Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
Like Tree88Likes
    OK, now that I have easystroke working I am half tempted to recreate Palm Graffiti...
    mjamus, to get rid of the keyboard you need to install Tweaks from preware. That will allow you to choose any size keyboard (or none at all).
    Quote Originally Posted by bradmont View Post
    It does look nice, but I'll take something that works any day.

(we could always pretty up onboard, the background is just an svg file)
    oh nice, also yeah the youtube clips look like its working well, n1.
    tbh, ocnce many people here have stable/fast/good working setups it wont be that hard to just create a step by step script to install the required programs then after that stuff in customised settings for the whole thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjamus View Post
    bradmont, that all looks great! Could you elaborate on the specifics of how you got it to that point? I've got shell access, installed some apps and run them but i'm far away from what your looking at.. including getting rid of the webOS keyboard.. etc.

This is awesome by the way and everything runs amazingly great.

Here is pretty much what I did:
    - install ubuntu, as this tutorial says
    - install aptitude:
    Code:
    apt-get install aptitude
    - use aptitude to install several packages:
    Code:
    aptitude install lxde easystroke onboard wmctrl
    Create a user account,
    Code:
    adduser <username>
    and create a script to start your session that looks like this:
    Code:
    su - <username> -c "dbus-launch lxsession"
    fire up that script to get to your desktop

Download the keymap (Default.onboard) that I posted before (if you don't your keyboard will be garbled), and stick it in /usr/share/onboard/layouts
    Download the script I posted that launches onboard (obwrap.sh) and put it in /usr/local/bin. then make it executable:
    Code:
    chmod +x /usr/local/bin/obwrap.sh
    Launch easystroke from the lxde menu and set up an action of type "Command" that executes obwrap.sh. Make the gesture something you find convenient -- for mine, I have it swipe diagonally down and left, then back up to the right. Under easystroke preferences, check "Show tray icon" and "Autostart easystroke" (if you don't autostart, you'll have to run it from the menu each time)

Make sure this gesture works to bring up your keyboard. If it does, then you can launch the Tweaks app from preware (install it if you haven't already), find the settings for xserver under System, and set virtual keyboard type to off, since you now have a nice virtual keyboard in Ubuntu!

Using easyswipe, set up gestures for scrolling, right & middle clicking.

As for other gestures that are non-trivial, here are couple I find handy:

close active window: type: Command, command "wmctrl -c :ACTIVE:"
    switch to desktop 0, 1, 2...: Command "wmctrl -s 0", replace 0 with desktop #

You will probably also want to fiddle with your lxde settings to make the menu bar a bit bigger; mine is 35px instead of 24, which seems to be big enough.

To have the desktop autostart, right now I'm just running my start script from root's .bashrc, but this is the Wrong Way (TM). Once development stabilizes, it would be best to build it straight into the ubuntu launch app from Xecauth.

Hope this helps, and that I haven't forgotten anything!
    qole, Willard and abzvn like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by zane9000 View Post
    OK, now that I have easystroke working I am half tempted to recreate Palm Graffiti...
    haha, I was thinking exactly the same thing. But I think the keyboard is a lot more efficient... though I have stolen some of those letters for gestures -- like the x to close a window.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    so the partition is only 2gb right? Wouldnt it be really easy to hit that size? I just got it up and running and have been installing stuff and playing around and I was just curious about that. Thanks for the great tutorial!
    Rennat likes this.
    You can make the partition any size you want with meta doctor...
  9.    #89  
    I'm uploading a new video tonight on the further in LXDE desktop environment!!! Show casing a few different mods I've done to, like the /Go script, the Chromium touchscreen extension, and more!!! Will update the main post tomorrow morning
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    I keep getting a save error for the openbox config when I try to change font sizes. I've created another new user and get the same thing. I can change settings fine under root. Any thoughts on why?
    slap box.net into your startup as well, its more "Synergy" for touchpad <> ubuntu <> pc's

Install with

sudo apt-get install davfs2
    mkdir /media/box.net

now in your startup script add in

mount -t davfs http://www.box.net/dav /media/box.net

it will ask for username/password, to avoid this make a file in..

/etc/davfs2

edit/create a file called

secrets

and enter the following

http://www.box.net/dav {boxnet account email/name} {thepassword}

something like

http://www.box.net/dav myrandomemail.com myrandompassword

save it and launch as usual, you should be able to slap /media/box.net into a filemanager etc and bam, your box.net as extra shared 50gb storage.
    So gnash is pretty terrible. YouTube videos are practically unplayable. Just for kicks I grabbed the webOS plugin and associated libraries and dumped them into Ubuntu. While chromium agrees that I have an up-to-date flash player in chrome : plugins, youtube argues that I need to get it from adobe still.
    Any ideas on how to improve gnash performance?
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    slap box.net into your startup as well, its more "Synergy" for touchpad <> ubuntu <> pc's
    When I did this I found it was essential to add:
    Code:
    umount /media/box.net
    just before the mount command in a startup script. If does not close cleanly (ie just throwing away the card... which is the only way I know how to do it...) the mount point will be screwed up until you run the umount command.
    also a working vnc client so far is

sudo apt-get install xtightvncviewer

then launch with

xtightvncviewer -encodings "copyrect tight" <IP ADDRESS: ie 192.168.0.1>

should work fine, do have some issues with the scroll bars atm tho, fullscreening it and making my 2nd pc monitor 1024x768 works wonders tho and dumb fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by zane9000 View Post
    When I did this I found it was essential to add:
    Code:
    umount /media/box.net
    just before the mount command in a startup script. If does not close cleanly (ie just throwing away the card... which is the only way I know how to do it...) the mount point will be screwed up until you run the umount command.
    ive been using umount -l /media/box.net

had regular umounts fail before and knacker up my startups, im also not using a proper metadoctor approach, im using image files for bootup, i always keep diff installs and a blank/basic "just chrooted" image.

have

lxde.img
    gnome.img
    xfce4.img
    blankchroot.img

im working off them atm, i just umount whatever 1 im using and mount a different 1, if anything goes bang, i just umount/delete the image, and cp blankchroot.img back to whatever i deleted, its good enough while im trying lots of stuff out.
    Last edited by geekpeter; 08/25/2011 at 01:30 AM.
    If there isn't already, I wouldn't mind a guide for how to reset the partitions in the event one would like to uninstall ubuntu and give the space back to the media partition.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I have it installed and it works... BUT, each time I want to run ubuntu I have to connect the touchpad to my PC, run the quickinstaller, open terminal and do the mount -a command there.

I'm new to the command line and my experience with linux is mainly just installing it, playing around and then getting bored and going back to window's so I'm not sure if this should work but I tried running xserver then xterm and doing the mount -a command from the touchpad but I get file not found errors

Can I just uninstall ubuntuchroot, preform the steps to change the fstab again and then reinstall ubuntuchroot to fix it?
    If you modified your fstab correctly you should not need to do mount -a. Every time the touchpad boots it will mount the needed drives. The mount -a command is only for the first run so you dont need to reboot the touchpad. After either doing mount -a once or rebooting the touchpad you should be good to go.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    What size partitions are you all using?
    When I get some time I have to run through bradmont's list
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    I am using 5GB, I am regretting not making it larger. In fact, now Im regretting not spending the extra $50 on a 32 gig...
Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast