Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
Like Tree88Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Centrico View Post
    This is great. BackTrack is based on Ubuntu, is it possible to install it instead?

BackTrack Linux - Penetration Testing Distribution
    Exactly the thought I had when this whole adventure started.... I will be testing this out soon as well, could be useful in my line of work.
    Centrico and bable like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by projectalarum View Post
    To those interested, I've found a build/method which seems pretty solid. For what I'm after anyways (RDP to work and Doc editing).

With a fresh install of Ubuntu Chroot, I've added the following.

Note* I've found great luck with using apt-get --no-install-recommends to reduce excess apps and I still have a fully funtional environment with next to zero problems. I know there's a way to tell apt to not install/include recommended packages, but I can't remember it for the life of me...

For a GUI/Desktop Environment i'm using xfce4:
    apt-get --no-install-recommends install xfce4

For RDP I'm using grdesktop which I've tested with Windows XP, 7, and Windows Server 2000, 2003, and 2008; locally and through VPN to my work:
    apt-get --no-install-recommends install grdesktop

VNC i'm not too worried about but it would be nice. If anyone has any suggestions on a VNC client under xfce that works well, please let me know.

I performed the same --no-install-recommends on abiword, GIMP, and Chromium; all of which function perfectly without recommended packages.

The only package that wouldn't run properly without the recommened packages was Synaptic. It installed, but would not run. Reinstalling it with the recommended packages works.

I also had a working terminal out of the box.

My biggest hitch is the keyboard... Being that I want RDP functionality more than anything, I'm trying to not use the Virtual keyboard to save space. All keys work in grdesktop during a connection. But anywhere else, the p key mainly, does not work. And it's becoming more and more of a pain. Can't do any apt statements as only upper-case p is working.... If anyone can help me with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

I want to get pidgin working with our IM service at work, however, my credentials and parts of the connection details require this damn p key......
    XFCE4 comes as standard using several keyboard shortcuts with modifiers which on our touchpad end up as standard keys, find the prefs for those shortcuts and just delete them. I forget where they are atm, but their in 1 of the prefs programs, keyboards fine after that.

for VNC and RDP try remmina, works perfectly for me and I use XFCE4 the most as well.
    Hello,

I am getting the following error when I try to make a new WebOs doctor file even though I followed the instructions in the WebOs wiki.

ewalker@ubuntu:~/meta-doctor/downloads$ make DEVICE=touchpad CARRIER=wifi all
    make: *** No rule to make target `all'. Stop.
    ewalker@ubuntu:~/meta-doctor/downloads$ cd ..
    ewalker@ubuntu:~/meta-doctor$ make DEVICE=touchpad CARRIER=wifi all
    make unpack patch pack
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/ewalker/meta-doctor'
    mkdir -p downloads
    Please download the correct version of the webOS Doctor .jar file
    and then move it to downloads/webosdoctorp302hstnhwifi-3.0.2.jar (i.e. the downloads directory that was just created under the current directory).
    make[1]: *** [downloads/webosdoctorp302hstnhwifi-3.0.2.jar] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ewalker/meta-doctor'
    make: *** [all] Error 2

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ed
    Just rename the downloaded jar file to "webosdoctorp302hstnhwifi-3.0.2.jar".
    kayphoonstar, Thank you for your help. I will post it as soon as I get home from work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Centrico View Post
    This is great. BackTrack is based on Ubuntu, is it possible to install it instead?

BackTrack Linux - Penetration Testing Distribution
    Only problem is that Backtrack's kernel is slightly different and adding most of the backtrack environment will break some things. I have managed to get it functional for the most part, but it does take quite a few work-arounds.

I may have better luck with creating a whole new build rather than using ubuntu chroot to base it off of. I'll keep you all posted if any make any marginal progress.
    Centrico likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    XFCE4 comes as standard using several keyboard shortcuts with modifiers which on our touchpad end up as standard keys, find the prefs for those shortcuts and just delete them. I forget where they are atm, but their in 1 of the prefs programs, keyboards fine after that.

for VNC and RDP try remmina, works perfectly for me and I use XFCE4 the most as well.
    YOU ARE FRIGGIN AMAZING!!! Thank you! This has been driving me bat $hit crazy..... Now for the tab key..... lol again, thank you very much.

Trying out remmina now....
    remmina works beautifully. It only showed ssh and sftp as available protocols, but after rebooting it showed everything; ssh, sftp, rdp, vnc (incoming and outgoing).

I've tried all and had no issues except with ssh, which I believe to be an issue on our server here at work. (I know I should be working, but when the other nw admin is playing on his touchpad too, I don't feel so bad, plus, I converted him from Apple....) All have proven to work really well, locally and through either teh tubez or through vpn. Couldn't be happier!

Also, with today's update to Xserver, it seems a lot of other issues have cleared up as well. Graphics now look as intended, no more shading issues or transparency problems. I can pretty much say I have a 99% solid install.

The only thing I wasn't able to get to work was easystroke... I try to launch the app, but nothing ever happens. I did get right-click functionality, thanks to whoever it was that discovered the libgtkstylus fix.... qole I believe it was...

If anyone can give any suggestions on easystroke or some other gesture recognition software, please let me know. Gawd, I feel like a troll with the last several posts being mine.... Or just the only one who plays with their touchpad at work....
    NVM, I got easystroke working... lol persistance....
    Last edited by projectalarum; 08/29/2011 at 09:19 PM.
    Thanks everybody for all you hard work. This is awesome!

I am trying to map an NFS share from my HTPC to my touchpad, but I cannot install nfs-common because it tries to use Upstart (which I think I heard does not work on the Touchpad). Is there a way to work around Upstart?
    I revisited Unity today under the current build I'm using (xfce4 without any of the recommended packages) and have gotten it to work as far as navigating and using it for it's purpose, minus a few shortcomings...

I cannot get it to accept any right-click events to pin a running app to it and I also cannot pin anything to it in any other manner. Additionally, it remains overlapped across everything; Panel, all applications whether maximized or windowed, and even full screen video still cannot display over it. Anyone familiar enough with unity to provide a manual process of editing unity?

Or, has anyone had any luck progressing with the other tablet'esk launchers mentioned in this thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by zane9000 View Post
    Create a mount point
    Code:
    mkdir /mnt/vfat
    Add a line to /etc/fstab
    Code:
    /dev/mapper/store-media /mnt/vfat vfat defaults 0 0
    This should mount at reboot, if you want to mount immediately, use
    Code:
    mount /mnt/vfat
    setting up ubuntu on someone's pad who gets a lot of docs via email. What, if any, are instructions to read the webOS files without copying to ubuntu side? I thought I understood to type the above commands at the root line after starting ubuntu in the card but perhaps I was wrong or missing something?
    I got aircrack-ng, nmap and metasploit installed. NMap works great, Metasploit is a bit slow/breaks easily and Aircrack-ng is a WIP due to the fact that the wireless card is read as eth0 and not available for monitor mode. This means that hypotheticaly Backtrack users can install the plugins they need individually soon enough. Thanks again Rennat.
    Last edited by trevor.starick; 08/29/2011 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Metasploit broke
    Centrico likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by projectalarum View Post
    Exactly the thought I had when this whole adventure started.... I will be testing this out soon as well, could be useful in my line of work.
    Keep me posted on this please, I would be very interested in a solution for this.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    How do you move around on the desktop of the remote computer using RDP? I can connect to our Windows 2003 server using Terminal Service (and Rdesktop) or GRdesktop but not Remmina (for some reason the keyboard doesn't work properly). But I cannot use full screen mode using a Linux on screen keyboard and I cannot get to the parts that are "off screen" when I open in a smaller window (like 800x600).
    Quote Originally Posted by trevor.starick View Post
    I got aircrack-ng, nmap and metasploit installed. NMap works great, Metasploit is a bit slow/breaks easily and Aircrack-ng is a WIP due to the fact that the wireless card is read as eth0 and not available for monitor mode. This means that hypotheticaly Backtrack users can install the plugins they need individually soon enough. Thanks again Rennat.
    SO are you saying it is possible to put the wireless card into monitor mode or not?

What about the mini-usb, what are the chances of attaching a wireless adapter card to that...?
    Anyone had any luck getting audio to work?
    Quote Originally Posted by izzeho View Post
    Anyone had any luck getting audio to work?
    Install gamix?
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    setting up ubuntu on someone's pad who gets a lot of docs via email. What, if any, are instructions to read the webOS files without copying to ubuntu side? I thought I understood to type the above commands at the root line after starting ubuntu in the card but perhaps I was wrong or missing something?
    Can you elaborate on the problem you are having? Just taking a stab in the dark I am guessing this is giving you issues:
    Code:
    /dev/mapper/store-media /mnt/vfat vfat defaults 0 0
    becuase you are typeing that into the command prompt?

That line should be added to the end of the /etc/fstab file line by using this command:
    Code:
    echo "/dev/mapper/store-media /mnt/vfat vfat defaults 0 0" >> /etc/fstab
    Then runing:
    Code:
    mount -a
    will make everything in the webOS "USB partition (/media/internal)" show up on the Ubuntu side at /mnt/vfat.

NOTE: You can make /mnt/vfat any directory you want, as long as you remember to create it first. You may want to call it /media/internal so it will match the naming convention of webOS.
    hi everyone. I LOVE this!

I am now trying to get a "full" keyboard on ubuntu and use it instead of the HP XS one.

So I found that CellWriter seems to work nicely.

What I am now trying to do is the following:

- full screen ubuntu with no HP keyboard
    - get CellWriter to start automatically with lxde
    - get CellWriter NOT to cover the bottom bar wheh displayed.

any help? I'm a noob on this :| I'm really happy I managed to get to this point lol!