Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021222328 ... LastLast
Like Tree88Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmylanman View Post
    I'm having a weird issue where the P key will not work. It works in xterm, but once a GUI environment starts, the P key fails to work. Kind of frustrating, but other than that it works great.
    I have this in xfce4, but not lxde
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by professordes View Post
    I have this in xfce4, but not lxde
    It's a keyboard shortcut setup in xfce4. Delete the shortcut from the preferences.
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
    Followed all the steps. After mounting the partition and restarting the tablet, all I get is the penguin logo screen. Novacom Win program, WebOs doctor and WebOS Quick install cannot see the tablet anymore.

Any help?
  4.    #344  
    Quote Originally Posted by uzevla View Post
    Followed all the steps. After mounting the partition and restarting the tablet, all I get is the penguin logo screen. Novacom Win program, WebOs doctor and WebOS Quick install cannot see the tablet anymore.

Any help?
    How To Recover - WebOS Internals

Put your device into recovery mode and doctor it. Vol-Down + Home when device turned off.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Hi guys, thought I would give ubuntu a shoot today but have run into an problem when running "mount -a".

Everything appears to have gone well with no errors, I have tux showing on my touchpad after running meta-doctor ok and loaded back into webOS with developer mode on. I have ran the following in webOS command tool...

mount -o remount,rw /
    mkdir -p /media/ext3fs
    mount -o remount,rw / (ok I know this is not needed but I have tried it with and without)

echo "/dev/mapper/store-ext3fs /media/ext3fs ext3 noatime,data=writeback 0 0" >> /etc/fstab

These all returned me back to Touchpad# with no errors but when I try "mount -a" I am getting "No such file or directory". I can physically go in to the directory with "cd /media/ext3fs" but it will not accept mount -a.

What is going on? I have read through the topic twice and re-ran the procedure 3 times, I can't figure it out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    My guess is that you had an error in the echo line.

Try:
    Code:
    cat /etc/fstab
    Compare the last line of that to what you are supposed to have and check for an error.

Good luck!
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Thank you zane9000, i am still having issues with accessing the drive :?

After trying again and re-creating the makefile (uncommenting ext3fs with 4gb), i am still not getting in... GGGRRREEEAAAAHHHH!!! lol

I tried "cat" and got this

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w.../novaterm4.png

Nothing in there says anything about a 4gb space, I can't see what I have missed from the walk through, it would be nice if we could copy and paste into novaterm but i don't believe I have made the same mistake several times over.

This is my first experience with meta-doctor too, I think i may have to call in the monkeys.
    OK, as I suspected, your echo command was messed up.

What you typed was:
    Code:
    echo "/dev/mapper/store-ext3fs /media/ext3fs noatime,data=writeback 0 0" >> /etc/fstab
    What you should have typed is:
    Code:
    echo "/dev/mapper/store-ext3fs /media/ext3fs ext3 noatime,data=writeback 0 0" >> /etc/fstab
    I have attached a correct fstab for you. Just take off the .txt extension and copy it to /etc/fstab with webOS Quick Install (Tools>Send File).
    Attached Files Attached Files
    MINKIN2 and blobos like this.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Thank you for that file mate I found the problem with help from your last post.

For some reason /etc/fstab was listed but fstab was not a directory, so it would not copy. I had to delete fstab and run "mkdir fstab" within etc to re-create the directory before placing the file in there

i ran mount -a and it returned back with no errors

Thank you again
    decalex and blobos like this.
    Im glad it worked for you! Just so you know, fstab is not supposed to be a directory, just a file. The file I provided you should have been placed in the /etc/ directory. Sorry if that wasn't clear. You may want to make sure that the file wound up being copied to the correct place or you may have issues when you reboot.
    Looks good. Can't wait to try
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Ooops, Thanks zane, I have swapped it back.

fingers crossed

Edit: placed the fstab file back into /etc/ and ran mount -a again but getting the error "mounting /dev/mapper/store-ext3fs on /media/ext3fs failed: no such file or diretory" again?
    Last edited by MINKIN2; 09/06/2011 at 01:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
    Ooops, Thanks zane, I have swapped it back.

fingers crossed

Edit: placed the fstab file back into /etc/ and ran mount -a again but getting the error "mounting /dev/mapper/store-ext3fs on /media/ext3fs failed: no such file or diretory" again?
    minkin2, is /dev/mapper/store-ext3fs missing?
    look using:
    ls /dev/mapper/sto*
  14.    #354  
    Anyone here willing to make a quick writeup on how to boot up into LXDE at startup so you can have full screen without a bluetooth keyboard?

//FIXED http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...on-ubuntu.html
    Last edited by Rennat; 09/06/2011 at 03:45 PM.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by konsole View Post
    minkin2, is /dev/mapper/store-ext3fs missing?
    look using:
    ls /dev/mapper/sto*
    it appears as though it is, hmmm....

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w.../novaterm5.png

Looks like I am going to have to try again
    it appears as though it is, hmmm....

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w.../novaterm5.png

Looks like I am going to have to try again
    From that screen shot we can see that the ext3fs partition is mounted. It is a bit strange that you are getting an error. Do a "cat /etc/fstab" again and compare it to the file I posed earlier. Are they the same (specifically the I am curious about the correction I made to it. The third field of the last line should be "ext3")?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaerey View Post
    It's a keyboard shortcut setup in xfce4. Delete the shortcut from the preferences.
    Thanks for the heads up. I noticed it in there, but I ended up going with Debian instead, and it works great.

Upgraded to Sid without a hitch, and now I have super fresh packages of everything! Only problem is Chromium won't install, but that looks like a problem with Debian Sid more than anything else. I'll look into that later.

I'd sorta recommend that over Ubuntu, but that's just personal preference, really. Ubuntu is easier to use.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Hi zane, i have checked cat /etc/fstab again and it looks identical as the original file

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w.../novaterm6.png
    HOW TO: Autostart XFCE/LXDE if you have Virtual Keyboard in Ubuntu and no Bluetooth'd

Quick remake of someone elses method with no drawbacks, simply edit (leafpad/whatever)

/root/.bashrc

and insert at the far bottom

if [ -z "$DESKTOP_SESSION" ]; then
    /bin/go
    fi

/bin/go being my script that starts my xfce4 and a few other things, if you dont use a script just use start-xfce4, startx, unity-2d-launcher or whatever else it is you use in place of my /bin/go.

if you dont use XFCE4 and use LXDE or something else simply do this beforehand.

after you have ran the ubuntu chroot type

ENV

lots of environment variables appear, printscreen or take note of them then run your desktop environment as usual, open a terminal and then type ENV once more.

you should have LOTS more env variables than before, if you have a DESKTOP_SESSION variable then my script addin will work, so stop right there.

if not, pick any NEW variable that was added and simply use that instead in my script in place of DESKTOP_SESSION.

now when you launch the chroot env, your startup script will execute, but when you run a terminal after this it will not attempt to re-execute your startup script and will simply work as usual.

this fixes the lack of requiring a physical keyboard to launch your desktop if using a virtual one in the desktop env.

see attachment to see how mine looks, this should work for any desktop env/setup you have.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by geekpeter; 09/06/2011 at 05:32 PM.
    funkbuqet42 likes this.
    Hi zane, i have checked cat /etc/fstab again and it looks identical as the original file

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w.../novaterm6.png
    You do have the corrected fstab there so I would say to reboot the device and see what happens. I guess you might need to doctor it again since the /dev/mapper/store-ext3fs is missing altogether.