Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
Like Tree88Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by zane9000 View Post
    Use the date command
    Code:
    sudo date mmddhhmm
    where hh is in 24 hour format.
    Probably shouldn't do it this way, this will reset the system time and probably make the time wrong in WebOS. Instead, you should set your sytem timezone like this:
    Code:
    dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
    Quote Originally Posted by bradmont View Post
    Probably shouldn't do it this way, this will reset the system time and probably make the time wrong in WebOS. Instead, you should set your sytem timezone like this:
    Code:
    dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
    Ha! Yeah you are right WebOS clock is all screwed up now. I will kill my old post.
    I've gone through this process twice and I think I'm missing something because the ext3 partition doesn't get created, and the other actions that I uncomment don't take place either (auto-install Preware, etc). I'm able to download the meta-doctor, make it, and use it to image the Touchpad, but it seems to be completely ignoring my Makefile settings. I've attached a screenshot of it just in case someone else can identify a problem.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    That looks fine. You are using the newly built version of the webOS doctor (/meta-doctor/build/<name_and_version>/webosdoctorp302hstnhwifi.jar) and not the one you downloaded, right?
    bradmont, the layout you posted has the numberpad 'ent' button producing the letter 'l'. The keycode should be changed to 13 to match the return button. I'm not sure if you thought all the keys were correct or not, that is just one I ran into. Thanks so much for putting in the work!
    That looks fine. You are using the newly built version of the webOS doctor (/meta-doctor/build/<name_and_version>/webosdoctorp302hstnhwifi.jar) and not the one you downloaded, right?
    Nope. That's where I goofed. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    gnome works, lxde, xfce4 even a full blown unity-2d, not come accross anything it hasnt used successfully so far, im trying the lot 1 by 1.
    Hello geekpeter,

I am new to the forums having been one of the lucky ones to get a Touchpad and have got to say this is fantastic work! Just the type of stuff that was hoping to see. I also bring good tidings from the N900s talk.maemo forums (spiritual cousins to the Pre phones).

The touch is a lovely device and one hack that particularly interested me was the idea of running the Hildon desktop on my new toy. This is already available for both desktop PC distro's and for kubuntu, a finger friendly tablet version of Ubuntu.

So I was hoping to ask if it was possible for you to try Hildon too? If not, that is fine by me. I will no doubt get around to having a go myself. Just finding my way around the OS right now
    I wiped the partition and reinstalled via the original and zane9000's steps. First thing I did was create a user and do the script, once in lxde I tried to change font size, same error. Am I the only one getting this? Thanks for all the work on this, it's great!

"An error occured while saving the config file '/openbox/lxde-rc.xml"
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    in the lxde video..what are you typing to start lxde? I have to type startlxde to get it running but it looks like you are typing /go or something?
  10.    #130  
    Quote Originally Posted by Snooty View Post
    in the lxde video..what are you typing to start lxde? I have to type startlxde to get it running but it looks like you are typing /go or something?
    You are correct. I have a bash file setup to launch LXDE and a right click event that lets me use a right click.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    cool...this is so damn awesome. Is there a post somewhere in here that talks about setting up a right click event? I thought I saw a mention but cant remember what page.

One more question. Does linux need to have a proper shutdown of some kind or can i just close the card that is running?

EDIT: Found the right mouse click stuff
    Last edited by Snooty; 08/25/2011 at 07:54 PM.
    sepherous likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
    Hello geekpeter,

I am new to the forums having been one of the lucky ones to get a Touchpad and have got to say this is fantastic work! Just the type of stuff that was hoping to see. I also bring good tidings from the N900s talk.maemo forums (spiritual cousins to the Pre phones).

The touch is a lovely device and one hack that particularly interested me was the idea of running the Hildon desktop on my new toy. This is already available for both desktop PC distro's and for kubuntu, a finger friendly tablet version of Ubuntu.

So I was hoping to ask if it was possible for you to try Hildon too? If not, that is fine by me. I will no doubt get around to having a go myself. Just finding my way around the OS right now
    Can do, got some annoying work to finish then can spend time on that, I like the sound of the 'finger friendly" part, anything that makes life easier can only be good.
  13.    #133  
    cool...this is so damn awesome. Is there a post somewhere in here that talks about setting up a right click event? I thought I saw a mention but cant remember what page.

One more question. Does linux need to have a proper shutdown of some kind or can i just close the card that is running?

EDIT: Found the right mouse click stuff
    you can just throw it away. I guess you might collect un wanted data but it really doesn't matter.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Create a mount point
    Code:
    mkdir /mnt/vfat
    Add a line to /etc/fstab
    Code:
    /dev/mapper/store-media /mnt/vfat vfat defaults 0 0
    This should mount at reboot, if you want to mount immediately, use
    Code:
    mount /mnt/vfat
    is this in addition to, or is it in place of the mount instructions in the tutorial on page 1?
    thanks
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    you can just throw it away. I guess you might collect un wanted data but it really doesn't matter.
    Well I would prefer to do it the right way if there is one. Pressing the logoff/shutdown in LXDE just gives an error so I didnt really see a way. Sorry to be asking so many questions.
    bradmont, the layout you posted has the numberpad 'ent' button producing the letter 'l'. The keycode should be changed to 13 to match the return button. I'm not sure if you thought all the keys were correct or not, that is just one I ran into. Thanks so much for putting in the work!
    yeah, I know. There are a couple other errors too. I'll try to post an update soon.
    I'm going ahead with this tomorrow morning, so hope it goes well. I'll be sure to read everything a couple times before I start. Thanks for making me learn linux,lol.
    Well I would prefer to do it the right way if there is one. Pressing the logoff/shutdown in LXDE just gives an error so I didnt really see a way. Sorry to be asking so many questions.
    The biggest thing you will want to do is unmount any network drives you have added on. I have found that the mount points get a little fouled up if the card is just thrown away without unmounting first.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    is this in addition to, or is it in place of the mount instructions in the tutorial on page 1?
    thanks
    This is completely separate, we are dealing with two different file systems. The tutorial tells you want to do in the webOS file system, my instruction is what to do in the Ubuntu file system. That is, creat the directory in Ubuntu and edit the Ubuntu fstab.
    i just can NOT get step two to work for anything. What am i doing wrong? I am going onto webos quick install and adding all of the commands in the linux commandline but it will just not work.
    P.S. I am using the webosdoctor from army.of.monkeys
Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast