Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
Like Tree88Likes
    bradmont: how did you get easystroke working? I tried installing it with apt-get and it refuses to run due to an 'std::logic_error'.

geekpeter: This right click does not seem to be working. Using it over the empty desktop opens a menu to switch desktops, using it over an icon gives no response, using it on a link in chromium opens in a new tab. Could this be emulating the middle button? I tried switching to pointer_button3 with no success.
    Quote Originally Posted by zane9000 View Post
    bradmont: how did you get easystroke working? I tried installing it with apt-get and it refuses to run due to an 'std::logic_error'.

geekpeter: This right click does not seem to be working. Using it over the empty desktop opens a menu to switch desktops, using it over an icon gives no response, using it on a link in chromium opens in a new tab. Could this be emulating the middle button? I tried switching to pointer_button3 with no success.
    im pretty sure either Pointer_Button2 or Pointer_Button3 was the right one to use, try 1-3 i may have goofed the number.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    It should be Pointer_Button3 since the standard is left, middle, right for 1,2,3...have to try it
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Ah, you need to add:

#!/bin/bash
    as the first line in the script and then it is button3.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    It should be Pointer_Button3 since the standard is left, middle, right for 1,2,3...have to try it
    im from teh land of amiga/pc, to me in my head it would be 1=left, 2=right, 3=middle, so yeah ive just assumed and knackered it up, cheers m8.

and yeah i forgot about the lin1 as well honestly i need sleep, 2 whole days up.
    The first line is not strickly required and the script ran without it. I added it just for good measure and switched to pointer button3 with the same results as before.
    Just for kicks I tried to map the key as button1 and still got the same results. As far as I know modmap supports 10 buttons, I will start trying them all to see what happens....
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    I tried it and it works fine for me but will mysteriously stop working after a bit. I just re-enter the keymap and it's starts working again.

I used 96 per geekpeter which is ` on my symbols keyboard (US keyboard) so I hit the symbol button then ` and i get a right-click.
    ittl do till some1 finds a program that achieves better results and works on all flavours of xfce4/lxde/gnome/etc without crashing, same for virtual keyboards, i found an ideal one called Literki, looked ideal working as a transparant background overlay with keys on top, swipe gestures to bring the k/b up and dismiss, but it just fails to launch on my environments atm, not found a fix yet.
    OK, ignore me. About 3 posts ago I meantioned that it would be a good idea to drop the script into the /bin directory so it would be in the default path. I had completely forgotten about that and had been editing the script in my home directory... Im going to go sit in the corner now...
    OK, ignore me. About 3 posts ago I meantioned that it would be a good idea to drop the script into the /bin directory so it would be in the default path. I had completely forgotten about that and had been editing the script in my home directory... Im going to go sit in the corner now...
    shhhh, just say youve been up all night like me and your having a temporary brainfart.
    zane9000 likes this.

zane9000, hmm, it just worked for me. Can you post the whole error (was there any more info than that)? Looks like a pretty generic exception, so more context would help.
    There's an update to XServer today that lets you select the keyboard and xserver size, so you can disable it altogether. Has anyone gotten an on-screen keyboard working? I've tried several without success, but once that's done we can set up a script to auto-launch lxde (or whatever) and everything should be golden.

So far I've tried the following keyboards without success:
    onboard: keyboard layout is mangled
    Literki: fails with "FATAL: Failed to initialize!"
    Maliit: was unable to install (though this one looks quite nice, it's from MeeGo)
    [QUOTE=bradmont;3094597]zane9000, hmm, it just worked for me. Can you post the whole error (was there any more info than that)? Looks like a pretty generic exception, so more context would help. [/QUOT

Here's what I've got:
    Code:
    root@Toochpood:/# easystroke 
    terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::logic_error'
      what():  basic_string::_S_construct NULL not valid
    Aborted
    root@Toochpood:/#
    I uninstalled and reinstalled with synaptic and got the same result.
    Ahh, I see the problem, it's getting angry because you're running as root*. Generally running your desktop as root is frowned upon. You can fix it by adding a user account:

Code:
    $ adduser zane
    Then, to start your window manager, run:
    Code:
    $ su - zane -c lxsession 
    OR, if you want to use onboard (this is essentially my start script):
    $ su - zane -c dbus-start lxsession
    (assuming you're using lxde)

Also, once you've got easyswipe running, you can set it to auto-start when you start your window manager.

*this isn't actually the problem, but fixing it will fix your problem. If you *really* want to run as root, just run this before you start easystroke:
    Code:
    export HOME=/root
    Last edited by bradmont; 08/24/2011 at 12:48 PM.
    I've made some progress with onboard. Essentially I needed to make a new keyboard layout since key codes are different on the touchpad than on a PC. At this point it's got almost everything except symbols on the number keys (and other keys where shift changes the symbol) working (I've posted a question to the onboard development community to try to figure this out.) I've attached the layout as it is now (you'll have to remove the .txt from the filename).

EDIT: I've replaced this with an updated version that just adds a new pane with the symbols, so they're all there and working now. It's not quite perfect, but almost. At this point I'm going to try running without the WebOS onscreen keyboard and using only onboard. I'll post an update on how it works out later.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bradmont; 08/24/2011 at 03:05 PM.
    qole likes this.
    D'Oh! I should know better than that. Yes, now everything seems to be working. Thanks so much!
    i still think literki looks a better method IF the thing worked, ive seen some but not many OLD posts knocking aroudn where people just recompiled it and it worked, i wouldnt mind testing that just once tbh, i mean its got swipe gestures and stuff and a nice overlay thing going on.
    This is working really, really well. Between onboard and easyswipe, the system is very usable; there is very little missing, besides rotation. Once the internals get RandR working in the X server, this will be totally killer! Here are a couple of videos:

EDIT: vbulletin won't let me post links since I don't have 10 posts yet, but here are the youtube video URLs:
    youtube.com/watch?v=dsbvvrNTGRc
    youtube.com/watch?v=TNMs4viFA4Y

The only bits I'd like to improve are:
    - getting onboard to be sticky on all desktops by default (setting it with wmctrl doesn't seem to be working)
    - a login screen for multiple users. (haven't tried to do this yet)

If you are going to try easyswipe, these are some gestures I find useful:

toggle onboard (I've attached a script to call from easyswipe)
    scrolling
    right click, middle click
    launch xterm
    with wmctrl:
    close active window
    switch to desktop 1, 2, 3... by drawing the number on screen
    show desktop

If you have other ideas, please post them!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    i still think literki looks a better method IF the thing worked, ive seen some but not many OLD posts knocking aroudn where people just recompiled it and it worked, i wouldnt mind testing that just once tbh, i mean its got swipe gestures and stuff and a nice overlay thing going on.
    It does look nice, but I'll take something that works any day.

(we could always pretty up onboard, the background is just an svg file)
    bradmont, that all looks great! Could you elaborate on the specifics of how you got it to that point? I've got shell access, installed some apps and run them but i'm far away from what your looking at.. including getting rid of the webOS keyboard.. etc.

This is awesome by the way and everything runs amazingly great.
Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast