Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
Like Tree88Likes
    To those interested, I've found a build/method which seems pretty solid. For what I'm after anyways (RDP to work and Doc editing).

With a fresh install of Ubuntu Chroot, I've added the following.

Note* I've found great luck with using apt-get --no-install-recommends to reduce excess apps and I still have a fully funtional environment with next to zero problems. I know there's a way to tell apt to not install/include recommended packages, but I can't remember it for the life of me...

For a GUI/Desktop Environment i'm using xfce4:
    apt-get --no-install-recommends install xfce4

For RDP I'm using grdesktop which I've tested with Windows XP, 7, and Windows Server 2000, 2003, and 2008; locally and through VPN to my work:
    apt-get --no-install-recommends install grdesktop

VNC i'm not too worried about but it would be nice. If anyone has any suggestions on a VNC client under xfce that works well, please let me know.

I performed the same --no-install-recommends on abiword, GIMP, and Chromium; all of which function perfectly without recommended packages.

The only package that wouldn't run properly without the recommened packages was Synaptic. It installed, but would not run. Reinstalling it with the recommended packages works.

I also had a working terminal out of the box.

My biggest hitch is the keyboard... Being that I want RDP functionality more than anything, I'm trying to not use the Virtual keyboard to save space. All keys work in grdesktop during a connection. But anywhere else, the p key mainly, does not work. And it's becoming more and more of a pain. Can't do any apt statements as only upper-case p is working.... If anyone can help me with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

I want to get pidgin working with our IM service at work, however, my credentials and parts of the connection details require this damn p key......
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    Anyone using Chrome in chroot you can install this extension to add touchscreen scrolling to the browser: chromeTouch Google Chrome Extensions
    No luck installing that or any other chrome extension. It just say "installing" until it times out.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by projectalarum View Post
    To those interested, I've found a build/method which seems pretty solid. For what I'm after anyways (RDP to work and Doc editing).

With a fresh install of Ubuntu Chroot, I've added the following.

Note* I've found great luck with using apt-get --no-install-recommends to reduce excess apps and I still have a fully funtional environment with next to zero problems. I know there's a way to tell apt to not install/include recommended packages, but I can't remember it for the life of me...

For a GUI/Desktop Environment i'm using xfce4:
    apt-get --no-install-recommends install xfce4

For RDP I'm using grdesktop which I've tested with Windows XP, 7, and Windows Server 2000, 2003, and 2008; locally and through VPN to my work:
    apt-get --no-install-recommends install grdesktop

VNC i'm not too worried about but it would be nice. If anyone has any suggestions on a VNC client under xfce that works well, please let me know.

I performed the same --no-install-recommends on abiword, GIMP, and Chromium; all of which function perfectly without recommended packages.

The only package that wouldn't run properly without the recommened packages was Synaptic. It installed, but would not run. Reinstalling it with the recommended packages works.

I also had a working terminal out of the box.

My biggest hitch is the keyboard... Being that I want RDP functionality more than anything, I'm trying to not use the Virtual keyboard to save space. All keys work in grdesktop during a connection. But anywhere else, the p key mainly, does not work. And it's becoming more and more of a pain. Can't do any apt statements as only upper-case p is working.... If anyone can help me with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

I want to get pidgin working with our IM service at work, however, my credentials and parts of the connection details require this damn p key......
    You could try decimal ASCII codes.
    p= alt+112
    see http://www.december.com/html/spec/ascii.htm
    I got the chromeTouch Plugin installed via chrome itself if that helPs. It's a little slow and definitely not as smooth as the native webOS browser, but all I've really used it for is scrolling...
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_B View Post
    You could try decimal ASCII codes.
    p= alt+112
    see http://www.december.com/html/spec/ascii.htm
    I'm using the HP webOS keyboard... No Alt key...

Anyone know where/what file to edit the layout???
    Thanks OP for the army of monkeys method. makes it so much easier!

Quote Originally Posted by izzeho View Post
    So I finally bothered to try, VLC runs a dream had no issue playing 480p h264. Now if only I could sound working.
    How did you get vlc to work? I tried installing it through apt-get and through synaptic, it appears in my window manager (LXDE), but clicking VLC does nothing, as though i had never selected it.
    If anyone here is looking for a less traditional (more touchscreen friendly) window manager... you might try matchbox. It's not pretty... but it makes everything really easy to use (especially when paired with easystrokes). It even has it's own onscreen keyboard. I've tweaked my installation quite a bit and now it works perfectly.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    For those of you using a fairly nice setup, could you post a screen shot and a description of the packages you are using like projectalarum?

Here's the best I've had mine look, but it gave me problems because I Couldn't resize windows and the Unity Launcher on the left doesn't go away, so It cuts off part of every window.

That is of course if we can find a way to upload pictures to precentral from the TouchPad.

On another random note. Type Precentral on the touchpad and see what it autocorrects to.
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
    So I can't get Florence keyboard to work either, it crashes the system just like lxterminal. All my problems seem to stem from dbus and gconf and the fact that Ubuntu Natty uses upstart to launch daemons instead of init.d and upstart doesn't work in a chroot.

So those of you with working dbus configs, what are you doing differently? Are you using Ubuntu or are you using Debian? If Ubuntu, How do you start dbus? I can start the system daemon with "dbus-daemon --system --fork" as root, but I can't seem to do the same for the session server...
    This is great. BackTrack is based on Ubuntu, is it possible to install it instead?

BackTrack Linux - Penetration Testing Distribution
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaerey View Post
    For others having problems with installing I had to manually start the dbus and avahi daemons to get everything else to install.

try that and the apt-get upgrade or apt-get install gnome --fix-missing
    Just out of curiosity Kaerey, how do you do that? I mean manually starting dbus and avahi daemons?
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by projectalarum View Post
    I got the chromeTouch Plugin installed via chrome itself if that helPs. It's a little slow and definitely not as smooth as the native webOS browser, but all I've really used it for is scrolling...
    I gave it a few more tries without any success. I noticed there's a few virtual keyboard extensions for Chrome which may interest some people. They'd interest me if I could install them.

I ended up installing firefox with the grab and drag addon. It's slow going but at least I don't need a stylus.

Also tried Fennec which is allegedly a mobile browser for touch screens. It's truly wretched. I can see why Mozilla abandoned it.

My browser quest ended with Opera Mobile. I found some debs, but they'll only install on i86 machines. And I found some rpm's for ARM processors that I wasted a lot of time trying to install with alien only to get the message 'this device does not support' that package. I wasn't expecting to it to work, but occasionally I've gotten lucky.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaerey View Post
    For those of you using a fairly nice setup, could you post a screen shot and a description of the packages you are using like projectalarum?

Here's the best I've had mine look, but it gave me problems because I Couldn't resize windows and the Unity Launcher on the left doesn't go away, so It cuts off part of every window.

That is of course if we can find a way to upload pictures to precentral from the TouchPad.

On another random note. Type Precentral on the touchpad and see what it autocorrects to.
    screenshot from the touchpad (Home button and power button till you get the camera click) then email yourself the screengrab or usb it to the pc.
    Quote Originally Posted by darkstorm View Post
    Thanks OP for the army of monkeys method. makes it so much easier!

How did you get vlc to work? I tried installing it through apt-get and through synaptic, it appears in my window manager (LXDE), but clicking VLC does nothing, as though i had never selected it.
    run it through a terminal window, it will at least output an error message.
    Quote Originally Posted by qole View Post
    In order to get tap-and-hold right-click functionality in LXDE and other GTK based environments, first install libgtkstylus:
    Code:
    apt-get install libgtkstylus
    Then set the GTK_MODULES environment variable before running LXDE:
    Code:
    export GTK_MODULES=libgtkstylus.so
    Also, anyone had any luck getting either lxterminal or roxterm to start in LXDE?
    I executed both of these commands and there is no hold-to-right-click functionality gained for me. Is there something special I need to do in addition to this to get it working? I am using lxde and ran the commands via gnome-terminal (which doesn't actually show up in the applications menu - i need to run it from the command line first and then it will show up loaded within lxde) if that helps.

I assume it is as it sounds, tapping where you right-click and then a right-click menu will show up as if you used a mouse to right-click?
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    screenshot from the touchpad (Home button and power button till you get the camera click) then email yourself the screengrab or usb it to the pc.
    Yes, but you can't attach images from the TouchPad to the Forums.The browser to select the files to attach doesn't open on the TouchPad.

But that's a topic for another thread.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdurden83 View Post
    Just out of curiosity Kaerey, how do you do that? I mean manually starting dbus and avahi daemons?
    There were instructions a few pages ago on how to do something with Sim Link to get the DBUS-daemon to start. Once you do that I just typed

Start dbus and then start avahi
    cellwriter is another onscreen kb. i couldn't get onboard or florence to work

xournal is an app to do scribble notebook, it can even annotatee pdf!

found this by mistake: try turn on rotation lock on ur webos to portrait before starting xserver n chroot, then u'll have a portrait x server, to use with xournal as an electronic notebook n pdf annotator, thats what i want to use the Touchpad for! (i notice that u have to hold the touchpad in portrait while xserver is loading)

now the only problem left is how to enable palm detection so i can rest my hand on the Touchpad n scribble with a capacitive stylus, any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!
    Quote Originally Posted by bmenot View Post
    I executed both of these commands and there is no hold-to-right-click functionality gained for me. Is there something special I need to do in addition to this to get it working? I am using lxde and ran the commands via gnome-terminal (which doesn't actually show up in the applications menu - i need to run it from the command line first and then it will show up loaded within lxde) if that helps.

I assume it is as it sounds, tapping where you right-click and then a right-click menu will show up as if you used a mouse to right-click?
    export GTK_MODULES=libgtkstylus.so

this part above is done before your desktop environment is even started, basically add it to any startup script you have or type it before launching LXDE/Whatever you use.

then as mentioned in the previous relevant post, just hold your screen and rightmouse will function (requires holding till released) and if you move around too much it wont work.

after doing this i have changed my custom keymap for rightmouse via keyboard, to now emulate the escape key instead.
    Thanks for the guide.

Is there any way to set the keyboard layout to dvorak?
    When I try to do so in xfce4 the buttons are all random.
    Using the Apple bluetooth keyboard if that matters.