Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes
  1.    #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by hnzw_rui View Post
    Thanks for the tests and the profile! Question, though, how do you run nBench on the TouchPad? Thanks again!
    see bottom of first post
  2.    #62  
    since my birthday was yesterday, I didn't get the graphs done but I'll get them done today
  3.    #63  
    All nBench, no webOSMark results yet.

4.    #64  
    For some reason i cannot login to the main website, so if you have any questions ask me them here or PM Them to me.
    I have only 2 Kernels available to me in Preware. Along with myself I have 3 friends who have an HP Touchpad and only have the Palm and Uber kernels. I have tried Preware without adding feeds, I have added feeds, I have done hard reboots, resets, checked multiple forums, Googled the question ad nauseam.

Why are the Experimental kernels showing up for what seems to be the majority of people yet they don't show up on our 4 HP Touchpads that we each individually tweaked?

-ddb
    Quote Originally Posted by ddbEntertainment View Post
    I have only 2 Kernels available to me in Preware. Along with myself I have 3 friends who have an HP Touchpad and only have the Palm and Uber kernels. I have tried Preware without adding feeds, I have added feeds, I have done hard reboots, resets, checked multiple forums, Googled the question ad nauseam.

Why are the Experimental kernels showing up for what seems to be the majority of people yet they don't show up on our 4 HP Touchpads that we each individually tweaked?

-ddb
    did you add 3 feeds?

webos-testing-all
    webos-testing-armv7
    webos-kernels-testing

?
    for some reason yesterday I forgot to add the last one and I couldn't find F15c /F4 either.
    chex_bomb likes this.
    Thanks a bunch Ghostinator - I've been expecting such a benchmark/report for some time now, as I've been swapping between the four kernals constantly. Once you OC there is NO way you can go back to the stock Palm kernel - it is just that bad. I've been having odd problems here and there with each kernel (as is expected, since they're all experimental), but I think the most stable is between Warthog and F15C - I was on the former and will install the latter again and run it for a while.

Thanks a billion to the devs who came up with these - you've made thousands of TP users so much more happier!
    So what I gather from the clock for clock benchmark is that at the same clock speed, the difference between kernels is statistically insignificant. Any kernel at 1.2 Ghz is too slow, 1.5 Ghz is where most people should go. 1.7 Ghz seems to be the best bang for your performance buck with some good gains across the board over 1.5. 1.8 doesn't get as much of a bump.

Basically, for every 100 Mhz of clock you add, you will gain the following in benchmarks (very rough):
    FP +0.1
    INT +0.5
    Mem +0.5

So, other than stability, are there other features to gain from different kernels assuming the same clock speed?
  9.    #69  
    Give me a few hours, i'll have a chart breakdown of what each kernel adds in compared to others. Each kernel does bring in certain file system support such as adding mounting samba shares, etc. Let me do some digging and i'll make it in an easy to read chart or something or the other
    hey ghostinator ,appreciate everything you do and a big kudos.Can you please post the feeds that are needed . I'm at 1.5ghz with uberkernel. How can I remove and go with f15c without baking my tp.
    Quote Originally Posted by tptp View Post
    hey ghostinator ,appreciate everything you do and a big kudos.Can you please post the feeds that are needed . I'm at 1.5ghz with uberkernel. How can I remove and go with f15c without baking my tp.
    NO, he will not.

http:/www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Testing_Feeds is the only URL that should ever be posted anywhere.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    rudramakesmovie likes this.
    great work being done here, thanks a ton ghostinator. now, if i can only get my damn TP back -_-
    is it safer to run f15c over f4 to conserve on battery because f4 runs both cores at 1.728 and f15c can run one core at 1.836 and then bring the other core when needed
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    http:/www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Testing_Feeds is the only URL that should ever be posted anywhere.

-- Rod
    Re-iteration...webos-internals "Testing" feeds aren't enabled by default in Preware for a reason. You have to enter them manually following the instructions in the wiki, OR you can enable them through the Meta-Doctor Makefile if you're going that route.

What I'm curious about is how applications running under the Ubuntu or Debian chroot perform on these kernels, if there's any benefit to running native Linux applications versus their webOS equivalents.
    I am not an atomic playboy. - Admiral W.P. Blandy
  15.    #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    NO, he will not.

-- Rod
    I did it on purpose not to add feed information As you need to understand the rules behind the alpha test feeds as I knew rod would request and I cannot agree more with him more.

also, running ubuntu chroot apps should see the increase in performance as well.

I run F15C @ 1.8GHz on an on-demand governor with the settings I listed earlier in the thread to keep battery life good.
    Quote Originally Posted by indivisibletears View Post
    Were there ever any concerns with temperature???
    This is my only concern...I watched my first movie on my TouchPad last night (V For Vendetta, run time 2 hours) and by the time it was over my TP was on fire.
  17.    #77  
    I'll run memtester all night and see what numbers I get in the morning. Memtester is similar to memtest86 I believe. We'll see if I have a touchpad or melted puddle of plastic in the am ;-)
    I have the custom profile set the same as your preferred settings but CPU 2 frequency is showing 0 MHz. I've already uninstalled the kernel and Govnah, reapplied the palm default, rebooted then reinstalled F15C and Govnah. Should CPU 2 show the activity chart and MHz?
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostinator View Post
    I did it on purpose not to add feed information As you need to understand the rules behind the alpha test feeds as I knew rod would request and I cannot agree more with him more.

also, running ubuntu chroot apps should see the increase in performance as well.

I run F15C @ 1.8GHz on an on-demand governor with the settings I listed earlier in the thread to keep battery life good.
    I installed F15C and am using your settings from the first post but I did not pay any attnetion to the default settings for F15C. Can you tell me what they are?

Thanks!

So far the TP is running smooth and fast but I have noticed that the battery has run down from 100% tp 76% over about 2 hours of just reading forums with no other programs open and brightness at about 75%. The mail progream is set to check three accounts every 15 minutes. Does this seem reasonable?
    I installed the F15C Eagle and used the settings listed in the first post and my webosmark score went from 729 to 1130! The TP is noticeably faster in loading apps and webpages, so it doesn't just benchmark better, it is performing better too!
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast