webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developers >  webOS Development > Easy Autoconfiguration for Ubuntu
Easy Autoconfiguration for Ubuntu
Like Tree45Likes

Old 08/25/2012, 10:12 AM   #501 (permalink)

So in an attempt to get a light software center on LXDE, I tried to install the lubuntu software center (available with PPA: ppa:lubuntu-desktop/ppa).

It launches, but it seems to have a problem with its sqlite database and is not able to retrieve any package list. I get the following error whenever I tap on a category:

"unable to find package list"

If someone knows what is going on, it would be good to have an alternative to the heavy, laggy Ubuntu software Center !
Old 08/25/2012, 11:16 AM   #502 (permalink)

have you tried running the "Update Manager" and going to Settings, and ticked the extra sources such as Backports, tbh just tick all 4, then try a sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade,, see if anything happens.

ive even manually added both Oneiric as well as Natty rather than just 1 to my /etc/apt/sources.list and even that seems to be working well enough.

Im running XUbuntu and Software Center is running well enough.
Old 08/25/2012, 03:02 PM   #503 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoper View Post
I've got the hp keyboard and I didn't notice any repeating keys. Did you check the batteries of the keyboard?
I've replaced the batteries several times, most recently a couple of weeks ago, so I don't think it's that.

The keyboard works fine in other, native webOS apps.

But I like to use vi a lot in the Ubuntu chroot, and whenever I try Ctrl-c or Ctrl-[ to emulate the ESC key, to go into command mode, I have to

1. Press the CTRL key, then let go.
2. Press the 'c' key or '[' to get into command mode.

It's not press-and-hold CTRL while then pressing '[' - it's like the CTRL key acts like a temporary shift-lock, until I press the next key, and then it toggles 'off'.

I found a bluetooth dongle that I attached to my Linux desktop machine, and paired the HP Bluetooth keyboard to my desktop to see what happens in vi there. The keyboard works just like my PS/2 desktop keyboard - no funky ctrl-key behavior, no repeating keys every once in a while. The upper-leftmost key - the one for pulling down the notifications on the Touchpad - that worked as the ESC key on my desktop - I think someone else may have mentioned somewhere else on the forum.

So based on that experiment, I don't think it's a problem with the keyboard - it seems to be something buried within webOS and how it handles the keyboard. And the problem is it seems to just plain stop working sometimes - the ctrl key stops working in the chroot environment until I restart, either the environment, or sometimes the whole Touchpad.

I really wish I could get a reliable working CTRL key - otherwise I could do more of my software development right on the Touchpad in vi.
George Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2012, 09:40 PM   #504 (permalink)

So I found a solution to my problem with vi - I can use the 'Alt' key (Symbol on the TP Bluetooth keyboard) at the same time as one of the meta keys in vi, and that will reliably put me in command mode. I use Alt-j or Alt-k, for example.

In case anyone else is looking for alternatives to the Esc key in vi, here is the page I found with helpful information: http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Avoid_the_escape_key
George Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/26/2012, 09:10 AM   #505 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
have you tried running the "Update Manager" and going to Settings, and ticked the extra sources such as Backports, tbh just tick all 4, then try a sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade,, see if anything happens.

ive even manually added both Oneiric as well as Natty rather than just 1 to my /etc/apt/sources.list and even that seems to be working well enough.

Im running XUbuntu and Software Center is running well enough.
So I tried all that and it is still not working. Are you sure you're talking about the lubuntu software center and not the ubuntu software center ? The latter work but not the first one. The latter is heavy on resources though !!
Old 08/27/2012, 11:40 AM   #506 (permalink)

i didnt think there was any/much difference between any of the software centers/synaptic/etc beyond their looks?
Old 08/27/2012, 01:41 PM   #507 (permalink)

Quote:
i didnt think there was any/much difference between any of the software centers/synaptic/etc beyond their looks?
well, for me ubuntu sc is quite slow. It's for this reason I wanted to try alternatives...
Old 08/27/2012, 03:57 PM   #508 (permalink)

For what it's worth, I have always used synaptic. Its very basic, but quick and gets the job done. I have never liked the Ubuntu Software Center even on a full sized computer...
zane9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/28/2012, 03:16 AM   #509 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane9000 View Post
For what it's worth, I have always used synaptic. Its very basic, but quick and gets the job done. I have never liked the Ubuntu Software Center even on a full sized computer...
Yeah, I think I'll stick with Synaptic. It's harder to find apps by categories, but it's light and has a strong search engine.
Old 09/28/2012, 08:08 PM   #510 (permalink)

So, I tried running this script after upgrading to 12.04. ie, i installed 11.04, upgraded to 11.10 then 12.004 via terminal itself. Then ran this script, but it it gave me many errors. I had to install lxde manually. And no netbook launcher. Also, synaptic had to be installed manually, but still not woorking. can you please advice?
ejasmudar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/28/2012, 10:32 AM   #511 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejasmudar View Post
So, I tried running this script after upgrading to 12.04. ie, i installed 11.04, upgraded to 11.10 then 12.004 via terminal itself. Then ran this script, but it it gave me many errors. I had to install lxde manually. And no netbook launcher. Also, synaptic had to be installed manually, but still not woorking. can you please advice?
use 11.04, install the script for a fully working system, THEN update to the higher versions of ubuntu, i often do my software updates via synaptic, then do my release upgrade afterwards, any errors after that you can post specifics from the terminal window so narrow down the requires fixes.
Old 10/30/2012, 06:01 PM   #512 (permalink)

ok, updating it to 12.04 after installing the autoconfigure script worked for me. But now synaptic isnt running from the menu. I have to manually start from gksu synaptic
Old 02/21/2013, 09:08 PM   #513 (permalink)

trying to run the synaptic package manager and keep getting this error

"Failed to run usr/sbin/synaptic as user root
Unable to copy the user's Xauthorization file.".

i am part of the admin group

what does this mean?
w2ang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/21/2013, 09:45 PM   #514 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by w2ang View Post
trying to run the synaptic package manager and keep getting this error

"Failed to run usr/sbin/synaptic as user root
Unable to copy the user's Xauthorization file.".

i am part of the admin group

what does this mean?
ran it as??

synaptic

or sudo synaptic

2nd one usually works, if its via an icon and isnt using sudo already, edit the icon and amend or make your own, or run from terminal manually.
Old 06/08/2013, 03:51 PM   #515 (permalink)

they could include in the installation script for e17?

or could help me to get it functioning if I have to start it from the terminal with :

sudo /usr/bin/enlightenment_star

looks very fast, I think it takes a lot of resources, and also feels better touch gestures
MAMISHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2013, 02:18 PM   #516 (permalink)

Is it just me or has the link to the script gone done? I think the domain has expired. Anybody has the script saved somewhere?
Old 10/02/2013, 03:20 PM   #517 (permalink)

Looks like the domain hosting the script has expired and hasn't been renewed yet.... Anyone have this script saved or able to provide the specifics on it?
projectalarum is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: ebasso
Old 10/10/2013, 11:01 AM   #518 (permalink)

up
ebasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/13/2013, 01:08 PM   #519 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebasso View Post
up
means that already works?
MAMISHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/2014, 12:49 AM   #520 (permalink)

I'm getting 404 errors when I try to run any commands. I have changed ubuntu ports to old-releases. No more 404 errors, but no upgrades, updates or able to get "wget" so I can not download the script.

All of this is because I have an idea that I can run X32-Edit. It is supposed to run in ubuntu 12.04.

Can anyone help, please?

Thanks
mckelveyw is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0