Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
Like Tree88Likes
    Ive installed Ubuntu Chroot, Xechuta, etc... and lxde works fine.
    Installed Libreoffice, Gimp, etc... all work fine.

Also installed unity-2d but I can't start it from root@HP like I do with LXDE.

Does anybody know what command I need to type in order to start it?
    Quote Originally Posted by ferney.archer View Post
    would anyone be able to guide me to a tutorial on how to get debian up an running. I have ubuntu and would like to check the difference.
    The process is the same as Ubuntu, you just install Debian from preware.
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdurden83 View Post
    I have a problem and I was wondering if anyone would know the solution to it. I start my Ubuntu on the touchpad by the command "dbus-launch lxsession" and everything works nice and dandy but what seems to be the problem is that I can't change any of the Openbox themes, I get an error stating, "an error occurred, trying to save the config file 'openbox/lxde-rc.xml'" and it just won't work. I edited that file manually and entered the desired theme name under it, still it didn't work.

So just for ****s and giggles, I tried running my session with "dbus-launch startlxde" and voila it works but with that I get unnecessary garbage of "other" menu items, etc. Does anyone know how to make openbox themes work under "lxsession"?
    startlxde is just a script that configures a bunch of stuff before running lxsession. You may have luck looking at the script and removing whatever is populating the "other" menu. The script is located at /usr/bin/startlxde
    Quote Originally Posted by zane9000 View Post
    startlxde is just a script that configures a bunch of stuff before running lxsession. You may have luck looking at the script and removing whatever is populating the "other" menu. The script is located at /usr/bin/startlxde
    Thanks Zane, it worked. I ended up following a little guide on google of what is needed in lxsession to be close to startlxde and it was the passing over of the $DESKTOP_SESSION environment variable and now it works. Voila! Thanks.
    Did anyone get XBMC working on this touchpad, that would be a killer addition in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmylanman View Post
    I'm guessing that's because the ARM architecture is probably relatively new for Ubuntu. Debian is pretty mature compared to Ubuntu, and has supported ARM since 2003 I think. Not sure when Ubuntu started working on ARM, I think 2008 or something. I was glad when I noticed Debian was working on the Touchpad because I usually have bad experience with Ubuntu when I'm doing stuff that doesn't fall into the mainstream (which is where the fun for me is).

If you can, I'd just stick with Debian but that is just my two cents.
    I think you're right on all counts. I need a java enabled browser for some important stuff like tending to my web server, and so far Debian Squeeze is working as well or better for other things as well. I'm still using/playing with both though. Options! The more, the better!
    Quote Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
    I think you're right on all counts. I need a java enabled browser for some important stuff like tending to my web server, and so far Debian Squeeze is working as well or better for other things as well. I'm still using/playing with both though. Options! The more, the better!
    I agree. I definitely see where a lot of people like Ubuntu, and it's great that there's a distro that caters to that crowd, because they'd otherwise be using a Mac or (worse) Windows.

I just prefer the more hands-on distros. I wish I knew how to generate WebOS packages, because there's an Arch Linux chroot available, but it's not packaged yet (and I don't know how to install it otherwise).
    Quote Originally Posted by ranma View Post
    Anyone tried Windows on qemu on ubuntu? I have the 32GB touchpad, and thinking about re-doctoring it with 8GB for ext3fs/2GB for var. Or would Windows on DosBox be better? Looking for suggestions. Thanks.
    I hadn't tried tossing windows up through qemu or dosbox, but, for giggles I -did- go through the trouble of setting up dosbox on the touchpad through ubuntu...

It wasn't particularly easy because the bluetooth keyboard does -not- want to play nice with dosbox even after you remap everything (to remap, run dosbox from a command prompt with dosbox -startmapper). The keyboard does NOT work out of the box, and honestly, it doesn't really work very well after mapping either. It keeps losing keys or forgetting *** it's doing. Ugly stuff and would need some deeper work than I'm willing to put into it.

On the flip side, an hour of fiddling later and I was playing tie-fighter on my touchpad. Hilarity ensues.
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    I hadn't tried tossing windows up through qemu or dosbox, but, for giggles I -did- go through the trouble of setting up dosbox on the touchpad through ubuntu...

It wasn't particularly easy because the bluetooth keyboard does -not- want to play nice with dosbox even after you remap everything (to remap, run dosbox from a command prompt with dosbox -startmapper). The keyboard does NOT work out of the box, and honestly, it doesn't really work very well after mapping either. It keeps losing keys or forgetting *** it's doing. Ugly stuff and would need some deeper work than I'm willing to put into it.

On the flip side, an hour of fiddling later and I was playing tie-fighter on my touchpad. Hilarity ensues.
    You might have better luck using Florence virtual keyboard and using the "setxkbset us" command before starting your window manager. That will give you a standard mapping.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Are people able to view in portrait with LXDE and if so, how?
    Must have missed something...
    I've found whatever orientation I start xserver in is the orientation it stays in. Try starting it in portrait.
    "The Gods do not protect fools, fools are merely protected by more capable fools"
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post

I spent many an hour playing that game back in the day... Ah the good ol' days.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    I agree. I definitely see where a lot of people like Ubuntu, and it's great that there's a distro that caters to that crowd, because they'd otherwise be using a Mac or (worse) Windows.

I just prefer the more hands-on distros. I wish I knew how to generate WebOS packages, because there's an Arch Linux chroot available, but it's not packaged yet (and I don't know how to install it otherwise).
    Talk to the Army of Monkey folks, they have a packaged arch chroot they might share.

Or this
    https://github.com/crimsonredmk/Arch...hroot-TouchPad
    "The Gods do not protect fools, fools are merely protected by more capable fools"
    Quote Originally Posted by bable View Post
    Talk to the Army of Monkey folks, they have a packaged arch chroot they might share.

Or this
    https://github.com/crimsonredmk/Arch...hroot-TouchPad
    I did notice that, and stuck it in /usr/palm/applications/, and it showed up as an application, however it didn't generate the chroot environment the way Debian or Ubuntu did.

How would one talk to the army of monkey folks? (I'm not very up on webos).

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    I did notice that, and stuck it in /usr/palm/applications/, and it showed up as an application, however it didn't generate the chroot environment the way Debian or Ubuntu did.

How would one talk to the army of monkey folks? (I'm not very up on webos).

Thanks!
    Have you set up an arch installation before? Unless you're very comfortable with linux command line I'd recommend the ubuntu or debian builds. If you thought the Ubuntu chroot was minimal then arch will blow you away. Google says armys.of.monkeys@gmail.com is a good bet to contact folks although they're probably swamped.
    Quote Originally Posted by bable View Post
    Have you set up an arch installation before? Unless you're very comfortable with linux command line I'd recommend the ubuntu or debian builds. If you thought the Ubuntu chroot was minimal then arch will blow you away. Google says armys.of.monkeys@gmail.com is a good bet to contact folks although they're probably swamped.
    I run Arch exclusively on my PCs :-).

Love the distro bigtime. Curious how it works on my Touchpad.

EDIT:

Got it working sort of. Here's how:

Copied the source from here to /usr/palm/applications per the README file.

From there, I opened Xecutah, Xserver, then Xterm, and ran /usr/palm/applications/org.crimsonredmk.alarm-chroot/pmPostInstall.script with the command

Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    sh /usr/palm/applications/org.crimsonredmk.alarm-chroot/pmPostInstall.script
    It threw an error at the end, however it successfully downloaded the chroot environment. To enter the environment, I had to run

Code:
    sh /usr/palm/applications/org.crimsonredmk.alarm-chroot/bin/chroot-wrapper.sh
    I suppose I could make an alias in my .bashrc file, but I got in touch with the Army of Monkeys people to see if I can just get a package that'll work right. Time to tinker around with Arch!
    Last edited by mrmylanman; 09/09/2011 at 07:35 PM.
    bable likes this.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Hi, don't know if this issue has been discussed before but I just finished installing Ubuntu.

The problem I am having is that the HP virtual keyboard is too big and is covering up the bottom portion of the Xserver screen. I tried setting the size to XS using Tweeks but still can not see the bottom portion of the screen.

What am I doing wrong? Is there an option to install a different keyboard?

TIA
    Quote Originally Posted by csrow View Post
    Hi, don't know if this issue has been discussed before but I just finished installing Ubuntu.

The problem I am having is that the HP virtual keyboard is too big and is covering up the bottom portion of the Xserver screen. I tried setting the size to XS using Tweeks but still can not see the bottom portion of the screen.

What am I doing wrong? Is there an option to install a different keyboard?

TIA
    Hold down the bottom right key on the keyboard.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Well I followed all the steps listed here and the webos-internals for verbatim but I can't get Ubuntu to load. I get the following error:
    Service Error (execute):
    Unable to run command: /sbin/initctl start .org.webosinternals.ubuntu-natty-chroot 2>&1

initctl: (00729/379885634) Unknown job: org.webosinternals.ubuntu-natty-chroot

I also wasn't able to mount A (it tells me the directory doesn't exist even though I can navigate to it).

I don't ever remember changing the partition to 2GB and the OP doesn't mention how to (nor does the DIY on webOS internals), is this the issue? Do I need to recompile webosdoctor with the parameters of making the partition 2GB and then redoctor the device?

The linux penguin does pop up on boot up if that matters.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: My bad, I overlooked that step. Looks like I will have to redo that step.
    Last edited by Camron; 09/10/2011 at 05:16 AM.
  19. zc1
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Have any of you who successfully installed ubuntu on a touchpad been able to get a java plugin installed and working for Chromium or Firefox? I would greatly appreciate some help in this regard.
    Quote Originally Posted by zc1 View Post
    Have any of you who successfully installed ubuntu on a touchpad been able to get a java plugin installed and working for Chromium or Firefox? I would greatly appreciate some help in this regard.
    Hope somebody who's installed Ubuntu can answer this.

After reading 20 pages, only 1 poster said frame rate was awful so kinda worried about installing Ubuntu.

Also anybody who went Debian chime in?

Thanks