Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920212227 ... LastLast
Like Tree88Likes
    qole, could you post a bit more about how you got the Florence keyboard working please? I am currently using the touchpad keyboard with remapped keys using xkbset. It works pretty well as there are plenty of foreign letter available that I don't use (i.e. I remapped ē to be etc) but it Doesn't seem to support hitting more than one key at a time and I cannot get sticky keys to work so I cannot do important things like ctl+c.

or does anyone know how to get sticky keys is xkbset to work with the to keyboard?

I am currently using icewm as t seems to work better for me than lxde did if it makes any difference. I would like to move to a launcher based manager like I saw posted a couple pages back though.
    Last edited by funkbuqet42; 09/03/2011 at 12:56 PM. Reason: typo
    Quote Originally Posted by projectalarum View Post
    I've gotten the netbook style launcher working and I do have to say it's sexy as all hell. I'm not 100% sure what all I did to get it working so I'm going to perform another fresh install and minize the junk to make it as simple as possible; lightweight too. But anyways, here's some screen shots...
    what window manager / launcher are you using? And have you had any luck figuring out what you did to make it work? It looks awesome and I have had little luck getting gnome with unity running on my tp.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Maybe I missed it somewhere in this thread, but how do you set the <esc> key? I use an external BT keyboard, and the <esc> is not recognized (xev does not see key pressed). Would love to use vi, but cannot without this key. How would you set that in the vkeyboard?

Thanks for the gnome-terminal, and libgtkstylus tips.
    LXDE with gnome panel and netbook-launcher-efl

Added the linux mint icon theme and mintMenu. mintMenu worked well but didn't add enough functionality to justify the overhead, so i went back to the regular gnome menu.

I'm using the window picker applet with maximus, though I am trying to figure out how to make openbox undecorate maximized windows. Maximus is a little buggy. This setup saves a little vertical screen realestate.

Edit: Figured out openbox. Just modify lxde-rc.xml to undecorate and maximize various applications in the applications section.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Willard; 09/04/2011 at 11:34 AM. Reason: openbox
    andresmmm likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by gnulinux View Post
    I just want to add my experience so far. I'm currently running the "classic" gnome by first changing user

Code:
    su webos
    and then

Code:
    gnome-session --session=2d-gnome
    I've automated everything by creating a script in /home/webos/start.sh

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    export GTK_MODULES=libgtkstylus.so
    gnome-session --session=2d-gnome
    and adding the following at the end of /root/.bashrc

Code:
    sudo -u webos /home/webos/start.sh
    I'm also using the Florence virtual keyboard since it's the only one that meet my needs (just make sure you set the layout to standard 101 keyboard and add it to the autostart)
    With a couple of modifications, this works for me to automatically start xfce, thanks! Unfortunately now every time I start a terminal window within xfce it keeps loading start.sh. Any ideas for how to let it do this just once? Perhaps have it run a check to see if xfce is already running and go through the script if not but if so, just go to prompt?

*Edit -- Got it fixed. And with the setxkbmap us from qole, Florence works now too.
    Last edited by PickleFart9; 09/03/2011 at 11:13 PM.
    I'm a total noob to Ubuntu, I got this running with the lxde and its pretty good and already used it to extract zips which is what I mainly wanted. I now have a problem though, the file manager app doesn't want to open. It did at first but now it doesn't.. I think it happened after installing either synergy or florence keyboard(which i want to unistall but donno how).. any thoughts on why its broken? Also I know I read some where about a hold to right click mod/app and about a good rdp app? but I cant find the page now?... It all seems really good and works great but everythings so tiny to click I wish there was a way to make all the toolbars etc a little bigger or just a nicer ui for TP
    Quote Originally Posted by funkbuqet42 View Post
    qole, could you post a bit more about how you got the Florence keyboard working please? I am currently using the touchpad keyboard with remapped keys using xkbset. It works pretty well as there are plenty of foreign letter available that I don't use (i.e. I remapped ē to be etc) but it Doesn't seem to support hitting more than one key at a time and I cannot get sticky keys to work so I cannot do important things like ctl+c.

or does anyone know how to get sticky keys is xkbset to work with the to keyboard?

I am currently using icewm as t seems to work better for me than lxde did if it makes any difference. I would like to move to a launcher based manager like I saw posted a couple pages back though.
    try KVKBD if Florence doesnt work, tho u need 101 keyboard set or you see weird chars, and doing so seems to break the HP Bluetooth keyboard mapping in the process.
    I needed the latest XServer to get Florence to run, and I had to install
    Code:
    apt-get install x11-xkb-utils
    and run
    Code:
    setxkbmap us
    before launching LXDE or the keyboard mapping is totally messed up.
    anyone know how to get rid of the xterm window after we have booted up LXDE/XFCE/whichever else from shell?

atm im just using a crappy script added into XFCE4's startup that just does...

xtermcontrol --iconify

and the xterm window vanishes, well sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt, seems to have a mind of its own, also a solution that just pushed the xterm window to a spare workspace would be handy.
    I found xtermcontrol worked reliably if I added it to my startup script with a slight delay rather than lxde's autostart files.

My start script is as follows:

Code:
    su - <userprofile> -c "startlxde" &
    mount /mnt/internal &
    sleep 2 && xtermcontrol --iconify &
    makes for a cleaner looking start since netbook-launcher-efl kicks off a bunch of errors

Thanks for the tip geekpeter
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    I have not been able to get the ubuntu-netbook to work. Are people just using the directions on the webosinternals wiki page for Ubuntu Netbook Remix?
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
    I use the netbook-launcher-efl package. I think ubuntu-netbook in natty was replaced with unity. Maverick or even Lucid might be the last ubuntu version with the ubuntu-netbook-remix. Note that netbook-launcher (withOUT the -efl) points to unity in natty repositories.
    Last edited by Willard; 09/04/2011 at 01:11 PM. Reason: correction in caps
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostknyght View Post
    So to derail this conversation slightly, I bought the humble indie bundle The Humble Indie Bundle #3 (pay what you want for five awesome indie games), and just used the simplified version of this install to try out ubuntu. Anyone think I can install and run the simplest of those games through ubuntu?
    No, these will not work on your touchpad. They are compiled for i686 and amd64 CPUs, not for arm7.
    I'm having a weird issue where the P key will not work. It works in xterm, but once a GUI environment starts, the P key fails to work. Kind of frustrating, but other than that it works great.
    Hello,

Do anyone know which linux header files I have to use in the ubuntu chroot and there I can find them?
    apt-get intstall linux-headers-gerneric fails.

thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tugato View Post
    Hello,

Do anyone know which linux header files I have to use in the ubuntu chroot and there I can find them?
    apt-get intstall linux-headers-gerneric fails.

thanks
    I think you're a bit SOL in this respect, because the kernel being run is not an Ubuntu kernel, but the one on your Touchpad, of which there probably aren't header files in the repos.
    I have noticed this.
    I think I need linux-headers-2.6.35-palm tenderloin (If I wrote the output correctly), but don't know there to find them. I know that the ubuntu repo is the wrong place to search.
    any idea on how to get palm rejection on ubuntu? so i can write with a stylus while resting my hand on the screen?
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    anyone know how to get rid of the xterm window after we have booted up LXDE/XFCE/whichever else from shell?

atm im just using a crappy script added into XFCE4's startup that just does...

xtermcontrol --iconify

and the xterm window vanishes, well sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt, seems to have a mind of its own, also a solution that just pushed the xterm window to a spare workspace would be handy.
    I used wmctrl to move it to the secondary desktop in LXDE. You can do this automatically by putting the attached file (renamed without the .txt of course) in your ~/.config/autostart directory. As soon as LXDE starts it runs the following command
    Code:
    wmctrl -r chroot-wrapper -t 1
    and gets rid of the terminal window.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    I saw couple of posts here where people got the "netbook-launcher-efl" working where I am having bit of a trouble installing it. Any help?

Basically, All I did was install LXDE, then install GNOME-APPLET and then install NETBOOK-LAUNCHER and NETBOOK-LAUNCHER-EFL. But how do I get it to start?

I initially run Ubuntu using "startlxde" then I open up a terminal and run "gnome-applet" and it changes into gnome desktop but when I type "netbook-launcher" in another terminal. It says, file not found and if I try, "netbook-launcher-efl", it spits out following errors:

ERR: conf.c:395 conf_init() could not get $HOME or $TMPDIR.
    ERR: conf.c:453 conf_init() could not init conf.
    ERR: conf.c:496 conf_init() could not init conf subsystem.

What exactly am I missing here?
    Last edited by tylerdurden83; 09/05/2011 at 02:38 PM.