Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
Like Tree45Likes
    Is there any easy way to leave the LXDE environment and go back to the chroot command line? I tried logout but that doesn't actually shutdown LXDE. If not, how to I change it so that it doesn't launch automatically when starting the chroot. I would like to play around with setting up other GUIs and I can't seem to easily shutdown LXDE.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samiller View Post
    A direct way to get to root is to start Xserver then Xterm from Xecutah. That gets you to the root of WebOS. Then you can "chroot /media/ext3fs/ubuntu-natty-chroot" to get to the root of the Ubuntu installation. From there, you can add your user to the admin group, e.g., with "usermod -G -a admin username". That should be all you need to enable sudo.
    that did it....we'll I had to adjust the command a little to "usermod -a -G admin 'username'"

now sudo works. Thanks!!
  3.    #163  
    Quote Originally Posted by samiller View Post
    A direct way to get to root is to start Xserver then Xterm from Xecutah. That gets you to the root of WebOS. Then you can "chroot /media/ext3fs/ubuntu-natty-chroot" to get to the root of the Ubuntu installation. From there, you can add your user to the admin group, e.g., with "usermod -G -a admin username". That should be all you need to enable sudo.
    Or you can just run a second instance of Ubuntu Chroot and it will open a terminal that is logged into root.
  4.    #164  
    Quote Originally Posted by acithium View Post
    I'm in the same category as some of the other people here in that the root password has been reset. I can't sudo anything because I'm not in the sudoers file. Does anyone have a clue on what it might be. I tried 'root', but that wasn't it.

am I looking at having to completely start fresh again?
    Did you use my install script? It should have added your username to the sudoers list. I am curious if it didn't work for you.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    yea, i used the script, but not from a fresh install. i already had my username setup and lxde installed.
    also, i found a chromium extension called chrometouch. it enables iphone touch gestures. the scrolling works, butno multi-touch, but this could be an X thing.

thanks for all the help. also, i'm up for testing out new stuff if ned be, just let me know.
  6.    #166  
    Quote Originally Posted by masterosok View Post
    Is there any easy way to leave the LXDE environment and go back to the chroot command line? I tried logout but that doesn't actually shutdown LXDE. If not, how to I change it so that it doesn't launch automatically when starting the chroot. I would like to play around with setting up other GUIs and I can't seem to easily shutdown LXDE.
    Assuming you are using my install script... If you want to get out of the environment, goto the main terminal that ran all of the start up stuff (should have been moved to desktop #2) and hit Ctrl-C. That will kill the lxsession. Make sure you have all other windows closed first.

If you want to stop LXDE from autostarting just comment out (or remove) the line from /root/.bashrc that says "su - <USERNAME> -c 'dbus-launch startlxde' 2> /home/<USERNAME>/.startlxde.err". It should be the last line of the file.
    heh, that will return you to the chroot command line, but since the keyboard is disabled and you can no longer run florence with lxsession off. You just get a wall of ^C spam, which essentially renders command line useless. I lol'd for sure.
  8.    #168  
    reenable webOS keyboard first....
    Quote Originally Posted by zane9000 View Post

You should have rdesktop and xtightvncviewer installed.

It might be a java thing. If you send me a link I can try to investigate.
    I see xtightvncviewer but I don't see rdesktop under "other" or "internet", should I type apt-get install rdesktop from the ubuntu root line?

website is eightelementswest.com, I tried to click on "book a class" on the front page with chromium and got nowhere.

thanks, still amazed at this setup.
    reenable webOS keyboard first....
    well obviously, but aren't the keys still fubar'd from florence being on? Still hilarious either way. :-P

edit: confirmed, webos keyboard remains unusable after ctrl + c to return to chroot command line. This applies only to people with the florence install obviously.
    Last edited by Aredon; 09/12/2011 at 01:04 PM.
    I am using florence and did not install easystroke. is there an alternate method for right click?
  12.    #172  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    I see xtightvncviewer but I don't see rdesktop under "other" or "internet", should I type apt-get install rdesktop from the ubuntu root line?

website is eightelementswest.com, I tried to click on "book a class" on the front page with chromium and got nowhere.

thanks, still amazed at this setup.
    Open a terminal and type "rdesktop <IP ADDRESS>". I am not sure if there is a menu entry.

I will take a look at that site when I get a chance.
  13.    #173  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aredon View Post
    well obviously, but aren't the keys still fubar'd from florence being on? Still hilarious either way. :-P

edit: confirmed, webos keyboard remains unusable after ctrl + c to return to chroot command line. This applies only to people with the florence install obviously.
    Well, crud...

EDIT: You could try doing "ps -A | grep 'lx' " and kill all of the related processes.
  14.    #174  
    Quote Originally Posted by grandmastem View Post
    I am using florence and did not install easystroke. is there an alternate method for right click?
    A long tap should give you a rightclick in many circumstances.
    Assuming you are using my install script... If you want to get out of the environment, goto the main terminal that ran all of the start up stuff (should have been moved to desktop #2) and hit Ctrl-C. That will kill the lxsession. Make sure you have all other windows closed first.

If you want to stop LXDE from autostarting just comment out (or remove) the line from /root/.bashrc that says "su - <USERNAME> -c 'dbus-launch startlxde' 2> /home/<USERNAME>/.startlxde.err". It should be the last line of the file.
    After I did this I was getting an error in chroot stating unexpected end to /root/.bashrc so like an ***** I deleted it thinking I would just rerun the script and it would rebuilt it. Well the file now only contains just the line you reference above and I am not sure how to get the old file back as it had a lot of other stuff in it. I think most of it was commented out but I am not sure. Any ideas on how to restore the old file?
    Hulu working for anyone? I should say Flash in genreal... I can tell it is installed because aspects of flash load, but no video or animated playback works. Hulu will usually tell chromium the page is hanging and ask if you want to kill it. any ideas?

-Matt
  17.    #177  
    Quote Originally Posted by grandmastem View Post
    Hulu working for anyone? I should say Flash in genreal... I can tell it is installed because aspects of flash load, but no video or animated playback works. Hulu will usually tell chromium the page is hanging and ask if you want to kill it. any ideas?

-Matt
    Open chromium and type
    Code:
    chrome:plugins
    into the address bar. That will show you the installed plugins. There should be two installed. Try disabling one and restartng chromium. If that doesn't work try disabling the other and restarting.

Chances are Hulu will be disappointing at best though. The opensource flash players seem to be sub par.
  18.    #178  
    Quote Originally Posted by masterosok View Post
    After I did this I was getting an error in chroot stating unexpected end to /root/.bashrc so like an ***** I deleted it thinking I would just rerun the script and it would rebuilt it. Well the file now only contains just the line you reference above and I am not sure how to get the old file back as it had a lot of other stuff in it. I think most of it was commented out but I am not sure. Any ideas on how to restore the old file?
    I have attached the complete file. Just copy it over your .bashrc file (make sure you rename the attached file properly). I removed the line that causes autostarting lxde.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Hello,

I've read this post and the first one but I didn't find how to do what I would like.

How can we access to files which are saved in the WebOs partition from Ubuntu (videos, doc...)

PS I'm french and may have passed through how to resolve my problems on the forum
    Last edited by goeuby; 09/12/2011 at 03:28 PM. Reason: resolve first problem
    I have attached the complete file. Just copy it over your .bashrc file (make sure you rename the attached file properly). I removed the line that causes autostarting lxde.
    Thanks all seem well now. I even created a gesture for Ctrl-C to term the LXDE session when in the chroot prompt so I don't have to use the onboard keyboard because once the LXDE session ends you can't move it around and it blocks my view of the commandline.

Thanks for all the help and a wicked script.

Edit: Still have one more issue. I get an error stating Failed to run /usr/share/apport/apport-gtk as user root. Unable to copy the user's Xauthorization file when I start LXDE. Not sure what is causing this, however it doesn't seem to prohibit me from doing anything I have tried thus far.
    Last edited by masterosok; 09/12/2011 at 07:54 PM. Reason: props
Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast