540 -1032
    648 -1038
    756 -1046
    864 -1058
    1.18 -1075
    1.8 -1096
  2.    #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by LBCaptivate View Post
    I installed F15C and am using your settings from the first post but I did not pay any attnetion to the default settings for F15C. Can you tell me what they are?

Thanks!

So far the TP is running smooth and fast but I have noticed that the battery has run down from 100% tp 76% over about 2 hours of just reading forums with no other programs open and brightness at about 75%. The mail progream is set to check three accounts every 15 minutes. Does this seem reasonable?
    honestly i don't pay attention to battery life at all. As long as it lasts a few hours I'm happy
    gryffon likes this.
    brightness has more to do with battery drain than anything else... Probably -300mA of the drain I posted above was just from max brightness. Compare that to the -66mA difference between 423mhz and 1.8ghz with both cores running...
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Ok. So I removed the uberkernel then dl'd and applied the f15. I tried your settings and applies the settings then tried to select the 1.8 or 1.9 GHz overclock but after it auto resets it shows a cap of 1.7. Would anyone know why this is? Also all the settings like changing the following:
    governor: Ondemand
    min freq: 192mhz
    max freq: 1.836GHz
    sampling rate: 0.01 Sec
    up threshold: 65%
    ignore nice load: false
    powersave bias: 0

I/O Scheduler: NOOP
    TCP Congestion: VENOM

all seem to return to the default settings after the reset despite hitting apply every time.

Edit: add to this, I just tried running a few programs and according to the govnah it seems that only one processor is kicking in...

If anyone had any idea why this might be happening I sure would appreciate the input.

Cheers
    Last edited by Thor e; 09/02/2011 at 12:36 PM.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor e View Post
    Ok. So I removed the uberkernel then dl'd and applied the f15. I tried your settings and applies the settings then tried to select the 1.8 or 1.9 GHz overclock but after it auto resets it shows a cap of 1.7. Would anyone know why this is? Also all the settings like changing the following:
    governor: Ondemand
    min freq: 192mhz
    max freq: 1.836GHz
    sampling rate: 0.01 Sec
    up threshold: 65%
    ignore nice load: false
    powersave bias: 0

I/O Scheduler: NOOP
    TCP Congestion: VENOM

all seem to return to the default settings after the reset despite hitting apply every time.

Edit: add to this, I just tried running a few programs and according to the govnah it seems that only one processor is kicking in...

If anyone had any idea why this might be happening I sure would appreciate the input.

Cheers
    To answer your last question regarding the second core, please make sure you read about that before asking on these forums. The developers don't like it when people are asking questions that have already been answered. Suffice it to say, the second core does function with this kernel, but Govnah has some issues with this kernel/hardware/etc., one of which is causing it to stop reflecting cpu activity on the second core if you make modifications to the stock 1.7 settings. I wrote up a long troubleshooting guide in another thread, but it looks like that thread was deleted sometime this morning.

A few people have reported that their TP can not be OC'd to 1.9, and that when they hit apply it reboots. That sounds like the same problem you are having. I've only tried up to 1.8 and it worked for me. Are you saying you can't go higher then 1.7 without it rebooting? That's not good.

Here is my recommendation. Uninstall Govnah and F15C. Reboot. Install the Palm Default Kernel. Reboot. Install F15C again. Reboot. Install Govnah. Reboot. You should now be running at the stock 1.7 freq for this kernel, and Govnah should be showing the second core's activity. You can either leave it like that, and it should run fine, or try to make some changes and risk that it will go back to it's fudged state. The first profile change seems to work fine, but subsequent ones can result in an error writing out to /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_govenor. If you see that error, Govnah is broken and you should uninstall it, reboot, and try reinstalling it again. But yes, it will go back to defaults.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostinator View Post
    Give me a few hours, i'll have a chart breakdown of what each kernel adds in compared to others. Each kernel does bring in certain file system support such as adding mounting samba shares, etc. Let me do some digging and i'll make it in an easy to read chart or something or the other
    Looking forward to this info since I want to overclock to 1.7- 1.8 and don't know which kernel would be the best for me.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Thanks for the reply. I did notice my Gaf after I posted it and that processor 2 was kicking in when needed. As for the rest of your suggestions I will have to give that a try tonight and I will post the results. Thanks for the loan of your brain power, much appreciated.

Cheers.
  8.    #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by joeym74 View Post
    Looking forward to this info since I want to overclock to 1.7- 1.8 and don't know which kernel would be the best for me.
    I'm waiting to get some info from rodd and Unix, so it'll be a little bit longer
  9.    #89  
    Thanks for the reply. I did notice my Gaf after I posted it and that processor 2 was kicking in when needed. As for the rest of your suggestions I will have to give that a try tonight and I will post the results. Thanks for the loan of your brain power, much appreciated.

Cheers.
    if it resets after you hit apply then your TouchPad can't handle the speed.
    where doo
    I find and how do I set parameters such as sampling rate, up threshold, ignore nice load, etc.
    thanks,
    rich edwards
    Use the blue question mark in Govnah.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostinator View Post
    if it resets after you hit apply then your TouchPad can't handle the speed.
    Ok. I did everything I was instructed. Then when I tried it at 1.9 it restart and back to default 1.7. So then I tried 1.8 which worked for a bit but then with a number of cards open to see how it would do it reset again. So I guess on the F15 its 1.7 for me. Would the F4 be more reliable at the 1.8? Not to worried but just curious.

Thanks for the help WebOS crew...
    Last edited by Thor e; 09/03/2011 at 10:29 PM.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Ok. I did everything I was instructed. Then when I tried it at 1.9 it restart and back to default 1.7. So then I tried 1.8 which worked for a bit but then with a number of cards open to see how it would do it reset again. So I guess on the F15 its 1.7 for me. Would the F4 be more reliable at the 1.8? Not to worried but just curious.

Thanks for the help WebOS crew...
    I don't know enough about the differences between the two kernels to say for sure, but I would bet that if your TP can't handle >=1.8, it won't work on either of the kernels. Especially if it's rebooting as soon as you try to overclock it. But, you could find out for sure in about five minutes of work. Let us know if you do and what happens.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I've tried the F15C as suggested, and everything works as promised, until I try a Flash-enabled website. Specifically, ESPN3 either locks up or reboots the TP every time. Other sites have locked up as well. Have uninstalled and reinstalled both Govnah and the kernel. Have not tried a lower clock speed or the Warthog kernel. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    I've used F15 yesterday and it worked awesome. I'm now trying to use F4 and its working smoothly so far.
  16.    #96  
    I'm installing the ubuntu chroot setup so I can run more benchmarking suites and what not.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I install Ubuntu the other day, but used the image method as opposed to the partition method since I didn't want to have to wipe/reinstall everything using meta-doctor. It works well though. Was trying to get Ekiga (soft phone for VoIP) running. It works, but the audio is unusable. Hoping for a native SIP phone soon in WebOS.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by matteebee13 View Post
    I had the same issue. Disabled profiles, uninstalled govnah and F15C, rebooted, installed palm default kernel to be safe, rebooted, reinstalled F15C, govnah, rebooted and everything worked right. Changed settings and saved the new profile. Been running super smooth and fast the last 18 hrs no crashes or problems so far. :-)
    I tried everything listed here. I disabled profiles (Profile -> "Govnah" button -> Disable Profile). I uninstalled F15c, Govnah, then rebooted. Installed Palm Kernal then rebooted. Installed F15C and Govnah again, then rebooted. Upon opening Govnah it's set to an unknown profile and it won't let me apply new settings. I can change back to the OnDemand, but if I do that, then diable profiles and repeat, I still get the error: "unable to open /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_governor" error.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: After posting this, I manually deleted all the profiles and then "Disable Profile". I then ran through the uninstall/reinstall process, I was able to apply and save.
    Last edited by trillexer; 09/05/2011 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Corrected
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trillexer View Post
    I tried everything listed here. I disabled profiles (Profile -> "Govnah" button -> Disable Profile). I uninstalled F15c, Govnah, then rebooted. Installed Palm Kernal then rebooted. Installed F15C and Govnah again, then rebooted. Upon opening Govnah it's set to an unknown profile and it won't let me apply new settings. I can change back to the OnDemand, but if I do that, then diable profiles and repeat, I still get the error: "unable to open /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_governor" error.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: After posting this, I manually deleted all the profiles and then "Disable Profile". I then ran through the uninstall/reinstall process, I was able to apply and save.
    The error message you are getting is because when cpu1 (the second core) is shutdown (by the Touchpad because it doesn't need the extra power), the "cpufreq" subdirectory is removed automatically. So if you try applying any setting changes when the second cpu core isn't operational, you will get an error about being unable to write to it.

However, in my experience, when you see that error message, in addition to it not applying the settings to the second core's governor file, it causes other weird side effects. I believe this is more an issue with govnah then the kernel itself. I was able to apply settings once, but not after that. Probably because overclocking it to 1.8 means it's less likely that the second core needs to be brought online, unless you are doing extremely processor intensive applications. However, this in turn makes it more likely to see the error message on subsequent saves.

I uninstalled everything and reinstalled F15c and left it at the default 1.7 settings. It's fast enough for me, and no error messages. I also don't have any issues with govnah (in observation mode) not seeing the second core.
  20.    #100  
    Govnah also uses depreciated commands to set governor settings. Looking at the verbose boot messages from the kernel also show that. just wait on govnah to be updated
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast