Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 121718192021222324252627 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes
  1.    #421  
    OK, something has clearly gone wrong. Instead of trying to patch that file back together, I think the best course of action is to just wipe Ubuntu and rerun the script.

Instructions to do a wipe are here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/3143847-post126.html
    This will take just a few minutes and will give you a clean ubuntu install.

Then go to the first post in this thread and try again. Make sure when you select the options in the script you type them exactly as they are shown, everything is case sensitive. I just used the script the other day and it worked fine.

And, on a side note, yes the webos user is always there.
    I got gnome fully running with sound etc. I will post a screen shot for bragging. Must try this setup. requires a sudo gnome-session command to run correctly. I suggest not using this in landscape mode and keeping original keyboard and use tweaks to keep it small. Anyways, here she is...
    Last edited by isodecryptor; 12/04/2011 at 01:38 AM. Reason: no pic
    Quote Originally Posted by isodecryptor View Post
    I got gnome fully running with sound etc. I will post a screen shot for bragging. Must try this setup. requires a sudo gnome-session command to run correctly. I suggest not using this in landscape mode and keeping original keyboard and use tweaks to keep it small. Anyways, here she is...
    Here is my install.. sudo gnome-sessions is only required command and works with sound.
    Hey Zane, thanks so much for the help. Something must be messed up somewhere. Which is odd, because as long as I used a command to start xfce4 it started and worked fine.

Anyway, I followed your instructions, making sure everything was done exactly as prescribed. When I used the autoinstallation from the first page of this thread it starting installing, but the I started to get errors. On the last page I got
    cp: cannot create regular file `/home/Der***/.config/autostart/firststart.desktop': No such file or directory
    Setting Host Name...
    Configuring sound...
    Some gnome app configurations...
    .gconf/desktop/gnome/%gconf.xml
    .gconf/desktop/gnome/interface/%gconf.xml
    .gconf/desktop/%gconf
    etc
    etc
    etc
    etc I'm just skipping the normal stuff here

/ubuntuconf
    Changing ownership from root to user...
    chown: cannot access `/home/DerekD/*: No such file or directory
    Cleaning up...
    -su: dbus-launch: command not found
    root@HPTouchPad:/ubuntuconf#

I have no idea what's going on.
    help?...

anyone have any ideas? do I need to just start over?
    zane, read your post in another thread about enlightenment launcher and looks good on youtube will be excited to see your touchpad script, thanks for the effort.
  7.    #427  
    Quote Originally Posted by zloetakoe View Post
    help?...

anyone have any ideas? do I need to just start over?
    Sorry, I have been bogged down with a conference I am attending this week.

I am going to try to recreate your issue on my touch pad. What were your responses to each option? Also, can you post your /root/.bashrc? You will need to rename it as a .txt file before uploading here.
    Quote Originally Posted by zane9000 View Post
    Sorry, I have been bogged down with a conference I am attending this week.

I am going to try to recreate your issue on my touch pad. What were your responses to each option? Also, can you post your /root/.bashrc? You will need to rename it as a .txt file before uploading here.
    No problem, sorry you're so bogged down.

Let me run it again and see what happens. I'll document what I write down and get that .bashrc file on here as well.
    Last night I thought I would give it one more shot. Guess what, it worked. Not sure what I did differently, but it's working smooth now.

THANKS A TON for the help, sorry I'm an ***** and needed so much of it.
    zane9000 likes this.
    Can you post the last few lines of /root/.bashrc?

Also, what did you choose for a user name when the script asked?
    Hi.

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner, as I figured out what the issue was.

When I originally installed Ubuntu I used my name (Thom), and when I used your script, I used it again, and that was the problem.

When I entered another name, your script worked like a charm.

Thank you for making my ubuntu install easy. I guess I need to think out of the box a little more.

As always, thank you for your efforts.

Gynotai
    HOw do I choose the Netbook Launcher? The instructions are very vauge for that portion. Thanks
    Thanks for this wonderful script. I just got ubuntu onto my touchpad and ran your script. I can't believe I have this running on the touchpad!!! Few question though

1. I love how when I word process ctrl C ctrl v etc command works perfectly fine. But I seems to have lost the ability to shift-arrow key select is there anything I can do to get it back?
    2. Chroot wrapper sh is always o***** there way to hide it?
    3.is there any way I can get dropbox working on this? Save to drop box or dropbox syncing like a desktop would be awesome

thanks for the great work!!!!!
    Last edited by threezero; 12/09/2011 at 08:35 PM.
  13.    #433  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gynotai View Post
    Hi.

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner, as I figured out what the issue was.

When I originally installed Ubuntu I used my name (Thom), and when I used your script, I used it again, and that was the problem.

When I entered another name, your script worked like a charm.

Thank you for making my ubuntu install easy. I guess I need to think out of the box a little more.

As always, thank you for your efforts.

Gynotai
    Usernames have been an issue for a lot of people. I think I need to either find a way of checking to make sure people are using a valid one, or just forcing everyone to use a default name that works....
  14.    #434  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    HOw do I choose the Netbook Launcher? The instructions are very vauge for that portion. Thanks
    When you are prompted with:

"Would you like a full window manager, or the simplified Netbook Launcher? [wm/launch] "

Type: "launch"

Please be careful when you type any of the options, everything is case sensitive and there are no validity checks yet.
  15.    #435  
    Quote Originally Posted by threezero View Post
    1. I love how when I word process ctrl C ctrl v etc command works perfectly fine. But I seems to have lost the ability to shift-arrow key select is there anything I can do to get it back?
    I will need to investigate this, but I suspect there is a way to do it. Which keyboard are you using? Both Onboard and Florence have a shift-lock feature...

2. Chroot wrapper sh is always o***** there way to hide it?
    Not sure what "o*****" is, but after you run the script it should now be automatically moved to another desktop as part of the start up process...

3.is there any way I can get dropbox working on this? Save to drop box or dropbox syncing like a desktop would be awesome
    Probably. Have you tried looking in Synaptic (Type "sudo synaptic" in a command prompt and search for dropbox)? Box.net has a feature where you can mount your share to look like a local drive, I will investigate to see if Dropbox does as well...
    Zane,

Thanks for all your help. Wondering if you had a chance to look at enlightenment yet as a more tablet friendly desktop--have some friends who are having customers place orders with Touchpads and they need to be a tad easier to scroll than LXDE-XFCE (webOS brower doesn't render the pages properly so they are using Linux)
  17.    #437  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Zane,

Thanks for all your help. Wondering if you had a chance to look at enlightenment yet as a more tablet friendly desktop--have some friends who are having customers place orders with Touchpads and they need to be a tad easier to scroll than LXDE-XFCE (webOS brower doesn't render the pages properly so they are using Linux)
    I am working with enlightenment, but there are still some issues I would like to work out before going live with it. I am shooting for the end of the week though (perhaps with a bit of a disclaimer...)

In the mean time, have you tried the new version with the Netbook Launcher? It is still LXDE, but gives a nice dashboard to launch applications from.
    I am working with enlightenment, but there are still some issues I would like to work out before going live with it. I am shooting for the end of the week though (perhaps with a bit of a disclaimer...)

In the mean time, have you tried the new version with the Netbook Launcher? It is still LXDE, but gives a nice dashboard to launch applications from.
    End of the week would be perfect. As soon as I get some time, I will look at Netbook Launcher. I myself am perfectly happy running on xfce now with Shifty Axel's modifications as he detailed earlier in this thread and looks good for me but the friend's customers need the more tablet friendly pinch and zoom that it sounds like enlightenment might provide, if I understand correctly.
  19.    #439  
    Honestly, bluenote, I am not sure if enlightenment will do what you are hoping for. As far as I know, pinch and zoom is out because ubuntu does not do multitouch. Also, the window manager does not control that sort of thing, the application itself does. I think what you need is a finger friendly web browser. I am working on getting something better than chrome going but am having some troubles...
    Honestly, bluenote, I am not sure if enlightenment will do what you are hoping for. As far as I know, pinch and zoom is out because ubuntu does not do multitouch. Also, the window manager does not control that sort of thing, the application itself does. I think what you need is a finger friendly web browser. I am working on getting something better than chrome going but am having some troubles...
    Yes you are right. Its the pinch and zoom as the customers are having trouble reading the browser, they want a fast and intuitive way to make the items on the page more readable.