Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 529
Like Tree45Likes
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by mkln View Post
    I am no better than you on linux so my solution for this is probably suboptimal.

    Install xournal

    "apt-get install xournal" on terminal

    Then use it to open downloaded pdfs.

    This works much better than the adobe reader on webos!
    Yeah, thanks... I doubt that your no better than me (self esteem issues..sigh).
    I am assuming that your terminal command is to be implemented in an installed linux environment like the one that is the subject of this thread not in a regular terminal app for webos. If so, is it worth the effort to metadoctor? I usually read magazines in .pdf format. The adobe reader just kills text when zoomed in.
    The combination of the hard work that these devs are putting into making for a foolproof and easy to use install and my frustration at not being able to read my favourite periodicals is conspiring to make me chance this undertaking.
    I am easily confused however. The monkey army has furnished me with a doctor that will create a 2gb partition. I have space to spare as I have a 32gb TP. I understand that I can modify the doctor before first use by editing some lines. Which ones? Is it necessary? I understand that there is a way to access my .pdfs from a common partition but that there can be issues if I don't unmount this partition before closing out my linux session.
    Are these easy things to overcome? Will this process become even more ***** proof? Should I wait it out?
    Do I ask too many question? If so.....nevrmind...carry on
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by mkln View Post
    I am no better than you on linux so my solution for this is probably suboptimal.

    Install xournal

    "apt-get install xournal" on terminal

    Then use it to open downloaded pdfs.

    This works much better than the adobe reader on webos!
    I had completely forgotten to include xournal. I just updated the script to auto install it. Thanks!
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by zane9000 View Post
    I had completely forgotten to include xournal. I just updated the script to auto install it. Thanks!
    OMG are you fast!!! Sooooo tempted....Wife will kill me if I brick tab....but she's out of the house and it's just sitting there taunting me with it's inability to properly scale .pdfs.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by zane9000 View Post
    I had completely forgotten to include xournal. I just updated the script to auto install it. Thanks!
    any way to check the partition list with partition size?

    I'm worried because if I have 2 gb unallocated and metadoctor didn't use them then I don't know how to get them back!
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by crutzulee View Post
    Yeah, thanks... I doubt that your no better than me (self esteem issues..sigh).
    I am assuming that your terminal command is to be implemented in an installed linux environment like the one that is the subject of this thread not in a regular terminal app for webos. If so, is it worth the effort to metadoctor? I usually read magazines in .pdf format. The adobe reader just kills text when zoomed in.
    The combination of the hard work that these devs are putting into making for a foolproof and easy to use install and my frustration at not being able to read my favourite periodicals is conspiring to make me chance this undertaking.
    I am easily confused however. The monkey army has furnished me with a doctor that will create a 2gb partition. I have space to spare as I have a 32gb TP. I understand that I can modify the doctor before first use by editing some lines. Which ones? Is it necessary? I understand that there is a way to access my .pdfs from a common partition but that there can be issues if I don't unmount this partition before closing out my linux session.
    Are these easy things to overcome? Will this process become even more ***** proof? Should I wait it out?
    Do I ask too many question? If so.....nevrmind...carry on

    Yes, the commands he mentioned would need to be used on the Ubuntu side of things. However, they are now included in my script so xournal will be auto installed.
    The script should give an option to mount the /media/internal partition (what shows up as the USB drive when you plug the Touchpad into a computer). This will give you a common area to share PDF's. There is a danger if you dont unmount it before you try to wipe the /media/ext3fs partition if you are going to do a clean Ubuntu install, but I doubt there is much danger if you don't unmount before closing your linux card.
    I will continue to improve things to make it as easy as possible. Maybe making this an app so you can do it through webOS Quick Install.

    I may be way off base here, but can you convert your magazines into a format the kindle app likes? That way you can have something on the webOS side. Although I have no idea how well it works, so you might want to ignore that suggestion.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by mkln View Post
    any way to check the partition list with partition size?

    I'm worried because if I have 2 gb unallocated and metadoctor didn't use them then I don't know how to get them back!

    You can try:
    Code:
    df | more
    There is a lot going on there, but you might find your answer...
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by zane9000 View Post
    Yes, the commands he mentioned would need to be used on the Ubuntu side of things. However, they are now included in my script so xournal will be auto installed.
    The script should give an option to mount the /media/internal partition (what shows up as the USB drive when you plug the Touchpad into a computer). This will give you a common area to share PDF's. There is a danger if you dont unmount it before you try to wipe the /media/ext3fs partition if you are going to do a clean Ubuntu install, but I doubt there is much danger if you don't unmount before closing your linux card.
    I will continue to improve things to make it as easy as possible. Maybe making this an app so you can do it through webOS Quick Install.

    I may be way off base here, but can you convert your magazines into a format the kindle app likes? That way you can have something on the webOS side. Although I have no idea how well it works, so you might want to ignore that suggestion.
    As a complete newb, forgive me if this sounds way out there but is your end goal to have an instalable app (via preware or WOSQI) that automatically loads a gui based linux environment with preinstalled apps (office suite and .pdf reader) all in a card. Am I correct in understanding that one does not need to allocate more than 2gb to this environment because all app data or media can be stored in a shared file between webos and linux?
    I would totally pay for such an app if the .pdf program was half decent! Can you sell such an app in the catalogue if it's linux based. Can you take donations? How close are you to making it this easy?
    Of course if I am oversimplifying things, well then.....nevermind.
  8. Mize's Avatar
    Posts
    929 Posts
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaerey View Post
    nuked my install to try this and it worked great.
    What's the best (fastest) way to nuke my current install?
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
  9. #29  
    FYI, Synaptic seems to ask for a password when running it, and the password I had set for my user didn't work, it seemed to want the root password.

    I just did sudo synaptic from the terminal and that made it work fine. And yeah, I had no problem fitting this on my clean 2GB install.
  10. #30  
    Also, I wonder if there's any possible way to not show that terminal window after boot?
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by zane9000 View Post
    You can try:
    Code:
    df | more
    There is a lot going on there, but you might find your answer...
    Ok I've run this and I get the following (reduced version of what I really get, but it should be the meaningful part):

    Code:
    /dev/mapper/store-media 26756672 [the 25.5gb partition I see on windows, checked, exact numbers]
    /dev/mapper/store-ext3fs 2064208 [the 2gb partition ubuntu is installed in]
    ------------------------------
    28820880: >28 gb from "known" sources
    
    /dev/mapper/store-root 572468 
    /dev/mapper/store-var 63472 
    /dev/root 31728
    /dev/mapper/store-log 23792 
    /dev/mapper/store-cryptodb 245728
    /dev/mapper/store-cryptofilecache 130528 
    ------------------------------
    1067716: 1gb of "unknown" sources.

    So what I am wondering is: is it "normal" to have that 1gb there?
    Becuase I thought I remembered that my TP showed almost 30GB total memory when attached through USB on my PC.
    Is what I see here what I should expect for my TP to show when having a 2gb ubuntu partition?

    Thanks guys
  12. #32  
    OK, I'm home sick with the flu and am now hopped up on a combination of homeopathics (wife), real meds and, well alchohol (medicinal,hick..). So of course, I now have some Dutch courage (are the Dutch really big drinkers?).. anyhow I think I am now in the right state of mind to try this!
    Quick question(s)...
    I have the doctor from Army of Monkeys...can I modify this to make a partition larger than 2gb or does that need to be done when the doctor is being cooked up?
    If I use this doctor, will I receive future OTA updates to Webos or will I have to manually create doctors each time webos is updated (if in fact we will receive more updates)?
    My TP is charging up right now and I will dive in before my buzz wears off, I mean, ahem... when it reaches 100%. wish me luck!
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by crutzulee View Post
    As a complete newb, forgive me if this sounds way out there but is your end goal to have an instalable app (via preware or WOSQI) that automatically loads a gui based linux environment with preinstalled apps (office suite and .pdf reader) all in a card. Am I correct in understanding that one does not need to allocate more than 2gb to this environment because all app data or media can be stored in a shared file between webos and linux?
    I would totally pay for such an app if the .pdf program was half decent! Can you sell such an app in the catalogue if it's linux based. Can you take donations? How close are you to making it this easy?
    Of course if I am oversimplifying things, well then.....nevermind.
    Because there seems to be interest in this I am going to try to make an app that you can download from Preware/WOSQI. The app will have a number of configuration options that will be more friendly/customizable than the current script. There will be options for different window managers, and more control over what gets installed. I seriously doubt I will ever take it to the point where it replaces the current procedure for creating a partition and installing Ubuntu. That is something that the webOS Internals folks seem to be handling quite nicely.

    As for your monetary questions, I have no real desire to try and figure out a way to sell such an app. There have been too many people contributing free work to even make this possible, this is just my way of trying to give something back.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Also, I wonder if there's any possible way to not show that terminal window after boot?
    Yes! Newest version of the script now does this by default. If you want to add that function to your existing setup rename the attached file to get rid of the .txt extension and put it in your /home/<USERNAME>/.config/autostart directory. It will move the terminal window to desktop #2.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by zane9000; 09/01/2011 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Corrected myself and the file
  15. #35  
    OK, I fell asleep waiting for my touchpad to charge up. She's at 100% but I'm a little more sober now and I'm reading about people having trouble getting rid of this newly created partition if they want to return to stock. This makes my question about future Webos OTA updates more important.
    I don't mind committing 2GB or more to a linux partition permanantly but I would think twice about making future webos updates more difficult.
  16.    #36  
    crutzulee, don't mistake me for an authority on the matter, but I cant see how this could impede an OTA update. Those updates only affect the webOS file system. This will be isolated and, I believe, effectively invisible to webOS.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by crutzulee View Post
    OK, I fell asleep waiting for my touchpad to charge up. She's at 100% but I'm a little more sober now and I'm reading about people having trouble getting rid of this newly created partition if they want to return to stock. This makes my question about future Webos OTA updates more important.
    I don't mind committing 2GB or more to a linux partition permanantly but I would think twice about making future webos updates more difficult.
    If your touchpad attached to your pc shows about 27.5 gb of total space without ubuntu installed then I think it's not hard to delete the partition with doctor.
    If you see more than that, then it means that I must have done something wrong, or that something else happened.
    I am waiting for more info so that I know if I should doctor my TP again.
  18. #38  
    mkln, my touchpad shows a total of 27.6gb at this time. I have not attempted anything yet.
    Zane9000, to my understanding, a doctor restores a webos device to a clean install of a certain version of the OS. I am assuming that the monkey's doctor is based off of the latest 3.0.2.68 revision.
    Can anyone who has installed this doctor confirm that this is the revison number showing under thier device info. If different, can this possibly cause a conflict when the device searches for OTA updates?
  19.    #39  
    Yep, it is the same build number after the meta-doctor.
  20. #40  
    Do you happen to know if there is a section of the doctor I have that can be modified to create a larger than 2 gb partition?
    Also, when you push the pad to search for updates, does it seem to actually search before it tells you that you are up to date?
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions