Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast
Like Tree45Likes
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Having Ubuntu on my Touchpad is SO nice, but I am having some issues that I was not sure have been addressed, since this chain is so long, so hopefully someone can answer. First off, I did use your automated process and it is great to get LXDE installed.

1. I can't get my sound to work, any ideas?
    2. My date and time are way off and when I try and change them through the command is changes my WebOS time. Not sure how to resolve.
    3. The software manager is not working, it keeps asking for a password, that I don't know.
    4. I have been unable to use Novacomm for some reason. I have been able to create the 2GB partition, but I would like to see if there is a way to get a partition bigger than that without Meta-Doctor or Novacomm.
    5. Is here a way to get Bluetooth working, so it can work with a non-WebOS phone?
    6. Any progress on getting Gnome?

Thanks and again, great work in getting it this far,
    Craig
    Great script - saved a ton of time (and likely mistakes).

Quick question - using the Onboard keyboard as a backup for the webOS keyboard (because I also sometime use my BT keyboard) and was wondering if there is an easy way to change the font on the Onboard keyboard to be smaller so they don't overrun the keys?

Thanks
  3.    #283  
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigRD1969 View Post
    1. I can't get my sound to work, any ideas?
    2. My date and time are way off and when I try and change them through the command is changes my WebOS time. Not sure how to resolve.
    3. The software manager is not working, it keeps asking for a password, that I don't know.
    4. I have been unable to use Novacomm for some reason. I have been able to create the 2GB partition, but I would like to see if there is a way to get a partition bigger than that without Meta-Doctor or Novacomm.
    5. Is here a way to get Bluetooth working, so it can work with a non-WebOS phone?
    6. Any progress on getting Gnome?
    Craig
    1. Nope, it should work. What application are you trying to use?
    2. It should have been set correctly at the end of the set up. If you need to reset it use the command "sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata"
    3. Run it from command line preceding the command with "sudo". For example "sudo synaptic"
    4. I think you need to remove the partition and re doctor, but I'm not clear on the details.
    5. I haven't heard of anyone getting it working.
    6. At this point I do not have any plans of adding Gnome to this set up script. In some of the other threads people have talked about having some success using it, but personally I don't think it runs well compared to LXDE or XFCE4.
  4.    #284  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadgetude View Post
    Great script - saved a ton of time (and likely mistakes).

Quick question - using the Onboard keyboard as a backup for the webOS keyboard (because I also sometime use my BT keyboard) and was wondering if there is an easy way to change the font on the Onboard keyboard to be smaller so they don't overrun the keys?

Thanks
    You can edit the layout file found at /usr/share/onboard/layouts/Default.onboard and see if you can improve the look. I have been too busy to work on it myself.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zane9000 View Post
    1. Nope, it should work. What application are you trying to use?
    2. It should have been set correctly at the end of the set up. If you need to reset it use the command "sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata"
    3. Run it from command line preceding the command with "sudo". For example "sudo synaptic"
    4. I think you need to remove the partition and re doctor, but I'm not clear on the details.
    5. I haven't heard of anyone getting it working.
    6. At this point I do not have any plans of adding Gnome to this set up script. In some of the other threads people have talked about having some success using it, but personally I don't think it runs well compared to LXDE or XFCE4.

Maybe I need to download an app that takes advantage of sound, do you have any recommendations? I am trying out XFCE right now. Thank you for your help on the time and Synaptic, works like a charm now. As far as the partitioning goes, I can't get Novacomm to work on Windows or Ubuntu, so the doctor won't work either. Just not sure if there is a way to do it without one of those. I can get the WebDoctor to work on Windows though, very strange

Also, I can't see to get Firefox working with Flash and will FF 7.01 work on the version we have? Also, any recommended apps would be appreciates, just getting started.

Thanks again,
    Craig
    you need Gnash, Lightspark and Mozilla Flash Plugin, the issue is the install order, flash does work with those 3 on, its just a case of juggling when their installed as the rest of your systems installed.

ive had it work maybe 10% of the times i did installing the whole system manually and it refused to play ball the rest of the time, seemingly randomly working when i tried to retrace how i got it working.

someone with more patience needs to install things the logn way and add in those 3 in a set order to see which is the magic order.

note Lightspark complicates matters as i think it ships with its own version of gnash.

NOTE: The mozilla plugin even seemed to help get my chromium up and runnign with flash, that or the other 2 magically nailed it.
    I tried the whole script..it was brilliant got lxde..running...wihtout any issues...only till i restarted the device...after that i am getting a grey screen with a black cross pointer...soemone please help....i am stuck
    Maybe I need to download an app that takes advantage of sound, do you have any recommendations? I am trying out XFCE right now. Thank you for your help on the time and Synaptic, works like a charm now. As far as the partitioning goes, I can't get Novacomm to work on Windows or Ubuntu, so the doctor won't work either. Just not sure if there is a way to do it without one of those. I can get the WebDoctor to work on Windows though, very strange

Also, I can't see to get Firefox working with Flash and will FF 7.01 work on the version we have? Also, any recommended apps would be appreciates, just getting started.

Thanks again,
    Craig
    Do a search on this forum with those key words "ubuntu gnome audio mic" and you will stumble on a thread that is right for you

As far as Novacomm is concerned, you can skip the partitionning part if you already have an Ubuntu Chroot installation. Just take the parts where you have to install and launch the two scripts.

BTW, did you try to install the Webos SDK for windows ? It has novacom drivers that should work for you I think...
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
    this workks great but i cant find the user folder through internalz. i save a fiile in chromium and want to open it in webos but i dont kno where to look
  10.    #290  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaerey View Post
    Zane: the tutorial the other guy linked works great! Could be an easy incorporation to what you already have.
    I thought his instructions would be easy to add to the script, but the modification of chroot-wrapper.sh can't be done from the script. I am working on making an IPK that can be downloaded and run as a Touchpad app. This will be able to modify the chroot-wrapper correctly.
  11.    #291  
    Quote Originally Posted by an4them View Post
    this workks great but i cant find the user folder through internalz. i save a fiile in chromium and want to open it in webos but i dont kno where to look
    The Ubuntu root can be found at /media/ext3fs/ubuntu-natty-chroot/
    the user's home directory can be found at /media/ext3fs/ubuntu-natty-chroot/home/USERNAME
    where USERNAME is your user name.
    I tried the whole script..it was brilliant got lxde..running...wihtout any issues...only till i restarted the device...after that i am getting a grey screen with a black cross pointer...soemone please help....i am stuck
    if you used an image file then you need to remount it.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Moving back to LXDE with a fresh install and will see if the sound works. XFCE seems to have some issues working properly with the point and drag, not sure what it is, but it seems that LXDE is the most functional of the two. Then I will try the sound on it again, since I know it has a music player installed with it.
  14.    #294  
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigRD1969 View Post
    Moving back to LXDE with a fresh install and will see if the sound works. XFCE seems to have some issues working properly with the point and drag, not sure what it is, but it seems that LXDE is the most functional of the two. Then I will try the sound on it again, since I know it has a music player installed with it.
    The LXDE music player doesn't work. Try using installing and using VLC.
    yeah i did use an image file...each time i need to remount it ??
    Can anyone tell me how to bring up the Onboard keyboard in LXDE? I tweaked the TP keyboard off, and couldn't figure out how to get Onboard up.
    Thx,
    Shneor
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
  17.    #297  
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor View Post
    Can anyone tell me how to bring up the Onboard keyboard in LXDE? I tweaked the TP keyboard off, and couldn't figure out how to get Onboard up.
    Thx,
    Shneor
    Did you have the script install Easystroke? If you did Onboard will start by drawing a "V" on the screen.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    The LXDE music player doesn't work. Try using installing and using VLC.
    I guess the install I did the first time, did not launch the program to sync time. I have sound now, as well. It is so nice to have answers when I need them. Would love to get Firefox with flash working too, but that is minor. Now it is time to see what else I can find. Thanks again, this is great!!
    sorry if this has been answeredd i looked through the post and couldnt find anything.
    1. i fat fingered the time zone selection popp up in lxde is there a way to change it?
    2. is there a wayy to access files outside the partition while i lxde
    Did you have the script install Easystroke? If you did Onboard will start by drawing a "V" on the screen.
    Actually, I moved the keyboard to autostart. But I find that there are problems with not being root. For example, I want to use vlc on flies stored on the usb drive, which is mounted, but vlc won't take me there because I'm not root. There's probably an easier way, but I've been out of unix/linux for a couple of decades.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad