Page 1 of 30 123456 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree88Likes
  1.    #1  
    I have been playing around with the UbuntuChroot I just got installed on my Touchpad (which wasn't all that hard to do) and guess what? I have gotten a whole hord of applications to work flawlessly on it! Some of these are AbiWord (a ligth weight word processor), GIMP (Image retouching tool), and Chromium (Chrome browser). I was doing this stuff in another thread but decided this deserved its own thread. If you want me to put together a tutorial or videos of these application working I'll go ahead and do so.

And of course here are some picture because it never is true without pictures (and now Video!) :P

LXDE:
    Video:

AbiWord:
    Introducing word processing on the @HP #TouchPad using AbiWor... on Twitpic
    Video:
    (fixed)

Chromum:
    Twitpic - Share photos and videos on Twitter
    Video:
    (fixed)

GIMP:
    The first fully functional Image retouching and editing tool ... on Twitpic

Eclipse:
    The very first self-sustaining tablet: the @HP #TouchPad runn... on Twitpic

WebOS Quick Install:
    @JayCanuck Ever think that WebOS Quick Install would ever be ... on Twitpic

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

TUTORIAL: How to get the UbuntuChroot up and running for your HP TouchPad

I put it on the WebOS Internals Wiki below. Feel free to correct any misspelling or anything.
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...t#Instructions
    Last edited by Rennat; 09/17/2011 at 02:55 AM.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    wow, that is an awesome write up!
  3.    #3  
    Thanks How do make urls plain text without the forum linking it and changing the original text (see Step 3). These forums don't support alot of the html codes like [Plain]

I found a work around...
    Last edited by Rennat; 08/20/2011 at 04:14 PM.
    - John Wayne
    That is impressive, good job! Makes me jealous that I did not get one in the fire sale.
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
    Nice tutorial is 200% better than mine
    -Travis Antonio
    Trakyng Games

Devices:
    -Motorola Atrix 4G (1.5 Ghz) (CM7 Neutrino) (Tegra Hack H^LLA POWERFUL)
    -Palm Pre Plus *DEAD*
    -Palm Pre Plus (Mom).

Never forget to say Thanks, God bless you all.
    thanks for this! i'm new to this whole ubuntu thing.. but i mainly wanted to use it for document editing. was there a way to sync a folder from ubuntu with box.net?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by phillytemptation View Post
    thanks for this! i'm new to this whole ubuntu thing.. but i mainly wanted to use it for document editing. was there a way to sync a folder from ubuntu with box.net?
    There would be 2 ways:
    -Install Chromium Browser and upload via that
    -Install Internalz Pro from Preware and move it over to /media/internal/ and then upload it via the Box.net app.

If you haven't gone through the tutorial yet you should go ahead and contact my Army of Monkeys in Step 1-B. Monkeys know how to save a lot of time.
    - John Wayne
    Great work! I need to backup the Touchpad, then meta-doctor it. Assume the BlueTooth keyboard works. I'll pick one up during the accessory sale on Monday. ... and I'll donate to homebrew.
    Last edited by dgdonovan; 08/20/2011 at 10:30 PM.
    Dan Donovan
    Quote Originally Posted by dgdonovan View Post
    Great work! I need to backup the Touchpad, then meta-doctor it. Assume the BlueTooth keyboard works. I'll pick one up during the accessory sale on Monday. ... and I'll donate to homebrew.
    good guide and yeah the bt keyboard works fine, some minor issues tho hopefully fixed eventually.
  10.    #10  
    Anyone using Chrome in chroot you can install this extension to add touchscreen scrolling to the browser: chromeTouch Google Chrome Extensions
    - John Wayne
    woodmaster likes this.
    Any particular recommendation on the size of the ext3 file system? The 2GB default partition size in the makefile seems a bit small. If it's only used to bootstrap, then it's fine. I intend to try to build armv7 binaries for the Touchpad, and possibly even experiment with the latest webkit.
    Dan Donovan
    This needs to be stickied...
    Rennat and Centrico like this.
    Any particular recommendation on the size of the ext3 file system? The 2GB default partition size in the makefile seems a bit small. If it's only used to bootstrap, then it's fine. I intend to try to build armv7 binaries for the Touchpad, and possibly even experiment with the latest webkit.
    2gb is for the imaged filesystems, any size for the metadoctored route, but im sticking to image files, i was looking into how easy/viable it woudl be for multiple boot images just with the OS/needed files, then having seperate home/apps and another seperate swap filesystem, so any main OS image would use the same apps/swap images without needing to have as many duplicates.

Meh dunno, still playing with tryign to find a environment i like, still cant "fat finger" my desktop widgets to my liking for a touchscreen, closest i rtied was that unity-2d setu, didnt like that, a netbook type approach is still far off a mostly touchscreen setup.
    Just a question form someone new and non knowledgeable like me...

why install ubuntu? :-)
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    2gb is for the imaged filesystems, any size for the metadoctored route, but im sticking to image files, i was looking into how easy/viable it woudl be for multiple boot images just with the OS/needed files, then having seperate home/apps and another seperate swap filesystem, so any main OS image would use the same apps/swap images without needing to have as many duplicates.

Meh dunno, still playing with tryign to find a environment i like, still cant "fat finger" my desktop widgets to my liking for a touchscreen, closest i rtied was that unity-2d setu, didnt like that, a netbook type approach is still far off a mostly touchscreen setup.
    With LXDE you can change the size of the menu bars and everything in preferences.

I don't know how to close out of the terminal window that comes up when you first launch it (if you close it, everything closes down), so I've just been moving it to desktop 2 though.

And I believe to get a terminal running in it you need to install GnomeTerminal. Otherwise though it's been working really well for me.

There's still the fact that dbus stuff is broken but Rod said someone was working on that I believe.

Another app you might want to mention in the first post is grdesktop. For those of us who need to use RDP occasionally to connect to Windows servers, it works well (though it doesn't remember settings at this time).
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post

Thanks. Initially, I was going to use an image file in /media/internal with a loop mount, but I see this approach causes issues. Guess I'll just experiment with the 2GB file system initially.
    Dan Donovan
    Thanks. Initially, I was going to use an image file in /media/internal with a loop mount, but I see this approach causes issues. Guess I'll just experiment with the 2GB file system initially.
    If you put the file in /media/cryptofs there should be no issues.
    I just went through all the steps and after editing the fstab... i type mount -a and i get

mount: mounting /dev/mapper/store/store-ext3fs on /media/ext3fs failed: No such file or directory

when i ls into media i see the ext3fs directory... i am not sure what i am doing wrong.. i just cut and pasted step by step and no errors come up until this step. lost

"edit: starting over... i think i missed the removing of # before create ext3fs.... crossing fingers as it loads"
    Last edited by sleepymas; 08/21/2011 at 01:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    With LXDE you can change the size of the menu bars and everything in preferences.

I don't know how to close out of the terminal window that comes up when you first launch it (if you close it, everything closes down), so I've just been moving it to desktop 2 though.

And I believe to get a terminal running in it you need to install GnomeTerminal. Otherwise though it's been working really well for me.

There's still the fact that dbus stuff is broken but Rod said someone was working on that I believe.

Another app you might want to mention in the first post is grdesktop. For those of us who need to use RDP occasionally to connect to Windows servers, it works well (though it doesn't remember settings at this time).
    you can change pretty much everythign except the size of the window widgets, close/minimise etc, they remain TINY, annoyingly so.

and i havent tried RDP yet, i was using xtightvncviewer.
    For those following the guide, when you compile meta doctor, don't forget to uncomment the part that actually sets up the ext3fs partition. It's around line 174 of the Makefile. (While you're at it, you might as well uncomment AUTO_INSTALL_PREWARE and INSTALL_SSH_AUTH_KEYS too, just to save yourself some time).
Page 1 of 30 123456 11 ... LastLast