1.    #1  
    I'm working on the prefox for webos 3.0+ and the touchpad. Everything compiled fine against the latest firefox/fennec source and S/PDK from palm. However there is no virtual keyboard as it isn't set. I know in pdk applications you have to manually set the keyboard using PDL_SetKeyboardState . I also know in enyo applications it will handle the keyboard automatically when a text input event is selected. I've tried searching but couldn't find anything on this type of keyboard handling for pdk applications. Has anyone find a good way to implement the keyboard state in this manor?

Prefox interface is pretty much the same interface as fennec on android. There are some minor rotation issues I'm still working on my from searching it seems the sdl set orientation is a little buggy anyway. I don't really want to mess with changing the interface or creating a hybrid application, although it is a possibility. What I'm looking for is if there is a "right" way, or should I just do my own job, to go about setting the keyboard state for pdk application. Specifically only when an input event is triggered, i.e. taping to enter a url. I've searched through the palm documentation and google but haven't run into this.
    are you using the original code from prefox. I was thinking about getting into this. I have not done c in years. But would like to brush up. From what I have seen you have to manually call the keyboard with the PDL_SetKeyboardState command. You will also have to listen fir the close key and manually close.

https://developer.palm.com/distribut...p?f=70&t=17062
    Last edited by theinnkeeper; 09/05/2011 at 12:21 PM.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by theinnkeeper View Post
    are you using the original code from prefox. I was thinking about getting into this. I have not done c in years. But would like to brush up. From what I have seen you have to manually call the keyboard with the PDL_SetKeyboardState command. You will also have to listen fir the close key and manually close.

I am, I've only made a few changes to get it compiling and rotating correctly. If your interested I'll setup a github with the source. I've pm'ed the original author but he hasn't responded. Simply for testing sake right now I have it set to open the keyboard on rotation, and after it opens everything seems to be working, except there is a crash if you try to install an add on. The more I've been looking at it though it seems that it might be better to migrate the frontend to enyo and have a hybrid application. Its more work but in the end I feel it would provide better integration than what we currently get. I've never done any WebOS progaming at all, so I'm just talking without experience here. Also I've never really programmed in c or c++. I've messed around some and sent a few patches to wine. I'm a python guy but I figure someone needs to get firefox on these touchpads.

Another thought I also had with moving to a hybrid application is we could move the base from fennec to the desktop tree. I've haven't looking into everything much, just getting started but I think it should work fine. It would then be compatible with more addons and if we have out own interface then it doesn't really mater what the backend is. So might as well unleash the full potential right?
    Sharing sounds good, i have the keyboard showing when a textbox is selected. I have noticed though that scrolling to divs' and iframes does not seem to be working. not sure if this something that has to be written into the code to push events down to the children?

Im not sure how much work would be to implement the hybrid. Im actually a java guy so im trying to make sense of it
    I've been trying to get it working... Same problems..
    There seems to be a patch for the iframe/scrolling div problem, but its part of beta 4.
    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=605618
    When i try to update the code base to beta 4 it breaks other things. So i guess ill try to manually make the changes that they have.
    It would be cool to try to upload the code somewhere so a few of us can work on this.
    Great initiation guys. I think there is another group on precentral working on this project. I'd recommend to pool the resources coz:

1. We NEED a solid browser for the TP. No doubt about that.
    2. This is going to be a BIG project.

The other threads dealing with prefox
    1. http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-2-issues.html
    2. http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...13-prefox.html
    Did you ever setup a github for this? It would be interesting to get this going again.