Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126 ... LastLast
Like Tree45Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by trooper1414 View Post
    yeah i did use an image file...each time i need to remount it ??
    You should not have to remount it every time, manually, it should be in your fstab (the file in /etc that contains the mount commands). If you followed the install directions, there's an instruction that adds the mount of ubuntu to that file.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    only needs remounting on hard resets or bad lockups, add to your fstab as mentioned, personally I'd only do it when everything works perfectly.
    There's definitely something lacking in this autoconfiguration. Yesterday, everything worked fine. Today, I can't boot into ubuntu - it's telling me that filesystems are missing and cannot be mounted.I checked fstab using internalz, everything looks good, the ubuntu mount command is in place.
    Second edit: I need to manually mount ubuntu, then I can boot it up. But here's the problem: If I leave the virtual keyboard on, which I need to mount ubuntu, I have very limited space on the screen. If I leave it off, I can't mount ubintu. The mount command is already in fstab, and I don't know where else it ought to go. I'd certainly appreciate some help.
    And BTW, if anyone needs root, just type sudo passwd root and enter a new password.
    Thx,
    Shneor
    Last edited by shneor; 10/07/2011 at 01:58 PM.
    Shneor
  4. pml
    I had some troubles with the script being stopped by the tzconfig dialogue in a terminal window, which could not be answered, as the keyboard wasn't available at this point.
    I could workaround this in a separate Xterm after reboot with manually entering chroot and installing florence by hand.

Now the problem is, that the easystroke command for invoking the on-screen keyboard (florence, residing in the tray) is missing.
    Could anyone please post it here?

Second question: Can the keyboard be invoked, when I'm in a fullscreen VNC session? I use remmina as client because of the integrated SSH tunneling.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your work on Ubuntu chroot!!
  5.    #305  
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor View Post
    There's definitely something lacking in this autoconfiguration. Yesterday, everything worked fine. Today, I can't boot into ubuntu - it's telling me that filesystems are missing and cannot be mounted.I checked fstab using internalz, everything looks good, the ubuntu mount command is in place.
    Second edit: I need to manually mount ubuntu, then I can boot it up. But here's the problem: If I leave the virtual keyboard on, which I need to mount ubuntu, I have very limited space on the screen. If I leave it off, I can't mount ubintu. The mount command is already in fstab, and I don't know where else it ought to go. I'd certainly appreciate some help.
    And BTW, if anyone needs root, just type sudo passwd root and enter a new password.
    Thx,
    Shneor
    I am not sure about mounting image files, but the autoconfiguration does not do anything with that. All it does is effect how Ubuntu behaves once it is started.
    Quote Originally Posted by zane9000 View Post
    I am not sure about mounting image files, but the autoconfiguration does not do anything with that. All it does is effect how Ubuntu behaves once it is started.
    Zane, thanks for your response. It's odd, because the mount instruction is in webos' fstab. It worked before I used your autoconfig file. I do a nightly device reset (using preset reset), and I wonder if that has anything to do with the need to manually remount ubuntu. Not that anything I can think of makes sense to me.

The Onboard ksyboard I'm sure was a lot of tedious work. The two mouse buttons are <right click> and <center click>. It might be obvious to some, but what's the <left click>? I'm thinking of getting a bluetooth mouse to use with the TP. would you know if ubuntu on the TP will take it?
    Thx,
    Shneor
    Shneor
  7.    #307  
    Quote Originally Posted by pml View Post
    I had some troubles with the script being stopped by the tzconfig dialogue in a terminal window, which could not be answered, as the keyboard wasn't available at this point.
    I could workaround this in a separate Xterm after reboot with manually entering chroot and installing florence by hand.

Now the problem is, that the easystroke command for invoking the on-screen keyboard (florence, residing in the tray) is missing.
    Could anyone please post it here?

Second question: Can the keyboard be invoked, when I'm in a fullscreen VNC session? I use remmina as client because of the integrated SSH tunneling.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your work on Ubuntu chroot!!
    If you hit the tzconfig, everything is installed, including either Florence or Onboard. The way the script is written, if you enter anything other than "f" when it asks what keyboard you want, Onboard is installed. However, if you did not install Easystroke, it looks like there is no way to start Onboard. In the next version I will include a launch icon for it so you don't need Easystroke.

If you need to reinstall the Easystroke gestures open a terminal in Ubuntu and type the following commands
    Code:
    cd /ubuntuconf
    cp actions-0.4.1.onboard /home/$username/.easystroke/actions-0.4.1
    I am not sure about your second question, I have not had much experience with VNC.
    This worked great for me, with one problem apparent right away.. The webos virtual keyboard appeared midway thru the script, and LXDE is configured to operate at a resolution of 1024x525 and wont accept any changes, apparently. But I've got no intention of using the virtual keyboard, I installed with the onboard kb option and have a bluetooth keyboard, so would like LXDE to use the full screen.

Solved with tweaks downloaded from preware. I should have browsed this thread first

Also, is there support for screen rotation yet? I imagine there must be but I dont know what to search for or install

Update: I found how to create commands to manually adjust orientation, still looking for a way to make linux recognize the built in function however.

Anyone have some advice for me?
    Last edited by smblion; 10/08/2011 at 06:01 PM.
  9.    #309  
    Quote Originally Posted by smblion View Post

Also, is there support for screen rotation yet? I imagine there must be but I dont know what to search for or install

Update: I found how to create commands to manually adjust orientation, still looking for a way to make linux recognize the built in function however.

Anyone have some advice for me?
    Ubuntu takes whatever orientation Xecutah is in during launch.
    I saw that, but am hoping for an app that'll support auto-rotation while it's open. It isn't a big deal tho, as features go.
    my audio is really low so i cant hear it. any1 kno how to fix this? theree are ttoo many settingss in volume!

edit- I've messed with the settings too much and I'd like to start over. How do I get back to the root terminal so I can run the script again
    Last edited by an4them; 10/10/2011 at 11:11 AM.
    Hello all. I installed Ubuntu and executed the EZ-Autoconfig script successfully. All seems ok except Chrome will not run YouTube videos. It doesn't show an error (such as invalid config or missing plugin) but just a blank window. I've verified the plugin is installed by doing a aboutlugins (shockwave flash is enabled). Not sure if this question has been asked before here or if that's a known limitation of this Touchpad-Ubuntu install.

BTW, kudos to you gentlemen for making this possible. Thanks
    I've found a couple of tweaks that make ubuntu more tablet-friendly.
    Note that I'm using XFCE and the WebOS keyboard, most of these tweaks should work just fine on LXDE or any other WM. The more XFCE-specific ones will probably have to be reinterpreted for other WMs.
    First up is hiding the cursor:
    1. Download the blank cursor theme from here:
    http://matchbox-project.org/sources/...e-0.1.1.tar.gz
    2.Extract the archive
    3.Open a terminal window
    4.If make is not installed, install it:
    sudo apt-get install make
    5.cd into the folder extracted from the archive and enter the following commands:
    ./configure
    cd cursors
    make install-data-local DESTDIR=/home/<your username>/.icons/default CURSOR_DIR=/cursors
    chown -R <your username>:<your username> /home/<your username>/.icons
    6.Close the Ubuntu card, reopen it and voila, no cursor.

Bigger scrollbars:
    1.Open up leafpad (text editor) and enter the following:
    style "tablet"
    {
    GtkRange::slider-width = 32
    GtkRange::stepper-size = 32
    }

class "*" style "tablet"
    2.Save it as .gtkrc-2.0 in your home directory
    3.Close and reopen the card, now most applications will have big, finger-friendly scrollbars (doesn't effect chromium, but chrometouch is better than scrollbars anyway)

Pseudo-Unity UI
    Unity is Ubuntu's new hardware-accelerated tablet-friendly interface (YouTube it if you want to see it.) Sadly it requires access to glx, which we don't have in our current chroot environment. I've managed to configure xfce to act in a similar manner whilst remaining resource-light.

1.Long-hold on the top panel and go to Panel > Panel Preferences
    2.Remove the bottom panel (Panel 2)
    3.Set Panel 1's orientation to vertical
    4.Set it's size in pixels to 48
    5.Go to the items tab, i recommend the following layout:
    Applications Menu (Untick Show Button Title in preferences)
    Show Desktop
    Separator
    Window Buttons (Prefs: Untick Show Button Labels, Untick Show Handle)
    Separator
    Launcher (Name: Volume, Command: gamix &)
    Notification Area
    Clock
    6.Setup any shortcuts/launchers you want on the desktop
    7.Open a Terminal, sudo apt-get install devilspie
    8.touch ~/.devilspie
    9.Open leafpad and enter the following:
    (begin
    (maximize)
    (undecorate)
    )

10.Save it as ~/.devilspie/fullscreen.ds
    11.Go to XFCE Menu > Settings > Session and Startup
    12.Go to the Application Autostart tab
    13.Add a new item, Name: Fullscreen Applications, Command: devilspie
    14.Close and reopen the ubuntu card.

Other tweaks
    Go into XFCE Menu > Settings > Window Manager Tweaks > Compositor and enable display compositing, I found it to increase UI responsiveness, with the added bonus of a few graphical extras such as window shadows.

Go into XFCE Menu > Settings > Session and Startup > Splash and choose Mice, this will give you a splash screen as the chroot starts up instead of a fugly terminal.

Go into XFCE Menu > Settings > Window Manager > Keyboard and clear any shortcuts involving tab. This will allow you to use tab in the terminal.
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
    PalmLives likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by an4them View Post
    my audio is really low so i cant hear it. any1 kno how to fix this? theree are ttoo many settingss in volume!

edit- I've messed with the settings too much and I'd like to start over. How do I get back to the root terminal so I can run the script again
    You should be able to control the volume via the audio icon in your dock area. Alternately open a terminal and execute 'gamix &'

To rerun the script, you should be fine to run it using sudo.
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
    Can anyone help me? I am trying to install ubuntu on my touchpad but am having a problem that seems to be with xecutah. I followed all the steps at the UbuntuChroot wiki (sorry I haven't made enough posts here to insert a link) and that led me here. Everything seems to go OK up to when I have to use xecutah to open an xserver (prior to starting the ubuntuchroot). xecutah simply gives me no option to start an xserver (see attached pic to see what I get when I open xecutah). If I can't open an xserver, then I can't start UbuntuChroot. I have installed xserver and can see the icon in applications. If I try to start it from the icon, it gives me a message saying I have to start it from xecutah. But it's just not there in xecutah. Does anyone have a clue how to remedy this? I can start an xterm from xecutah but I have no idea how to get from there to the UbuntuChroot (or even if you can do it from there).

i53.tinypic.com/34hfdap.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Len111 View Post
    Can anyone help me? I am trying to install ubuntu on my touchpad but am having a problem that seems to be with xecutah. I followed all the steps at the UbuntuChroot wiki (sorry I haven't made enough posts here to insert a link) and that led me here. Everything seems to go OK up to when I have to use xecutah to open an xserver (prior to starting the ubuntuchroot). xecutah simply gives me no option to start an xserver (see attached pic to see what I get when I open xecutah). If I can't open an xserver, then I can't start UbuntuChroot. I have installed xserver and can see the icon in applications. If I try to start it from the icon, it gives me a message saying I have to start it from xecutah. But it's just not there in xecutah. Does anyone have a clue how to remedy this? I can start an xterm from xecutah but I have no idea how to get from there to the UbuntuChroot (or even if you can do it from there).

i53.tinypic.com/34hfdap.jpg
    Just start xterm . xserver starts automatically. The gray screen you will see with a black x is the xserver screen before xterm starts.
    Shneor
    Yeah I can start xterm. But how do I go from xterm to Ubuntu Chroot? If I go back to xecutah and select "Start Ubuntu 11.04 Chroot", nothing happens. The install of Ubuntu Chroot on the Touchpad seemed to go OK.
    Is there any way to troubleshoot whether the problem is with xecutah or with the Ubuntu Chroot install?
    Quote Originally Posted by Len111 View Post
    Yeah I can start xterm. But how do I go from xterm to Ubuntu Chroot? If I go back to xecutah and select "Start Ubuntu 11.04 Chroot", nothing happens. The install of Ubuntu Chroot on the Touchpad seemed to go OK.
    Is there any way to troubleshoot whether the problem is with xecutah or with the Ubuntu Chroot install?
    On my touchpad, when I start ubuntu chroot, first the xserver screen comes up, then a white xterm screen with text, finally, lxde starts up (I used the autoconfig, mostly happy with it). It takes a minute or two. you might try mounting ubuntu in your webos xterm (you can use the tp virtual keyboard set to xs). I used an image file; if you did that too, Just type
    mount -o loop /media/cryptofs/ubuntu.img /media/ext3fs <enter>

then go back to xecutah and hit the ubuntu chroot option.

If you partitioned, this won't help, but a similar command might.
    Shneor
    Mine doesn't. It almost always changes to landscape, even though I'm holding the TP vertically, and have rotation lock on. But every now and then, it stays in portrait.
    Shneor
    [QUOTE=ShiftyAxel;3201091]I've found a couple of tweaks that make ubuntu more tablet-friendly.
    Note that I'm using XFCE and the WebOS keyboard, most of these tweaks should work just fine on LXDE or any other WM. The more XFCE-specific ones will probably have to be reinterpreted for other WMs.
    First up is hiding the cursor:]

Can you please explain why you want to hide the cursor? I must be missing something.
    Thx.
    Shneor