Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 111617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
Like Tree45Likes
    Cannot download config file:
    wget soc2.ucsc.edu/ubuntuconf.tar.gz

http:/ /soc2.ucsc.edu/ubuntuconf.tar.gz
    Connecting to soc2.ucsc.edu|128.114.130.84|:80... failed: connection time out
  2.    #402  
    Quote Originally Posted by vivanov View Post
    Cannot download config file:
    wget soc2.ucsc.edu/ubuntuconf.tar.gz

http:/ /soc2.ucsc.edu/ubuntuconf.tar.gz
    Connecting to soc2.ucsc.edu|128.114.130.84|:80... failed: connection time out
    I am really sorry about this guys! I have been out of town on work for a while and have not had the time or energy to keep up with this thread. I'm not back yet, so I still cant say for sure what happened the old server, but I just uploaded the file to a site that is maintained by godaddy, rather than sitting in my office. Thank you very much to those who posted their versions in the mean time.

The new file location is alloutofwine.com/ubuntuconf.tar.gz . This was also updated in the first post of the thread.

I still hope to have an updated version come out soon. I have no idea on the time frame though because of work.

Again, I'm really sorry about all this!
    Quote Originally Posted by zane9000 View Post
    I am really sorry about this guys! I have been out of town on work for a while and have not had the time or energy to keep up with this thread. I'm not back yet, so I still cant say for sure what happened the old server, but I just uploaded the file to a site that is maintained by godaddy, rather than sitting in my office. Thank you very much to those who posted their versions in the mean time.

The new file location is alloutofwine.com/ubuntuconf.tar.gz . This was also updated in the first post of the thread.

I still hope to have an updated version come out soon. I have no idea on the time frame though because of work.

Again, I'm really sorry about all this!
    Zane welcome back! Hope your work was productive. No worries on your absence, we knew you were off doing something worthwhile and several people stepped up.

Look forward to the new script when you have time.
    Hi.

I did the procedure and when it was finished, it put me into the GUI, and everything was wonderful. I exited out of Ubuntu, but when I opened it up again, I was taken to the root prompt, which is where I usually went when I executed Ubunto before I performed this.

As a preamble, I had Ubuntu on my Touchhpad, so it wasn't a "Clean Install", but it was close.

Before I did this, the way I started Ubuntu was to open Xecutah, then in Xecutah launched "Start Ubuntu 11.04 Chroot", which took me to a root prompt.

After I ran your code, is there something else I need to execute to get into the GUI?

Any help would be appreciated, and I thank you for all your efforts.

Gynotai
  5.    #405  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gynotai View Post
    Hi.

I did the procedure and when it was finished, it put me into the GUI, and everything was wonderful. I exited out of Ubuntu, but when I opened it up again, I was taken to the root prompt, which is where I usually went when I executed Ubunto before I performed this.

As a preamble, I had Ubuntu on my Touchhpad, so it wasn't a "Clean Install", but it was close.

Before I did this, the way I started Ubuntu was to open Xecutah, then in Xecutah launched "Start Ubuntu 11.04 Chroot", which took me to a root prompt.

After I ran your code, is there something else I need to execute to get into the GUI?

Any help would be appreciated, and I thank you for all your efforts.

Gynotai
    Can you post the last few lines of /root/.bashrc?

Also, what did you choose for a user name when the script asked?
    Sooooo......

Big time N00b here. i've finished getting meta-doctor, got the ext3fs set aside, got Xecutah/Xserver/Ubuntu 11.04 Chroot and followed the EXCELLENT guide here. Everything worked!!!

THEN... lol. I'm not sure what happened. Ubuntu loaded after following the instructions here but the keyboard was missing (I choose florence) So I thought that doing a restart would solve that problem. I did the restart and now am not sure how to get back into Ubuntu.

I have opned Xserver, then opened Xecutah, then started Ubuntu through the Xecutah. I get CHROOT prompt window. last line says

+ chroot /media/ext3fs/ubuntu-natty-chroot /bin/bash

HUGE thanks the the work that has went into this. Please let me know if i can resolve this somehow!
  7.    #407  
    Quote Originally Posted by zloetakoe View Post
    Sooooo......

Big time N00b here. i've finished getting meta-doctor, got the ext3fs set aside, got Xecutah/Xserver/Ubuntu 11.04 Chroot and followed the EXCELLENT guide here. Everything worked!!!

THEN... lol. I'm not sure what happened. Ubuntu loaded after following the instructions here but the keyboard was missing (I choose florence) So I thought that doing a restart would solve that problem. I did the restart and now am not sure how to get back into Ubuntu.

I have opned Xserver, then opened Xecutah, then started Ubuntu through the Xecutah. I get CHROOT prompt window. last line says

HUGE thanks the the work that has went into this. Please let me know if i can resolve this somehow!

Just a guess here, but it sounds to me like your ext3fs partition is not properly mounting. Open Xecutah and then click on Xterm and try the following:
    Code:
    cat /etc/fstab
    Post the last few lines of what shows up there.

Also try:
    Code:
    cd /media/ext3fs
    ls
    You should see a folder called ubuntu-natty-chroot. If you do type:
    Code:
    cd ubuntu-natty-chroot
    ls
    You should see a bunch of files listed. You don't need to tell us what is in there, just make sure there is something so we can know the partition is mounted correctly.
  8. pml
    For everyone who feels, that XFCE and LXDE are not the best solutions for a tablet interface:
    I started a new thread for discussing and developing our options:
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...an-chroot.html

To the OP: thanks a lot for the autoconfiguration script! Is was a real time-saver!
    Just a guess here, but it sounds to me like your ext3fs partition is not properly mounting. Open Xecutah and then click on Xterm and try the following:
    Code:
    cat /etc/fstab
    Post the last few lines of what shows up there.

Also try:
    Code:
    cd /media/ext3fs
    ls
    You should see a folder called ubuntu-natty-chroot. If you do type:
    Code:
    cd ubuntu-natty-chroot
    ls
    You should see a bunch of files listed. You don't need to tell us what is in there, just make sure there is something so we can know the partition is mounted correctly.
    After doing a lot of reading I figured out that Xserver is no longer contained in Xecutah. I also saw somewhere that I had to/could use the command "startxfce4" (unquoted of course) after getting to the prompt terminal when using Xecutah. That solved the problem.

Zane, I can still do the stuff you suggested but I think it's working fine now, unless that is I shouldn't need to use the command startxfce4 each time.

(Awwww what the heck, I'll do it anyway in hopes that this could help someone.)
    ======================
    cat /etc/fstab

/dev/mapper/store-media /media/internal vfat utf8,shortname=mixed,umask=0000 0 0
    /dev/mapper/store-ext3fs ext3 noatime,data=writeback 0 0

cd /media/ext3fs
    ls

lost+found ubuntu-natty-chroot

cd ubuntu-natty-chroot
    ls

bin etc
    boot home
    dev lib

tons of other fines were there. So yes the files were there and I assume it means it's properly mounting?
    =============================

If that is necessary each time (to use "startxfce4"), it might be helpful to include that somewhere in the instructions for noobs like me! Thanks again, the "easy autoconf" was extremely helpful and has been an informative process in getting Ubuntu up and running. Also, I love having a way to download from secure sites now which is why I was interested in Ubuntu in the first place (still can't believe the touchpad was released with that glaring deficiency).

Again, huge thank you.
    Last edited by zloetakoe; 12/01/2011 at 10:29 AM.
  10.    #410  
    If that is necessary each time (to use "startxfce4")...
    That should not be needed. Can you post the last few lines of /root/.bashrc?

You can view this in a terminal by typing:

Code:
    cat /root/.bashrc
    Thanks!
  11.    #411  
    New version of the script is finally up. Nothing too exciting. There is an option for using "Netbook Launcher" instead of the regular window manager (It is actually netbook-launcher-efl running on top of LXDE).
    In addition, I fixed some bugs in the script.

I hope to start incorporating some of the suggestions that came up in the last few months next...
    That should not be needed. Can you post the last few lines of /root/.bashrc?

You can view this in a terminal by typing:

Code:
    cat /root/.bashrc
    Thanks!
    I get message
    cat: can't open 'root/.bashrc': no such file or directory
  13.    #413  
    I get message
    cat: can't open 'root/.bashrc': no such file or directory
    Did you include the leading slash? /root/.bashrc not root/.bashrc
    Did you include the leading slash? /root/.bashrc not root/.bashrc
    sorry, no file found for

cat /root/.bashrc
  15.    #415  
    Well, that would explain why you are having a problem. That is the file that tells Ubuntu what to autostart. Here is a copy of that file that will automount the usb partition and autostart xfce4. Just rename it as .bashrc and put it in the /root/ directory.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Well, that would explain why you are having a problem. That is the file that tells Ubuntu what to autostart. Here is a copy of that file that will automount the usb partition and autostart xfce4. Just rename it as .bashrc and put it in the /root/ directory.
    Downloaded the file, put it in /root and renamed it .bashrc still not loading correctly.

I get the following now:

bash:!DOCTYPE: No such file or directory
    bash: html: No such file or directory
    bash: /root/.bashrc: line 3: syntax error near unexpected token 'newline'
    bash: /root/.bashrc: line 3: '<head>'
    root@HPTouchPad:/# (BTW shouldn't that have the name I assigned it?)
    Last edited by zloetakoe; 12/02/2011 at 12:25 PM.
  17.    #417  
    Downloaded the file, put it in /root and renamed it .bashrc still not loading correctly.

I get the following now:

bash:!DOCTYPE: No such file or directory
    bash: html: No such file or directory
    bash: /root/.bashrc: line 3: syntax error near unexpected token 'newline'
    bash: /root/.bashrc: line 3: '<head>'
    root@HPTouchPad:/# (BTW shouldn't that have the name I assigned it?)
    This means the file did not download correctly. If you open the file it should have a first line that starts with # ~/.bashrc:

Try downloading it again, I just tested it and it works fine. Also, I forgot to tell you that you need to change the two instances of the name "warren" on the last line of the file to match the user name you chose.
    zane, nice. Anyway to know what my user name is, in other words, what am I supposed to change it from "warren" to? In other words I don't know if my user name i'm supposed to be using is. (see above) Right now it's simply saying

Root@HPTouchPad:/#

Shouldn't it say:
    Root@(my user name I set up here and shouldn't this say warren if that was the name I gave when I configured ubuntu?):/#
  19.    #419  
    You replace "warren" with the name you assigned when you ran the script. This needs to be exact, if you need help remembering what you typed use the command
    Code:
    ls /home/
    This will list all of the users that have home directories set up, one of them should be what you type in the beginning of the configuration script.

Once this is done, restart Ubuntu and the prompt should be:
    USERNAME@HPTouchPad:/#

HPTouchPad is the machine name and will not change.
    You replace "warren" with the name you assigned when you ran the script. This needs to be exact, if you need help remembering what you typed use the command
    Code:
    ls /home/
    This will list all of the users that have home directories set up, one of them should be what you type in the beginning of the configuration script.

Once this is done, restart Ubuntu and the prompt should be:
    USERNAME@HPTouchPad:/#

HPTouchPad is the machine name and will not change.
    I used the command "ls /home/"

it gives me "Der*** webos". The Der*** part I gave to the device. I did not assign "webos" as part of the user name (maybe that always shows up???). So do I change the .bashrc file from "warren" to Der*** webos or just Der***?

Also, I used command "cat /root/.bashrc" again just for fun and here are the last 4 lines

umount /media/internal
    mount /media/internal
    su - HPTouchPad -c "dbus-launch startxfce4" 2> /home/HPTouchPad/.startlxde.err
    root@HPTouchPad:/#

So I went in and changed "warren" to "Der***" and when I start ubuntu from xecutah I now get a few command prompts then this
    bash: $'\r': command not found
    : invalid shell option name
    : invalid shell option name
    bash: /root/.bashrc: line 32: syntax error near unexpected token `$' in\r' '
    'ash: /root/.bashrc: line 32: `case "$TERM" in
    root@HPTouchPad:/#

Last edited by zloetakoe; 12/03/2011 at 08:20 PM. Reason: STill trying to figure out the correct terminology.