Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
Like Tree88Likes
  1.    #101  
    And the new LXDE video is up!

Video:
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Getting ready to re-install but I'd like to have 4GB instead of 2GB. Which lines in the makefile have to be changed and uncommented (thought I did it right last time I installed but I believe I still ended up with 2GB)?

Also could someone please test firefox on hulu.com site?

thanks!
    bradmont, thanks for all of your help, it's running great!

Have you tried other themes for the onboard keyboard? They have one called droid that looks a lot less like preschool I'm working on trying to get that theme working and the letters lining up correctly

As far as running the su - username -c "dbus-launch lxsession" immediately upon boot, can you share the .bashrc instructions?

bluenote, between firefox and chrome - firefox takes way more system resources and runs much slower than chrome.. when i go to hulu in either it says i need flashplayer
    Got a few other questions. Can I get access to the webos Media partition? All my ebooks are on that, and I'd like to use fbreader in ubuntu since it runs great full screen, without copying them all over.

And also, what do I need to get samba working so I can share my media servers to this little guy?

And also, hehe, why is the time wrong and how can I fix it? It's correct in webos.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Getting ready to re-install but I'd like to have 4GB instead of 2GB. Which lines in the makefile have to be changed and uncommented (thought I did it right last time I installed but I believe I still ended up with 2GB)?
    Uncomment "EXT3FS_PARTITION_SIZE=2GB" and change to "EXT3FS_PARTITION_SIZE=4GB"
    Also could someone please test firefox on hulu.com site?
    Quote Originally Posted by mjamus View Post
    bluenote, between firefox and chrome - firefox takes way more system resources and runs much slower than chrome.. when i go to hulu in either it says i need flashplayer
    Install gnash browser plugin to get flash support. It is really, really bad though. Youtube plays videos around 1fps and hulu gets stuck when trying to load the player...
    Quote Originally Posted by mjamus View Post
    As far as running the su - username -c "dbus-launch lxsession" immediately upon boot, can you share the .bashrc instructions?
    Create a file called .bashrc with that command in it. Put it in the /root directory. Reboot. When root logs in it should automatically execute any commands in the file.
    Quote Originally Posted by zane9000 View Post
    Uncomment "EXT3FS_PARTITION_SIZE=2GB" and change to "EXT3FS_PARTITION_SIZE=4GB"
    hmmn, did this last time but could have sworn the file manager program in LXDE said I only had 2GB.

When you uncomment the #, do you also delete the space?
    (I realize I am grasping at straws here as it worked last time for me, just seemed to be only 2GB.)
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelahess View Post
    Got a few other questions. Can I get access to the webos Media partition? All my ebooks are on that, and I'd like to use fbreader in ubuntu since it runs great full screen, without copying them all over.
    Create a mount point
    Code:
    mkdir /mnt/vfat
    Add a line to /etc/fstab
    Code:
    /dev/mapper/store-media /mnt/vfat vfat defaults 0 0
    This should mount at reboot, if you want to mount immediately, use
    Code:
    mount /mnt/vfat
    hmmn, did this last time but could have sworn the file manager program in LXDE said I only had 2GB.

When you uncomment the #, do you also delete the space?
    (I realize I am grasping at straws here as it worked last time for me, just seemed to be only 2GB.)
    Deleting the space makes no difference, leading spaces are ignored. As long as you get the # out of there you should be good. Perhaps it was saying 2GB were used?
    And also, hehe, why is the time wrong and how can I fix it? It's correct in webos.
    EDIT: Do this http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...ml#post3101074
    Last edited by zane9000; 08/25/2011 at 03:34 PM.
    This all works fantastic (I'm typing this in Ubuntu on my TP right now). I was wondering if there is a way to resize the installation after-the-fact. I really doubt there is, but I was just curious.

Thanks again for this awesome tutorial.
    Rennat likes this.
    And also, what do I need to get samba working so I can share my media servers to this little guy?
    You can brows samba shares by typing them directly into the default lxde file manager as smb://COMPUTER/SHARE.

EDIT: Scratch that... it looks like I am missing some libraries. If I get it working I will edit this again.

EDIT2: OK, so I can't get it to work with the file manager, but you can install smbfs and mount the drive manually:

Code:
    sudo mount -t smbfs -o username=<USER>,password=<PASS> //<iIP.ADDRESS.OF.DEVICE>/<SHARE>  /<MOUNTPOINT>
    Or you can add this to /etc/fstab to automount on login
    Code:
    //<iIP.ADDRESS.OF.DEVICE>/<SHARE>  /<MOUNTPOINT>  smbfs username=<USER>,password=<PASS>  0  0
    Last edited by zane9000; 08/25/2011 at 02:08 PM.
    For people with this working: Can you access the other areas of disk space on the touchpad.

Want to know if I could use an ubuntu torrent client to download to... say media/internal (instead of the ext partition created via the doctor).
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post
    For people with this working: Can you access the other areas of disk space on the touchpad.

Want to know if I could use an ubuntu torrent client to download to... say media/internal (instead of the ext partition created via the doctor).
    Yep. Read this page...
    Whoops, my bad.

Is there any danger of repeatedly auto-mounting the drive? I'm more concerned about the fact that Ubuntu runs in a card, and may not dismount correctly when that card is dismissed.
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post
    Whoops, my bad.

Is there any danger of repeatedly auto-mounting the drive? I'm more concerned about the fact that Ubuntu runs in a card, and may not dismount correctly when that card is dismissed.
    Hmm... I't sure. If you are worried about it you can always
    Code:
    sudo umount /mnt/vfat
    before closing the card.

I think I will eventually create a logout script that will clean up stuff like that so you can "shutdown" before closing the card.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Amazing work i was trying to do this on my day one TP but failed, i will be trying again when i get my firesale TP.. thx for the great work!
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I found out where I went wrong. Missed out part of the webosdr setup. I started over and now I get the penguin on boot up and the drive is mounted correctly without having to mount -a each time from a PC.

I did have a brief moment of panic when I couldn't connect with novacmd, I reinstalled, rebooted pc and touchpad and found a different usb cab... but I'd forgot to put it back in developer mode :|
    Is there any benefit to making the drive larger then 2 gig?
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?