Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
Like Tree88Likes
    Will I still be able to boot in WebOS or will my Touchpad be Ubuntu only now?
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by john_robot View Post
    Will I still be able to boot in WebOS or will my Touchpad be Ubuntu only now?
    No, Ubuntu will be running on top of WebOS or in other words you will have Ubuntu inside a card on the WebOS desktop.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    I am getting to the make part of step 1 and am getting this error :

make unpack patch pack
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/jeff/meta-doctor'
    mkdir -p downloads
    Please download the correct version of the webOS Doctor .jar file
    and then move it to downloads/webosdoctorp302hstnhwifi-3.0.2.jar (i.e. the downloads directory that was just created under the current directory).
    make[1]: *** [downloads/webosdoctorp302hstnhwifi-3.0.2.jar] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jeff/meta-doctor'
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    I believe I am doing something wrong when I am renaming the file. I have a touchpad with 3.0.2 installed so I am downloading this webdoctor file :

webosdoctorp302hstnhwifi.jar

I am then renaming it to "webosdoctorp100ewwbellmo-1.3.5.1.jar" like suggested in the tutorial.

What am I doing wrong? Thank you.
    Last edited by john_robot; 08/22/2011 at 06:59 PM.
    I am getting to the make part of step 1 and am getting this error :

I believe I am doing something wrong when I am renaming the file. I have a touchpad with 3.0.2 installed so I am downloading this webdoctor file :

webosdoctorp302hstnhwifi.jar

I am then renaming it to "webosdoctorp100ewwbellmo-1.3.5.1.jar" like suggested in the tutorial.

What am I doing wrong? Thank you.
    What you are doing wrong is that you are not supposed to rename it to what is said in the tutorial, that was an example. In your case, you should rename it to:

webosdoctorp302hstnhwifi-3.0.2.jar

Try that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    how do I start unity? Any way to have it launch automatically?
    unity-2d-launcher
    Quote Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
    You might also check out LXlauncher - nice, big icons instead of teeny, little start menu.
    legend, ill give that some attention shortly.
    Quote Originally Posted by zane9000 View Post
    Thanks for this! I have mine running nicely with LXDE. Any idea how to get right click working?
    still googling and browsign through synaptic for mouse emulation programs to remap rightmouse to something else, there was one hopeful but it crashed the whole environment. still looking.

try looking for "mouse emu", type things in synaptic, also suggest change the mouse double click delay to 450+ for me at least it helps when stabbing the screen with my finger.
    I've been playing with this a lot, working on getting a nicely running system. I've made some progress. A few things I've found helpful:

* using LXDD as my inteface
    * using easystroke for gestures. It actually quite good, though not perfect (eg, to scroll, you have to do a gesture to activate and then you can drag to scroll).
    * RIGHT CLICK: using easystroke, I made a gesture that is essentially a short drag left-right-left (like a backwards z, but not moving down), gesture type is button -> Button 3.
    * ESCAPE/ARROW KEYS: Even with onboard not totally working (see below) I managed to make an easystroke gesture mapped to escape, so I can use vim. The same thing works for arrow keys, like up, so you can use command history in terminals.
    *KEYBOARD: My goal is to switch entirely to an on-screen keyboard provided by Ubuntu, and then set up full-screen, no webos keyboard version of the X server. I've made some progress, but it's not working yet. What I've done:
    - install onboard
    - create a gesture in easystroke to launch onboard (gesture type is command, command is "onboard -l /usr/share/layots/Default.onboard")
    - At first onboard was giving me an error about not being able to connect to dbus; to fix this, you need to launch LXDE with: "dbus-launch lxsession"

At this point, onboard launches, but most of the keys are garbled. It does, however, give you access to meta and function keys (alt, ctrl, win, etc). I have tried different layouts, but they all have the same result.

Once onboard is actually working, I plan to write a script to connect to the gesture, so that instead of just launching it every time (which takes a second or two) it will:
    - launch onboard if it is not running
    - if onboard is running and visible, minimize it with wmctrl
    - if onboard is running and minimized, restore it with wmctrl

If anyone has any ideas how I can get onboard working right, please let me know!
    Last edited by bradmont; 08/22/2011 at 08:32 PM.
    qole likes this.
    nice progress, ill have a try of some of that as well, but yeah theres a lot that needs configured to get past some of the keybaord quirks.
    One more question. Now I am inbetween Step 1-A and Step 2.

Where is says "Once the Meta Doctor is done, run the Web's Doctor it created under the 'builds' folder. And setup your device" I am supposed to run Web Doctor and re-flash the OS onto the touchpad correct? I did this and it boots fine and displays the linux penguin when it boots into Webos, but when I connect the device to my computer to use Quick Install for preWare I can no longer get my computer to detect my Touchpad....

Where is says "Once the Meta Doctor is done, run the Web's Doctor it created under the 'builds' folder. And setup your device" I am supposed to run Web Doctor and re-flash the OS onto the touchpad correct? I did this and it boots fine and displays the linux penguin when it boots into Webos, but when I connect the device to my computer to use Quick Install for preWare I can no longer get my computer to detect my Touchpad....
    click the button in quickinstall to reinstall novacomm drivers, see if that helps.
  12.    #52  

Enable Dev mode. It could be the novacom drivers but most likely dev mode because new doctors (except if you uncheck it in the meta doctor) will come un enabled.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    geekpeter likes this.
    Finally I can edit office documents. Thanks!
    to anyone who needs a working "rightmouse function" and you have LXDE try the following from the chroot cli before you started LXDE.

install a small package like so

sudo apt-get install xkbset

Now in your text editor (leafpad or whatever) make a script file at root, i did leafpad /go to make a script called GO

enter the following spiel

#!/bin/bash
    xmodmap -e "keycode 96 = Pointer_Button3"
    xkbset m
    startlxde

edit: coudl be either, not sure atm, Pointer_Button1 or Pointer_Button2 or Pointer_Button3

save the file then type

chmod /go +x
    or
    chmod +x /go

i forget which, im very tired atm.

now just type /go when your inside LXDE press the key above tab / to the left of the number 1, in my case thats an unused key i dont use, and wham, rightmouse should work.

im sure that can be saved somewhere permanant, but id rather stick to the easy route atm, ittl do till i get a proerp ctrl+leftmouse thign going on, and the programs iev tried that do that have been a tad unstable or had bits missing.

Ongoing AMENDED: due to stupidity and tiredness.
    Last edited by geekpeter; 08/23/2011 at 02:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    to anyone who needs a working "rightmouse function" and you have LXDE try the following from the chroot cli before you started LXDE....

This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you so much! For those that don't know, you can figure out the key code for whatever button you want by typing 'xev' into the terminal.

Also, putting the script in the /bin/ folder makes life a easier since typing ./ on the touchpad is slightly inconvenient...
    Quote Originally Posted by zane9000 View Post
    This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you so much! For those that don't know, you can figure out the key code for whatever button you want by typing 'xev' into the terminal.

Also, putting the script in the /bin/ folder makes life a easier since typing ./ on the touchpad is slightly inconvenient...
    good plan.
    Has anybody actually gotten gnome to work? Tried it for fun, and it fails with 5 packages not installing, something about avahi-daemon not being configured.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwulff View Post
    Has anybody actually gotten gnome to work? Tried it for fun, and it fails with 5 packages not installing, something about avahi-daemon not being configured.
    others may have already, ill give it a try now as well, quick break from mashing F5 on the keyboard all day, need a break .
    Unity-2d looks like a good match.

Anyone have any videos/pics of unity running on a touchpad? I'd love to see it in action.
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    Anyone have luck with getting unity-2d to do anything? I get the launcher up, but nothing 'clicks'.
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast