Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
Like Tree45Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mwfoshee View Post
    I ran your script and found it quite easy to use, Thanks for doing all the work, I liked the look of XFCE4 so I thought I'd nuke my old (working) install and do it again.

Followed the instructions for correct un-install and ran the new script. again flawless, but better, now using XFCE4. love it!

only thing, when I try to run synaptic I get an error "Failed to run /usr/sbin/synaptic as root user" unable to copy the user's Xauthorization file.

any insights would be appreciated!
    use

sudo synaptic, or better yet add that to 1 of the launcher panel/bars.

do the same for anything else that touches your systems inner workings, like bleachbit.
  2.    #242  
    Quote Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
    Looks like the new Ubuntu Chroot breaks your script. It stops short of completion after:

.gconfig/apps/florence/style/%gconf.xml
    couldn't startl: No such file or directory
    That is a shame, I will investigate this later today/tomorrow. Are you doing a clean install, or running the script over an existing install?
  3.    #243  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    use

do the same for anything else that touches your systems inner workings, like bleachbit.
    That is a great idea to add them to the launch panel with "sudo" already put in. I will make an effort to do that automatically on future versions of the script.
    I just reinstalled everything to work with the new version of Xecutah and the chroot that allows multiple X windows. It's sweet, and interestingly enough this new install is behaving a lot nicer than my previous one. I guess starting from scratch cleared out some stupid crap I'd done earlier. XD

The only issue remaining is that extensions I try to add to chromium still don't seem to install, but aside from that things are running smooth here.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    use

I will thank you guys in advance, as I'm sure I'll need your help again.

I typed "sudo synaptic" in the terminal and after a little hesitation synaptic package manager did open but with a error screen on top of it stating

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem
    E: _cache->open () failed, please report

so I did as the warning suggested and from the terminal typed "sudo dpkg --configure -a"

Volia! Thanks again
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zane9000 View Post
    That is a shame, I will investigate this later today/tomorrow. Are you doing a clean install, or running the script over an existing install?
    Squeaky clean.
  7.    #247  
    Quote Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
    Looks like the new Ubuntu Chroot breaks your script. It stops short of completion after:

.gconfig/apps/florence/style/%gconf.xml
    couldn't startl: No such file or directory
    So, from that error it looks like there was an issue when installing florence. I did a clean install of lxde with onboard and a clean install of xfce4 with florence and both worked without issue. I would recommend wiping and trying again.

By the way, this is using the version Ubuntu, Xecutah, etc that were in the new beta feed last night.
    zane or anyone else for that matter when i open file manager i get transport endpoint is not connected...do you know why this would pop up?
  9.    #249  
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunksaliby View Post
    zane or anyone else for that matter when i open file manager i get transport endpoint is not connected...do you know why this would pop up?
    I noticed that happen at one point many installs ago. Not sure what caused it and I havent seen it since. I suspect there was something fouled up in my /etc/fstab but I can't be sure.
    okay cuz it seems when i press ok to close, the file manager seems to work correctly afterwards...no need for a clean installation right? i dont feel like doin it again =/ haha
  11.    #251  
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunksaliby View Post
    okay cuz it seems when i press ok to close, the file manager seems to work correctly afterwards...no need for a clean installation right? i dont feel like doin it again =/ haha
    Everything seemed to work fine other than the annoying message. If it doesn't bother you, I don't think you need to do a reinstall.
    Quote Originally Posted by zane9000 View Post
    Everything seemed to work fine other than the annoying message. If it doesn't bother you, I don't think you need to do a reinstall.
    ok awesome thanks yeah i can deal with it definitely :P
    Is there a script or some tutorial to install a clean and working ubuntu-netbook from scratch ? I just tested above the lxde i stall and it work, but I have issues since I can't figure out how to tell ubuntu to launch gnome-session instead of lxde^^
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grasshoper View Post
    Is there a script or some tutorial to install a clean and working ubuntu-netbook from scratch ? I just tested above the lxde i stall and it work, but I have issues since I can't figure out how to tell ubuntu to launch gnome-session instead of lxde^^
    Not that I know of yet but you can try XFCE4 instead by rerunning zanes config files. You could also try just installing the packages but I think the stock netbook remix still uses unity which isn't working yet(as far as I know).
    "The Gods do not protect fools, fools are merely protected by more capable fools"
    I already use xfce4, and when I install ubuntu-netbook and launch it above xfce (configured with the script of this thread) it works really fine, better than installing just u-netbook from scratch.

But it's still above xfce4, so no WM and a few bugs (ie. Xfce panel is still there, some apps won't work and other inconvenience due to a non proper config).

I found the wiki page on webos-internals for ubuntu-netbook installation but the git repo that step 5 indicates seems to be no longer maintained. So for now I don't know how to solve that ^^
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    This hasn't attracted enough attention, but it seems to fix all installation and compatibility problems I have run into.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...ility-fix.html

Just run the commands from the first post before you start Zane's runme.sh script. The poster mentions that those would have to be rerun after each restart, but for me everything still worked even after a complete reboot of the Touchpad.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    found "dbus-launch start" in /root/.bashrc

the $wman variable check throws an error
    ./runme.sh (line59) lxde=lxde: command not found
    Code:
    $wman="lxde"
    thanks for making this so easy & awesome !!!

who has this going with a BT keyboard & what is the experience like ?
    i'd like to know what im getting into before spending
    I used the auto config script and have created a very functional environment for myself.

I wonder though if it's possible for the terminal window that starts the chroot not to show/ or at least not to take the screen at the start if the chroot?
    I used the auto config script and have created a very functional environment for myself.

I wonder though if it's possible for the terminal window that starts the chroot not to show/ or at least not to take the screen at the start if the chroot?
    What kind of environment did you set up ? LXDE, XFCE, Gnome... ?

Usually, for me at least, when installing through the script, the terminal window just minimize on desktop #2.
    What kind of environment did you set up ? LXDE, XFCE, Gnome... ?

Usually, for me at least, when installing through the script, the terminal window just minimize on desktop #2.
    lxde, chosen in the dialog from the easy-config script.