Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182324252627282930 LastLast
Like Tree88Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JBuchanan8829 View Post
    Has anyone come across the actual application from preware not installing? I finally got past the point in novaterm on ubuntu where you make the directory, echo command, etc and I mounted it. The terminal directory name that I am working in disappears. I then go into Preware and try to install Ubuntu but it runs into an ipkg error. If anyone knows how to get around this, please let me know. Thanks.
    were you making the ext3fs partition?
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Thank you for your response. Well, I went through the make file and uncommented the number sign in the front of the EXT3FS_PARTITION_SIZE = 2GB. This is what creates the partition right?
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    were you making the ext3fs partition?
    Thank you for your response. Well, I went through the make file and uncommented the number sign in the front of the EXT3FS_PARTITION_SIZE = 2GB. This is what creates the partition right?
    if nothing goes wrong the longer/harder way still works yeah, these days ive been using Tailor from preware as its vastly easier and hasnt done anything bad for me yet (still best to treat it with care), i use that on my touchpad and pre3 when making/resizing/deleting/etc partitions.

At least i know when it works (100% good so far) that it does it right, manually theres the chance of doing things in the wrong order or something not working correctly or spelling something wrong and making a slight error.

you could always give it a second look with tailor : Tailor (On-Device Live Partition and Filesystem Editor) Beta Testing

id personally remove all ubuntu'ish stuff from preware, and delete/recreate the ext3fs partition with tailor, mount it and then re-install ubuntu.

---

EDIT: also sometimes its worth checking/editing your /etc/fstab file to see if the ext3fs entry is in there, it should read something like......

/dev/mapper/store-ext3fs /media/ext3fs ext3 noatime,data=writeback 0 0

if thats in there or one amazingly similar tis all good, if not add it on the end, save fstab (use internalZ), only do this after you HAVE a working ext3fs partition.
    Last edited by geekpeter; 10/28/2012 at 09:57 AM.
    if nothing goes wrong the longer/harder way still works yeah, these days ive been using Tailor from preware as its vastly easier and hasnt done anything bad for me yet (still best to treat it with care), i use that on my touchpad and pre3 when making/resizing/deleting/etc partitions.

At least i know when it works (100% good so far) that it does it right, manually theres the chance of doing things in the wrong order or something not working correctly or spelling something wrong and making a slight error.

you could always give it a second look with tailor : Tailor (On-Device Live Partition and Filesystem Editor) Beta Testing
    Alright, I will check into tailor and see if I can work that bit out. Thanks, I will keep you updated.
    check my edit above regarding your fstab file as well, its required to have the ext3fs available every boot.
    check my edit above regarding your fstab file as well, its required to have the ext3fs available every boot.
    Alright, so I ran Tailor and noticed that It did create the partition. In Novaterm, I can run the echo command in the media/ext3fs directory and I can mount without an error. I would like to try your method though. This method I am using is not allowing me to install Ubuntu on the device. So, if I delete the ext3fs directory and recreate it as well as a fresh ext3fs partition, is there anything Else I would need to do to get it to work or is that the extent of it?
    Alright, so I ran Tailor and noticed that It did create the partition. In Novaterm, I can run the echo command in the media/ext3fs directory and I can mount without an error. I would like to try your method though. This method I am using is not allowing me to install Ubuntu on the device. So, if I delete the ext3fs directory and recreate it as well as a fresh ext3fs partition, is there anything Else I would need to do to get it to work or is that the extent of it?
    the fstab modification i edited into 1 of my previous posts AFTER the ext3fs partition has been recreated, also tailor can mount the partition, you dont have to use the terminal at all.

if tailor gives an error about jails being active, you can just click the entries at the far bottom to unmount them as well, most if not all of those will rereturn after the next full reboot anyways, tho i always make sure after ive done all i need, that i remount at least the media/internal and ext3fs partitions.

only when you totally finish the ext3fs stuff in tailor and the fstab edit, do you then do a full reboot, check the ext3fs partition is mounted after reboot, THEN you can install 1 of the ubuntuchroots, 11.04 being the best option if you use the installer that zane9000 created, then just update manually after that

Easy Autoconfiguration for Ubuntu

if your an ubuntu guru you can likely do it all manually, with only a few edits required to booting up ubuntu to make it work properly without as many/any errors.
    Last edited by geekpeter; 10/28/2012 at 10:42 AM.
    heres an altered .bashrc i made which differs a bit form the one made by the autoconfig script.

Code:
    sudo mkdir -p /var/run/dbus
    sudo rm -f /var/run/dbus/pid
    sudo chown messagebus:messagebus /var/run/dbus
    sudo dbus-uuidgen --ensure
    sudo dbus-daemon --system --fork --activation=upstart
    sudo fusermount -zu "$HOME/.gvfs"
    sudo mkdir /media/box &
    sudo umount /media/box &
    sudo su - pete -c "dbus-launch startxfce4" > $homedir/.dbus-session &
    sleep 6
    sudo wmctrl -s 1
    sudo fusermount -u ~/.gvfs
    sudo unity-2d-launcher &
    sudo mount -t davfs https://www.box.com/dav /media/box
    synergyc 192.168.0.4 &
    ignore the box.net, unity2d and synergy stuff i have and the synergy part, their not required by others unless you use know what those are and use them.

Also change the PETE bit to whatever username you picked on the autoconfig, or replace to root/whatever your default is if done manually.
    the fstab modification i edited into 1 of my previous posts AFTER the ext3fs partition has been recreated, also tailor can mount the partition, you dont have to use the terminal at all.

if tailor gives an error about jails being active, you can just click the entries at the far bottom to unmount them as well, most if not all of those will rereturn after the next full reboot anyways, tho i always make sure after ive done all i need, that i remount at least the media/internal and ext3fs partitions.

only when you totally finish the ext3fs stuff in tailor and the fstab edit, do you then do a full reboot, check the ext3fs partition is mounted after reboot, THEN you can install 1 of the ubuntuchroots, 11.04 being the best option if you use the installer that zane9000 created, then just update manually after that

Easy Autoconfiguration for Ubuntu

if your an ubuntu guru you can likely do it all manually, with only a few edits required to booting up ubuntu to make it work properly without as many/any errors.
    I went ahead and deleted the partition that I created using the terminal and repartitioned the touchpad using the Tailor Application. I then tried to mount the partition through, I didn't do anything other than partition and attempt to mount, Tailor but I received a dev/mapper/store-ext3fs... does not exist. When I tried to do the echo command on the terminal before, the terminal directory goes blank, like this:
    joshb@buchanaw-ThinkPad-Edge:~$ novaterm
    JoshuasHPTouchPad / # cd media/ext3fs
    JoshuasHPTouchPad ext3fs # mount -o remount,rw /
    JoshuasHPTouchPad ext3fs # echo '/dev/mapper/store-ext3fs /media/ext3fs ext3 n
    oatime,data=writeback 0 0" >> /etc/fstab
    >

All commands stay blank like that so I don't know if they were working. Also, I am not quite sure how i do this if I wanted to do it on the Touchpad as you have one. Do you run all of the commands through xterm? I will definitely check into that link that you have on your post.
    heres an altered .bashrc i made which differs a bit form the one made by the autoconfig script.

Code:
    sudo mkdir -p /var/run/dbus
    sudo rm -f /var/run/dbus/pid
    sudo chown messagebus:messagebus /var/run/dbus
    sudo dbus-uuidgen --ensure
    sudo dbus-daemon --system --fork --activation=upstart
    sudo fusermount -zu "$HOME/.gvfs"
    sudo mkdir /media/box &
    sudo umount /media/box &
    sudo su - pete -c "dbus-launch startxfce4" > $homedir/.dbus-session &
    sleep 6
    sudo wmctrl -s 1
    sudo fusermount -u ~/.gvfs
    sudo unity-2d-launcher &
    sudo mount -t davfs https://www.box.com/dav /media/box
    synergyc 192.168.0.4 &
    ignore the box.net, unity2d and synergy stuff i have and the synergy part, their not required by others unless you use know what those are and use them.

Also change the PETE bit to whatever username you picked on the autoconfig, or replace to root/whatever your default is if done manually.
    Thank you. Do I run this through XTerm?
    Thank you. Do I run this through XTerm?
    nope its a file within the ubuntu environment, the autoconfig thread has a script and instructions to get a fully working ubuntu up and running, afterwards there is a file youc an edit which is what makes the desktop environment autorun when you pick ubuntu from xecutah.

the bit i pasted its a modified version of the one the autoconfig script creates which is stored in /root of the ubuntu install called

/root/.bashrc
    (NOT IN WEBOS BUT INSIDE UBUNTU)

see if you get any issues at all first, if nothing dont bother with my alterations, if you do its something to try later, in fact this thread and the autoconfig thread have LOTS of pages which cover nearly every issue or re-occuring problem your likely to encounter, their worth reading start to finish even if its a pain doing so.

Personally i read those pages from the end going backover, you tend to find newer problems/fixes before you get to the old stuff thats likely been fixed already.
    I went ahead and deleted the partition that I created using the terminal and repartitioned the touchpad using the Tailor Application. I then tried to mount the partition through, I didn't do anything other than partition and attempt to mount, Tailor but I received a dev/mapper/store-ext3fs... does not exist. When I tried to do the echo command on the terminal before, the terminal directory goes blank, like this:
    joshb@buchanaw-ThinkPad-Edge:~$ novaterm
    JoshuasHPTouchPad / # cd media/ext3fs
    JoshuasHPTouchPad ext3fs # mount -o remount,rw /
    JoshuasHPTouchPad ext3fs # echo '/dev/mapper/store-ext3fs /media/ext3fs ext3 n
    oatime,data=writeback 0 0" >> /etc/fstab
    >

All commands stay blank like that so I don't know if they were working. Also, I am not quite sure how i do this if I wanted to do it on the Touchpad as you have one. Do you run all of the commands through xterm? I will definitely check into that link that you have on your post.
    i never touched the terminal even once, tailor can do everything to your partitions, delete/create/resize/mount/etc, and i used InternalZ to open/edit the fstab and manually entered.....

to the bottom of my fstab, saved it, then rebooted, no terminal required, i think on tailor you clicked the "Activity" button and just picked MOUNT for ext3fs, it was that easy, again tailor has its own set of instructions worth reading if your not sure.

id personally remove all ubuntu'ish stuff from preware, and delete/recreate the ext3fs partition with tailor, mount it and then re-install ubuntu.

---

EDIT: also sometimes its worth checking/editing your /etc/fstab file to see if the ext3fs entry is in there, it should read something like......

if thats in there or one amazingly similar tis all good, if not add it on the end, save fstab (use internalZ), only do this after you HAVE a working ext3fs partition.
    I used Internalz Pro to look into the Touchpad. I found the ext3fs folder. I peered into it to see whats inside and I has an opt folder with bin, etc, lib, libexec,sbin, share, and var. Is this where I need to be to find the fstab stuff?

Edit
    I looked around and I could not seem to find the fstab information. I found the dev/mapper/ store-ext3fs file though.
    Last edited by JBuchanan8829; 10/28/2012 at 01:22 PM. Reason: New information.
    i never touched the terminal even once, tailor can do everything to your partitions, delete/create/resize/mount/etc, and i used InternalZ to open/edit the fstab and manually entered.....

to the bottom of my fstab, saved it, then rebooted, no terminal required, i think on tailor you clicked the "Activity" button and just picked MOUNT for ext3fs, it was that easy, again tailor has its own set of instructions worth reading if your not sure.
    Wow, that actually sounds so much easier. I will try that out.
    I used Internalz Pro to look into the Touchpad. I found the ext3fs folder. I peered into it to see whats inside and I has an opt folder with bin, etc, lib, libexec,sbin, share, and var. Is this where I need to be to find the fstab stuff?

Edit
    I looked around and I could not seem to find the fstab information. I found the dev/mapper/ store-ext3fs file though.
    its in /etc

also check the preferences menu top left of internalZ, when inside, scroll down to FAR bottom, should be an option called MASTER MODE, turn this on or a lot of indepth stuff you cant mess with until its on.
    its in /etc

also check the preferences menu top left of internalZ, when inside, scroll down to FAR bottom, should be an option called MASTER MODE, turn this on or a lot of indepth stuff you cant mess with until its on.
    Cool thanks. Sorry if I'm buggingyou with all of these questions. I really do appreciate all that you are doing for me. I opened media/ext3fs/opt/etc. There I have two more folders, one that is labeled ipkg and the other is openssh. In ipkg I have optware.conf. In the openssh I have moduli, ssh_config, ssh_host_dsa_key, ssh_host_dsa_key.pub, ssh_host_key, ssh_host_key.pub, ssh_host_rsa_key, ssh_host_rsa_key.pub, and sshd_config. Honestly, to my untrained eye, none of this looks like what I am looking for. Am I looking for an actua folder in etc with the with the fstab file. How do I manually add the information that I need?

EDIT:

Nevermind. I was looking at the wrong etc. I found the fstab file.
    Cool thanks. Sorry if I'm buggingyou with all of these questions. I really do appreciate all that you are doing for me. I opened media/ext3fs/opt/etc. There I have two more folders, one that is labeled ipkg and the other is openssh. In ipkg I have optware.conf. In the openssh I have moduli, ssh_config, ssh_host_dsa_key, ssh_host_dsa_key.pub, ssh_host_key, ssh_host_key.pub, ssh_host_rsa_key, ssh_host_rsa_key.pub, and sshd_config. Honestly, to my untrained eye, none of this looks like what I am looking for. Am I looking for an actua folder in etc with the with the fstab file. How do I manually add the information that I need?

EDIT:

Nevermind. I was looking at the wrong etc. I found the fstab file.
    At the bottom of fstab, I see /dev/mapper/store-ext3fs /media/ext3fs noatime,data=writeback 0 0.

However, when I go to mount the partition, I am still getting /dev/mapper/store-ext3fs on /media/ext3fs failed no such device in Tailor. Is there something else that causes this other than the fstab coding? OR, is the fstab in the wrong etc file directory? Should this be in the folder media/ext3fs/opt/etc?
    Last edited by JBuchanan8829; 10/28/2012 at 02:34 PM.
    what entries do you actually see listed in tailor?

heres a quick snap of what mine looks like.

far far bottom i have ext3fs showing as active/running and top i see an entry which allows me to mess with it, does yours show the same or is it different.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    what entries do you actually see listed in tailor?

heres a quick snap of what mine looks like.

far far bottom i have ext3fs showing as active/running and top i see an entry which allows me to mess with it, does yours show the same or is it different.
    Select Partition:
    usb (media): 25.523 GiB
    user (ext3): 2GiB
    unused space: 8MiB

Select Activity for USB (media)
    umount partition Activity
    Partition Size 26136MiB

Unmount USB (media) Partition
    Umount Partition

Status
    Ready

Current Mounts (Tap to Unmount)
    USB (media) /media/internal

Screen capture is not working properly.

When I go to mount the user (ext3) partition, it gives me the mounting error and states no such device.
    Last edited by JBuchanan8829; 10/28/2012 at 10:00 PM.
    is it still the same after a full reboot of the device, rather than a luna restart? im a bit dumbfounded atm, the only other thing i can think of, offhand is the fstab entry not being correct, or the /media/ext3fs folder not being present but youve already seen and done both so can discount that.

anyone else have an idea?