webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developers >  webOS Development > TUTORIAL: How to get Ubuntu on the TouchPad
TUTORIAL: How to get Ubuntu on the TouchPad
Like Tree88Likes

Old 10/29/2012, 11:12 AM   #561 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
is it still the same after a full reboot of the device, rather than a luna restart? im a bit dumbfounded atm, the only other thing i can think of, offhand is the fstab entry not being correct, or the /media/ext3fs folder not being present but youve already seen and done both so can discount that.

anyone else have an idea?
I double checked a device restart just this morning, still having the same problem. I will check the fstab again and let you know what is written at the bottom word for word. Which etc directory should the fstab file be in. I have noticed that there are a few of those directories in other folders. Also, what should my /media/ext3fs folder look like? I am also baffled by the fact that this partition won't mount.

EDIT:

I looked into the fstab file under the /etc directory and this is what it says:

# fstab auto-generated by trenchcoat
# <filesystem> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
rootfs / ext3 ro,suid,dev,exec,auto,nouser,async,noatime 1 1
/dev/mapper/store-var /var ext3 noatime,data=writeback 0 0
/dev/mapper/store-cryptodb /var/db ext3 noauto,noatime,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/mapper/store-cryptofilecache /var/file-cache ext3 noauto,noatime,user_xattr 0 0
/dev/mapper/store-log /var/log ext3 noatime 0 0
/dev/mapper/store-update /var/lib/update ext3 noauto,noatime 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs size=40M,mode=1777 0 0
tmpfs /var/run tmpfs size=16M,mode=1777 0 0
tmpfs /var/tmp tmpfs size=32M,mode=1777 0 0
tmpfs /media/ram tmpfs defaults 0 0
/dev/mapper/store-media /media/internal vfat utf8,shortname=mixed,umask=0000 0 0
/dev/mapper/store-ext3fs /media/ext3fs noatime,data=writeback 0 0

Last edited by JBuchanan8829; 10/29/2012 at 11:23 AM. Reason: New information
JBuchanan8829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2012, 12:15 PM   #562 (permalink)

Is /dev/mapper/store-ext3fs looking for the fstab file in the /media/ext3fs directory?
Old 10/29/2012, 12:27 PM   #563 (permalink)

Quote:
is it still the same after a full reboot of the device, rather than a luna restart? im a bit dumbfounded atm, the only other thing i can think of, offhand is the fstab entry not being correct, or the /media/ext3fs folder not being present but youve already seen and done both so can discount that.

anyone else have an idea?
IT MOUNTED!!!! I didn't have ext3 in my coding for the fstab file. I will let you know of the outcome.
Old 10/29/2012, 03:23 PM   #564 (permalink)

hope you get that working.
Old 10/29/2012, 11:03 PM   #565 (permalink)

Quote:
I got it working. Thank you very much for your help.
Liked by geekpeter likes this.
Old 11/02/2012, 04:08 PM   #566 (permalink)

Quote:
So, I decided to doctor it back to the original because I couldn't get the sound to run on Ubuntu. So, I decided to try it the method that you mentioned in this topic before. I added Internalz Pro and Tailor again. I created the partition. Then, I went into Internalz Pro, added the directory /media/ext3fs, edited the fstab to include the line /dev/mapper/store-ext3fs /media/ext3fs ext3 noatime,data=writeback 0 0" >>, and mounted the partition. Is there anything else that I need to do before I install Ubuntu?
Old 11/02/2012, 04:25 PM   #567 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBuchanan8829 View Post
So, I decided to doctor it back to the original because I couldn't get the sound to run on Ubuntu. So, I decided to try it the method that you mentioned in this topic before. I added Internalz Pro and Tailor again. I created the partition. Then, I went into Internalz Pro, added the directory /media/ext3fs, edited the fstab to include the line /dev/mapper/store-ext3fs /media/ext3fs ext3 noatime,data=writeback 0 0" >>, and mounted the partition. Is there anything else that I need to do before I install Ubuntu?
as long as ext3fs is ready to go ittl work, also you doctored for no reason if all you had was no sound, you just needed to run gamix and scroll far right to 1 of the volume sliders which for you was probably on low/mute, or you were using alsa instead of pulseaudio, it should work perfectly if you used the Autoconfig install script mentioned several posts back immediatly after installing ubuntu 11.04.

or maybe your clashing with OSS/ALSA/Pulseaudio and only 1 will work right, im using xubuntu atm and i have to totally disable/uninstall pulseaudio or i get no sound.

Last edited by geekpeter; 11/02/2012 at 05:34 PM.
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/02/2012, 07:32 PM   #568 (permalink)

Quote:
as long as ext3fs is ready to go ittl work, also you doctored for no reason if all you had was no sound, you just needed to run gamix and scroll far right to 1 of the volume sliders which for you was probably on low/mute, or you were using alsa instead of pulseaudio, it should work perfectly if you used the Autoconfig install script mentioned several posts back immediatly after installing ubuntu 11.04.

or maybe your clashing with OSS/ALSA/Pulseaudio and only 1 will work right, im using xubuntu atm and i have to totally disable/uninstall pulseaudio or i get no sound.
Yeah, that was my original thought as well so I actually tried all of that but I could only get the soundnto work in the webos side of the install. I think I tried to install things before I did the autoconfig. I tried to install Ubuntu but I am getting an error. Is there something specific I need in the ext3fs?
Old 11/02/2012, 07:41 PM   #569 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah, that was my original thought as well so I actually tried all of that but I could only get the soundnto work in the webos side of the install. I think I tried to install things before I did the autoconfig. I tried to install Ubuntu but I am getting an error. Is there something specific I need in the ext3fs?
nope as long as the partitions there, mounted and works, and you did the stuff from earlier, you have xecutah installed then ubuntu should install np like before.
Old 11/03/2012, 01:27 PM   #570 (permalink)

Quote:
nope as long as the partitions there, mounted and works, and you did the stuff from earlier, you have xecutah installed then ubuntu should install np like before.
So, I think I need to look into that Tailor topic a little more because I am still having difficulty figuring out what I am doing wrong.
Old 11/03/2012, 01:47 PM   #571 (permalink)

typically, you unmount your media/internal, check its filesystem, resize it by however much you want to dedicate to linux, then let it resize, then when you create a new filesystem, it should autoselect ext3fs and automagically make it the size you just free'd up, after all thats done just mount both media/internal and ext3fs back, make sure fstab has the ext3fs as before then you should up up and running.

shouldnt be too far off what you did last time, only you wont need the terminal window, its only tailor you have to familiarise yourself with.
Old 11/03/2012, 04:04 PM   #572 (permalink)

Quote:
typically, you unmount your media/internal, check its filesystem, resize it by however much you want to dedicate to linux, then let it resize, then when you create a new filesystem, it should autoselect ext3fs and automagically make it the size you just free'd up, after all thats done just mount both media/internal and ext3fs back, make sure fstab has the ext3fs as before then you should up up and running.

shouldnt be too far off what you did last time, only you wont need the terminal window, its only tailor you have to familiarise yourself with.
Interesting. Yeah, I deleted the ext3fs partition, resized it back into the /media/internal, resized it again, created the ext3fs partition, rechecked the fstab to verify that the /dev/mapper/store-ext3fs /media/ext3fs ext3 noatime,data=writeback 0 0, and I mounted the partition. However, I tried to install the ubuntu chroot 11.04 and I get an IPKG error. Did I miss something?
Old 11/03/2012, 04:14 PM   #573 (permalink)

What was the error, the bit in red is the useful info.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

Last edited by geekpeter; 11/03/2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11/03/2012, 04:24 PM   #574 (permalink)

Quote:
What was the error, the bit in red is the useful info.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

Begin
Nothing Interesting.
Verify
Nothing Interesting.
Failed
-1: Unable to run command: /usr/bin/curl --user-agent Preware --create-dirs --location --fail --show-error --output /media/internal/.developer/org.webosinternals.ubuntu-natty-chroot_11.04-9_arm.ipk http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-...1.04-9_arm.ipk 2>&1
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
25 61.4M 25 15.6M 0 0 259k 0 0:04:02 0:01:01 0:03:01 488k
26 61.4M 26 16.0M 0 0 262k 0 0:03:59 0:01:02 0:02:57 481k
curl: (18) transfer closed with 47595481 bytes remaining to read

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad
Old 11/03/2012, 04:35 PM   #575 (permalink)

Quote:
Begin
Nothing Interesting.
Verify
Nothing Interesting.
Failed
-1: Unable to run command: /usr/bin/curl --user-agent Preware --create-dirs --location --fail --show-error --output /media/internal/.developer/org.webosinternals.ubuntu-natty-chroot_11.04-9_arm.ipk http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-...1.04-9_arm.ipk 2>&1
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
25 61.4M 25 15.6M 0 0 259k 0 0:04:02 0:01:01 0:03:01 488k
26 61.4M 26 16.0M 0 0 262k 0 0:03:59 0:01:02 0:02:57 481k
curl: (18) transfer closed with 47595481 bytes remaining to read

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad
no fault of your own, this can happen with large packages of any kind, just means your connection choked your end or theirs when downloading, ive sometimes had this as well, just download the file to your PC and use webosQuickInstall (i have v4.4.0, not sure whats current offhand) to install the ipk that way, it will work.

http://ipkg.preware.org:8080/feeds/w...1.04-9_arm.ipk

download that file, and install the ipk you downloaded with webosquickinstall which ive linked below, it should work flawlessly this time.

http://forums.webosnation.com/canuck...-v4-4-0-a.html
Old 11/03/2012, 04:43 PM   #576 (permalink)

Quote:
no fault of your own, this can happen with large packages of any kind, just means your connection choked your end or theirs when downloading, ive sometimes had this as well, just download the file to your PC and use webosQuickInstall (i have v4.4.0, not sure whats current offhand) to install the ipk that way, it will work.

download that file, and install the ipk you downloaded with webosquickinstall which ive linked below, it should work flawlessly this time.

Sounds good. I'll give it a go.
Old 11/04/2012, 08:33 PM   #577 (permalink)

Quote:

Alright, so here's an update. I tried to install Ubuntu from the computer and as I was downloaded it, I got a corrupted package error. So, I tried multiple wifi zone and a hard line but still I am getting a corrupted package error. Is there something wrong with the actual package on Quick Installer and maybe preware? I am currently trying to download the package you linked to manually to see if that works. How would I go about using the package I download manually to the computer?

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured out what you meant. Thanks again. I will update you on the progress.

Last edited by JBuchanan8829; 11/04/2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11/05/2012, 08:17 AM   #578 (permalink)

Quick install has an install button to let you install via the ipk file downloaded to pc.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
Old 11/05/2012, 10:53 AM   #579 (permalink)

Quote:
Quick install has an install button to let you install via the ipk file downloaded to pc.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
Sorry, I didn't bold my edit. I actually did figure it out and got ubuntu running once more. However, oddly enough, I still can't seem to figure out if the sound is working r not. I tried running a music file on the music player and it will bold it as if it is playing it but don't see a time elapsed count anywhere and I don't hear anything at all. Now, I did notice that the program does start with the volume muted so I unmuted and turned it up. Unfortunately that was also unsuccessful. I am wondering if the file all downloaded properly. I did see some errors come up at the end of the installations. Did anyone else get those errors? Are they common when doing this install?

EDIT:
Alrighty, I decided to go further into my research of the problem and I discovered after installing VLC that the sound is fine. Thanks again for all your help. I appreciate your patience.

Last edited by JBuchanan8829; 11/05/2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11/05/2012, 12:34 PM   #580 (permalink)

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't bold my edit. I actually did figure it out and got ubuntu running once more. However, oddly enough, I still can't seem to figure out if the sound is working r not. I tried running a music file on the music player and it will bold it as if it is playing it but don't see a time elapsed count anywhere and I don't hear anything at all. Now, I did notice that the program does start with the volume muted so I unmuted and turned it up. Unfortunately that was also unsuccessful. I am wondering if the file all downloaded properly. I did see some errors come up at the end of the installations. Did anyone else get those errors? Are they common when doing this install?

EDIT:
Alrighty, I decided to go further into my research of the problem and I discovered after installing VLC that the sound is fine. Thanks again for all your help. I appreciate your patience.
note that if you use gamix or any other means of altering the volume, that sometimes they alter your webOS volume, gamix for example, when changing volume using this, it actually reduces/increases volume etc which is good if you dotn want your eardrums bleeding, however whatever you set the volume to actually becomes the max volume for webOS, some programs however dont do this which is ofc preferable.

short version, if you alter sound somehow (via device prefs rather than a programs own volume) in ubuntu then later note your webOS music player or games seem amazingly quiet, remember to ramp the volume back up in ubuntu to fix this issue.

crap description of problem

Volume Levels
0% ----------- 25% ----------- 50% ----------- 75% ----------- 100%MAX

Normal volume in webOS = 0% to 100%

You then for example change volume in ubuntu to 75% to stop your music being far too loud.

0% ----------- 25% ----------- 50% ----------- 75%MAX

Now the volume in webOS can only reach 0% to 75% because ubuntu has lowered the max achievable volume of webOS to 75% yet webOS will still show MAX volume, unfortunatly its MAX is now only 75% of normal and noticably quieter, obviously this becomes more exagerated if you change the volume in ubuntu to 50% or less, again webOS cant push the volume higher until you put the volume back to normal in ubuntu.

if you dont have or notice this issue, ignore all of the above

Last edited by geekpeter; 11/05/2012 at 12:43 PM.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0