlxde to not autostart lxde but your preferred gui.
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    Would you care to make a quick write up on how to boot XFCE at startup so you could do it full screen without bluetooth keyboard?
    i asked 1 of the devs for a file to utterly remove the keyboard without the option to bring it back if i removed my bluetooth keyboard, i was just lucky he gave me well written details a ****** like me could follow to get the results i needed (big thanks again), however now there is the "Tweak" app available which gives the option to set the keyboard type before you run the chroot environment.

    autostarting is a weird thing, tried a few, didnt like any of the results, always something that goes wrong time to time, best result would be editing /etc/rc.local or /etc/fstab, dont know if its just because im using mounted images or ive got a damaged filesystem in need of repair but i get "read only filesystem" when i try (possibly by design of the chroot env?).

    basically still looking for something foolproof (me proof), the better version i have runs but also tries to rerun xfce desktop every time a terminal window opens, was thinking of changing my /bin/go to do an environment variable check of some kind like you could in dos/windows, all depends if XFCE4 sets any up after its finished loading ofc, if so could just tell xfce4 to "load" only IF a certain env variable is NOT present.

    probably a far simpler method ofc, just clutching at straws atm and trying allsorts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by geekpeter; 09/06/2011 at 03:47 PM.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    i asked 1 of the devs for a file to utterly remove the keyboard without the option to bring it back if i removed my bluetooth keyboard, i was just lucky he gave me well written details a ****** like me could follow to get the results i needed (big thanks again), however now there is the "Tweak" app available which gives the option to set the keyboard type before you run the chroot environment.

    autostarting is a weird thing, tried a few, didnt like any of the results, always something that goes wrong time to time, best result would be editing /etc/rc.local or /etc/fstab, dont know if its just because im using mounted images or ive got a damaged filesystem in need of repair but i get "read only filesystem" when i try (possibly by design of the chroot env?).
    ha ha, I was actually looking for the autoscript thread! Just got back from living in a dead zone for the last few days and wanted to do some ubuntu goodness! I was looking for a way to launch LXDE or XFCE without using the keyboard (automatically when ubuntu starts)
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    ha ha, I was actually looking for the autoscript thread! Just got back from living in a dead zone for the last few days and wanted to do some ubuntu goodness! I was looking for a way to launch LXDE or XFCE without using the keyboard (automatically when ubuntu starts)
    aye working on that 2, edited my last post a bit late.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    attachments show whats required, 1 shows a nice keyboard if u cant get Florence working which is KVKBD, other pic shows where the keyboard shortcuts go that are interfering with your keymapping, there will be around 4 entries, just delete them all.
    what is this nice keyboard? really nice
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by goTouch View Post
    what is this nice keyboard? really nice
    its KVKBD, scaleable, has keypad popout/popaway, open from icon in toolbar or a floating dock icon u can place anywhere on your desktop.
  12.    #12  
    weird, kbkbd does not display the keys correctly. see the pic.
    florence also display in same wrong way.
    any idea?
    Attached Images Attached Images
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by goTouch View Post
    weird, kbkbd does not display the keys correctly. see the pic.
    florence also display in same wrong way.
    any idea?
    You need to run
    Code:
    setxkbmap us
    before starting your window manager.
  14.    #14  
    cool! worked like a charm.
    but my bluetooth keyboard is then not mapped correctly.
    can I use a predefined map config file instead of run xkbmap?
    just like onboard does not need xkbmap.
  15. #15  
    goto keyboard prefs and change the keyboard type to 101 (not international)
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    goto keyboard prefs and change the keyboard type to 101 (not international)
    I do set it to 101 layout in XFCE keyboard preference. Will try LXDE too.
    what's the 'default' layout if I do not run xkbmap us?
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by goTouch View Post
    I do set it to 101 layout in XFCE keyboard preference. Will try LXDE too.
    what's the 'default' layout if I do not run xkbmap us?
    Actually, these two have same effect for me,
    - xkbmap us
    - set layout to 101 instead of system default in Xfce4 keyboard preference.
    after this, kvkbd shows the keys correctly and works, but on my Bluetooth keyboard could not type in correctly.
    If using the system default layout, then Bluetooth keyboard works, but kvkbd shows wrong keys.
    Any way to get both work together? Onboard works fine though, just not good looking.
  18. #18  
    ill have a play just as soon as my systems back to normal, a rogue patch trashed my tpads ui (couldnt get devmode back up to remove) and had to doctor/restart.
  19. decalex's Avatar
    Posts
    238 Posts
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    #19  
    Anyone know of a way to get an ALT shortcut with the (HP) bluetooth keyboard in LXDE?
  20. decalex's Avatar
    Posts
    238 Posts
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    #20  
    Bump and, it seems that some kind of "ALT - lock" has been triggered a few times in LXDE (using the bluetooth keyboard). When this is stuck, and I hit 'Tab' for example, it switches between applications (like alt-tab). I haven't been able to figure out what triggers it. Any ideas?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions