Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1621222324252627282930 LastLast
Like Tree88Likes
    Its not the keyboard dissapearing but the whole screen going grey with the black arror after a restart
    What can you run on Ubuntu that WebOS doesnt have?
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sepharite View Post
    What can you run on Ubuntu that WebOS doesnt have?
    Check the 1st post? All of those, for starters.

. . NS4G . . CM7 . .
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arachnoman666 View Post
    Ok, got it working. Uninstalled Xecutah and Chroot, restarted device. Im using an image file, i mounted it, then reinstalled Xecutah and Chroot form Preware and all is working fine...again.
    Are there instructions for installing Ubuntu in an image file instead of creating a partition? I keep seeing mention of people saying they are doing it, but yet to find a post of how to do it.

Thanks,
    Greg
    Quote Originally Posted by ggee View Post
    Are there instructions for installing Ubuntu in an image file instead of creating a partition? I keep seeing mention of people saying they are doing it, but yet to find a post of how to do it.

Thanks,
    Greg
    There are. I have ubuntu mounted as a 2gb image file. Oddly enough, I can no longer find the page (in Preware.org? or webosinternals.org?) that had the .img alternative. It works fine, except that even though I have it in my webos fstab (to mount) I still have o mount the image manually. That means I have to activate the virtual keyboard, start up webos with xecutah, mount ubuntu (I have a one-line script for this), minimize that, go to tweaks to turn the keyboard off, and go back and start up ubuntu chroot. It's a bit of a hassle that those who use a partition don't seem to have. I'm using the Onboard virtual keyboard (bit rough but it works).

Just trying to remember what I did - I created and formatted a 2gb ext3 filesystem, and a ubuntu.img file, took care of the mount (did not work - I need to do this manually). The rest, as I recall, but don't quote me, is similar to using the partition route, but a lot simpler. You should keep looking for the page: google "how to install buintu.img on hp touchpad" or something like that.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    I have an image file with preloaded LXDE and apps and some scripts for using it over at the thread in my signature...
    Come help me get my Chroot Scripts working!
    Quote Originally Posted by qole View Post
    I got the full desktop VLC working on my TouchPad by running vlc-wrapper as root:
    Code:
    sudo SUDO_UID=1000 vlc-wrapper
    It only played my test AVI for a few minutes before crashing out with a PulseAudio error, however. Not sure if this is a problem with the specific file, or with VLC / WebOS PulseAudio in general.
    I tried the same thing, but still get "stuttering" in the audio. My thought is that backend audio programs running under vlc are accessing the hardware directly, while the Xserver in Xecutah is providing a parallel path, so the sound is getting to the speakers via two routes that are not in sync. Could someone more knowledgeable than me look into this theory, and possibly suggest/make a change to Xecutah that would allow one to turn sound on and off?
    I don't want to redoctor, so I am trying to follow the alternative method from the wiki:
    Then verify how much space /media/internal is using
    lvscan | grep media
    For a 16GB TP you should only reduce the size by 4GB and for a 32GB TP you can safely reduce by 8GB So this means if the size is 23GB on a 32GB TP your final space that you would resize to is ie: 23GB-8GB=15GB
    <code>resizefat /dev/mapper/store-media {size you determined it to be}G - I picked 4G to leave about 9G for my Ubuntu. Decide for yourself. This operation will delete your data if you make it too small.
    lvresize -L 4G /dev/mapper/store-media
    Forgive my ignorance. I just want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I do it.
    My output is
    root@HPTouchPad:/# df -h | grep internal
    27.6G 8.8G 18.8G 32% /media/internal
    So, /media/internal is currently 27.6G allocated, 8.8G in use, and 18.8G free, correct?

If I want to use 9G for Ubuntu, what numbers do I put for the resizefat, and lvresize commands? I am not a newbie on linux, but this part of the wiki is not real clear to me, specifically the "{size you determined it to be}" part.

Thanks for the help...
    Reading the instructions I found the equation and the arithmetic example to appear contradictory'and I couldn't follow the number trail and devices on the how to recover part so I followed the MetaDoctor instructions which I found to be clearer. Later I was happy I did because when I tried "Google" suggested ways to improve sound quality in VLC a couple of the choices destroyed all sound in ubuntu chroot as well as webOS. With the "doctored" MetaDoctor, rebuilding everything was quite straightforward and done in fewer keyboardist steps. In addition, the exercise gave me a lot of appreciation for Java, a language that I'd gotten quite discouraged about.
    Quote Originally Posted by vimak View Post
    After many hours I got it working, finally.

Has anyone tried using Xournal on? To me it is useless as the response is not good and I had to uninstall the gestures software but still no good. It could be Touchpad itself or my cheap stylus
    I use Xournal on the TP just fine. I find it very responsive. Turn off the use Xinput feature under options. It's my #1 application on the Touchpad! :-)

Kind regards

D.
    Here's what Xournal looks like. REALLY NICE. Just disable XInput and save your settings.

Come help me get my Chroot Scripts working!
    FWIW, just posted an update to the alpha feeds, please help test!

0.9.5 release announcement (ALPHA)
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

If you like my work, please consider donating or buying VBA!
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by qole View Post
    Here's what Xournal looks like. REALLY NICE. Just disable XInput and save your settings.

Click to view quoted image
    It is not smooth curves and if you try to write smaller character such as in betweeen the lines only then you will notice that it is quite not smooth lines, I am not complaining but trying to see if there is a good solution
    Has anyone had success with flash on ubuntu? I've installed the browser plugin and stuff, but when it runs it's terrible. Not watchable at all, would overclocking help at all?
    Sprint Love
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    I have been playing around with the UbuntuChroot I just got installed on my Touchpad (which wasn't all that hard to do) and guess what? I have gotten a whole hord of applications to work flawlessly on it! Some of these are AbiWord (a ligth weight word processor), GIMP (Image retouching tool), and Chromium (Chrome browser). I was doing this stuff in another thread but decided this deserved its own thread. If you want me to put together a tutorial or videos of these application working I'll go ahead and do so.

And of course here are some picture because it never is true without pictures (and now Video!) :P

LXDE:
    Video:

AbiWord:
    Introducing word processing on the @HP #TouchPad using AbiWor... on Twitpic
    Video:
    (fixed)

Chromum:
    Twitpic - Share photos and videos on Twitter
    Video:
    (fixed)

GIMP:
    The first fully functional Image retouching and editing tool ... on Twitpic

Eclipse:
    The very first self-sustaining tablet: the @HP #TouchPad runn... on Twitpic

WebOS Quick Install:
    @JayCanuck Ever think that WebOS Quick Install would ever be ... on Twitpic

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

TUTORIAL: How to get the UbuntuChroot up and running for your HP TouchPad

I put it on the WebOS Internals Wiki below. Feel free to correct any misspelling or anything.
    UbuntuChroot - WebOS Internals
    Can you install Ubuntu along side of WebOS that way you can choose which you want to boot into, rather than overwrite all of your WebOS data?

Thanks!

jason
    So far, no good.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Man, this is all so foreign to me that it's hard to even know what I want or need, much less take the time to actually install it and get it running. I don't understand this: You talk about installing UbuntuChroot on the TP. What is the Chroot portion mean? Ubuntu is Linux right? So the word UbuntuChroot throws me. Is it a version much like OS X (Ubuntu) Snow Leopard (Chroot)?

LXDE... says in the video that it's "LXDE (Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment) running in XServer via UbuntuChroot". X11 is like a Linux developer code environment, that much I know being a Mac user. But I don't know ANYTHING about it. So... what does LXDE have to do with installing Ubuntu? Is it like an "app" you install to tweak Ubuntu?

I'm asking such silly questions that are so obvious to many of you I'm sure. I know that "if I'm this lost now, then it's not for you". Could be true. I just want a kickin' Tablet, that's all. If doing this gets the me the most out of my TP, then I'm willing to learn. If it's just a different flavor that gets you the same end result as WebOS, then I'm not sure it's worth it. I don't need "different'. I just want something that "works". So that when I go to a website, I can browse it without wifi locking up. Or working with a Word doc, I can actually edit it properly, as well as not having MIME errors with EVERY single stupid common file I download. Or the ability to actually SORT photos inside of the photo app? How simple is that? yet, I can't figure out how to do it with the WebOS provided app!

Thanks!
    Jason
    So far, no good.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockula View Post
    Man, this is all so foreign to me that it's hard to even know what I want or need, much less take the time to actually install it and get it running. I don't understand this: You talk about installing UbuntuChroot on the TP. What is the Chroot portion mean? Ubuntu is Linux right? So the word UbuntuChroot throws me. Is it a version much like OS X (Ubuntu) Snow Leopard (Chroot)?

LXDE... says in the video that it's "LXDE (Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment) running in XServer via UbuntuChroot". X11 is like a Linux developer code environment, that much I know being a Mac user. But I don't know ANYTHING about it. So... what does LXDE have to do with installing Ubuntu? Is it like an "app" you install to tweak Ubuntu?

I'm asking such silly questions that are so obvious to many of you I'm sure. I know that "if I'm this lost now, then it's not for you". Could be true. I just want a kickin' Tablet, that's all. If doing this gets the me the most out of my TP, then I'm willing to learn. If it's just a different flavor that gets you the same end result as WebOS, then I'm not sure it's worth it. I don't need "different'. I just want something that "works". So that when I go to a website, I can browse it without wifi locking up. Or working with a Word doc, I can actually edit it properly, as well as not having MIME errors with EVERY single stupid common file I download. Or the ability to actually SORT photos inside of the photo app? How simple is that? yet, I can't figure out how to do it with the WebOS provided app!

Thanks!
    Jason
    lxde is just a front end
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    metadoc? or manual?

I tried to repartition manually and got the following.... (see attachment)

Someone please advise how to proceed!!!! I'd love to get Ubuntu up and running, I just don't know if I'm in a situation that I can continue, or if I've got some housekeeping to take care of first.

Thanks in advance
    Attached Images Attached Images
    does any of the word processoring app on ubuntu allow ctrl c ctrl v ctrl b etc? Thats all i really miss with the bt keyboard in webos.....
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by threezero View Post
    does any of the word processoring app on ubuntu allow ctrl c ctrl v ctrl b etc? Thats all i really miss with the bt keyboard in webos.....
    You can probably use key combinations with any word processing app (I'm able to use them in AbiWord). Look in Xecutah below the "Start Ubuntu 11.04 chroot" button and it will tell you how to simulate the ctrl key.