Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Like Tree88Likes
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    Just a question form someone new and non knowledgeable like me...

why install ubuntu? :-)
    Because it is just so fun playing around with these things! The big sold reason why though would be for complete Word Processing because we don't know if HP will be providing the QuickOffice Suite for the TouchPad anymore.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by charybdis View Post
    For those following the guide, when you compile meta doctor, don't forget to uncomment the part that actually sets up the ext3fs partition. It's around line 174 of the Makefile. (While you're at it, you might as well uncomment AUTO_INSTALL_PREWARE and INSTALL_SSH_AUTH_KEYS too, just to save yourself some time).
    Yeah did that and uncommented the WIFI profile option. Since I'm lazy, I also added support to the Makefile to restore a saved Bluetooth configuration.
    Dan Donovan
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepymas View Post
    I just went through all the steps and after editing the fstab... i type mount -a and i get

mount: mounting /dev/mapper/store/store-ext3fs on /media/ext3fs failed: No such file or directory

when i ls into media i see the ext3fs directory... i am not sure what i am doing wrong.. i just cut and pasted step by step and no errors come up until this step. lost

"edit: starting over... i think i missed the removing of # before create ext3fs.... crossing fingers as it loads"
    sounds like you forgot to create the ext3fs folder. Uninstall ubuntuChroot and redo that step.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    you can change pretty much everythign except the size of the window widgets, close/minimise etc, they remain TINY, annoyingly so.

and i havent tried RDP yet, i was using xtightvncviewer.
    Personally, I find iceWM to be a bit more finger-friendly.
    Optimize LXDE for touch:

Go to Preferences, OpenBox Configuration Manager, Appearance. Change Active title bar to something like size 16 and inactive to something like 15.

You can also go into customize look and feel and change the default font to something like 13 or so.
    Great work...thanks for sharing it with us...

Do you think that it is going to be possible to get the gnome interface running? Have you tried?

Cheers
    Rennat likes this.
    thank for the tutorial.

How does one make the keyboard XS?

current keyboard cuts off the bottom of the terminal window.
    Quote Originally Posted by lmbebo View Post
    thank for the tutorial.

How does one make the keyboard XS?

current keyboard cuts off the bottom of the terminal window.
    hold the keyboard icon far bottom right when it pops up, the same one you use to dismiss the keyboard, 4 size options appear.
    Quote Originally Posted by djamm View Post
    Great work...thanks for sharing it with us...

Do you think that it is going to be possible to get the gnome interface running? Have you tried?

Cheers
    gnome works, lxde, xfce4 even a full blown unity-2d, not come accross anything it hasnt used successfully so far, im trying the lot 1 by 1.
    djamm likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Optimize LXDE for touch:

Go to Preferences, OpenBox Configuration Manager, Appearance. Change Active title bar to something like size 16 and inactive to something like 15.

You can also go into customize look and feel and change the default font to something like 13 or so.
    ive tried all that but found the crippling factor to be..... widgits! we need bigger window widgits, solve that for me and your a legend.

Its great having big title bars, buttons, text etc, then you have to poke the minimise or close icons with a pinhead :/
    npmt likes this.
    ive tried all that but found the crippling factor to be..... widgits! we need bigger window widgits, solve that for me and your a legend.

Its great having big title bars, buttons, text etc, then you have to poke the minimise or close icons with a pinhead :/
    When I did this, the minimize and close icons got bigger.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    When I did this, the minimize and close icons got bigger.
    *daffy duck voice* ahhhh hate u rabbit.

Nah seriously mien all stay tiny and everything else gets bigger, ONLY my window widgets stay shrunk for some reason :/ if it works for you maybe ill just wipe that image out and retry it.
    While attempting to install LibreOffice it rebooted on me and now no matter when I try it gives me a "E:dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run "sudo dpkg --configure -a" to correct the problem.

When I run "sudo dpkg --configure -a" It says something like ... setting up Libre-office-common but then it reboots almost immediately...

Has anyone experienced this?
    "We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes non-work."
    Quote Originally Posted by frankdavis View Post
    While attempting to install LibreOffice it rebooted on me and now no matter when I try it gives me a "E:dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run "sudo dpkg --configure -a" to correct the problem.

When I run "sudo dpkg --configure -a" It says something like ... setting up Libre-office-common but then it reboots almost immediately...

Has anyone experienced this?
    do

sudo get-apt install synaptic
    or is it synaptics, i always forget.

nice package manager, run that in your desktop environment, search for LibreOffice, select the "LibreOffice" part, not the other stuff, and it will auto install the lot for you inc other dependancies.

if u want nething else, check synaptic package manager first, ittl even give a quick writeup on whatever you click.

i had some rogue vnc client go crashville on me a few times, been a tad better now i read about them in synaptics first.
    Last edited by geekpeter; 08/22/2011 at 12:23 AM.
    npmt likes this.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    how do I start unity? Any way to have it launch automatically?
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Thanks for the tutorial.

edit: i suck, would be nice if I found stuff I was looking for before posting. lol

Gonna try ubuntu later today hopefully.
    Last edited by golfnut; 08/22/2011 at 12:41 PM.
    I love Ubuntu, I have it on all my pc's at home (HATE WINDOWS!) However, what happened to the guys who wanted to port webOS to another phone? Now is the time to try that with version 3.0, since HP took out the gesture area, it should be much easier to port it to a phone with better specs, but on the same chipset. Also, since HP mentioned maybe rewriting webOS for other chipsets, that would allow more opportunities to port to other phones, maybe iPhone? How about it webOS internals? Think it's possible?

And now that webOS tablets have finally made it to the masses, many who have no clue what webOS is, this is when the Homebrew community can really shine. I think we need to have a telethon to support our guys!!!
    Thank you, Rennat for the super helpful tutorial and WebOS Internalz for all the hard work getting ubuntu setup to run on the touchpad. I can now use Eclipse with the Target Management plugin to ssh into work and deal with any issues for our web clients and all without carrying a 6-10lbs laptop around 24/7. I did have to install Gnome and load that up to get Eclipse to switch perspectives, after that Gnome isn't required as the preferences are saves. Thank again for all the hard work, I really appreciate it.
    gnome works, lxde, xfce4 even a full blown unity-2d, not come accross anything it hasnt used successfully so far, im trying the lot 1 by 1.
    You might also check out LXlauncher - nice, big icons instead of teeny, little start menu.
    Thanks for this! I have mine running nicely with LXDE. Any idea how to get right click working?
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast