Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 320 of 581
Like Tree88Likes
  1. #301  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloom View Post
    I have gotten ubuntu working and everything seems fine, except I can't download files greater than 40mb in chromium. This seems to be because there is only 40mb left in the /tmp folder. Can someone tell me how to increase the size of this folder, as the same problem means I uncompress files larger than 40mb, even though I set a 4gb partition for linux, and I have almost 3gb free.
    try a program called "BleachBit" it erases lots of unwanted/temp data from your ubuntu install, i have it run every startup to clean things out.
  2. #302  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloom View Post
    I have gotten ubuntu working and everything seems fine, except I can't download files greater than 40mb in chromium. This seems to be because there is only 40mb left in the /tmp folder. Can someone tell me how to increase the size of this folder, as the same problem means I uncompress files larger than 40mb, even though I set a 4gb partition for linux, and I have almost 3gb free.
    I don't know if this is a good idea, but what I did is I changed the folder Chrome downloads to.
    I've chosen a folder in the TP's memory so I don't use ubuntu's space.
    Specifically, webOS's downloads folder.


    And sorry if I ask here (crosspost with the other thread) but could you guys tell me how large is your ubuntu partition, and how much TOTAL space Windows sees on your TP when you mount it as USB drive?
    thank you!
  3.    #303  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloom View Post
    I have gotten ubuntu working and everything seems fine, except I can't download files greater than 40mb in chromium. This seems to be because there is only 40mb left in the /tmp folder. Can someone tell me how to increase the size of this folder, as the same problem means I uncompress files larger than 40mb, even though I set a 4gb partition for linux, and I have almost 3gb free.
    You could do another Doctor with a bigger partition. But your best bet would be to try to use lvm and resize the partition. You may loose data and have to doctor anyway after that but it is your best bet if you want to keep your current position.

    Here is how:

    - Connect your TouchPad and connect via Quick Install's terminal to it.
    - type: lvm
    - type: help (this will help you know what to do.)
    - type: lvscan you will see all the partitions
    - now you have to reduce the /media/internal partition by how much you want to add by using lvreduce -L -##g /dev/store/media (replace ## with the GB amount you want to take away to add to the ext3fs partition for Ubuntu, if you want to do megabytes then replace the g with a 'm')
    - extend the Ubuntu partition ext3fs that you see when typing lvscan by how much you just reduced the media partition using lvextend -L ##g /dev/store/ext3fs (then of course replace the ## with the same amount you did before)
    Last edited by Rennat; 09/01/2011 at 04:56 PM.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  4. #304  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloom View Post
    I have gotten ubuntu working and everything seems fine, except I can't download files greater than 40mb in chromium. This seems to be because there is only 40mb left in the /tmp folder. Can someone tell me how to increase the size of this folder, as the same problem means I uncompress files larger than 40mb, even though I set a 4gb partition for linux, and I have almost 3gb free.
    Stop using the root account. If you run Chromium as a regular user it will download to your home directory.
  5. #305  
    Sorry to cross post, but this question may belong more in this thread.
    If I use the army of monkey's doctor, will I still receive future Webos OTA updates or will I have to create new metadoctored update each time in order to maintain the ability to use a linux partition?
    Also, can the already prepared doctor be modified to create a larger than 2gb partition,or does that have to be done prior to the making of the doctor?
  6. #306  
    Hi using a different user doesnt stop the error:

    Verifying archive integrity... All good.
    Not enough space left in /tmp (40764 KB) to decompress (212440 KB)
    Consider setting TMPDIR to a directory with more free space.

    I have over 3GB free on the linux partition, so I dont understand how tmp is getting full.
  7. #307  
    Was NETFLIX able to run on the Firefox browser?
  8. #308  
    I just want to add my experience so far. I'm currently running the "classic" gnome by first changing user

    Code:
    su webos
    and then

    Code:
    gnome-session --session=2d-gnome
    I've automated everything by creating a script in /home/webos/start.sh

    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    export GTK_MODULES=libgtkstylus.so
    gnome-session --session=2d-gnome
    and adding the following at the end of /root/.bashrc

    Code:
    sudo -u webos /home/webos/start.sh
    I'm also using the Florence virtual keyboard since it's the only one that meet my needs (just make sure you set the layout to standard 101 keyboard and add it to the autostart)
  9. #309  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloom View Post
    Hi using a different user doesnt stop the error:

    Verifying archive integrity... All good.
    Not enough space left in /tmp (40764 KB) to decompress (212440 KB)
    Consider setting TMPDIR to a directory with more free space.

    I have over 3GB free on the linux partition, so I dont understand how tmp is getting full.
    By default, the chroot environment has a 40MB /tmp (ramdisk) partition. This is used to reduce wear on the SSD.

    You have 2 choices: Either tell the program to not use /tmp, or disable the ramdisk.

    The error message suggests you can set TMPDIR to something else to avoid using /tmp. To do this, instead of launching the program normally, run the program using the commandline or run dialog:
    Code:
    TMPDIR=/var/tmp name-of-program
    To disable the ramdisk, execute the following as the first thing you do in the chroot (above your lxsession command):
    Code:
    umount /tmp
  10. #310  
    Quote Originally Posted by kravenz View Post
    Was NETFLIX able to run on the Firefox browser?
    Haven't gotten Ubuntu working yet, but I'm guessing this is very unlikely. Netflix runs on Silverlight, and there's no Linux version of Silverlight that includes the required DRM. There should be a Linux-based Netflix client within the next year, but for now I don't believe there is any possible way (except something like PlayOn) to get Netflix on the TouchPad.
  11. #311  
    Quote Originally Posted by zirrar View Post
    Tried to read all the comments but I may have missed what I needed.

    I have followed all the steps but get stuck at the Install Ubuntu Chroot stage. It downloads the file and then I get an IPKG Log - and error reads:

    (see image attached)

    I am using Novaterm to mount the ext3fs partition and i get no error messages. So I assume its mounted.

    Any guidance appreciated.
    I'm having exactly the same problem. I know that's not very helpful, but at least it's not just you! I'd also appreciate any suggestions, as I've tried installing Ubuntu Chroot several times and it's always broken here.
  12. #312  
    I have downloaded some files onto my Ubuntu installation and now want to hook it up to my desktop and transfer the files over.

    How do I go about doing this?
  13. #313  
    Quote Originally Posted by zane9000 View Post
    Stop using the root account. If you run Chromium as a regular user it will download to your home directory.
    So to derail this conversation slightly, I bought the humble indie bundle The Humble Indie Bundle #3 (pay what you want for five awesome indie games), and just used the simplified version of this install to try out ubuntu. Anyone think I can install and run the simplest of those games through ubuntu?
  14. #314  
    This was very easy to do given my knowledge of metadoctor from the pre 2.1 updates. It didn't even wipe my data drive, which surprised me because it was recreating the partitions. Still, everyone remember to use Save/Restore and save a list of your packages list in Preware before you try this.

    Happily running XFCE with Synaptic package manager installed and adding applications like crazy. The only problem I'm having is of course with the tablet's on screen keyboard. Glad to hear that the ability to close it may get added in the future, and I can only imagine what else we'll be able to do if USB host support is possible.

    This is only going to get better...
  15. #315  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    You could do another Doctor with a bigger partition. But your best bet would be to try to use lvm and resize the partition. You may loose data and have to doctor anyway after that but it is your best bet if you want to keep your current position.

    Here is how:

    - Connect your TouchPad and connect via Quick Install's terminal to it.
    - type: lvm
    - type: help (this will help you know what to do.)
    - type: lvscan you will see all the partitions
    - now you have to reduce the /media/internal partition by how much you want to add by using lvreduce -L -##g /dev/store/media (replace ## with the GB amount you want to take away to add to the ext3fs partition for Ubuntu, if you want to do megabytes then replace the g with a 'm')
    - extend the Ubuntu partition ext3fs that you see when typing lvscan by how much you just reduced the media partition using lvextend -L ##g /dev/store/ext3fs (then of course replace the ## with the same amount you did before)
    I have done this and the new drive size shows up on lvscan but my disk still says it's full, even when I download to the root directory.
  16. #316  
    Turn's out I was wrong about host support, sorry lol
  17. #317  
    Typing this in Firefox! On my Touchpad! In fullscreen!

    Screenshots:


    This post!


    My favorite Tablet plugins
    Last edited by qole; 09/03/2011 at 02:26 AM. Reason: added flickr links
  18. #318  
    Quote Originally Posted by qole View Post
    Typing this in Firefox! On my Touchpad! In fullscreen!

    Screenshots:


    My favorite Tablet plugins
    nice! what virtual keyboard is that youre using?
  19. #319  
    does anyone know how to delete the ext3fs partition and recover the space that was used? Thanks in advance.
  20. KCIsaac's Avatar
    Posts
    25 Posts
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    #320  
    I would like to know how to do what simon_lefisch asked

Posting Permissions