Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
Like Tree45Likes
    I don't see the real need for a cursor on a touchscreen device, especially with WebOS' tap ripple.
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
    I don't see the real need for a cursor on a touchscreen device, especially with WebOS' tap ripple.
    Tapping is so inexact. It takes much longer to do many things than it would with a mouse, for example, at least for my fingers. It would be great if Onboard had arrow keys (maybe it does and I have not ofund them yet).
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by Len111 View Post
    Yeah I can start xterm. But how do I go from xterm to Ubuntu Chroot? If I go back to xecutah and select "Start Ubuntu 11.04 Chroot", nothing happens. The install of Ubuntu Chroot on the Touchpad seemed to go OK.
    Is there any way to troubleshoot whether the problem is with xecutah or with the Ubuntu Chroot install?
    My problem is now fixed. If you would like more details please see the thread "Xserver in Xecutah" in the "HP TouchPad tips, information and resources" section of this forum. Sorry I still can't post links.
    Hello all,
    This is my first post on the forum, and thank you to everyone that helped in this thread as it made installing Ubuntu on my touchpad a complete breeze. Now that i have it installed with libreoffice, i was wondering if anyone would like to add in their favorite apps that they've installed and got working. I noticed a game i like "bzflag" would not run, it installed ok, but fails to run when launched.

So i was hoping to have people compile a list of programs that will work on the touchpad since it has an ARM processor and not an i386.

For me VLC media player works great but for the video to run smoothly (i'm watching mp4 files) the window has to be half screen or less otherwise the video is choppy.
    Also gimp installed and works reasonably fast assuming you are editing JPG images and not RAW.

What have you all got running?
    Just used synaptic to install firefox. I still don't have flash working - I wonder if I have to add adobe as a repository to install it with apt-get. I tried downloading it and extracting the files, but no result. Gnash does not seem to plug in to Firefox. I was happy to be able to have Ixquick (a secure anonymous search engine) as my search rather than google. Other alpahabets load seamlessly. I installed Better Privacy, now I'm trying to find out how to uninstall, as it's very intrusive. Found the arrow keys in Onboard, very useful. So much fun, so little time...
    Shneor
  6. pml
    Just used synaptic to install firefox. I still don't have flash working - I wonder if I have to add adobe as a repository to install it with apt-get. I tried downloading it and extracting the files, but no result. Gnash does not seem to plug in to Firefox. I was happy to be able to have Ixquick (a secure anonymous search engine) as my search rather than google. Other alpahabets load seamlessly. I installed Better Privacy, now I'm trying to find out how to uninstall, as it's very intrusive. Found the arrow keys in Onboard, very useful. So much fun, so little time...
    also @LinuxNewbie:
    As you should see in Synaptic package manager, the software list for the ARM arch of Ubuntu is still very large. Basically all main software which is open source is available for x86 and ARM.

With proprietary software which is distributed in binary form, like Flash or Java, things look diffrent, as they usually only get compiled for x86 architecture. In this case there are only the open source clones available.
    A search in synaptic for flash or java should return the altrrnatives and their browser plugins.
    But unfortunately the clones are usually problematic regarding compatibility...
    @pml
    In synaptic, is there a way to show only ARM based software because BZflag was listed in synaptic but it doesn't work. I would love a way to filter the results so i don't waste time downloading software that won't run.
    Quote Originally Posted by pml View Post
    also @LinuxNewbie:
    As you should see in Synaptic package manager, the software list for the ARM arch of Ubuntu is still very large. Basically all main software which is open source is available for x86 and ARM.

With proprietary software which is distributed in binary form, like Flash or Java, things look diffrent, as they usually only get compiled for x86 architecture. In this case there are only the open source clones available.
    A search in synaptic for flash or java should return the altrrnatives and their browser plugins.
    But unfortunately the clones are usually problematic regarding compatibility...
    I could not find flash in synaptic. I believe I do have runtime Java installed, and
    Firefox does show a gnash plugin (or call to gnash, maybe).
    Shneor
    STEP 2:
    Code:
    wget soc2.ucsc.edu/ubuntuconf.tar.gz
    This will download my configuration files to your current directory and can (should) be deleted after everything is done.

STEP 3:
    Code:
    tar xzfv ubuntuconf.tar.gz
    This will unpack the compressed file into a folder called ubuntuconf. This folder also can (should) be deleted when everything is done.

great guide!!! May I know how to delete the folder and files after the installation?

Thanks!
    I am very new to this, I carefully went through each step and installed ubuntu, after it finished installing, a window popped up LXTerminal, the tab says configuring tzdata and it is asking me to choose my geographical location.

Now for the stupid question, how do I choose my geographic location? I highlighted America but can't seem to double click on it or double click ok.

Please help?
    Terminal menus like that don't read the mouse position, you need a working keyboard with arrow keys in order to choose. I suggest either using one of the ones that come with the auto configuration, or opening a terminal and running 'sudo apt-get install matchbox-keyboard && matchbox-keyboard'- this will install and run matchbox-keyboard, which is a no-configuration-needed virtual keyboard that I've personally found to be very stable under XFCE. It has arrow keys, so you can continue from there.
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
    Terminal menus like that don't read the mouse position, you need a working keyboard with arrow keys in order to choose. I suggest either using one of the ones that come with the auto configuration, or opening a terminal and running 'sudo apt-get install matchbox-keyboard && matchbox-keyboard'- this will install and run matchbox-keyboard, which is a no-configuration-needed virtual keyboard that I've personally found to be very stable under XFCE. It has arrow keys, so you can continue from there.
    Ok I brought up the terminal, there isnt a keyboard to type the 'sudo apt-get install matchbox-keyboard && matchbox-keyboard' to get the matchbox-keyboard?
    Quote Originally Posted by aschroeder8907 View Post
    Ok I brought up the terminal, there isnt a keyboard to type the 'sudo apt-get install matchbox-keyboard && matchbox-keyboard' to get the matchbox-keyboard?
    If you don't have Tweaks (from Preware) installed, install it now. The last entry has 3 linux settings. Tap the number 3, and on the upper right you will see the keyboard entry. Pick the size you like (xs will let you see all of the usable sereen), then bring up xecutah-xterm and ubuntu. Type your commands in the teminal. Once the matchbox keyboard is installed, minimize the screen, go back to tweaks and turn the touchpad virtual keyboard off, then go back to ubuntu.
    Shneor
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Has anyone tried installing Ubuntu (with its own partitioned space) and Android with WebOS? If so, were there any problems/conflicts, or does it work nicely?
  15. pml
    Dear fellow Ubuntu users,

It would be awesome if anyone of you could tell me, if the webOS 3.0.4 upgrade interferes with the Ubuntu partition. Does it disturb the upgrade? Will I have to meta-doctor my TP again? Will the Ubuntu file system be affected in any way?

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Originally Posted by pml View Post
    Dear fellow Ubuntu users,

It would be awesome if anyone of you could tell me, if the webOS 3.0.4 upgrade interferes with the Ubuntu partition. Does it disturb the upgrade? Will I have to meta-doctor my TP again? Will the Ubuntu file system be affected in any way?

Thanks in advance!
    It does not for me which is consistent with the fact that the earlier webOS doctors do not disturb the ubuntu partition.
    Worked fine for me, no issues to speak of
  18. pml
    Worked fine for me, no issues to speak of
    Thanks, I'll give it a try then.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna80 View Post
    Has anyone tried installing Ubuntu (with its own partitioned space) and Android? If so, were there any problems/conflicts, or does it work nicely?
    No-one tried using both on the HP Touchpad? :\
    The virtual keyboard won't go away. I've installed tweaks and set it to off and nothing happens. Tweaks also won't change the size of the keyboard. What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by smblion View Post
    This worked great for me, with one problem apparent right away.. The webos virtual keyboard appeared midway thru the script, and LXDE is configured to operate at a resolution of 1024x525 and wont accept any changes, apparently. But I've got no intention of using the virtual keyboard, I installed with the onboard kb option and have a bluetooth keyboard, so would like LXDE to use the full screen.

Solved with tweaks downloaded from preware. I should have browsed this thread first

Also, is there support for screen rotation yet? I imagine there must be but I dont know what to search for or install

Update: I found how to create commands to manually adjust orientation, still looking for a way to make linux recognize the built in function however.

Anyone have some advice for me?