Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
Like Tree88Likes
    Can you elaborate on the errors you are having? Did you try using novaterm instead of webOS quick install command line tool?
    Edit /etc/apt/sources.list and add multiverse and restricted to the existing line.

I then was able to install unrar and get Comix running, apt-get both, pulling my comics off the webos partition no less.

FBreader works wonderfully once you setup a swipe for enter to go in and out of fullscreen. Also pulling off my main storage.

Those two apps are the primary reason I don't like webos, no solid readers. Now I can use my ubuntu card for those two apps!

The script to start now mounts my media server via smb and the internal memory, I have access to all my media. This is simply amazing!

Now to get my Onkyo controllable with upnp streamers like my android tablet, and I'll be set!
    zane9000 likes this.
    I have not tried novaterm will try it
    one of the errors it keeps saying is that -p does not exist

edit: tried novaterm if i add literally one letter it shows an error

the exact error i am getting is when i type in
    mount -o remount,rw /
    mkdir -p /media/ext3fs

i enter it like this

i start by typing: mount -o remount,rw /
    i then hit the tab key and type: mkdir -p /media/ext3fs
    then i get the error: mount: invalid option -- 'p'
    Last edited by zerobahamut; 08/26/2011 at 12:30 AM.
    Does anyone understand what makes the keyboard go black and how to get it back?

also what is the difference between libreoffice Writer and AbiWord? I have tried Writer and it does not keep the formatting (ie bold) in Word. I did not try AbiWord.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by zerobahamut View Post
    i start by typing: mount -o remount,rw /
    i then hit the tab key and type: mkdir -p /media/ext3fs
    then i get the error: mount: invalid option -- 'p'
    Why are you hitting Tab? Those are two separate commands. It should be entered as:
    Code:
    mount -o remount,rw / <ENTER>
    mkdir -p /media/ext3fs <ENTER>
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Does anyone understand what makes the keyboard go black and how to get it back?

also what is the difference between libreoffice Writer and AbiWord? I have tried Writer and it does not keep the formatting (ie bold) in Word. I did not try AbiWord.

Thanks!
    LibreOffice is more of a full-featured Office replacement suite.

AbiWord is a lightweight Word editor. It doesn't have all the same features, but all of the basic stuff is there.
    onboard won't start for me; it seems like a silly error:
    Code:
    glib.GError: Icon 'onboard' not present in theme
    EDIT: xvkbd works but it is very flaky!
    In order to get tap-and-hold right-click functionality in LXDE and other GTK based environments, first install libgtkstylus:
    Code:
    apt-get install libgtkstylus
    Then set the GTK_MODULES environment variable before running LXDE:
    Code:
    export GTK_MODULES=libgtkstylus.so
    Also, anyone had any luck getting either lxterminal or roxterm to start in LXDE?
    Does anyone know if it would be possible to create a script that makes a new X-Server instance (or new X Window) on a seperate card and launches an appliction into this card? So for example I could have icons on my launcher that allowed me to fire up LibreOffice and a nice terminal into seperate cards and close them independantly.

If this is possible, how hard would it be? I've got some experience with C, C++ and bash scripting (though no linux application programming) so might be able to knock something together.
    Quote Originally Posted by qole View Post
    In order to get tap-and-hold right-click functionality in LXDE and other GTK based environments, first install libgtkstylus:
    Code:
    apt-get install libgtkstylus
    Then set the GTK_MODULES environment variable before running LXDE:
    Code:
    export GTK_MODULES=libgtkstylus.so
    Also, anyone had any luck getting either lxterminal or roxterm to start in LXDE?
    Awesome tip. I'm also fairly certain lxterminal worked for me, are you launching LXDE as a user?

I'd check, but I completely ruined my installation trying to make space (perhaps a little overzealous with my rm -rf) on 2GB partition.

EDIT: Also under the assumption your qole from TMO, any luck loading up hildon etc onto the chroot?
    Last edited by izzeho; 08/26/2011 at 04:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by snafle View Post
    Does anyone know if it would be possible to create a script that makes a new X-Server instance (or new X Window) on a seperate card and launches an appliction into this card? So for example I could have icons on my launcher that allowed me to fire up LibreOffice and a nice terminal into seperate cards and close them independantly.

If this is possible, how hard would it be? I've got some experience with C, C++ and bash scripting (though no linux application programming) so might be able to knock something together.
    We're planning that functionality for Xecutah in a future version.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We're planning that functionality for Xecutah in a future version.

-- Rod
    Can you (for starters) have tapping Chroot auto-start the xserver if one isn't open, even small things make it more practical (as is it just takes too long to get in and do something).
    Quote Originally Posted by izzeho View Post
    Can you (for starters) have tapping Chroot auto-start the xserver if one isn't open, even small things make it more practical (as is it just takes too long to get in and do something).
    Sure, but I was hoping that one of the influx of new developers would contribute a patch for that ...

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Sure, but I was hoping that one of the influx of new developers would contribute a patch for that ...

-- Rod
    Give it a bit more time for everyone to get the ropes of the dev environment and it'll start improving. The fact multiple players from the Maemo scenes have ended up here is a very good sign.

Me, well I'm just a bash script junkie with way too much spare time.
    Give it a bit more time for everyone to get the ropes of the dev environment and it'll start improving. The fact multiple players from the Maemo scenes have ended up here is a very good sign.

Me, well I'm just a bash script junkie with way too much spare time.
    The reason why I made Xecutah with a more general (but initially less convenient) architecture was so that we can support all kinds of chroot solutions and different distributions running in a card.

If devs are coming in from other distros and want to get involved, please make yourself known.

-- Rod
    I seem to be having trouble with the Ctrl key on my bluetooth keyboard. It works fine in WebOS but is completely unrecognized in Ubuntu. (Xev doesn't return anything when the key is pressed, but it doesn't return anything when Shift is pressed either and that works fine.)

There were a few keys I had to map manually (the arrow keys in particular), but I'm not sure how to go about fixing a key that has no xev output.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by qole View Post
    onboard won't start for me; it seems like a silly error:
    Code:
    glib.GError: Icon 'onboard' not present in theme
    EDIT: xvkbd works but it is very flaky!
    use Florence as a backup if onboard doesnt work, its worked on every desktop environment ive tried so far.
    Awesome tip. I'm also fairly certain lxterminal worked for me, are you launching LXDE as a user?

I'd check, but I completely ruined my installation trying to make space (perhaps a little overzealous with my rm -rf) on 2GB partition.

EDIT: Also under the assumption your qole from TMO, any luck loading up hildon etc onto the chroot?
    free what space u can from synaptic/similar and run BleachBit often to remove plenty of unused files, after some small additions/removals i ended up removing a good 920mb most times.
    For anyone wanting to auto start lxde as a certain user:

Code:
    echo 'su - <username> -c "startlxde"' >> /root/.bashrc
    From within an ubuntu chroot terminal. If you want to use novaterm, the file is located at:
    /media/ext3fs/ubuntu-natty-chroot/root/.bashrc

This will startup lxde as the username selected at boot.

Word of caution, remember to set your user account up with a password and setup the /etc/sudoers file to include that user, or else you will be stuck without root and have to undo the above line to get it root privs working.

Great thread, if we can get the ctrl / alt keys working on the virtual keyboard I would be a happy camper!
    ok so linux is up the problem i am having now is that the screen resolution of xserver it seems goes below the keyboard how do i adjust it? i can not get to the taskbar

got it im retarted...now to add some right click action!
    Last edited by zerobahamut; 08/26/2011 at 02:51 PM.
Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast