webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developers >  webOS Development > Easy Autoconfiguration for Ubuntu
Easy Autoconfiguration for Ubuntu
Like Tree45Likes

Old 08/31/2011, 04:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

I have been seeing a lot of problems from people that have successfully followed the instructions found on the first page of TUTORIAL: How to get Ubuntu on the TouchPad, but are still having trouble getting a good working graphical environment.

In that thread Bradmont provides some very helpful instructions which have since been buried and overlooked. To that end I have put together an very easy automated process for you to follow that will configure Ubuntu for you once it is installed. After following these quick steps you will have:
  • Non-privileged user account that is added to the sudoers list.
  • Options for using Netbook Launcher on top of LXDE, a bare version of LXDE, or XFCE4 which will auto-launch into a session for the user account with dbus activated when Ubuntu is started by Xecutah. (If Netbook Launcher is selected, you should install Easystroke as the long-tap for rightclick does not work to add programs to favorites.)
  • Date and time are properly set
  • Working audio. (Thanks to Willard and premiso)
  • Useless start up terminal window is hidden automatically.
  • Florence Virtual Keyboard OR Onboard virtual keyboard with a slightly corrected version of Bradmont's layout (Note: Use Caps button on onboard instead of shift for now). ***See note about keyboard differences below ***Caution: Do not install Florence if you plan on using a Bluetooth keyboard.
  • Easystroke can be preloaded with some gestures and set to start at login. (Easystroke seems to slow down typing significantly. With Florence and longtap=rightclick you might not need to use it.) ***More info on included gestures below.
  • libgtkstylus right click is enabled (long tap to right click).
  • rdesktop, xtightvncviewer, and SSH are installed.
  • xournal installed for tablet writing and PDF viewing/annotation.
  • Evince PDF viewer installed.
  • Synaptic Package Manager, wmctrl, gnash (flash plugin), gamix, are also installed.
  • An option to automount the USB partition (/media/internal) will be given. [CAUTION: if you do this, be sure you unmount the partition before trying to uninstall Ubuntu and clearing /media/ext3fs]
  • Also there is an option to install LibreOffice
  • Finally, any errors (and there will be) that occur during window manager launches will be written to ~/.wman.err. These probably wont be important but may be helpful during future troubleshooting.

This will give you environment that should be much more friendly to the common Linux user. If there is enough interest I may make this process a bit easier and add more options (ie different window managers).

NOTE: This is intended to be done over a clean install of Ubuntu. If you do it on existing install that should be ok, but if you set it up for a user that already exists, some (all) of your previous configurations may be wiped out.

Please let me know how this process works for you and how it can be improved.

Now, on with the show...

STEP 1: From the Ubuntu command line type (all commands are from the Ubuntu prompt)
Code:
apt-get install wget
this will install wget which is needed to grab the configuration scripts and files from my server.

STEP 2:
Code:
wget alloutofwine.com/ubuntuconf.tar.gz
This will download my configuration files to your current directory and can (should) be deleted after everything is done.

STEP 3:
Code:
tar xzfv ubuntuconf.tar.gz
This will unpack the compressed file into a folder called ubuntuconf. This folder also can (should) be deleted when everything is done.

STEP 4:
Code:
cd ubuntuconf
STEP 5:
Code:
./runme.sh
This will run the configuration script. Make sure you get the ./ in there. It will ask you a few questions at the beginning and then proceed to install everything. When it asks for your username do not put in "root", or "sudo" or any other linux command or standard user, use something unique. The installation will take a good amount of time depending on your internet speed. Chances are you will lose the webOS keyboard part way though the install. That is fine because you should not need to type anything else, you are done. When it finishes installing just restart Luna (or reboot the device if you don't know what Luna is) and the webOS keyboard will return. When you launch Ubuntu next you should find yourself in the window manager and ready to go.

STEP 6 (Optional):
Head over to Preware and get Tweaks. This will let you eliminate (or resize) the webOS keyboard. I know I said this was optional, but I was lying, just do it.

----
Differences Between the Two Types of Keyboards:

Florence is a very nice looking keyboard that you can resize however you like. It also has a button in the tray to raise/lower it so you don't need Easystroke for this. On the left side there are a number of keyboard control buttons (a wrench for configuration and a set of arrows for moving are the most useful). In the controls menu you can turn off window decoration which removes the title bar so it takes up a bit less space. Having the window decoration turned on makes resizing much easier.
The down side of Florence is that it will completely garble webOS, Onboard, and bluetooth keyboards. This is the reason the installer only lets you choose one or the other. I am working on a fix for this.

Onboard is more stable, but its pretty ugly for now and you must use Easystroke to drop and raise the keyboard. On the upside, its layout is comparable with the webOS keyboard so you can use that as a back up.

You can always switch by running the install script again and chose different options.

----

Some Info on the Preconfigured Easygesture:
I preprogramming 4 basic gestures for you:
Right click
Close current window
Bring up Onboard keyboard if installed (Thanks to Bradmont for providing the script)
<ENTER> button. This is useful so you don't need to double click icons to launch them.

-----

I want to give a huge thanks to weoOS Internals, Rennat, Geekpeter, Bradmont, Qole, Willard and Premiso who have all been instrumental in getting my own setup working. I hope that this can be my way to give something back to such a great community.

-----

Change Log
  • 12/1/2011:
  • Added option for Netbook Launcher
  • Minor bug fixes
  • 9/7/2011:
  • Added the option for installing Florence or Onboard keyboard
  • Fixed the "host not resolved" issue when using sudo
  • No longer installs gnome-terminal
  • More reliable automounting internal partition.
  • Added a number of checks during install to make sure there are no duplicate entries in configuration files.
  • 9/2/2011:
  • Fixed time zone setting
  • Added a check for valid username
  • 9/1/2011:
  • Fixed permissions issues for some of the config files
  • Unless terminal window is now auto hidden on the second desktop
  • Added desktop pager to lxpanel
  • xournal and evince now auto install

Last edited by zane9000; 12/01/2011 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Updated download link
zane9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by kill_Dano, jbennett, grandmastem and 26 others like this.
Old 08/31/2011, 11:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

Very nice. Thank you for your work. This will be a great tool for those that wish to utilize a somewhat stable environment. If you are now looking for more to do, I would LOVE to see something similar for ubuntu-netbook
Ubuntu Netbook Remix - WebOS Internals
Liked by yard*tent likes this.
Old 08/31/2011, 03:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for that link, Kaerey. If I get some time this week I will try to add ubuntu-netbook as an install option.
Old 08/31/2011, 07:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Gave your baby a thorough test run last night and I love it. There are, however, a few issues:

1.)You didn't provide us with a root password. Thus we can run programs like synaptic only from the terminal command line and have no root access at all (except for running commands with "sudo").

2.)This version of onboard lacks a number of import keys (@, :, among others). I solved this easily by installing matchbox-keyboard and assigned an easystroke gesture to it.

3.)I couldn't find a way to choose among the regional options during setup, only return works.

4.)Perhaps it is just me and my clumsy hands, but I find round swipes register a lot easier
--- the angled swipes I have to redo over and over again before I get results. Anyway, this is easily solved by ourselves in easystrokes.

5.)One suggestion I have is an option to get not run the user account and LXDE but to default to the root directory in the terninal every time we start up. Or a small menu to choose among different users?

6.)I am still having this keyboard problem with Remmina RDP that nobody else seems to have. Once I am on the remote computer and try to log in, the keyboard doesn't work properly (only the top and bottom row work at all, but even they don't display the correct results). This is the same with other GUIs and all keyboards I have tried, but strangely enough, for all other RDP programs (TSclient, GRDesktop, KDRC,, Gnome-Desktop) the keyboard work. What is messing up the keyboard mapping, and how to reset it? I would appreciate it if you guys have any thoughts.

Thanks again for the great job, a big help for those of us who just want to get our feet wet in Linux (meaning finding an easy way of using Ubuntu to get some functionality not available in WebOS) and not dive all the way in.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by armepocho likes this.
Old 08/31/2011, 07:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Before I forget it, and option to resize the keyboard would be nice. Onboard is gigantic in landscape mode and doesn't fit the screen in portrait. It might also be a good idea if height could be squashed to show more of the screen for those with small fingers.
Old 08/31/2011, 08:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hey, thanks for the feedback! I think I can address most of what you brought up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
1.)You didn't provide us with a root password. Thus we can run programs like synaptic only from the terminal command line and have no root access at all (except for running commands with "sudo").
I suggest just using sudo, I haven't the slightest idea what the root password is. If you really want a root terminal, you can "sudo su" and you will drop in as root.

Quote:
2.)This version of onboard lacks a number of import keys (@, :, among others). I solved this easily by installing matchbox-keyboard and assigned an easystroke gesture to it.
I had a lot of issues with matchbox-keyboard being unstable. All of the needed keys are there, just touch the colored boxes on the right side of the keyboard (double tap for it to be sticky).

Quote:
3.)I couldn't find a way to choose among the regional options during setup, only return works.
The blue key button on the keyboard shows the arrow keys.

Quote:
4.)Perhaps it is just me and my clumsy hands, but I find round swipes register a lot easier
--- the angled swipes I have to redo over and over again before I get results. Anyway, this is easily solved by ourselves in easystrokes.
Whatever works best for you. I just wanted to include something because some people were having trouble getting it configured

Quote:
5.)One suggestion I have is an option to get not run the user account and LXDE but to default to the root directory in the terninal every time we start up. Or a small menu to choose among different users?
I didn't want to default to root because there are a number of programs that wont run correctly. I may work on getting some sort of a login manager working.

Quote:
6.)I am still having this keyboard problem with Remmina RDP that nobody else seems to have. Once I am on the remote computer and try to log in, the keyboard doesn't work properly (only the top and bottom row work at all, but even they don't display the correct results). This is the same with other GUIs and all keyboards I have tried, but strangely enough, for all other RDP programs (TSclient, GRDesktop, KDRC,, Gnome-Desktop) the keyboard work. What is messing up the keyboard mapping, and how to reset it? I would appreciate it if you guys have any thoughts.
Sorry, but I have never used Remmina :/

Last edited by zane9000; 08/31/2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 08/31/2011, 08:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Before I forget it, and option to resize the keyboard would be nice. Onboard is gigantic in landscape mode and doesn't fit the screen in portrait. It might also be a good idea if height could be squashed to show more of the screen for those with small fingers.
When I get the time I am going to try to rework the layout (unless someone else gets to it first). Compared to the default, Bradmont's layout is amazing, but I agree that it still has a way to go.
Liked by ghostinator likes this.
Old 08/31/2011, 08:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Sudo su --- I just learned something new. Yes, that should be enough. I didn't want to default to root, I just wanted the option to go to root.

Another comment on the onboard kb. Shift doesn't work and caps lock works as shift.
Liked by mwfoshee likes this.
Old 09/01/2011, 12:25 AM   #9 (permalink)

nuked my install to try this and it worked great.
Old 09/01/2011, 02:41 AM   #10 (permalink)

omg this was so good I absolutely felt the need to run webos doctor and reinstall everything to make it happen!
mkln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/01/2011, 03:03 AM   #11 (permalink)

oh btw how can I resize the letters in onboard? they are kinda big and make confusion on screen. If they were smaller it would be better.

Also, I followed the instructions to delete the partition to reinstall webos with a larger (6gb) partition for linux.

but how do I check that everything went smoothly? because at this point I am afraid something went wrong because I have 25.5 gb total in my TP and from the home folder on ubuntu it says 2.1gb total.
2gb are missing (not surprisingly it's the same size the previous ubuntu partition was)
Old 09/01/2011, 10:32 AM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks for getting this set up. I had previously used the no-install recommends method and had LXDE & Libreoffice running on just 2GB with plenty to spare.

I ran your script, and now have all the features you set up and still have over 300MB free. Just a note to those who don't want to bother with re-sizing the partition and all that comes with it.
amorfeusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/01/2011, 10:42 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkln View Post
oh btw how can I resize the letters in onboard? they are kinda big and make confusion on screen. If they were smaller it would be better.
I think that is changed in the layout file (/usr/share/onboard/layouts/Default.onboard), but I'm not sure. I really am not too familiar with onboard, Bradmont has done most of the work here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkln View Post
Also, I followed the instructions to delete the partition to reinstall webos with a larger (6gb) partition for linux....
Again I am not very well versed here, but I think the problem might be you did not delete the ext3 partition before using meta-doctor again? These instructions might be helpful.
Old 09/01/2011, 10:57 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorfeusz View Post
Thanks for getting this set up. I had previously used the no-install recommends method and had LXDE & Libreoffice running on just 2GB with plenty to spare.

I ran your script, and now have all the features you set up and still have over 300MB free. Just a note to those who don't want to bother with re-sizing the partition and all that comes with it.

Thanks, I will play with this and see about adding it to my script.
Old 09/01/2011, 11:19 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane9000 View Post
Again I am not very well versed here, but I think the problem might be you did not delete the ext3 partition before using meta-doctor again? These instructions might be helpful.
That's what I did! For some reason the config file didn't work either. I had uncommented it so that developer mode was on and preware downloaded automatically. And of course, the 6gb partition. What I got is a 2 gb partition and none of the other things.
I think I'll do everything again (it's good practice lol) but I really don't know why the partition didn't get deleted.

Is there a way to list partitions with their sizes? Fdisk gives me numbers I don't understand..
Old 09/01/2011, 11:59 AM   #16 (permalink)

Thanks so much for your work on this!!! Between your config and the HOW TO tutorial, this project seems almost ***** proof enough for me to give it a whirl.....
Unfortunately, I'm a pretty big ***** with no real experience with linux. As I said elswhere, I talked myself out of attempting this once we got document editing within Webos. I now only need a decent .pdf reader that scales text properly when zoomed in. I understand that this can be done in an ubuntu card. I have received my email from the army of monkeys. I just need one last push.
I hate to seem like a mewling newb that asks to be spoonfed....but the description kinda fits.....and you guys are AWESOME!!!! So..... could someone kinda, maybe do a youtube thingy showing the lily livered among us what we are missing with regards to a proper .pdf reader under the gui setup that you have here?
I know it's alot to ask of someone's time but I know I am not the only one who needs this "teaser" to jump into the void.
crutzulee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/01/2011, 12:17 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crutzulee View Post
Thanks so much for your work on this!!! Between your config and the HOW TO tutorial, this project seems almost ***** proof enough for me to give it a whirl.....
Unfortunately, I'm a pretty big ***** with no real experience with linux. As I said elswhere, I talked myself out of attempting this once we got document editing within Webos. I now only need a decent .pdf reader that scales text properly when zoomed in. I understand that this can be done in an ubuntu card. I have received my email from the army of monkeys. I just need one last push.
I hate to seem like a mewling newb that asks to be spoonfed....but the description kinda fits.....and you guys are AWESOME!!!! So..... could someone kinda, maybe do a youtube thingy showing the lily livered among us what we are missing with regards to a proper .pdf reader under the gui setup that you have here?
I know it's alot to ask of someone's time but I know I am not the only one who needs this "teaser" to jump into the void.
I am no better than you on linux so my solution for this is probably suboptimal.

Install xournal

"apt-get install xournal" on terminal

Then use it to open downloaded pdfs.

This works much better than the adobe reader on webos!
Old 09/01/2011, 12:23 PM   #18 (permalink)

This sounds great, but I'm curious why it needs so much free space.

I mean, none of those applications are that large or anything, so needing at least a 3GB partition seems crazy to me. Maybe I'm missing something though.

I'd love to try this, but I'm using an image file so I don't have to doctor my Touchpad and have to re-download all of my apps, so I guess I'm SOL.
jhoff80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/01/2011, 12:28 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

I mean, none of those applications are that large or anything, so needing at least a 3GB partition seems crazy to me. Maybe I'm missing something though.

I'd love to try this, but I'm using an image file so I don't have to doctor my Touchpad and have to re-download all of my apps, so I guess I'm SOL.
Yeah actually the procedure works even with a 2gb partition with still some hundreds mb of free space so I guess you need more size if you want to install more things..
Thanked By: jhoff80
Old 09/01/2011, 12:42 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
It doesn't. After I installed everything I opened the file manager to check how much free space was left. I had 4.5GB out of 6GB free and somehow I read that as I had used 4.5GB. Sorry for the confusion!
Liked by slamdunksaliby likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0