Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast
Like Tree88Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Thanks, I had caught the rest of the command but I think I typed it wrong, looking at your example was a great help.

Now for the right click, I did type the following for right click, I am working in root and wondering if I need to type this each time I start ubuntu?
    export GTK_MODULES=libgtkstylus.so

The easiest thing to do is put the export command as the second line of the file /usr/bin/startlxde. That way when you use startlxde to start your session it is already loaded.

edit: you may want to consider using easystroke as a backup right click. I have found a few places libgtkstylus doesn't work right.
    Quote Originally Posted by dtzWill View Post
    You can do this in a variety of ways, but here's the first that comes to mind:

Take a look at chroot-wrapper.sh in your chroot's APPDIR--replace "chroot ${CHROOT} /bin/bash" with "chroot ${CHROOT} lxsession" and you should be good to go.

Enjoy!
    i'm still trying to figure out where i can find that chroot wrapper... i've been looking for it but found nothing..
    the "main" folder where all others are just doesnt have it inside.. so idk! it would really be nice to finally be able to use the whole screen even without a bt keyboard!

also, i got the mount commands working at first and could see the other folders in the touchpad, but now i cant see them anymore :-<
    Quote Originally Posted by mkln View Post
    i'm still trying to figure out where i can find that chroot wrapper... i've been looking for it but found nothing..
    the "main" folder where all others are just doesnt have it inside.. so idk! it would really be nice to finally be able to use the whole screen even without a bt keyboard!

also, i got the mount commands working at first and could see the other folders in the touchpad, but now i cant see them anymore :-<
    I think your best bet is to modify .bashrc as described previously in this thread. chroot-wrapper.sh is located in ubuntu-natty-chroot application directory on the webOS side as accessed by internalz. Honestly I would just leave that file alone for fear of breaking the whole system. The .bashrc method is much, much easier.
    What are the chances to extract packets from that ubuntu and make it available as a touchpad app? Like... isolating the rdesktop client and have it available on webOS would match a desire many people have.
    Tried to read all the comments but I may have missed what I needed.

I have followed all the steps but get stuck at the Install Ubuntu Chroot stage. It downloads the file and then I get an IPKG Log - and error reads:

(see image attached)

I am using Novaterm to mount the ext3fs partition and i get no error messages. So I assume its mounted.

Any guidance appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Anyone have the updated location of the meta-doctor.git? getting file not found when git'ing via the OPs url.
    Would it be possible to run xbmc through this method? Would anyone like to try it out? I'm actually certain it will get stuck at a point but I'm wondering where and if it's possible to get it working.
    Quote Originally Posted by Centrico View Post
    SO are you saying it is possible to put the wireless card into monitor mode or not?

What about the mini-usb, what are the chances of attaching a wireless adapter card to that...?
    Right now its not possible because the wireless card is bridged to the chroot via eth0. I'm not sure if a wireless adapter would work due to the fact that so far the chroot doesn't play well with the usb port. You'd also need drivers installed.
    I'm trying to download the Ubuntu chroot to put on my Pre, I've tried about 30 times through preware, and several times downloading from the feed with Firefox/IE, and it keeps getting interrupted and resetting the connection. Is there any way I could get a download for the org.webosinternals.ubuntu-natty-chroot_11.04-2_arm.ipk or the org.webosinternals.ubuntu-natty-chroot_11.04-3_arm.ipk (whichever one is the one I'm needing to use) on a resume-supported connection, or split into smaller pieces? (like in a ZIP)

Thanks
  10.    #290  
    Got another video up of VNC working in Ubuntu Chroot! Its a little rough around the edges and you do need to follow geekpeter's right click writeup on the 3rd page of this thread because scrolling works with right click (down) and left click(up). I love feedback of any sort here, YouTube or even Twitter. Thanks guys!

"Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    projectalarum likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by acronym View Post
    Would it be possible to run xbmc through this method? Would anyone like to try it out? I'm actually certain it will get stuck at a point but I'm wondering where and if it's possible to get it working.
    I dug around a bit, seems there wasn't ever going to be any development towards getting XBMC onto the ARM platform, however, It sounds like they've been pressured enough to pursue it. Last I heard though, that whole project was under nda...
    Quote Originally Posted by trevor.starick View Post
    Right now its not possible because the wireless card is bridged to the chroot via eth0. I'm not sure if a wireless adapter would work due to the fact that so far the chroot doesn't play well with the usb port. You'd also need drivers installed.
    I don't think the Touchpad supports USB host, so I think you're right. Another problem, and I'm not 100% sure about this, but I don't think the existing drivers support injection amongst other things problems. I could be wrong, but I'm still working on it... Or
    Quote Originally Posted by projectalarum View Post
    I dug around a bit, seems there wasn't ever going to be any development towards getting XBMC onto the ARM platform, however, It sounds like they've been pressured enough to pursue it. Last I heard though, that whole project was under nda...
    Ah yes. I had forgotten about it having to be arm compatible. Would you know any other player that could work? I've read somewhere before that vlc had an audio problem which kind of implied that the video is working, so that's good news. Or maybe mplayer?
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    This thread is very exciting and I am eager to try to put Ubuntu on my touchpad in order to use Chromium, Gimp, remote desktop, etc. This is probably a very naive question but I am a total newbie to the world of Linux, so please excuse me. I know the touchpad is formatted FAT32 and such has a 2 gb restriction on file size. As such I am unable to play most of my 720p movies in Kalemsoft Media Player (works great btw) without splitting them. Does putting Ubuntu and making a partition size of say, 8 gb, solve any of that? Also what media player exists for Ubuntu that could handle a 720p file?

Thanks for your assistance.
    Help needed!

I am new to the webos and a novice regarding ubuntu. I got my touchpad 32 GB and followed the tutorial to make a 8GB ext3fs partition ( I set the ext3fs to mount at bootup by the code munt -a). I installed ubuntu chroot and everything was fine (well only problem is that Xecutah window always runs in landscape mode no matter how I rotate my touchpad).

Two days ago I shut down the touchpad and after that I could not go into normal webos interface anymore. After I power on the touchpad, I have the webos/linux peguin icon doing the lighting-up and dim cycling at the center of the screen, then it changes to the HP icon doing the same lighting-up and dim cycling at the center of the screen. At the end my touchpad gives a nice beep sound and its screen turns totally black for one or two seconds and then repeats the whole cycle again.

Do I need to press any button to get into the normal webos interface or I did something wrong?

Really appreciate for your help!

Sean
    Last edited by sean_nj; 09/01/2011 at 02:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbila View Post
    This thread is very exciting and I am eager to try to put Ubuntu on my touchpad in order to use Chromium, Gimp, remote desktop, etc. This is probably a very naive question but I am a total newbie to the world of Linux, so please excuse me. I know the touchpad is formatted FAT32 and such has a 2 gb restriction on file size. As such I am unable to play most of my 720p movies in Kalemsoft Media Player (works great btw) without splitting them. Does putting Ubuntu and making a partition size of say, 8 gb, solve any of that? Also what media player exists for Ubuntu that could handle a 720p file?

Thanks for your assistance.
    Im not sure that Ububtu will be a good solution for you at this point. While you are correct that the ext3 file system will solve one problem, the playback quality is not so great. I have VLC running on mine which can play video, but drops a lot of frames. Also, audio is a bit questionable right now. I'm not saying it will never work, I'm just saying that there are kinks that still need to be worked first.
    Quote Originally Posted by sean_nj View Post
    Help needed!

I am new to the webos and a novice regarding ubuntu. I got my touchpad 32 GB and followed the tutorial to make a 8GB ext3fs partition ( I set the ext3fs to mount at bootup by the code munt -a). I installed ubuntu chroot and everything was fine (well only problem is that Xecutah window always runs in landscape mode no matter how I rotate my touchpad).

Two days ago I shut down the touchpad and after that I could not go into normal webos interface anymore. After I power on the touchpad, I have the webos/linux peguin icon doing the lighting-up and dim cycling at the center of the screen, then it changes to the HP icon doing the same lighting-up and dim cycling at the center of the screen. At the end my touchpad gives a nice beep sound and its screen turns totally black for one or two seconds and then repeats the whole cycle again.

Do I need to press any button to get into the normal webos interface or I did something wrong?

Really appreciate for your help!

Sean
    Sounds like something went wrong and you need to doctor your Touchpad
    Does flash work in this version of chromium ? or can you download firefox with the flash plugin ?
    Quote Originally Posted by limitbreak View Post
    Does flash work in this version of chromium ? or can you download firefox with the flash plugin ?
    u can download lightspark and gnash, then the mozilla browser plugin which also works for chromium (should).
    I have gotten ubuntu working and everything seems fine, except I can't download files greater than 40mb in chromium. This seems to be because there is only 40mb left in the /tmp folder. Can someone tell me how to increase the size of this folder, as the same problem means I uncompress files larger than 40mb, even though I set a 4gb partition for linux, and I have almost 3gb free.