Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 121718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
Like Tree88Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    after some hard reboots or bad crashes the mount is simply lost, you can always just reopen xterm and re mount -o loop /media/yourimage.img /media/ext3fs and then type exit and relaunch chroot, i avoid the auto mount just incase something goes bang and tend to mount manually for the moment.

i still use images if only to keep a fresh "blank.img" a "xfce4.img" "lxde.img" and "test.img", when an install goes bang/wrong i just cp blank.img whateverilost.img and start again.

the "flash then nothing" thing tho is deffo a lost mount when your runnign chroot, just remount the image.
    Yep, that was the problem, I can't believe I forgot that step >_<

Thank you so much!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post

Step 1-A: Creating a WebOS Doctor
    - We will be using the Meta Doctor to create a special WebOS Doctor that will create a 2GB (or more if you wish to do so) partition in /media/ext3fs/ were Ubuntu will be.
    - Use the WebOS Internals Guide to installing and running the Meta Doctor. In Step 2 you will have to rename you downloaded webOS doctor to the name of the Bell Mobility doctor they have under Step 2'3 (webosdoctorp100ewwbellmo.jar) go ahead and add the webOS version after it like it advises.
    Firstly, I'm not sure what the Bell Mobility doctor has to do with anything.

Secondly, you don't actually tell people how to create the EXT3FS paritition.

Thirdly, it would be much better if people actually added detail and clarifications to the *official* wiki page, instead of incorrectly duplicating information in forum threads where other people can't correct it.

I appreciate the additional detail and user-friendliness of your instructions - I only wish you would applied that contribution to the community-maintained official wiki page instead of putting it in a read-only thread post here.

Thanks,

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Has anyone got Adobe Air successfully installed on Ubuntu 11.04 chroot?

I have made AdobeAIRInstall.bin executable but it still give me this error:

Code:
    ~# chmod +x ./AdobeAIRInstaller.bin
    ~# sudo ./AdobeAIRInstaller.bin
    ./AdobeAIRInstaller.bin: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
    I checked online and most responses were saying it's the permission issue. I have already double checked the permission and it is indeed executable.

I wonder whether it is possible to install adobe air on the lxde ubuntu 11.04. Any help appreciated.
    You're trying to run an x86 executable on an ARM device.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Is there any way to tell in advance which packages run on ARM devices?
    Quote Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
    Is there any way to tell in advance which packages run on ARM devices?
    Those that are in the Ubuntu ARM port feeds.

In general, a random package you get from a URL on the internet will likely be for x86.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Those that are in the Ubuntu ARM port feeds.

In general, a random package you get from a URL on the internet will likely be for x86.

-- Rod
    Is there anyway to know when searching for the packages with Synaptic? Can you filter the choices for ARM compatible packages, I didn't see any such option.

I also ran into another issue a few days ago. I am a short trip for 1 week. Played around with Ubuntu in the evenings at the hotel. Installed some additional packages, nothing connectivity related, then I closed Ubuntu and put the Touchpad away. The next day I tried to use the browser in WebOS and (even though WiFi was connected and stable) no data was coming through. After trying everything I finally nuked the Ubuntu installation and everything started to work again. Any ideas what could have been the problem, even with Ubuntu shut down, so that I can avoid this happening again?
    Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    I was looking for a way to fix the error caused by the cups service inability to connect to upstart in the chroot environment and came across a solution that seems to work.

Code:
    dpkg-divert --local --rename --add /sbin/initctl
    ln -s /bin/true /sbin/initctl
    cups works btw and i am able to print to my epson wireless printer. I added cupsd to my lxde startup script.

source: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...rt/+bug/430224
    I'm testing this now.

-- Rod
    I'd like to try this, but curious. Can we dual boot ubuntu with webos? or if I do all this, webos side will be gone?
  10.    #430  
    I've been really busy lately and haven't had time work the tutorial so I'm just going to add it to the WebOS Internals Wiki and Rod and everyone add their 2 cents.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    I was looking for a way to fix the error caused by the cups service inability to connect to upstart in the chroot environment and came across a solution that seems to work.

Code:
    dpkg-divert --local --rename --add /sbin/initctl
    ln -s /bin/true /sbin/initctl
    cups works btw and i am able to print to my epson wireless printer. I added cupsd to my lxde startup script.

source: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...rt/+bug/430224
    This fix is now in the testing feeds.

-- Rod
  12.    #432  
    Rod go ahead and take a look at the edit I just made and make sure its ok.
    UbuntuChroot - WebOS Internals
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    where is ubuntu software center?

can someone who has tried to install wine confirm that it cannot be installed?
    Quote Originally Posted by jon888 View Post
    someone who has tried to install wine confirm that it cannot be installed?
    wine can be installed, BUT it can only run windows binaries that are compiled for ARM. So it is only worthwhile if you have the source of the windows program you are trying to run.

ARM - The Official Wine Wiki
    Quote Originally Posted by jon888 View Post
    where is ubuntu software center
    I don't think canonical ported the software center. There is a good amount of software that is ported to arm or architecture agnostic. Also one nice thing about open source is that if you cannot find your favorite program, you can always download the source and build it yourself.

I've done that with a couple small gnome panel applets.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    to anyone who needs a working "rightmouse function" and you have LXDE try the following from the chroot cli before you started LXDE.

install a small package like so

sudo apt-get install xkbset

Now in your text editor (leafpad or whatever) make a script file at root, i did leafpad /go to make a script called GO

enter the following spiel

#!/bin/bash
    xmodmap -e "keycode 96 = Pointer_Button3"
    xkbset m
    startlxde

edit: coudl be either, not sure atm, Pointer_Button1 or Pointer_Button2 or Pointer_Button3

save the file then type

chmod /go +x
    or
    chmod +x /go

i forget which, im very tired atm.

now just type /go when your inside LXDE press the key above tab / to the left of the number 1, in my case thats an unused key i dont use, and wham, rightmouse should work.

im sure that can be saved somewhere permanant, but id rather stick to the easy route atm, ittl do till i get a proerp ctrl+leftmouse thign going on, and the programs iev tried that do that have been a tad unstable or had bits missing.

Ongoing AMENDED: due to stupidity and tiredness.
    I'm trying to follow these instructions but am not having success. Keep in mind I am a Ubuntu noob.

I enter the "spiel" part but when I type startlxde, it just starts the lxde session, so I don't know how I'm supposed to save a file (what file?) or "chmod /go +x".

Can someone help me or are there better instructions at this point?
    arrow keys on touchpad software keyboard

- up arrow
    - down arrow
    - left arrow
    - right arrow
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    will the ubuntu under chroot tether from a bt phone or adhoc hotspot? Or is the internet supplied only from the host (touchpad)

maybe this will be only way to tether from a bkuetooth dun/pan?
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I have a question.
    The tutorial at WebOS Internals says that while you should create a partition for Ubuntu, you don't have to. What will happen if you install it without creating the new partition?
    Quote Originally Posted by jdm8000 View Post
    I have a question.
    The tutorial at WebOS Internals says that while you should create a partition for Ubuntu, you don't have to. What will happen if you install it without creating the new partition?
    You must create either a partition or a disk image. If you don't, the chroot package will refuse to install (as it will have no place to unpack the files).

-- Rod