1.    #1  
    I'm not sure what happened to the media indexer after webOS 2.x, but it certainly doesn't work as well as it did with webOS 1.x. I never had any problems with my Pre finding mp3s, images, or PDFs, but my Veer and TouchPad are a different story. Sometimes a PDF or some other document attached to an email and saved to the device will be found, other times it won't. The same is true for audio files, images, and movies copied to the device. Take a photo or record a movie on the Veer, start the appropriate viewing app, and it can't be found. Find the file with Internalz and it opens just fine. Erase a directory, copy files, and restart - it will find some of the times. Do the operation again, and it may find the same files again, or it may find a different set of files. It is as if the indexer has a problem with a file's metadata or some other error and skips the rest of the directory tree.

I know there have been several "fixes" threads, but even after doing those operations, not everything works. One of the reasons I got a TouchPad was to take advantage of that 32G of space for use as a music player at work and I got the Veer to be a replacement for my Pre. It's disappointing that they won't recognize most of the files that worked just fine on my Pre (I know Audiophile has it's own indexer, but sometimes it doesn't work either. No offense to the developer, but I also don't like the UI as much as Remix or the stock app.). It's frustrating enough that I think people would donate towards a homebrew media indexer project that would be a drop in replacement for the stock service. Here some of the things that I think would be useful.

A UI that would be able to control the operation of the indexer and allow the user to:

Initialize the media database(s) and restart the indexing process.

Specify user defined media types. This could be done by just file extensions or a custom mime type configuration file.

Be able to ignore metadata errors. For example, if the indexer uses a library function to determine the file type by ID3 tag or any other metadata in the file and that fails, fall back to just match by file extension.

Be able to specify directories to not index

Be able to specify file name patterns to not index.

Be able to switch back to the stock indexer.

I'm sure there are features that other people can think of too.

Are there any developers that would be willing to take on a project like this? It probably doesn't push the envelop like the overclocking kernels, but I'd much rather have a 1.2GHz TouchPad that would consistently find the multimedia files I copy to it and who knows when HP will actually release a fix.

Thanks
    +1 to this! And I'm willing to donate to the cause as well.

My Pre 2 has this exact same issue which makes transferring new music a pain in the rear.
  3.    #3  
    I have found that mp3's purchased from Amazon on my 1.x Pre do not play well with webOS 2.x or 3.x devices. Remove those and most of the files are found ok.
    Next version of Audiophile has expanded the customization options for indexing, and should work much more consistently.

However, the issues I have had with getting Audiophile to work is part of the reason a custom indexer is so hard. There are so many things that can go wrong and crash the program.

The easy part is traversing all the files, but even that is complicated by symbolic links and circular directory references. Once you find the files you need to parse them. That is made difficult by the fact that you need specialized libraries to read each file format, and often times you get malformed headers that you have to work around. Once you have the files indexed, you need to store them in a database that is easy to update, and yet still quick, and which can handle the operations the developers need for access. Finally, you need to figure out how to schedule the thing to run, and have to do so in a way that won't be too unpleasant for the user. It's not easy.

For someone looking to do it, Audiophiles is probably the most heavily tested alternative out there, and it's open source.

Finaly, just curious what you don't like about the gui?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyuepik View Post
    Finaly, just curious what you don't like about the gui?
    too much "eye candy" for my taste. I tend to prefer apps/websites that are just text w/ the minimal number of stock gui controls to get the job done.