Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast
Like Tree45Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by grasshoper View Post
    What kind of environment did you set up ? LXDE, XFCE, Gnome... ?

Usually, for me at least, when installing through the script, the terminal window just minimize on desktop #2.
    grasshoper, I made a tutorial yesterday for gnome and there is no log window (xdotool windowunmap 0x0020000d). All details are there :
    forums.precentral.net/webos-development/300758-tutorial-ubuntu-gnome-audio-mic-control.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubupad View Post
    grasshoper, I made a tutorial yesterday for gnome and there is no log window (xdotool windowunmap 0x0020000d). All details are there :
    forums.precentral.net/webos-development/300758-tutorial-ubuntu-gnome-audio-mic-control.html
    Thank you, been to the thread to answer
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
    Quote Originally Posted by zane9000 View Post
    You need to first make a mount point (assuming you want it mounted at /media/internal)
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /media/internal
    Then you need to mount the drive
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/mapper/store-media /media/internal -t vfat
    Everything should now be showing in the /media/mount directory.

If you want to unmount the drive
    Code:
    sudo umount /media/internal
    Finally, if you do wish to make this auto mount each time you start
    Code:
    sudo echo "/dev/mapper/store-media /media/internal vfat rw,realtime,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow_utime=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0" >> /etc/fstab
    Is it possible to still use /media/internal just as always while mounted in the chroot? or will i need to manually unmount each time for this?

By the way i love the script makes life easy... although I was wondering if you could just have a single script one needs to execute to auto download the tar and extract and run the script in it. haha so like one simple

Code:
    wget downloaderscripturl

./downloaderscript
    and that script does the rest of wgetting the tar file executing the isntall script and than removing all the content used for the install when finished?

sorry i am new to scripting so maybe what i am saying is too difficult to impliment but i figure it will make it easier on the end user... and if you changed anything in the tar it wouldnt really matter user can still simply run the same script.
    MatterOfFactJack
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Zane: the tutorial the other guy linked works great! Could be an easy incorporation to what you already have.
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
    This is _very_ cool!
    Would Zane, the tutorial author, or any other wizards in this forum be down to speak at a users group meeting about this? I'm in particular hoping someone would come to our, the SF/SJ Bay Area webOS meetup. This would be totally awesome! Feel free to pm or dm me, or however else you prefer. Obviously don't want to clutter up this thread with these posts, but it might be cool if folks that were really comfortable could post their locale, or better yet, contact their local group, hopefully they're all on webos.meetup.com
    ftw!
    palm lineage: VzPre+ to Pre2 to Pre3, now using a AT&T Pre3 on wifi and Panda Touchpad.
    DU unlock codes available (Veers, Pres, etc, Oh my!)
    Has Pre3s & tpFauxG for sale!
    (Sales prices always less than ebay)
    That is a shame, I will investigate this later today/tomorrow. Are you doing a clean install, or running the script over an existing install?
    So, from that error it looks like there was an issue when installing florence. I did a clean install of lxde with onboard and a clean install of xfce4 with florence and both worked without issue. I would recommend wiping and trying again.

By the way, this is using the version Ubuntu, Xecutah, etc that were in the new beta feed last night.
    Ok, apparently i need help with this too. The new xecutah broke my otherwise perfect ubuntu chroot install. it appears i have to unistall and reinstall. can you point me in the right direction (or link) as to how to remove my current and reinstall clean....thanks.
    ----------------------------------------
    "The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities, some considered to be, unnatural"
    It seems like very few people has my issue, but I'll shoot anyway.

Chromium seems to be having an issue with downloading and installing extensions, as well as setting up sync. It won't download or install the extensions (no error message), nor will the "setting up..." go away from the sync box.

Does anyone have an idea? From the logs, it appears to be an issue with SSL, though I can't confirm this myself.
    I installed but i didn't install the onboard keyboard. I stupidly hit "y" instead of "o"
    but how can i just install the onboard keyboard now
    i tried to type
    apt-get install wget
    and get some permission error.
    Precede your command with sudo. So type sudo apt-get install wget, for example.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    How can I run the full Network manager? I have installed used Easy Configuration script and installed the ubuntu-desktop package, but when I call up Network Manager - Properties (via a new desktop link) I get the error message "Failed to run "network%manager.desktop" "failed to execute child process "/etc/NetworkManager/VPN/nm-pptp-service.name" (Permission denied)"

I have given this full administrator priviledges, I want to setup a VPN connection via PPTP. With a working Network Manager it would be really easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    Precede your command with sudo. So type sudo apt-get install wget, for example.

cd /
    sudo rm -rf ubuntuconf*

but at last it would said "can't write to "ubuntuconf.tar.gz"(premission denied)
    Last edited by hinghing1113; 10/01/2011 at 06:10 PM.
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawlipop View Post
    It seems like very few people has my issue, but I'll shoot anyway.

Chromium seems to be having an issue with downloading and installing extensions, as well as setting up sync. It won't download or install the extensions (no error message), nor will the "setting up..." go away from the sync box.

Does anyone have an idea? From the logs, it appears to be an issue with SSL, though I can't confirm this myself.
    Try installing from this link. i was having the same issue:

chromeTouch Google Chrome Extensions

(that's for chrome touch, obviously.. but search for others thru there, e.g. Google Voice, adblocker, etc)
    Quote Originally Posted by hinghing1113 View Post
    cd /
    sudo rm -rf ubuntuconf*

but at last it would said "can't write to "ubuntuconf.tar.gz"(premission denied)
    Try deleting it from webOS. Use xterm and cd to /media/ext3fs/ubuntu-natty-chroot then try deleting the folder from there.
    Quote Originally Posted by decalex View Post
    Try installing from this link. i was having the same issue:

(that's for chrome touch, obviously.. but search for others thru there, e.g. Google Voice, adblocker, etc)
    Thanks for the tip, though...

I think I figured it out. Since there aren't too many reports of this SSL issue, my attention turned to the Preware. Specifically, what I installed in Preware. I realized I installed a few Optware applications to allow wifi file transfers. The package in question was OpenSSH SFTP server. I removed all of my Optware packages and woah, the extensions installed fine!

The sync though... unfortunately, that's still a no-go. I think it's because the sync data from my desktop Chromium install isn't compatible with this older Chromium version for Ubuntu ARM (Chromium build 103289 vs. 81283). Someone needs to update the builds.
    I'd like the onboard keyboard to auto-start & be MINIMIZED (easystroke doesn't always recognize my V stroke - or rather, it takes a couple of swipes before it works).
    Anyway know how to do that?

Great work guys!!!

// Edit: I copied /usr/share/applications/onboard.desktop to /home/<user>/.config/autostart/
    // onboard starts but, I need to manually MINIMIZE it.
    Last edited by mangledlftthumb; 10/02/2011 at 07:47 PM.
    I have been seeing a lot of problems from people that have successfully followed the instructions found on the first page of TUTORIAL: How to get Ubuntu on the TouchPad, but are still having trouble getting a good working graphical environment.

In that thread Bradmont provides some very helpful instructions which have since been buried and overlooked. To that end I have put together an very easy automated process for you to follow that will configure Ubuntu for you once it is installed. After following these quick steps you will have:

• Non-privileged user account that is added to the sudoers list.
    • A "Touchpad optimized" LXDE or XFCE4 which will auto-launch into a session for the user account with dbus activated when Ubuntu is started by Xecutah.
    • Date and time are properly set
    • Working audio. (Thanks to Willard and premiso)
    • Useless start up terminal window is hidden automatically.
    • Florence Virtual Keyboard OR Onboard virtual keyboard with a slightly corrected version of Bradmont's layout (Note: Use Caps button on onboard instead of shift for now). ***See note about keyboard differences below ***Caution: Do not install Florence if you plan on using a Bluetooth keyboard.
    • Easystroke can be preloaded with some gestures and set to start at login. (Easystroke seems to slow down typing significantly. With Florence and longtap=rightclick you might not need to use it.) ***More info on included gestures below.
    • libgtkstylus right click is enabled (long tap to right click).
    • rdesktop, xtightvncviewer, and SSH are installed.
    • xournal installed for tablet writing and PDF viewing/annotation.
    • Evince PDF viewer installed.
    • Synaptic Package Manager, wmctrl, gnash (flash plugin), gamix, are also installed.
    • An option to automount the USB partition (/media/internal) will be given. [CAUTION: if you do this, be sure you unmount the partition before trying to uninstall Ubuntu and clearing /media/ext3fs]
    • Also there is an option to install LibreOffice
    • Finally, any errors (and there will be) that occur during window manager launches will be written to ~/.wman.err. These probably wont be important but may be helpful during future troubleshooting.

This will give you environment that should be much more friendly to the common Linux user. If there is enough interest I may make this process a bit easier and add more options (ie different window managers).

NOTE: This is intended to be done over a clean install of Ubuntu. If you do it on existing install that should be ok, but if you set it up for a user that already exists, some (all) of your previous configurations may be wiped out.

Please let me know how this process works for you and how it can be improved.

Now, on with the show...

STEP 1: From the Ubuntu command line type (all commands are from the Ubuntu prompt)
    Code:
    apt-get install wget
    this will install wget which is needed to grab the configuration scripts and files from my server.

STEP 2:
    Code:
    wget soc2.ucsc.edu/ubuntuconf.tar.gz
    This will download my configuration files to your current directory and can (should) be deleted after everything is done.

STEP 3:
    Code:
    tar xzfv ubuntuconf.tar.gz
    This will unpack the compressed file into a folder called ubuntuconf. This folder also can (should) be deleted when everything is done.

STEP 4:
    Code:
    cd ubuntuconf
    STEP 5:
    Code:
    ./runme.sh
    This will run the configuration script. Make sure you get the ./ in there. It will ask you a few questions at the beginning and then proceed to install everything. When it asks for your username do not put in "root", or "sudo" or any other linux command or standard user, use something unique. The installation will take a good amount of time depending on your internet speed. Chances are you will lose the webOS keyboard part way though the install. That is fine because you should not need to type anything else, you are done. When it finishes installing just restart Luna (or reboot the device if you don't know what Luna is) and the webOS keyboard will return. When you launch Ubuntu next you should find yourself in the window manager and ready to go.

STEP 6 (Optional):
    Head over to Preware and get Tweaks. This will let you eliminate (or resize) the webOS keyboard. I know I said this was optional, but I was lying, just do it.

----
    Differences Between the Two Types of Keyboards:

Florence is a very nice looking keyboard that you can resize however you like. It also has a button in the tray to raise/lower it so you don't need Easystroke for this. On the left side there are a number of keyboard control buttons (a wrench for configuration and a set of arrows for moving are the most useful). In the controls menu you can turn off window decoration which removes the title bar so it takes up a bit less space. Having the window decoration turned on makes resizing much easier.
    The down side of Florence is that it will completely garble webOS, Onboard, and bluetooth keyboards. This is the reason the installer only lets you choose one or the other. I am working on a fix for this.

Onboard is more stable, but its pretty ugly for now and you must use Easystroke to drop and raise the keyboard. On the upside, its layout is comparable with the webOS keyboard so you can use that as a back up.

You can always switch by running the install script again and chose different options.

----

Some Info on the Preconfigured Easygesture:
    I preprogramming 4 basic gestures for you:
    Click to view quoted imageRight click
    Click to view quoted imageClose current window
    Click to view quoted imageBring up Onboard keyboard if installed (Thanks to Bradmont for providing the script)
    Click to view quoted image<ENTER> button. This is useful so you don't need to double click icons to launch them.

-----

I want to give a huge thanks to weoOS Internals, Rennat, Geekpeter, Bradmont, Qole, Willard and Premiso who have all been instrumental in getting my own setup working. I hope that this can be my way to give something back to such a great community.

-----

Change Log
    • 9/7/2011:
    • Added the option for installing Florence or Onboard keyboard
    • Fixed the "host not resolved" issue when using sudo
    • No longer installs gnome-terminal
    • More reliable automounting internal partition.
    • Added a number of checks during install to make sure there are no duplicate entries in configuration files.

• 9/2/2011:
    • Fixed time zone setting
    • Added a check for valid username

• 9/1/2011:
    • Fixed permissions issues for some of the config files
    • Unless terminal window is now auto hidden on the second desktop
    • Added desktop pager to lxpanel
    • xournal and evince now auto install
    i still get the "host not resolved issue. using xfce4 as my wm. should i just switch to lxde? or is it easily fixable?
    webOSroundup and Project Macaw contributor
    Remember, if I helped you, please click on the little or ♥ to the right
  17.    #277  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaerey View Post
    Zane: the tutorial the other guy linked works great! Could be an easy incorporation to what you already have.
    Sorry if it seems like I abandoned this project, but I became overwhelmed with work for the last few days. I think those steps can be incorporated into this script. I will work on it over the next few days.
  18.    #278  
    Quote Originally Posted by arachnoman666 View Post
    Ok, apparently i need help with this too. The new xecutah broke my otherwise perfect ubuntu chroot install. it appears i have to unistall and reinstall. can you point me in the right direction (or link) as to how to remove my current and reinstall clean....thanks.
    Follow these instructions to wipe your current install.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...ml#post3143847
  19.    #279  
    Quote Originally Posted by mangledlftthumb View Post
    I'd like the onboard keyboard to auto-start & be MINIMIZED (easystroke doesn't always recognize my V stroke - or rather, it takes a couple of swipes before it works).
    Anyway know how to do that?

Great work guys!!!

// Edit: I copied /usr/share/applications/onboard.desktop to /home/<user>/.config/autostart/
    // onboard starts but, I need to manually MINIMIZE it.
    You could write a script that uses wmctrl to minimize the window after it opens. I will make an effort to just make a button in the task bar that launches/closes onboard so you dont need to use gestures.
  20.    #280  
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickc View Post
    i still get the "host not resolved issue. using xfce4 as my wm. should i just switch to lxde? or is it easily fixable?
    I have not seen that error in either window manager since the update. I suspect what happened is that you did not delete all of the old ubuntuconf stuff before downloading the new set of scripts and you just reinstalled an older version.
    The next version of the script will autoclean itself so you don't need to worry about it.

If you want to fix the error, try typing the following into a terminal within Ubuntu:
    sed -i "s/ubuntu-natty-chroot/HOSTNAME/g" "/etc/hosts"

where HOSTNAME is the name of you touchpad (the word after the @ at the terminal prompt)