Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 111617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
Like Tree88Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ranma View Post
    Anyone tried Windows on qemu on ubuntu? I have the 32GB touchpad, and thinking about re-doctoring it with 8GB for ext3fs/2GB for var. Or would Windows on DosBox be better? Looking for suggestions. Thanks.
    qemu works, but I have not yet been able to compile it statically with the libs it needs (requires? I dunno) to run outside the chroot.

But inside the chroot, qemu runs "ok", but the mouse mapping is off. I assume running natively would fix that.

win98 runs "fine" (sort of slow), xp seems to have some problems, but probably would be way too slow anyways?)
    Last edited by grazzt; 09/11/2011 at 11:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by evilferret View Post
    Hope somebody who's installed Ubuntu can answer this.

After reading 20 pages, only 1 poster said frame rate was awful so kinda worried about installing Ubuntu.

Also anybody who went Debian chime in?

Thanks
    Frame rate in general? The desktop seems entirely usable, and I have no complaints regarding refresh rate or anything like that. Are you talking about video playback or games? I haven't tried either, so I can't comment on that, but I have got Debian set up and it's working great.
    Quote Originally Posted by evilferret View Post
    Hope somebody who's installed Ubuntu can answer this.

After reading 20 pages, only 1 poster said frame rate was awful so kinda worried about installing Ubuntu.

Also anybody who went Debian chime in?

Thanks
    I think it was me that was commenting on the frame rate. I was referring to video playback with VLC (specifically wmv playback). If you want to install Ubuntu to watch wmv movies, don't bother. If you get 1 frame every 5 seconds you are lucky. On the other hand mp4 and avi files seem to play and be quite watchable. You can get youtube to work, but the flash player is pretty terrible and the framerate become only slightly better than that of the wmv files.

I have not tried Debian, but I suspect it is the same situation.
    Probably so. I wonder what's causing that issue. I might try it out on Arch Linux ARM to see if there's a problem with the Ubuntu implementation or if it's just one of those things.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Maybe a stupid question, but I am debating on doing this to my touchpad. I am still learning when it comes to webOS, so if I do this, can I, and has anyone, used the webOS doctor to restore everything back to stock?
    Quote Originally Posted by cckeeler View Post
    Maybe a stupid question, but I am debating on doing this to my touchpad. I am still learning when it comes to webOS, so if I do this, can I, and has anyone, used the webOS doctor to restore everything back to stock?
    The neat thing about this process is it's not too destructive. Essentially it's just making a partition out of free space and putting files in that partition.

Unless you need additional space for movies/music, you shouldn't have to. I can't speak on webosdoctor, since I haven't had to but I'd imagine it just reformats the entire device (in which case it would reverse the process).

Just trying to put your mind at ease, since for the Linux beginner I know that some of this stuff looks a little daunting and scary. It's a pretty basic process, as far as Linux things go.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trevor.starick View Post
    Right now its not possible because the wireless card is bridged to the chroot via eth0. I'm not sure if a wireless adapter would work due to the fact that so far the chroot doesn't play well with the usb port. You'd also need drivers installed.
    @trevor.starick, @projectalarum and anyone else who has tried Aircrack, have you guys had any luck? If so, any chance of a noob guide for ex-die hard Windows fans?

Thanks.
    I was looking for a way to fix the error caused by the cups service inability to connect to upstart in the chroot environment and came across a solution that seems to work.

Code:
    dpkg-divert --local --rename --add /sbin/initctl
    ln -s /bin/true /sbin/initctl
    cups works btw and i am able to print to my epson wireless printer. I added cupsd to my lxde startup script.

source: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...rt/+bug/430224
    Quote Originally Posted by zc1 View Post
    Have any of you who successfully installed ubuntu on a touchpad been able to get a java plugin installed and working for Chromium or Firefox? I would greatly appreciate some help in this regard.
    yes i have the icedtea plugin working in firefox. i am not sure how and why though. what i did is configured synaptic with all the update repos. updated (downloaded some ~300mbs), then selected icedtea plugin and voila icedtea plugin runs applets in firefox (latest version of firefox after update is 6.0.2)
    I've read most of this, but not all, so I'm sorry if this was covered. I've been running xfce4 in a 1.9GB image. I'm able to get pretty much everything set up and working, but after a few days things seem to go awry. I'll launch Chroot after XTerm, like usual, but my white Ubuntu window will flash for a second and then disappear behind my black (running Tweaks) XTerm window. No amount of waiting between the processes seems to make a difference, and nor does a reboot.

The last thing I did before this stopped working: updated my kernel (F4) and rebooted. I do not remember if I had any prior reboots since this most recent instance of Ubuntu was configured.

Has anyone seen this? I'd love to know what's going wrong before I spend another few hours configuring this again. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I just went through all the steps and after editing the fstab... i type mount -a and i get

mount: mounting /dev/mapper/store/store-ext3fs on /media/ext3fs failed: No such file or directory

i saw someone else with the problem but could not find any solutions- please help
    Quote Originally Posted by sidious999 View Post
    I just went through all the steps and after editing the fstab... i type mount -a and i get

mount: mounting /dev/mapper/store/store-ext3fs on /media/ext3fs failed: No such file or directory

i saw someone else with the problem but could not find any solutions- please help
    That means you missed the step which tells the Meta-Doctor to actually create the ext3fs partition. Try again.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by edriggers View Post
    I've read most of this, but not all, so I'm sorry if this was covered. I've been running xfce4 in a 1.9GB image. I'm able to get pretty much everything set up and working, but after a few days things seem to go awry. I'll launch Chroot after XTerm, like usual, but my white Ubuntu window will flash for a second and then disappear behind my black (running Tweaks) XTerm window. No amount of waiting between the processes seems to make a difference, and nor does a reboot.

The last thing I did before this stopped working: updated my kernel (F4) and rebooted. I do not remember if I had any prior reboots since this most recent instance of Ubuntu was configured.

Has anyone seen this? I'd love to know what's going wrong before I spend another few hours configuring this again. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!
    after some hard reboots or bad crashes the mount is simply lost, you can always just reopen xterm and re mount -o loop /media/yourimage.img /media/ext3fs and then type exit and relaunch chroot, i avoid the auto mount just incase something goes bang and tend to mount manually for the moment.

i still use images if only to keep a fresh "blank.img" a "xfce4.img" "lxde.img" and "test.img", when an install goes bang/wrong i just cp blank.img whateverilost.img and start again.

the "flash then nothing" thing tho is deffo a lost mount when your runnign chroot, just remount the image.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    so i have everthing installed and partitioned and i can get the ubuntu linux terminal-
    so what about a GUI? am i limited to just a terminal? i want to be able to have a desktop thats why i wanted to install ubuntu- is there anything i can do?
    looking through the directories I see that there is an OpenJDK Java 6 Runtime in /usr/share/applications. So my question is can you run .jar applications?
    This is awesome! Thanks to all who had a hand in making this happen.
    never mind I figured it out
    right click (or in this case press and hold)
    open with...
    click on the "custom command line" tab
    java -jar
    check box that say "set selected application as default action of this file type"
    Last edited by ledzepman71; 09/14/2011 at 02:43 PM. Reason: edit: figured it out
    Here is how to get pidgin working in Ubuntu:

In terminal:
    Code:
    sudo /bin/dbus-uuidgen > /var/lib/dbus/machine-id
    sudo apt-get install pidgin
    I have tested MSN and gtalk. Both are working in pidgin.

Hope it helps.

Reference:
    forums.precentral.net/hp-touchpad-apps/293675-ubuntu-touchpad-missing-d-bus-configuration.html
    antijingoist likes this.
    Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    <still waiting for my Touchpad to be delivered>

BIG QUESTION though...how well does LibreOffice work in this instance? Better than QuickOffice? Can anyone give a review or analysis?

This would be much appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by gryedouge View Post
    QUESTION though...how well does LibreOffice work in this instance? Better than QuickOffice? Can anyone give a review or analysis?
    LibreOffice works well. I've only used it to write and print a couple letters. Just need to find a right click solution that is comfortable for you since it isn't tablet optimized. Works much better than quick office.
    Is there a way to till if I made an ext3 partition, what it's size is, and if I made more than one?