webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developers >  webOS Development > Easy Autoconfiguration for Ubuntu
Easy Autoconfiguration for Ubuntu
Like Tree45Likes

Old 09/08/2011, 06:51 PM   #121 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferney.archer View Post
It took me two days staying up late and reading a whole lot to get this ubuntu all set up. Now im done and i gota say, it was worth it. Thank you all for all the detailed instructions and work to make this happen. Im not too educatied in linux so this is a pretty interesting software to use. I though 2g was not going to be enough so i made an 8g partition when installing. I have the 32g and use kalemsoft for all my media and the box, which is my next thing to setup, so i didnt think it would come out to so much free storage now. I stuck with the onboard keyboard and it works fine, tomorrow i get my bluetooth keyboard and if that works with the lxde then i will find this device to be very much worth my time and money. Everything worked fine for me fallowing all the instructions, im just slow to install and have re read everything aside for the slow internet connection.

Question, how do i change the background image in lxde. lol. i bet its something simple. IF someone could shed some light on this id appreciate it. Thank you!
Just right click on the desktop and select desktop properties to chang the pic. Keep checking back, linux is never "set up" all the way
Old 09/08/2011, 10:16 PM   #122 (permalink)

Just gotta say i uninstalled everything and reinstalled and i still have 700 mb of free memory now =) So everyone i wud suggest that you update
slamdunksaliby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/09/2011, 11:37 AM   #123 (permalink)

I'm not able to open synaptic or anything truely useful.

Quote:
unable to copy the user's xauthorization file
Quote:
gksudo synaptic
Error copying '/home/user/.Xauthority' to /tmp/tibgksu-NissGs': No such file or directory exists
any idea what's going on here?

Also while you're at it, how can I get back to the runme.sh script? I apparently missed the easystroke install.

Last edited by Aredon; 09/09/2011 at 12:06 PM.
Aredon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/09/2011, 12:33 PM   #124 (permalink)

are you running synaptic as a privileged user?
Code:
sudo synaptic
runme.sh is located at /ubuntuconf/runme.sh. To you must run it in a terminal from that directory
Code:
cd /ubuntuconf
sudo ./runme.sh
zane9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/09/2011, 12:57 PM   #125 (permalink)

For some reason or another sudo synaptic wasnt working. Now it is...

How might one nuke their install and try again?
Old 09/09/2011, 01:37 PM   #126 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredon View Post
For some reason or another sudo synaptic wasnt working. Now it is...

How might one nuke their install and try again?
The easiest/safest way to wipe your install is as follows:
1. Reboot your device
2. Start Xecutah
3. Start XTerm (DO NOT start Ubuntu)
4. Type: umount -l /media/ext3fs
5. If there were any errors something has gone wrong and you should probably post here for more help. If there were no errors move to step 6.
6. Type: mount /media/ext3fs
7. Type: rm -rf /media/ext3fs/ubuntu-natty-chroot/*
8. Type: cp /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.ubuntu-natty-chroot/ubuntu-natty-chroot.tgz /media/ext3fs/ubuntu-natty-chroot/
9. Type: cd /media/ext3fs/ubuntu-natty-chroot
10. Type: tar xzfv ubuntu-natty-chroot.tgz

Your Ubuntu install should now be clean and ca be started from Xecutah.
There are a lot of long commands in these instructions that need to be typed exactly. I really recommend using <TAB> to auto complete path names.

Last edited by zane9000; 12/04/2011 at 12:16 AM.
Liked by hebrewforkmusic and mwfoshee like this.
Thanked by denailp, mwfoshee, pre101
Old 09/09/2011, 06:13 PM   #127 (permalink)

New version is up. This fixes audio and gives a volume control button in the task bar.
Note: this volume control effects the system volume. That is, it sets the maximum volume that webOS can output.
Thanked By: bable
Old 09/09/2011, 08:07 PM   #128 (permalink)

Wiped install and reinstalled with your script so I could get the Florence keyboard. Freakin' SWEET!! Thanks again for this.
mrjinglesusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/09/2011, 08:20 PM   #129 (permalink)

Woh, wrong frame! Curse broken coffee makers...
Old 09/09/2011, 08:58 PM   #130 (permalink)

works great... love it . Thanks a ton
amarjyoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/09/2011, 09:13 PM   #131 (permalink)

when I tried to unmount it said not found, but it is running in /var/home/root and I suspect that should just be root. But you said to post if I had errors :-)

cd / and ran the unmount command again... Not found again.

which is odd because I can browse to it in internalz just fine

Last edited by Aredon; 09/09/2011 at 09:20 PM.
Old 09/09/2011, 10:13 PM   #132 (permalink)

Quote:
when I tried to unmount it said not found, but it is running in /var/home/root and I suspect that should just be root. But you said to post if I had errors :-)

I haven't had any issues with just deleting chroot and manually cleaning the folder out with internalz. It's not command liney or cool, just effective.
Old 09/09/2011, 10:40 PM   #133 (permalink)

hmmm I didn't see a delete option in internalz when I tried to do that... Explain yourself!
Old 09/09/2011, 11:08 PM   #134 (permalink)

Quote:
hmmm I didn't see a delete option in internalz when I tried to do that... Explain yourself!
I'll explain when I'm ready! Obviously, I'm ready. Go into Internalz options and turn on master mode, be careful with your new found power. Now just swipe to the side on any file and it'll ask if you want to delete it. The swipe is a pretty long one so start at the left and move your finger all the way to the right, you'll see what I mean when it works

Huh, now it's not letting me wipe whole directories so my solution would be really arduous... Is it umount /media/ext3fs that gives you the errors? Try step six just to make sure it isn't already dismounted.

Last edited by bable; 09/09/2011 at 11:16 PM.
bable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/09/2011, 11:52 PM   #135 (permalink)

ok well now I'm just confused.... Unmount gives me not found, mount gives me device or resource busy
Old 09/10/2011, 12:38 AM   #136 (permalink)

Quote:

You should be using the command "umount", not "unmount".
The purpose of unmounting and remounting the partition is to make sure that nothing on that partition is bening used. If it still spits an error at you try rebooting it again. Make sure you do not start Ubuntu between the time you restart the device and try to clear the partition.

Good luck!
Old 09/10/2011, 12:43 AM   #137 (permalink)

Beaten! I think novaterm methods might be easier when possible as people can copy and paste commands on their pc.
http://www.gadgetxplorer.com/2011/08...partition.html

Last edited by bable; 09/10/2011 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Timing
bable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2011, 12:50 AM   #138 (permalink)

Great Job! Throughout this thread I've heard talk of a way to remove the black box where the onboard keyboard belongs when I'm using my bluetooth keyboard. I followed the procedure outline above and love bypassing whole lxsession command and I thought the this would also allow me to gain access to the full screen when using my bluetooth keyboard, Am I missing something obvious or are we still waiting patiently?
mwfoshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2011, 12:54 AM   #139 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwfoshee View Post
Great Job! Throughout this thread I've heard talk of a way to remove the black box where the onboard keyboard belongs when I'm using my bluetooth keyboard. I followed the procedure outline above and love bypassing whole lxsession command and I thought the this would also allow me to gain access to the full screen when using my bluetooth keyboard, Am I missing something obvious or are we still waiting patiently?
Install tweaks in preware and turn off the onboard keyboard. Not obvious but luckily easy
Old 09/10/2011, 12:57 AM   #140 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bable View Post
Beaten! I think novaterm methods might be easier when possible as people can copy and paste commands on their pc.
gadgetXplorer: #webOS: How to remove EXT3FS partition
Those instructions are for deleting the ext3 partition. We just want it cleared, not altogether gone.

I do agree that novaterm might be easier for some though.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0